Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

I heard this pragmatic argument on the radio, I thought I'd share it here.

State sanctioned executions should be maintained, but only used in extremely heinous cases because not having a death penalty would create an incentive for a criminal to murder witnesses to his crimes.

Consider an individual who is committing a robbery who, if caught, would be up against some sort of "three strikes" legislation and, if convicted, would be sent to prison for the rest of his life without the chance of parole. That individual would have an incentive to reduce the chance of being convicted which means getting rid of witnesses. If there was no death penalty, there would be no difference in the punishment of his robbery and the punishment of murder.

The criminal would be more likely to commit murder because the act cannot hurt him anymore and it could help him.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

If anything that's an argument against excessive punishments like the three strikes law.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
Well, how would you treat repeat offenders? Somebody who has been convicted of the same crime multiple times clearly shows no intention reformation.  
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Well, how would you treat repeat offenders? Somebody who has been convicted of the same crime multiple times clearly shows no intention reformation.   Frattracide

Well for one thing the prison system is broken in this country because all Joe Normal and the politicians who cater to him care about are punishing offenders, not reforming them (most people equate "justice" with "revenge"). As a result, not only do offenders not learn any better habits, but they actually learn WORSE ones because of the sociology that we allow to run rampant in prisons. It's a delicious irony that minor criminals who go into prison actually come out as better more hardened criminals. If you want to fix reciedivism you need to fix the penal system. As it turns out harsher punishments don't actually do much to deter criminals since the vast majority of prisoners who are in for non-drug related reasons are prisoners because they lacked impulse control and forethought to begin with.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Hmm... the death penalty as a deterrent from committing crimes? Interesting.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Hmm... the death penalty as a deterrent from committing crimes? Interesting.foxhound_fox

Amputation could be an even more effective deterrent - so long as the amputation was relevant to the crime committed. 

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#7 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Hmm... the death penalty as a deterrent from committing crimes? Interesting.RationalAtheist

Amputation could be an even more effective deterrent - so long as the amputation was relevant to the crime committed. 

Such as theft.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Hmm... the death penalty as a deterrent from committing crimes? Interesting.SpinoRaptor24

Such as theft.

Exactly. Anywhere from 1 to 10 digits for small and medium thefts, or above the elbows for something more serious. First-time offenders could get cautionary tattoos - showing the areas to be amputated next time.

Or stoning. 

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

This would really seem to be an argument just in favor of not making the punishment for robbery the same as the punishment for murder, not necessarily in favor of a specific punishment for either offense.  If the punishment for robbery and murder was death in both cases, then you'd have the exact same problem.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RationalAtheist

This would really seem to be an argument just in favor of not making the punishment for robbery the same as the punishment for murder, not necessarily in favor of a specific punishment for either offense.  If the punishment for robbery and murder was death in both cases, then you'd have the exact same problem.

GabuEx

OK, how about enforced coma then? 

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RationalAtheist

What I'm really saying - past all the absurd implications - is that an intellectual discussion about barbarism is absurd.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpinoRaptor24

What I'm really saying - past all the absurd implications - is that an intellectual discussion about barbarism is absurd.

RationalAtheist

I know they may sound barbaric, but some of these laws are really effective. You go to Saudi Arabia and most people there don't even need to lock up their stores because thievery is a rarity over there.

Trust me, when you see someone have their hand amputated because of theft, you'll never want to steal anything ever again.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabuEx

SpinoRaptor24

I know they may sound barbaric, but some of these laws are really effective. You go to Saudi Arabia and most people there don't even need to lock up their stores because thievery is a rarity over there.

Trust me, when you see someone have their hand amputated because of theft, you'll never want to steal anything ever again.

If you made the punishment for every crime from jaywalking to murder death and seriously carried out these punishments, I would imagine that the crime rate in your country would rather significantly drop - but that doesn't exactly make that the best option.  A justice system solely concerned with crime rates is not a very good justice system.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RationalAtheist

SpinoRaptor24

I don't doubt that these laws are effective at maiming people. They sound barbaric because they are barbaric. I notice over 18000 car thefts in Saudi in 2002. That's rather a lot, considering most of the thieves wouldn't be able to turn a key.

I don't want to and will never go to Saudi Arabia. This is because they maintain a crazy justice system that persecutes their population and is overly-restrictive and proscriptive of their guests. It also seems one of the most intolerant and self-righteous cultures on the planet. Trust me, when you see videos of people being stoned to death, you'll never want to trust a Sharia regime again.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpinoRaptor24

If you made the punishment for every crime from jaywalking to murder death and seriously carried out these punishments, I would imagine that the crime rate in your country would rather significantly drop - but that doesn't exactly make that the best option.  A justice system solely concerned with crime rates is not a very good justice system.

GabuEx

We wouldn't punish every crime with death, that would obviously be extreme and absurd. Crimes like murder should be dealt with death. A person who kills someone unjustly does not deserve to live.

I don't doubt that these laws are effective at maiming people. They sound barbaric because they are barbaric. I notice over 18000 car thefts in Saudi in 2002. That's rather a lot, considering most of the thieves wouldn't be able to turn a key.

I don't want to and will never go to Saudi Arabia. This is because they maintain a crazy justice system that persecutes their population and is overly-restrictive and proscriptive of their guests. It also seems one of the most intolerant and self-righteous cultures on the planet. Trust me, when you see videos of people being stoned to death, you'll never want to trust a Sharia regime again.

RationalAtheist

Amputating the hand would deter a lot of people away from theft, as opposed to a $50 fine or a month in jail. I believe that unless you're on the brink of starving to death, you should never steal anything. 

I too wouldn't want to live in Saudi Arabia, considering how corrupted and extreme their Government is. However, I don't think you should condemn the Sharia laws over stoning, especially when the people who commit Adultery deserve it.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

SpinoRaptor24

We wouldn't punish every crime with death, that would obviously be extreme and absurd. Crimes like murder should be dealt with death. A person who kills someone unjustly does not deserve to live.

I'm curious: what is the determinant for whether or not a person deserves to live, and from what basis is it derived?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Android339

A justice system based on stopping crime is not a very good justice system?

As I said: making the punishment for every single crime death would probably cause crime to drop significantly - but that does not make that a good justice system.  A justice system that tramples on human rights as it lowers crime rates is a poor justice system.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpinoRaptor24

I'm curious: what is the determinant for whether or not a person deserves to live, and from what basis is it derived?

GabuEx

As I said before, killing someone unjustly. Eye for an eye.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

As I said: making the punishment for every single crime death would probably cause crime to drop significantly - but that does not make that a good justice system.  A justice system that tramples on human rights as it lowers crime rates is a poor justice system.

Android339

I understand what you said. I'm just asking questions.

How is punishing someone for a crime trampling on their human rights? Especially if they consciously committed the crime and knew of a possible punishment (i.e. death) that would follow?

I see the right to be as a fundamental right.

So murdering a murderer is trampling with their fundamental human right.

I think murderers mostly kill for other reasons than to think they can get away with it.

As for the "eye for an eye" argument, I thought this reasoning was responsible for so much retaliation and vengefulness. One huge advantage of Christianity over Islam is that there's an inherent expectation of forgiveness implicit with the faith that is missing in the Muslin doctrine, where equal vengence is allowed. I'm with Ghandi, who said "an eye for an eye ... ends up making everyone blind".

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox
Eye for an eye.SpinoRaptor24

I just want to slip in here for a second and bring up an old Jewish idea regarding this...

If a blind man takes a seeing man's vision (i.e. damages or removes his eyes), then how is it just to take that blind man's eyes as punishment for his crime since he already cannot see and taking his eyes would not be equal?

What can be drawn from this is that taking from the criminal what they took from their victim is not necessary. One must only seek restitution on the same level as the crime committed. Such as seeking monetary compensation to pay for the training and support of a seeing eye dog, and money to cover expenses while the newly blinded person finds a means of supporting themselves.

Killing a killer isn't justice, it is merely an emotional knee-jerk reaction of revenge in the guise of justice. It isn't necessary. Which is what is wrong with the entire Western "justice" system these days... its all about punishment, not restitution for the victims and rehabilitation for the criminals.

Though, there is a light at the end of the tunnel... recently here in Winnipeg, a judge ordered a serial car thief to pay for all the Autopac (insurance) damages he caused, which totalled well over $100,000. Which is far better than the probationary sentences they've been receiving that see them back on the streets stealing cars after a few months. It also helps us who pay insurance to not have increased premiums as the result of stupidity on the part of the criminal. THAT is justice.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RationalAtheist

I see the right to be as a fundamental right.

So murdering a murderer is trampling with their fundamental human right.

Android339

Is the "right to be" a fundamental right for one who has taken that right from others? Does it matter how many people he murdered? For instance, what if someone killed 100 people in either a long drawn out period of time or in something extravagant like a bomb explosion as opposed to just killing 1 person? Does the justice system have to respect his "right to be" while having taxpayers pay for his prison expenses and rehabilitation?

Yes, no and yes. If you murder a murderer, you vindicate what they do and mirror their values. 

I think murderers mostly kill for other reasons than to think they can get away with it.

Android339

So the death penalty has no influence in your eyes in deterring criminals?

I think stats overwhelmingly show the death penalty has no effect on murder rates - particularly comparing the UK and US. I heard anecdotally that in some places in the USA, you can actually prolong your expected lifespan by killing someone, since you'll outlive your peers while on death row.

Stats:

USA - 428 murders per million people

UK - 141 murders per million people

(from here

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RationalAtheist

So is punishment in any sense ever justified? In what way would you hold murderers accountable for their actions?

Android339

I think so. though I wouldn't hold murderers accountable personally. I can leave that to judges who will never execute a criminal. I think the penal reform system needs some serious investigation and investment though. But I think the more serious problems are the underlying and fundamental ones in society that drive people to murder in the first place. 

I actually read from Amnesty International USA that states that have no death penalty have consistently lower murder rates than states that do have the death penalty. I don't want to take the statistic at face value without exploring other options, although the statistics do seem to agree. The death penalty has little effect on the deterrence of murderers from a statistical standpoint.

Android339

Amnesty International are hardly unbiased! And I would say the situation in the US is rather distorted because of the ready acceptance of gun-ownership in most places there. The reality is that there is no moral argument for murder (I don't think eyes for eyes is moral) and there is no particular deterrent effect either.  

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

One must only seek restitution on the same level as the crime committed. Such as seeking monetary compensation to pay for the training and support of a seeing eye dog, and money to cover expenses while the newly blinded person finds a means of supporting themselves.
foxhound_fox

Islam actually has that in Sharia, and it's even encouraged, although the eye for an eye law still exists.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpinoRaptor24

Islam actually has that in Sharia, and it's even encouraged, although the eye for an eye law still exists.

ghoklebutter

Yes, that is called Diyat in Islam (Blood Money) in which the offender must pay his or her victim some form of compensation. However, the victim can still choose retaliation should he or she refuse Diyat.

Did you not just say, though, that adultery is deserving of stoning?

Android339

Yes.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox

ghoklebutter

That and the whole idea of a debtor dropping the debt of someone who can't pay being a virtue is one of the things about Islam I liked.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GabuEx
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

foxhound_fox

That and the whole idea of a debtor dropping the debt of someone who can't pay being a virtue is one of the things about Islam I liked.

The Islamic ban on interest is another that I like. 

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RationalAtheist

GabuEx

Could you explain more about this ban please?

By the way, I hope everyone's watched Pat Condell's latest video - its highly relevant.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SpinoRaptor24
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

RationalAtheist

By the way, I hope everyone's watched Pat Condell's latest video - its highly relevant.

I don't know much about it, but many forms of usury are considered grave sins in Islam. And ugh, Pat Condell? If you watch his videos, you'll see that most of his arguments amount to "I don't understand their Religion, so I hate it!".

He pits Islam with Islamic countries who most of the time don't even seem to follow Sharia laws properly (or at all). Exactly where, in Islam, is it ok to execute children? Because Pat certainly didn't mention it in the video, yet he still associates it with Sharia anyway.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

SpinoRaptor24

I don't know much about it, but many forms of usury are considered grave sins in Islam. And ugh, Pat Condell? If you watch his videos, you'll see that most of his arguments amount to "I don't understand their Religion, so I hate it!".

He pits Islam with Islamic countries who most of the time don't even seem to follow Sharia laws properly (or at all). Exactly where, in Islam, is it ok to execute children? Because Pat certainly didn't mention it in the video, yet he still associates it with Sharia anyway.

That's not a problem, since I wasn't asking you - unless you think its a problem that you don't know much about (again) what you defend.

I think you yourself talked up Saudi Arabia as a shining example of non-thievery (before you said it was a corrupt Sharia regime) earlier in this very thread.

Your complaint about Pat is that you think he does not understand your faith, but you also say that you don't understand it either. I can believe that, just as I can believe the Islamics he mentions are trying to make it illegal in Europe to criticise Islam.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

RationalAtheist

What's to explain?  Islam says that people should not take or give interest.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand where this thread is going, but the death penalty has never worked because it gives the government undue power over deciding people's lives. While it may sound like a suitable form of punishment in specific cases, the effect it has on society is one that creates angry mobs of people calling for the execution of others. Some of these others may not just be actual criminals, but could be minority groups like gay people, in which gay people in particular are unjustly persecuted in many countries. While Saudi Arabia may have low crime rates, it has an extremely poor human rights record, and is one of the least free nations on earth, that is only successful because of its massive oil exports. Not only that, but the issue of the death penalty is one that's close to home for me. During the Troubles of Northern Ireland, you had several people that were arrested by the police, and convicted with charges of terrorism. You can read all about it here, but those people convicted were later found to be innocent and were released, whenever they could have been sentenced to death. The entire situation was used as propaganda by the IRA (Irish Republican Army, an internationally recognised terrorist organisation), as proof that the British government was targeting specific groups of people in particular, and thus, its membership grew and it was able to carry out even more terrorist acts. I could continue explaining more reasons why the death penalty does not work, but the proof is in the pudding. The states that still exercise the death penalty today are usually dictatorships that want to hold onto their extensive and unrestrained power. The states that do not exercise the death penalty are liberal democracies, where the people are free to pursue their happiness. To finish, as Ghandi said: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." ;)
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SpinoRaptor24

That's not a problem, since I wasn't asking you - unless you think its a problem that you don't know much about (again) what you defend.

I think you yourself talked up Saudi Arabia as a shining example of non-thievery (before you said it was a corrupt Sharia regime) earlier in this very thread.

Your complaint about Pat is that you think he does not understand your faith, but you also say that you don't understand it either. I can believe that, just as I can believe the Islamics he mentions are trying to make it illegal in Europe to criticise Islam.

RationalAtheist

You have a point. Very well then. I'll watch what I say next time. But I still don't like his smug and arrogant attitude, and his snide comments are uncalled for.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RationalAtheist

GabuEx

I don't think it does - that's what's to explain. I think there is a distinction between "Fa'eda" and "Reba" - usury, or excessive interest and "acceptable" interest. Obviously, Islamic financial agreements can and do involve ethical interest payments.

I thought you'd know better than to give ill-formed generalisations about what "Islam says". 

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

RationalAtheist

I don't think it does - that's what's to explain. I think there is a distinction between "Fa'eda" and "Reba" - usury, or excessive interest and "acceptable" interest. Obviously, Islamic financial agreements can and do involve ethical interest payments.

I thought you'd know better than to give ill-formed generalisations about what "Islam says". 

Literally every source I can find except for that one says otherwise.

"Every loan in which it is stipulated that something extra must be paid back is haraam, with no difference of scholarly opinion. Ibn al-Mundhir said: [the scholars] are unanimously agreed that if the lender stipulates that the borrower must pay extra or give him a gift, and he lends him money on that basis, then accepting the extra payment is riba."

"Islam prohibits the taking or giving of interest or riba, regardless of the purpose of the loan, or the rates at which interest is charged.  'Riba' includes the whole concept of effortless profit or earnings that comes without work or value added production."

"Ribâ literally means increase, addition, expansion or growth. It is, however not every increase or growth which has been prohibited by Islam. Profit also leads to an increase in the principal amount, but it has not been prohibited. So what has been prohibited?  The best person to answer this question is the Prophet himself, peace and blessings of God be on him. He prohibited the taking of even a small gift, service or favour as a condition for the loan. This answer of the Prophet equates ribâ with what is commonly understood to be interest. This meaning of ribâ has become reflected in the writings of all scholars in Muslim history."

"Anyone who deals with interest - gives interest or takes interest - he is waging a war with Almighty God Allah and with the messenger prophet."

"The definition of Interest, the literal meaning of interest or Al-Riba as it is used in the arabic language means to excess or increase. In the Islamic terminology interest means effortless profit or that profit which comes free from compensation or that extra earning obtained that is free of exchange. Riba has been described as a loan with the condition that the borrower will return to the lender more than and better than the quantity borrowed.  As muslims, our main concern when it comes to financial transactions is to avoid Riba in any of its forms, despite the fact that the basic foundation of the world economics and finance today is that of riba and dealing in usury."

Et cetera.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Literally every source I can find except for that one says otherwise.

"Every loan in which it is stipulated that something extra must be paid back is haraam, with no difference of scholarly opinion. Ibn al-Mundhir said: [the scholars] are unanimously agreed that if the lender stipulates that the borrower must pay extra or give him a gift, and he lends him money on that basis, then accepting the extra payment is riba."

So, technically, what are the differences between buying a house from a Sharia bank and from a non-Sharia bank? You say you like the "no interest" stance from the Islamics, but don't you mind the "profit"?

"Islam prohibits the taking or giving of interest or riba, regardless of the purpose of the loan, or the rates at which interest is charged.  'Riba' includes the whole concept of effortless profit or earnings that comes without work or value added production."

GabuEx

It is rather baffling to me why the "risk" on an investment isn't considered worthy by this speaker for the Islamic Finance Council in Scotland, when the profit from a loan on a house is.

"Ribâ literally means increase, addition, expansion or growth. It is, however not every increase or growth which has been prohibited by Islam. Profit also leads to an increase in the principal amount, but it has not been prohibited. So what has been prohibited?  The best person to answer this question is the Prophet himself, peace and blessings of God be on him. He prohibited the taking of even a small gift, service or favour as a condition for the loan. This answer of the Prophet equates ribâ with what is commonly understood to be interest. This meaning of ribâ has become reflected in the writings of all scholars in Muslim history."

GabuEx

The best person to answer it is probably the one who made it up, since its utterly incomprehensible and contradictory! 

Have you seen this bank's home and motor finance pages? How is getting the bank to buy your car for more than it's worth any different to them loaning you the money?

"Anyone who deals with interest - gives interest or takes interest - he is waging a war with Almighty God Allah and with the messenger prophet."

GabuEx

I can see how this silly sentiment arrived in the Muslim doctrine. But I can't see how people are blindly accepting it while pretending they are doing something else that's far more worthy.

"The definition of Interest, the literal meaning of interest or Al-Riba as it is used in the arabic language means to excess or increase. In the Islamic terminology interest means effortless profit or that profit which comes free from compensation or that extra earning obtained that is free of exchange. Riba has been described as a loan with the condition that the borrower will return to the lender more than and better than the quantity borrowed.  As muslims, our main concern when it comes to financial transactions is to avoid Riba in any of its forms, despite the fact that the basic foundation of the world economics and finance today is that of riba and dealing in usury."

Et cetera.

GabuEx

Oooh dear - Does that mean Islamics are against global economics? What about Fa'eda?

This place has an apr of 7.2 - not bad!

If that's what you like, I can accept that. 

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SpinoRaptor24
I never knew "Islamics" was a word.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RationalAtheist

I never knew "Islamics" was a word.SpinoRaptor24

You learn something new every day (- so my Dad used to say). I do get slightly confused between the true meanings of Islamists, Islamics, Muslims, etc. 

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpinoRaptor24

Second page of Google search.

How about that.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#44 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

When Islam was introduced there was NO such thing as "inflation", the laws of the pre-inflation era are not worth anything now. But obviously for the deluded all they know is that interest is haraam. The majority of "educated" muslims in pakistan DO take and give interest so I dont care what the scholarly verdict is, clearly many people have the brains to not follow such a stupid thing.

Where is the alternative to interest? If you think islamic banking then you will dissapoint me gabu as they simply change the terminology when practically it's the same thing. Clearly the creator of islam had no idea where the world was going and now so many of his rules are completely impractical.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SpinoRaptor24
Taking interest from personal loans is what Islam prohibited. For instance, if I lend you 1,000 dollars, then according to Islam, it is totally sinful for me to take advantage of you and have you sign an agreement saying that you will return 1,500 to me with in let's say 1 year.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RationalAtheist

Taking interest from personal loans is what Islam prohibited. For instance, if I lend you 1,000 dollars, then according to Islam, it is totally sinful for me to take advantage of you and have you sign an agreement saying that you will return 1,500 to me with in let's say 1 year.SpinoRaptor24

That's 50% APR. I could get a far better deal if I shopped around!

What happens for late payments? 

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SpinoRaptor24

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]Taking interest from personal loans is what Islam prohibited. For instance, if I lend you 1,000 dollars, then according to Islam, it is totally sinful for me to take advantage of you and have you sign an agreement saying that you will return 1,500 to me with in let's say 1 year.RationalAtheist

It was an example. A sin is a sin whether it's in small or large amounts. Most people, when taking a mortgage loan, will probably end up paying well above a house's market value.

You shouldn't charge interest even on late payments. 

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RationalAtheist

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]Taking interest from personal loans is what Islam prohibited. For instance, if I lend you 1,000 dollars, then according to Islam, it is totally sinful for me to take advantage of you and have you sign an agreement saying that you will return 1,500 to me with in let's say 1 year.SpinoRaptor24

It was an example. A sin is a sin whether it's in small or large amounts. Most people, when taking a mortgage loan, will probably end up paying well above a house's market value.

You shouldn't charge interest even on late payments. 

I don't susbscribe to Islam, so I'm ok with doing as I wish regarding interest rates. The Islamic banks are too, although they "say" they don't charge interest, but make "profit" instead. The "profit" made would equal the interest, like in your example above (where 1500 dollars represents the ROI made charging 50%APR for 1 year on 1000 dollars).

Why can't you tell me the real difference between interest charged on a loan and profit made on it? The Islamic banks Gabu linked to earlier couldn't explain this.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SpinoRaptor24
Because Muslim scholars often differ on what kind of loans and payments constitute as Riba. I don't know what Muslim banks do or don't do, as I said before I have little knowledge on the subject of interest.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RationalAtheist

Because Muslim scholars often differ on what kind of loans and payments constitute as Riba. I don't know what Muslim banks do or don't do, as I said before I have little knowledge on the subject of interest.SpinoRaptor24

Although I respect you for speaking your mind, I do find it odd that you defend what you don't understand.