domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Mr Geezer posted this cracked article on OT and I was very impressed so I thought I'd share it here. http://www.cracked.com/article_15759_10-things-christians-atheists-can-must-agree-on.html

Is there anything in the article that you disagree with? I found myself disagreeing with the point about free will and morality but everything else was spot on. Give it a read if you have five minutes to spare.

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

To be frank i could only manage the first page. This guy just came off as a one sided little prick The whole time i was reading this i felt as if this article was somehow a hidden attack on atheists. It seemed to me like he was just defensive of his own religion while trying to play off all the bad things that happened in his god's name.

also id like to share this tidbit

"When that "boob at the Super Bowl" incident happened a while back, I constantly heard atheists making fun of Christians and their puritan silliness over sex. "Come on! It's just meat! We're all just mammals! Sex is natural! What are you afraid of?!?!?"

Yet, the moment you find out that while you were on vacation, your girl got drunk and slept with the entire Chicago Bears...
...Suddenly sex is something to get upset about. Suddenly it's not just meat slapping against meat. Suddenly the exclusive sexual bond between you and your girl was important, was to be protected, was almost... sacred."

that hardly seems fair, to compare a nipple slip to a cheating girl?

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

The whole time i was reading this i felt as if this article was somehow a hidden attack on atheists. Thessassin

I wouldn't say attack, but i didn't like how he presented the atheist position some of the time. Especially the lack of a proper definition, the morals, the weird use of logic/reason,Atheist belief system, doing something in the name of atheism.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 domatron23

I'd have to disagree with you about the bias towards theism thing theassassin. Sure the author made plenty of reproaches to the atheist side of the argument but he gave just as many to the theistic side. All in all I felt it was very even handed.

Nevertheless I hardly agree with his handling of the morality issue in the way that you point out and in others.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

Is there anything in the article that you disagree with? I found myself disagreeing with the point about free will and morality but everything else was spot on. Give it a read if you have five minutes to spare.

domatron23
Since I'm on lunch break right now I thought I'd read the article, think about it during the afternoon when I had time, and then post a comment tonight. Work's firewall blocked it: "Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Tasteless" " Tasteless? Wow, that' s a bit harsh, isn't it? :?
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thessassin

I'd have to disagree with you about the bias towards theism thing theassassin. Sure the author made plenty of reproaches to the atheist side of the argument but he gave just as many to the theistic side. All in all I felt it was very even handed.

Nevertheless I hardly agree with his handling of the morality issue in the way that you point out and in others.

domatron23
Hardly, read the first page alone. In that page he compares atheists who were happy when some theist who spread nothing but hate speech towards us died, to the westboro church members (aka god hates gays people, petitioning around funerals)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Thessassin

Hardly, read the first page alone. In that page he compares atheists who were happy when some theist who spread nothing but hate speech towards us died, to the westboro church members (aka god hates gays people, petitioning around funerals)

It's a fair comparison as far as I can tell. In both cases it reflects the point of agreement which is "celebrating the death of someone you disagreed with pretty much makes you a dick". The atheists no doubt hated Jerry Falwell in the same way that the WBC hate everyone else but all the article is trying to get you to agree with is that that hatred is not good grounds to celebrate the death ofa person.

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Thessassin
There is a FAIR difference, the westboro church parades at peoples funerals holding picket signs saying GOD HATES GAYS and all this because the person was gay Yet When somebody is constantly demonizing and attacking you and everything you stand for, its not ok to be happy when they die? Thats like telling Iraqis oppressed by saddam not to be happy when he was hung because that makes you a dick.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiliDragon
There is a FAIR difference, the westboro church parades at peoples funerals holding picket signs saying GOD HATES GAYS and all this because the person was gay Yet When somebody is constantly demonizing and attacking you and everything you stand for, its not ok to be happy when they die? Thats like telling Iraqis oppressed by saddam not to be happy when he was hung because that makes you a dick.Thessassin
There's one big and vital difference: To the Iraqis that celebrated Saddam's death, his death meant they were free from tyranny and oppression. They weren't happy that he was dead so much as happy that the reign of terror was over. They had a new beginning to look forward to. The people who picketed Heath Ledger's funeral, holding signs proclaiming that he'll go to hell for portraying a gay man in one of his movies, had no such thing to celebrate. There was no new beginning, and there was no freedom from oppression now that the young actor, who by the way was not gay was dead. They were just thrilled that at long last and finally, a public figure who disagreed with us has died so now we can get some spotlight and media time by picketing his funeral! Yes, celebrating when someone who disagrees with you dies makes you a dick, no matter how venomously and aggressively they have attacked you. Someone somewhere loved that person too, and their grief deserves at the very least a bit of courtesy from you. Think and feel whatever you want in private, but try not to gloat publicly.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Thessassin
[QUOTE="Thessassin"]There is a FAIR difference, the westboro church parades at peoples funerals holding picket signs saying GOD HATES GAYS and all this because the person was gay Yet When somebody is constantly demonizing and attacking you and everything you stand for, its not ok to be happy when they die? Thats like telling Iraqis oppressed by saddam not to be happy when he was hung because that makes you a dick.ChiliDragon
There's one big and vital difference: To the Iraqis that celebrated Saddam's death, his death meant they were free from tyranny and oppression. They weren't happy that he was dead so much as happy that the reign of terror was over. They had a new beginning to look forward to. The people who picketed Heath Ledger's funeral, holding signs proclaiming that he'll go to hell for portraying a gay man in one of his movies, had no such thing to celebrate. There was no new beginning, and there was no freedom from oppression now that the young actor, who by the way was not gay was dead. They were just thrilled that at long last and finally, a public figure who disagreed with us has died so now we can get some spotlight and media time by picketing his funeral! Yes, celebrating when someone who disagrees with you dies makes you a dick, no matter how venomously and aggressively they have attacked you. Someone somewhere loved that person too, and their grief deserves at the very least a bit of courtesy from you. Think and feel whatever you want in private, but try not to gloat publicly.

good comeback, although it was a nice explanation that still only explains one part, of this whole article, this article has thos overtone where its saying, christians, you're not so different from atheists, youre both human so try to accept each others beliefs, and atheists, you're beliefs are wrong but try to be respectful to us as well.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiliDragon
good comeback, although it was a nice explanation that still only explains one part, of this whole article, this article has thos overtone where its saying, christians, you're not so different from atheists, youre both human so try to accept each others beliefs, and atheists, you're beliefs are wrong but try to be respectful to us as well.Thessassin
Well, as you can see from my first post in this thread, I've yet to read the article itself... I'll have to get back to you about it later tonight, when I've been home for a couple of hours. :) And, well, your beliefs are wrong. Didn't you know? :P
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
I read the article, and I just felt that the author tried too hard to balance the views of atheists and theists, to the point that to every issue raised the answer seemed to be "...well there's good and bad on both sides". Well I guess that was to be expected from the article's title.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChiliDragon
Okay, I read the article last night. I still don't see where the "theistic agenda" of "non-atheist" bias is. It was basically three pages of stating, in a long-winded but funny and rather well written way that there's good or bad on both sides, as Ninty said. I thought it was a good read, and hopefully it makes people on both sides think a bit as well... there are people on both sides who need that. :)
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

hahaha, I still find it so bizarre to look at these conversations just to look up and say "Oh, I'm still on a gaming website."

It wasn't a bad article, I like what he is basically trying to do with it.