danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

If the past is beginningless, then the amount of events before now is literally infinite.

So if the past is infinite, then we are still adding to that past as present moments succeed one another. 

In essense, we have created an infinite through successive addition. 

So this would mean that the present moment is point "infinity" in this set

But there is no point "infinity" in infinite set theory.

Ergo, there's a contradiction. 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
Yes a contradiction in terms of language and finite perception of something infinite. ;)
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 danwallacefan

Yes a contradiction in terms of language and finite perception of something infinite. ;)Teenaged
No, its not the result of a "finite perception of something infinite". If the past is infinite then it follows necessarily that we have formed an infinite through successive addition, hence requiring us to label any point in the past as 'point infinity'. But there is no point "infinity" in an infinite set. Its not some sort of integer.

To say that there is no unit 'infinity' in an infinite set, and yet say that infinites can be formed through successive addition is a flat contradiction. 

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
Yup, good argument. There was obviously a beginning.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Teenaged

Yup, good argument. There was obviously a beginning.Lansdowne5
Obviously.

>_>

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
I don't think you can add something up to infinity. Infinity is not a quantity, so I don't think anybody makes the claim that infinities can be formed through successive addition.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I don't even understand what this argument is trying to say.  If you have the set R- = {x : x is in R and x < 0}, you can then very easily create the new set R- U {0}, which has a new element.  There is no contradiction here whatsoever - 0 is not "point infinity"; it's just a new element in an infinite set.

No offense, but these discussions on infinity would be much easier if you thoroughly learned set theory beforehand.

An argument is not good just because you agree with the conclusion. :P  I see this all the time, and I've never understood it.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 danwallacefan
I don't think you can add something up to infinity. Infinity is not a quantity, so I don't think anybody makes the claim that infinities can be formed through successive addition.Frattracide
and THIS is where the problem lies. To say that the past is infinite necessarily implies that we have just formed an infinite amount of moments.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 danwallacefan

I don't even understand what this argument is trying to say.  If you have the set R- = {x : x is in R and x < 0}, you can then very easily create the new set R- U {0}, which has a new element.  There is no contradiction here whatsoever - 0 is not "point infinity"; it's just a new element in an infinite set.

No offense, but these discussions on infinity would be much easier if you thoroughly learned set theory beforehand.
GabuEx

its very easy to understand why there is no point "infinity" in an infinite set.

furthermore, its not just adding one unit to an infinite, its CREATING an infinite set through successive addition. But surely this cannot be done. 

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

Yep, ovbiously there was not a beginning.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
To say that the past is infinite necessarily implies that we have just formed an infinite amount of moments. danwallacefan
No, it doesn't. It implies that time stretches back into an infinite past, and since we are finite creatures, I strongly doubt we have anything to do with that. :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GabuEx

furthermore, its not just adding one unit to an infinite, its CREATING an infinite set through successive addition. But surely this cannot be done. 

danwallacefan

Sure it can.  You just need to add a new item an infinite number of times.  I can create the set of natural numbers by adding 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then... well, you get the idea.  If you do this in a regular, finite interval of time (any regular, finite interval will do), you'll have an infinite-sized set after an infinite time if you keep at it the entire time.  For example, if you add an item to a set each second, and if you consider a span of time equal in number of seconds to the size of the set of natural numbers, then by the time that span of time has elapsed, you'll have a set equal in size to the set of natural numbers, built by adding one item at a time.

Thus, this is only impossible if there cannot be such a thing as an infinite amount of time elapsed in the past - but, considering that your entire argument is trying to show that this cannot be the case, you have effectively shown only that there cannot be an infinite amount of time elapsed if there cannot be an infinite amount of time elapsed.  And, needless to say, that is a tautology, not an argument that proves anything.

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
Wait, what is this debate even about? What does the past being finite/infinite have anything to do with theism/atheism?
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

GabuEx

Sure it can.  You just need to add a new item an infinite number of times.  I can create the set of natural numbers by adding 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then... well, you get the idea.  If you do this in a regular, finite interval of time (any regular, finite interval will do), you'll have an infinite-sized set after an infinite time if you keep at it the entire time.  For example, if you add an item to a set each second, and if you consider a span of time equal in number of seconds to the size of the set of natural numbers, then by the time that span of time has elapsed, you'll have a set equal in size to the set of natural numbers, built by adding one item at a time.

Thus, this is only impossible if there cannot be such a thing as an infinite amount of time elapsed in the past - but, considering that your entire argument is trying to show that this cannot be the case, you have effectively shown only that there cannot be an infinite amount of time elapsed if there cannot be an infinite amount of time elapsed.  And, needless to say, that is a tautology, not an argument that proves anything.

Sure you can actually create an infinite through adding to a set over an infinite period of time, but the problem is that the amount of time is a set. So in attempting to prove that infinites can be created through successive addition, you're begging the question. Second, to say that we HAVE created an infinite set through successive addition, you almost treat infinite as an integer, which is absurd as you so eloquently demonstrated much earlier.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

Wait, what is this debate even about? What does the past being finite/infinite have anything to do with theism/atheism?bean-with-bacon

I was asking myself the same thing. 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Teenaged

[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]Wait, what is this debate even about? What does the past being finite/infinite have anything to do with theism/atheism?_Tobli_

Well its relevant.

If the past stretches into the ...past infinitely then thats a good indication that god didnt have to exist or generally be the reason for everything around us, because simply the idea of a begining-less universe kinda refutes the idea of god. (at least the Abrahamic god)

But if there is a begining then surely God can be chronologically be "placed" before its begining leaving room for argumentation in favor of him being the creator.

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
[QUOTE="_Tobli_"]

[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]Wait, what is this debate even about? What does the past being finite/infinite have anything to do with theism/atheism?Teenaged

Well its relevant.

If the past stretches into the ...past infinitely then thats a good indication that god didnt have to exist or generally be the reason for everything around us, because simply the idea of a begining-less universe kinda refutes the idea of god. (at least the Abrahamic god)

But if there is a begining then surely God can be chronologically be "placed" before its begining leaving room for argumentation in favor of him being the creator.

Well sure but how is it a relevant argument? I don't think there are any probable hypothesis's that treat the universe as having no beginning, so it's kind of a pointless debate isn't it?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChiliDragon
If the past stretches into the ...past infinitely then thats a good indication that god didnt have to exist or generally be the reason for everything around us, because simply the idea of a begining-less universe kinda refutes the idea of god. (at least the Abrahamic god)Teenaged
Technically, no. God is attributed with creating "heaven and earth", not whatever else exists around them. ;)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]If the past stretches into the ...past infinitely then thats a good indication that god didnt have to exist or generally be the reason for everything around us, because simply the idea of a begining-less universe kinda refutes the idea of god. (at least the Abrahamic god)ChiliDragon
Technically, no. God is attributed with creating "heaven and earth", not whatever else exists around them. ;)

Well to many, this, in an allegoric fashion, might represent the whole universe.

And it makes sense to me too, because if god didnt create everything then he is not that omnipotent, because if he just created heaven and earth (meaning Earth as a planet) then who created the rest planets and the rest of the universe?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Good try but no cigar this time unfortunately. It's all peachy until you say that the present moment is point infinity, as if to imply that ten seconds ago we were not at infinity. Like I said in my other thread if there is no beginning then successive addition will lead to infinity and regardless of whether or not moments in time are being added it still stays at infinity.

So yeah, no contradiction.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]If the past stretches into the ...past infinitely then thats a good indication that god didnt have to exist or generally be the reason for everything around us, because simply the idea of a begining-less universe kinda refutes the idea of god. (at least the Abrahamic god)Teenaged

Well to many, this, in an allegoric fashion, might represent the whole universe.

And it makes sense to me too, because if god didnt create everything then he is not that omnipotent, because if he just created heaven and earth (meaning Earth as a planet) then who created the rest planets and the rest of the universe?

Granted... I should probably have been honest and mentioned that I actually don't take this particular side of the theistic-atheistic debate very seriously ;) No matter how hard I try, I just cannot make myself believe that when eventually I stand in front of God on the day of final judgment (please interpret that particular concept as literally or metaphorically as you prefer), the question he will ask me is, "Did you believe in a literal interpretation of the first chapter of Genesis, in every philosophical argument for my existence, and in the infallibility of the Holy Church?" Philosophy and dogma do not a Christan make :)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabuEx

Sure you can actually create an infinite through adding to a set over an infinite period of time, but the problem is that the amount of time is a set. So in attempting to prove that infinites can be created through successive addition, you're begging the question. Second, to say that we HAVE created an infinite set through successive addition, you almost treat infinite as an integer, which is absurd as you so eloquently demonstrated much earlier. danwallacefan

If you want to just talk about creating an infinite set through successive addition, then here:

S_1 = {1}

S_2 = S_1 U {2} = {1, 2}

S_n = S_(n-1) U {n} = {1, 2, ..., n}

lim (n -> inf) S_n = {1, 2, ...} = N

There, I just created the set of natural numbers, one number at a time.  No contradictions here.

As for the issue of time, all I have said is that it takes an amount of time larger than any finite number to do so if it takes a non-zero amount of time per addition.  That's not begging the question; I have never said the amount of time is a set - I said that it is equal to the size of an infinite set.  This is just a way to express an infinite amount of time without making the error that you mention of treating "infinity" as if it were a set quantity rather than just a concept manifest in many different forms and orders.

No matter how hard I try, I just cannot make myself believe that when eventually I stand in front of God on the day of final judgment (please interpret that particular concept as literally or metaphorically as you prefer), the question he will ask me is, "Did you believe in a literal interpretation of the first chapter of Genesis, in every philosophical argument for my existence, and in the infallibility of the Holy Church?"ChiliDragon

Nonsense!  Don't you remember all those verses which I will conveniently not quote where Jesus was asked what one must do in order to attain eternal life, and to which he responded "believe that Genesis is a completely literal historical account"?

...oh, wait.

To be honest, on a note completely unrelated to the topic of this thread, I've never much understood that whole scenario at large where God will supposedly sit and ask you why you should be let into heaven.  It's not in the Bible, at least not that I'm aware of.  I've always just figured I'd answer, "I dunno, you tell me; you're the one who knows everything". :P  Frankly, I've always felt that if someone has a completely pat and rehearsed answer to that question that they truly believe will satisfactorily answer it on every level, then they aren't doing it right.  I'm under no delusions that anything I either believe or do ought to be good enough.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChiliDragon
Nonsense! Don't you remember all those verses which I will conveniently not quote where Jesus was asked what one must do in order to attain eternal life, and to which he responded "believe that Genesis is a completely literal historical account"?GabuEx
Smileys
I'm under no delusions that anything I either believe or do ought to be good enough.GabuEx
As far as I know, this is where that whole crucifixion story comes in... ;)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]If the past stretches into the ...past infinitely then thats a good indication that god didnt have to exist or generally be the reason for everything around us, because simply the idea of a begining-less universe kinda refutes the idea of god. (at least the Abrahamic god)ChiliDragon

Granted... I should probably have been honest and mentioned that I actually don't take this particular side of the theistic-atheistic debate very seriously ;) No matter how hard I try, I just cannot make myself believe that when eventually I stand in front of God on the day of final judgment (please interpret that particular concept as literally or metaphorically as you prefer), the question he will ask me is, "Did you believe in a literal interpretation of the first chapter of Genesis, in every philosophical argument for my existence, and in the infallibility of the Holy Church?" Philosophy and dogma do not a Christan make :)

Yeah I dont care either to be honest.

Its just that seeing even the evangelists believing that God created the whole universe (right?) I supposed this is the case for any Christian.

But yeah even when I was a Christian I couldnt care less about those (to me) details, in terms of how much they matter about what I am as a person.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teenaged

To be honest, on a note completely unrelated to the topic of this thread, I've never much understood that whole scenario at large where God will supposedly sit and ask you why you should be let into heaven.  It's not in the Bible, at least not that I'm aware of.  I've always just figured I'd answer, "I dunno, you tell me; you're the one who knows everything". :P  Frankly, I've always felt that if someone has a completely pat and rehearsed answer to that question that they truly believe will satisfactorily answer it on every level, then they aren't doing it right.  I'm under no delusions that anything I either believe or do ought to be good enough.

GabuEx

Can I answer?

I think the geniuses that come up with this trend (or even those who want to pose this scenario to a person they are talking to) are just trying to express their disbelief that the person they are talking to will go to heaven.

Its like implicitely saying: "you sir most deffinetely wont go to heaven"

No reason, its just that people like to have the exclusives.... some of them at least.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabuEx

As far as I know, this is where that whole crucifixion story comes in... ;)ChiliDragon

Well, that's not really what I meant.  Whether one believes hell to be eternal torment or just a temporary place, the Bible seems pretty darn clear that even with the death and resurrection of Christ, not everyone is going directly to the same place when they die.  That's what I was referring to - I'm not so arrogant as to presume that I know with 100% certainty what's going to happen when I die.

Can I answer?

I think the geniuses that come up with this trend (or even those who want to pose this scenario to a person they are talking to) are just trying to express their disbelief that the person they are talking to will go to heaven.

Its like implicitely saying: "you sir most deffinetely wont go to heaven"

No reason, its just that people like to have the exclusives.... some of them at least.

Teenaged

I didn't really want to express my unprovable suspicions about certain people, but yes, I think that about covers it. :P

Personally, I've always thought it interesting in Matthew 25:31-46 that those who find themselves in favor with God appear to be surprised at that fact, and likewise for those who find themselves out of God's favor.  I've felt for quite some time that this holds a fair bit of significance with respect to those who are absolutely convinced that they're righteous and are now part of what they tend to seem to fancy as an exclusive club.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]As far as I know, this is where that whole crucifixion story comes in... ;)GabuEx
Well, that's not really what I meant. Whether one believes hell to be eternal torment or just a temporary place, the Bible seems pretty darn clear that even with the death and resurrection of Christ, not everyone is going directly to the same place when they die. That's what I was referring to - I'm not so arrogant as to presume that I know with 100% certainty what's going to happen when I die.

Ah, okay. And I think, from what I've seen of your posts on the subject, that we're in agreement on the hell and where people go thing. Personally, I'm of the opinion that since no one who has been to either place has returned with vacation photos and details of what they're like, all we can do is speculate. It's a part of my faith that I'm very willing to admit is based more or less entirely on "um, I have no idea but I trust that it will work out in the end", because there's just no information available about what will happen after death. There's hints in the Bible that if you live a good life that increases your chances of not going in the sulphur lake, but there is also a very clear statement to the effect of "all those good things you did, you didn't do them for me. Go away" in another part of the Bible. So no, I have no idea. I think I'll just wait and see. :)
Its just that seeing even the evangelists believing that God created the whole universe (right?) I supposed this is the case for any Christian.Teenaged
I think the reason for that is that if God truly is the greatest most ultimate being ever, that automatically eliminates the possibility of there being another being with the same ability to create things out of nothing. At least that would make a certain amount of logical sense. :)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 domatron23

Okay I think I gave a kind of half-assed reply before (I was at uni at the time) so let me try to respond again in a little more depth.

If the past is beginningless, then the amount of events before now is literally infinite.danwallacefan

Yes that's correct. We normally say that if something begins and then does not end then it is infinite (or endless as per the definition of infinity). This case is exactly the same except that now it is backwards and we have somehing that ended but never began.

So if the past is infinite, then we are still adding to that past as present moments succeed one another.danwallacefan

Yes, but not without a qualification. You say that every present moment is "adding" onto the past but we must remember that since the past is infinite in this scenario an addition of further time will not increase its overall age like it would if it was finite. This means that ten seconds ago the past was still infinite or that ten billion years ago the past was still infinite etc etc

In essense, we have created an infinite through successive addition.danwallacefan

Yes that's correct again (assuming that I have not mistaken your meaning). There would be a succession of events that stretch towards the present point in time it's just that there was never one first event that began the succession.

So this would mean that the present moment is point "infinity" in this setdanwallacefan

No that's wrong this time unfortunately. We can say that there are an infinite amount of past events that preceded the present moment or that the past is infinite but that in no way leads us to conclude that there is some "point" at which we mark infinity on our timeline.

When you talk about points in time or points along any kind of range you need a reference with which to frame it. For example if I said that I would meet you at the half-way point of a football field I would of course be talking about "half-way" in reference to the field or perhaps in reference to the two goal posts. If there was no field or no goal posts would I be able to say that a half-way point exists at all? Absolutely not for what would it be half-way between.

The same kind of thing occurs with infinity. There is no "point infinity" because there is no beginning, no frame of reference to relate it to.

So in short, no the present moment is not point infinity.

But there is no point "infinity" in infinite set theory.danwallacefan

I agree, for the reason I just outlined above.

Ergo, there's a contradiction.danwallacefan

Your reasoning has a faulty premise so this conclusion is not valid.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="domatron23"]When you talk about points in time or points along any kind of range you need a reference with which to frame it. For example if I said that I would meet you at the half-way point of a football field I would of course be talking about "half-way" in reference to the field or perhaps in reference to the two goal posts. If there was no field or no goal posts would I be able to say that a half-way point exists at all? Absolutely not for what would it be half-way between. The same kind of thing occurs with infinity. There is no "point infinity" because there is no beginning, no frame of reference to relate it to. So in short, no the present moment is not point infinity.

I haven't had time to read this until now, but now that I have, I have a question. Thanks for the explanation above, first of all, that part was confusing me. I didn't understand how an infinite set could be composed of an infinite number of infinite points, since a point by definition is finite, not infinite. I understand a bit better now, I think :) My question is, could any given point in time be described as "infinity+1" the next one "infinity+2" then "infinity+3", and so on and so forth infinitely? Or is that not possible, and I'm not in fact understanding this at all?
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
My question is, could any given point in time be described as "infinity+1" the next one "infinity+2" then "infinity+3", and so on and so forth infinitely? Or is that not possible, and I'm not in fact understanding this at all? ChiliDragon
I'm going to channel Gabu and guess that it couldn't because you can't be one bigger than infinity. Could be wrong. D:
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 domatron23

My question is, could any given point in time be described as "infinity+1" the next one "infinity+2" then "infinity+3", and so on and so forth infinitely? Or is that not possible, and I'm not in fact understanding this at all? ChiliDragon

Well like we said there is no such thing as a point infinity so saying that there is such a thing as a point in time that is described as "infinity+1" is equally problematic. It would imply that the moment before it was point infinity.

That's not to say that you couldn't describe a point in time if the past was infinite though, you just need to give it the appropriate frame of reference to make it comprehensible.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] My question is, could any given point in time be described as "infinity+1" the next one "infinity+2" then "infinity+3", and so on and so forth infinitely? Or is that not possible, and I'm not in fact understanding this at all? domatron23

Well like we said there is no such thing as a point infinity so saying that there is such a thing as a point in time that is described as "infinity+1" is equally problematic. It would imply that the moment before it was point infinity.

That's not to say that you couldn't describe a point in time if the past was infinite though, you just need to give it the appropriate frame of reference to make it comprehensible.

Ah, okay. That also makes sense. So that would also mean that it's not possible to have a point "infinity-1" since that means the point in the future would need to be "point infinity" as well for that to work out. Which in turn would be why we arbitrarily designate a reference point on some famous guy's supposed birthday, to make it possible for us to measure time at all... the past could in theory still be infinite, we just wouldn't know about it or be able to ever actually get that since we can't think about time without our reference points. Did I get it this time? :?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GabuEx
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] My question is, could any given point in time be described as "infinity+1" the next one "infinity+2" then "infinity+3", and so on and so forth infinitely? Or is that not possible, and I'm not in fact understanding this at all? ChiliDragon

Ah, okay. That also makes sense. So that would also mean that it's not possible to have a point "infinity-1" since that means the point in the future would need to be "point infinity" as well for that to work out. Which in turn would be why we arbitrarily designate a reference point on some famous guy's supposed birthday, to make it possible for us to measure time at all... the past could in theory still be infinite, we just wouldn't know about it or be able to ever actually get that since we can't think about time without our reference points. Did I get it this time? :?

Yes, I think you're more or less got it.

The biggest problem with your initial post, however, was that you were treating infinity as a number, which is one of the most widely-held misconceptions in existence about the concept.  The idea that many people have is that you have the set of natural numbers - 1, 2, 3, et cetera - and that at the "end" of that sequence is the number "infinity".  But that doesn't make any sense.  The set has no end; if it did, it wouldn't be infinite.  The bottom line is this: infinity isn't a number; it's a description.  Saying "infinity + 1" is really like saying "largeness + 1".

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChiliDragon
The idea that many people have is that you have the set of natural numbers - 1, 2, 3, et cetera - and that at the "end" of that sequence is the number "infinity". But that doesn't make any sense. The set has no end; if it did, it wouldn't be infinite. The bottom line is this: infinity isn't a number; it's a description. Saying "infinity + 1" is really like saying "largeness + 1". GabuEx
"largeness +1" = Xtra largeness! See, it works out just fine. :D Infinity looks like a number though, it's basically an 8 that fell over, but yes, I get your point. And it makes sense... I'd completely forgotten that part. Infinity is not a number, it's a quantity or description.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GabuEx

Infinity is not a number, it's a quantity or description.ChiliDragon

Well, I'm not sure I would call it a quantity, either.  That would imply that there is one single, set size that is denoted as "infinity", which is not actually the case.  As I've said before, there are different levels of infinity - the set of real numbers can be shown to be larger than the set of natural numbers, despite the fact that both sets are infinite.  "Infinity" really is, in my view, solely a description: it is the state where the size of something is not quantifiable through the use of finite numbers.  Infinity is just the lack of finiteness, nothing more.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Infinity is not a number, it's a quantity or description.GabuEx

Well, I'm not sure I would call it a quantity, either.  That would imply that there is one single, set size that is denoted as "infinity", which is not actually the case.  As I've said before, there are different levels of infinity - the set of real numbers can be shown to be larger than the set of natural numbers, despite the fact that both sets are infinite.  "Infinity" really is, in my view, solely a description: it is the state where the size of something is not quantifiable through the use of finite numbers.  Infinity is just the lack of finiteness, nothing more.

Just like darkness is just a lack of light. Surely there can be intangible qualities of things/items/nouns of all kinds. "Abstract" is also a description and quality, so in a way, though "infinity" is a description, it's also what it describes, the quality of "not finite", or "infinite". Makes sense? (Edited to complete the language barrier knee capping)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GabuEx

Just like darkness is just a lack of light. Surely there can be intangible quantities of things/items/nouns of all kinds. "Abstract" is also a description and quantity, so in a way, though "infinity" is a description, it's also what it describes, the quantity of "not finite", or "infinite". Makes sense?ChiliDragon

I'm not sure I understand your use of the word "quantity" - do you mean "quality"? The former is always used to refer to an amount of something.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Just like darkness is just a lack of light. Surely there can be intangible quantities of things/items/nouns of all kinds. "Abstract" is also a description and quantity, so in a way, though "infinity" is a description, it's also what it describes, the quantity of "not finite", or "infinite". Makes sense?GabuEx

I'm not sure I understand your use of the word "quantity" - do you mean "quality"? The former is always used to refer to an amount of something.

I tend to use those word interchangeably... but yes, I that's what I meant. *discretely sidles over to kick the language barrier in the knee caps, then tries to look innocent about the whole thing*
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 domatron23
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Just like darkness is just a lack of light. Surely there can be intangible quantities of things/items/nouns of all kinds. "Abstract" is also a description and quantity, so in a way, though "infinity" is a description, it's also what it describes, the quantity of "not finite", or "infinite". Makes sense?ChiliDragon

I tend to use those word interchangeably... but yes, I that's what I meant. *discretely sidles over to kick the language barrier in the knee caps, then tries to look innocent about the whole thing*

Hah those terms are definitely not synonymous. Never mind though we get your meaning.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ChiliDragon

Hah those terms are definitely not synonymous. Never mind though we get your meaning.

domatron23
Eh... ops? :o I went back and edited the post so it would have the right word in it. Because I'm annoying like that. :)