domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Who here believes that the thoughts and conscious experiences that we all have are non-physical in nature. I'm kind of a staunch physicalist myself but I would still like to hear an atheistic rationale behind dualism although any theist is also more than welcome to provide their own rationale, religious or otherwise.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
I'm not sure to be honest. It is hard to imagine that consciousness is simply chemical reactions going on in my head... >_>
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
I have no idea, but I find the testimony of out-of-body experiences (corroborated with the person waking up knowing things that he or she shouldn't know - otherwise Occam's Razor could simply call them hallucinations) to be very hard to get around in attempting to assert that the body is all that we are.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

I think the mind and the spirit are connected. I'm not entirely sure that they are the same thing, though. 

Also, what happened to your avatar? :o

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts
As far as I'm concerned consciousness is purely the result of neurones. I agree that some accounts of out of body experiences are very hard to explain, but I don't think dualism is a good answer.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

I believe a system of a certain degree of complexity will develop some kind of 'self', that is in a sense separate from the physical body itself but still dependant on it. That's why I don't call only my brain 'myself', my whole body is part of what makes me really ME.

It kind of ties into my religious beliefs in general - 'god' is not supernatural but only the self that is a result of, in short, everything. It's great fun to try to understand what that really means. :P

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

I'm going to assume physicalism until I see proof to the contrary.

Also wouldn't those studies that showed that the subconscious of the brain makes a decision before a person consciously does so suggest that the brain is calling the shots?

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
I think the mind is physical.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I consider myself a dualist. I believe that dreams may be an extension of the physical brain, but I maintain that the dream itself is not physical. I might be able to consider that dualism and physicalism are compatible with each other.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 domatron23

I consider myself a dualist. I believe that dreams may be an extension of the physical brain, but I maintain that the dream itself is not physical. I might be able to consider that dualism and physicalism are compatible with each other.Genetic_Code

Well you're probably not a substance dualist then, perhaps you're an epiphenomenalist.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Many Christians think that the purpose in one's life is to free the spirit from the body.  In doing this we supposedly leave the sinful flesh behind and worship God truly.  I disagree with this believe heavily as the church in Corinth believed this to be true due to Plutonian philosophies in that time.  Paul argued in one of his letters to Corinth that just as Jesus rose in body and ascended into heaven, we will do the same: both spirit/mind and body connected.  I do not believe the body can live without the spirit indwelling within.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GabuEx

As far as I'm concerned consciousness is purely the result of neurones. I agree that some accounts of out of body experiences are very hard to explain, but I don't think dualism is a good answer._glatisant_

What is a better answer then?

Also wouldn't those studies that showed that the subconscious of the brain makes a decision before a person consciously does so suggest that the brain is calling the shots?

Funky_Llama

I don't see why that would be the case. If there is indeed something other than the body, it seems to me that the subconscious would be part of that thing as much as the conscious.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

[QUOTE="_glatisant_"]As far as I'm concerned consciousness is purely the result of neurones. I agree that some accounts of out of body experiences are very hard to explain, but I don't think dualism is a good answer.GabuEx

Funky_Llama

I don't see why that would be the case. If there is indeed something other than the body, it seems to me that the subconscious would be part of that thing as much as the conscious.

I rescind my previous comment. >_>
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I consider myself a dualist. I believe that dreams may be an extension of the physical brain, but I maintain that the dream itself is not physical. I might be able to consider that dualism and physicalism are compatible with each other.Genetic_Code

Surely asserting both dualism and physicalism is a contradiction.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
you all know that I'm a dualist, and why I'm a dualist
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 domatron23
Yeah I know you're a dualist but I never really figured out what kind of dualist you are. Are you a substance dualist or an epiphenomenalist or maybe a property dualist?
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danwallacefan

Yeah I know you're a dualist but I never really figured out what kind of dualist you are. Are you a substance dualist or an epiphenomenalist or maybe a property dualist?domatron23
I'm pretty sure substance and property dualism is the same thing.

but yeah, I'm a property and substance dualist.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx

Yeah I know you're a dualist but I never really figured out what kind of dualist you are. Are you a substance dualist or an epiphenomenalist or maybe a property dualist?domatron23

Obscure philosophy terminology hurts my brain. :P

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Yeah I know you're a dualist but I never really figured out what kind of dualist you are. Are you a substance dualist or an epiphenomenalist or maybe a property dualist?danwallacefan

From wikipedia

"Property dualism describes a category of positions in the philosophy of mind which holds that while the world is constituted of just one kind of substance - the physical kind - there exist two distinct kinds of properties: physical properties and mental properties. In other words, it is the view that non-physical, mental properties (such as beliefs, desires and emotions) inhere in some physical substances (namely brains).

Substance dualism, on the other hand, is the view that there exist two kinds of substance: physical and non-physical (the mind), and subsequently also two kinds of properties which adhere in those respective substances."

Which one?

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Yeah I know you're a dualist but I never really figured out what kind of dualist you are. Are you a substance dualist or an epiphenomenalist or maybe a property dualist?domatron23

From wikipedia

"Property dualism describes a category of positions in the philosophy of mind which holds that while the world is constituted of just one kind of substance - the physical kind - there exist two distinct kinds of properties: physical properties and mental properties. In other words, it is the view that non-physical, mental properties (such as beliefs, desires and emotions) inhere in some physical substances (namely brains).

Substance dualism, on the other hand, is the view that there exist two kinds of substance: physical and non-physical (the mind), and subsequently also two kinds of properties which adhere in those respective substances."

Which one?

well then I'm a substance dualist, given that substance dualism asserts property dualism
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts
Being a very logic-minded person, I am a physicalist.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 danwallacefan
Being a very logic-minded person, I am a physicalist.Stryder1212
what makes substance dualism illogical?
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Stryder1212

[QUOTE="Stryder1212"]Being a very logic-minded person, I am a physicalist.danwallacefan

I wasn't implying it was not logical, rather it is the physical explanation which has the most evidence, so I choose to believe that which is most likely to be true.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]Being a very logic-minded person, I am a physicalist.Stryder1212

I wasn't implying it was not logical, rather it is the physical explanation which has the most evidence, so I choose to believe that which is most likely to be true.

ooookay then. So tell me, what evidence do you have for physicalism? it would seem that physical evidence could never establish physicalism.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 helium_flash
[QUOTE="Stryder1212"]

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]Being a very logic-minded person, I am a physicalist.danwallacefan

ooookay then. So tell me, what evidence do you have for physicalism? it would seem that physical evidence could never establish physicalism.

I think it is more of a matter about the lack of evidence backing a non physicalist approach. Besides out of body experiences (which I've heard have been proven wrong but I'm not sure), I've never seen any proof for a non-physicalist approach.

Although I'm not too convinced on either.

Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stryder1212
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]Being a very logic-minded person, I am a physicalist.helium_flash

I think it is more of a matter about the lack of evidence backing a non physicalist approach. Besides out of body experiences (which I've heard have been proven wrong but I'm not sure), I've never seen any proof for a non-physicalist approach.

Right, see an "out-of-body" experience is the closest thing I've heard of that comes close to being evidence for a non-phyiscalist approach. And even that is a rather flimsy piece of evidence, as perfectly rational explanations exist to counter any other non-physicalist explanations.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GabuEx

Right, see an "out-of-body" experience is the closest thing I've heard of that comes close to being evidence for a non-phyiscalist approach. And even that is a rather flimsy piece of evidence, as perfectly rational explanations exist to counter any other non-physicalist explanations.

Stryder1212

I would agree, if it weren't for the cases of a person reporting an out-of-body experience while being operated on and then relaying certain facts that the person shouldn't have known. I find it difficult to simply explain it as a hallucination in those situations.

Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stryder1212
[QUOTE="Stryder1212"]

GabuEx

I would agree, if it weren't for the cases of a person reporting an out-of-body experience while being operated on and then relaying certain facts that the person shouldn't have known. I find it difficult to simply explain it as a hallucination in those situations.

Have a look, Gabu: http://users.erols.com/igoddard/paranorm.htm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5a79221380856
@domatron: Perhaps I'm a physicalist then. I'll have to research this topic more when I get a chance.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 domatron23

@domatron: Perhaps I'm a physicalist then. I'll have to research this topic more when I get a chance.Genetic_Code

Yup I reckon it's well worth looking into. Perhaps you're a property dualist?

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

[QUOTE="_glatisant_"]As far as I'm concerned consciousness is purely the result of neurones. I agree that some accounts of out of body experiences are very hard to explain, but I don't think dualism is a good answer.GabuEx

I don't know, but dualism would stray so far from scientific thought about the function of the brain that it would be an explanation I would be very reluctant to accept, even with a complete lack of an alternative.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]Being a very logic-minded person, I am a physicalist.helium_flash

well if all you have to go on is the mere lack of evidence for substance dualism, then you can't call yourself a physicalist, as that would entail a positive claim to knowledge.

but if out-of-body experiences are the best you've seen, then that's pretty sad. The evidence for substance dualism mainly revolves around many thought experiments which seem to make no sense unless there is a non-physical mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5a79221380856

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]@domatron: Perhaps I'm a physicalist then. I'll have to research this topic more when I get a chance.domatron23

Yup I reckon it's well worth looking into. Perhaps you're a property dualist?

Yeah, that's the term I was looking for. I like Wikipedia's analogy of a waving hand which can mean good-bye or hello. 

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Stryder1212"]Being a very logic-minded person, I am a physicalist.danwallacefan

well if all you have to go on is the mere lack of evidence for substance dualism, then you can't call yourself a physicalist, as that would entail a positive claim to knowledge.

but if out-of-body experiences are the best you've seen, then that's pretty sad. The evidence for substance dualism mainly revolves around many thought experiments which seem to make no sense unless there is a non-physical mind.

I never claimed I was a physicalist; I said I wasn't convinced by either argument on both sides.

And since apparently I'm "sad" ( :roll: ), why don't you share some of this evidence you talk of?