jimmycanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 jimmycanuck
Member since 2005 • 1339 Posts
What a week! Tons of great news, lots of surprises - I love E3!! What did you think this week's highlights were?

Here's mine; ;)

New Games

• Elite Beat Agents! (Ouendan was my #1 game of 2005, so to see it not only coming to America, but to be coming with new music/story/etc - it's even better! It's not so much a localization as it is a sequel! w00t!!)
  • Super Paper Mario! (Gamecube games at E3 fell completely off of everyone's radar, but this is one of the real gems of the show - a classic 2D Mario platformer set in the world of Paper Mario! Again - w00t!!)

The Console Wars

• Everything Wii! Nintendo came out as the clear winner of this show, hands down. I've been a big supporter of the Wii since it was first unveiled way back when, and to see it in action along with countless unexpected surprises (The Zapper, the VC controller, SSBB, Mario Galaxy, the list goes on and on) was an absolute treat. This is exactly what Nintendo needed to do to get back on top. If they can produce enough, they'll be under every tree this Christmas. And despite what Reggie said about not announcing pricing, it's already in the upcoming issue of EGM - $249 boys and girls!! (Let's hope this is right, I'd hate for EGM to make me a liar..)
  • Microsoft Holds Their Own! With a solid lineup of upcoming games, both expected and announced (Gears of War, Halo 3, Alan Wake, Fable 2, GTA IV, Bioshock, Blue Dragon -- this list too, goes on and on) the 360 is standing on solid ground. There was nothing really earthshattering coming from the Microsoft camp, but there didn't need to be. All they had to do was wait and react to...
  • Sony Digs It's Own Grave! $500 for the CHEAP version?? The one without HDMI ports (thereby rendering Blu-Ray DVD's useless)?? Yipes.. And a last minute tilt sensitive controller (which, contrary to internet chatter, is NOTHING like the wiimote)?? Oh, and did I mention that unlike last year's hype, the game's don't look any better than the game's on the 360? Hope you enjoyed the decade on top. Time to go back to making Walkman's.

Best Quote

• “Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3? People are going to buy two (machines.) They’re going to buy an Xbox and they’re going to buy a Wii … for the price of one PS3.” - Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president
Slapula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Slapula
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I thought this E3 rocked, plain and simple. Not only did Nintendo impress me with the Wii and their new controller, but Microsoft actually showed off some great stuff too. In my opinion, Nintendo won because it appears that I am not the only one that they have convinced, which was their goal for this E3 I imagine.

BUT, Microsoft (along with the insane price of the PS3) convinced me to buy an x360. Way back when the x360 was released, I was very critical of Microsoft's approach with the console because I do not care that much for HD functionality or the serious lack of quality games. I think it has become clear with this E3 that the x360 will have some awesome games on it in the near future (Alan Wake and Mass Effect to be specific). The result: I purchased a x360 and GRAW yesterday ;-)
DrFish62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 DrFish62
Member since 2003 • 4973 Posts

I have a million things to say about it, but to make a long story short: I was disappointed and disgusted at Sony's showing. It was pompous and arrogant, and it showed no games I was interested in. Their decisions were just confusing to me (Gran Turismo HD and Ridge Racer were very odd choices to show). Microsoft did well and is progressing nicely toward gaining ground on Sony in the console war. I think GTA was a big coup for them. I was most impressed with Nintendo, and I'm genuinely excited about most of their announcements, but they weren't without their mistakes. GameCube wasn't there and the GBA is basically dead. I'm not sure about the two SKUs for Zelda, but the Smash Bros. trailer was awesome.

Anyway, that summary was kind of all over the place. I'm hoping to put together a few blog entries on each of the big 3.

By far though, my favorite moment from all three conferences was when Reggie came out and thanked both people who gave them positive feedback about the name change. You gotta love Nintendo's ability to laugh at itself.

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts

I thought E3 was pretty exciting, being a Nintendo fan & all, I do have some thoughts on each console maker though...

Sony- All I have to say is WHAT THE HELL?!? Let's see how many mistakes the made... 1) Boring conference, 2) a new "innovative" controller that reports ave come out to show was just slapped together last minute, 3) High price points, 4) lower price point is a system with no 1080p (lack of HDMI), bad back compatability (no memory slots), and 5) obvious rip-off of XBL. Sony is taking themselves down this gen

Nintendo- Well done Nintendo, they have shown off just all that their new console & gave us a few shocks along the way. It was nice to see the graphics upgrade from GCN to Wii in the video for SSBB. It's also really good to see how all of their big franchises & some new ones should all have their game out within a year of the system's release. Nintendo is really learning from their past mistakes on how to take advantage of all the things they have at their disposal.

Microsoft- For a company with a system already out there, MS did a great job holding their own, showingoff some really great series & even stealing some thunder that PS3 would have had coming, by taking time exclusivity of GTA from Sony, placing the two big series of games on their console.

metalgeekguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 metalgeekguy
Member since 2006 • 64 Posts

I'm a console gamer through and through (outside of a few title I just can't stand PC gaming) but the thing I was looking forward to most out of this years E3 and consequently the thing that made me happiest to see was Spore. I'm sorry, but when a guy like Will Wright says he's going to create a game based on evolutionary theory, you kinda have to pay attention.

Other than that, I had a good laugh at sony's floundering around to try and save something from the one-two punch of microsoft's new games and nintendo's new console. Granted, I'll still buy a PS3 just because you never know what gem's might pop up on it, but I won't wait in any lines to get it on release day.

Speaking of microsoft's new games, how about that GTA? Did anyone see that coming? And how about those video's for "Too Human"? And how about... ah hell, MS was good all around.

As for the big N, I was way more interested to hear that they plan to have over a hundred new titles for the DS by years end. Surely out of that many games at least one has to be amazing...right?

Over all, I'd say the conference ended with a satisfied feeling. Microsoft seems to be learning and improving, and nintendo is still having fun...and sony is imploding. Praise the lord!

RacerSVT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RacerSVT
Member since 2004 • 857 Posts
E3 seemed great as usual..... all companies had great stuff out there..... We finally got some closure from Sony (though I know we hoped for a little different closure) but nonetheless, it was cool..... and yes, eventhough it's high priced, I'm still getting a PS3 (MGS4, gotta have it).... MS w/Gears of War, looks freakin' awesome.... an actual Metal Gear Solid game for PSP (though I did like the card system, I just need the regular action game) can't wait for that...... then there's Nintendo, cannot wait for that Wii....2006 and 2007 are gonna blow peoples minds... I cant wait.....
kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
Lemme see... working from the press conferences: Sony: I was truly impressed. The (all too short) Eye Toy card demo was so very cool. I know that Sony is cutting the line on pricing as it is but I'm sad that the EyeToy didn't make it as a standard feature. The games looked great and the addition of motion sensitivity to the controller will add nicely to some games I think. I could definately see it being used both inconjunction with the Eye Toy and alone. I'm not so sure about how it will be to play for 30 or 50 hours that way... but for spot elements it could be great. For example the "action movie" sequences in Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 4 and God of War: instead of hitting the circle button at a specific time you could roll the controller left or right. To wring the neck of a harpy in GOW you could jaggle the controller. It's not going to be as responsive as the Wiimote by any means... but it will still an element currently lacking. And when coupled with the Eye Toy it has the potential to provide experiences that the Wii currently can't. The games looked phenomenal. "Resistance: The Fall of Man" was stunning as was "Warhawk" (as you'd expect from Insomniac). I was dissappointed that more first party IP wasn't shown but what they did show looked great. The price is high... no doubt this could hurt Sony tremendously. But that price will come down and Sony has proven that they can push successful platforms for up to 10 years. And the PS3 is designed to still be valid in 10 years. It will still be the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market and should come down in price fairly quickly as the Cell production ramps up. The PSP made a good, if uninspired showing on it's own. It was neat to see it used a rear-view mirror in the PS3 racing game. I doubt that specific feature will be useful to me but just hte capability of streaming live, full screen audio/video to the PSP wirelessly leads my mind in great directions. Imagine a multiplayer game with a PSP-enabled "game master" seeing things that the players can't. The PSP player could be any place... image playing "SoCOM" while simultaneoulsly video conferencing over the PSP. Lots of potential tied in with movement sensing, Eyetoy and PSP. [As an aside I'm amazing at how much vitriol market leaders attract. Sony had a great show with lots of new stuff, some nice suprises and some great games - people are reacting like they stomped on kittens. "Look at that boomerang controller! Sony Sucks!". So they fix it, make it exactly like the dual shock but at several REALLY nice extras and we hear "They just copied themselves and Nintendo! Sony Sucks!" Fun to watch but mystifying.] Nintendo: Very impressed as well. The Wii looks awesome and I can easily it becoming a great family-night console. I'm even more worried about the motion sensing for long games however. Pulling the bow string in "Zelda" may feel cool for a few minutes... but how will it feel after 40 hours of play? I fear that the Wii may end up being like the EyeToy at it's best: perfect for short, simple party games but not well suited for hardcore gaming. This idea might be reinforced by the fact that the system itself just won't be able to compete graphically with the other systems in the generation. The games looked great... but thet also looked a whole lot like GameCube games. The DS was happily holding its own... nothing groundbreaking but lots to look forward to. I LOVE the idea of the Virtual console... but where was it! Overall the presentation was just too short - I would have liked to see more play and something, anything about the virtual console. MS: Eh. "Gears of War" looks stunning and I hear it plays better. There's definately stuff worth picking up. There's just no "wow!" coming from MS these days. No innovation at all. That's not a wholly bad thing: producing great, if uninspired, games is damn hard in and of itself. I'm dissapointed that Live! isn't getting the upgrade goodness I was hoping for... I had envisioned hundreds of games available in Arcade by now... there's perhaps 40. Overall I think that MS will hold its own on the price disparity if nothing else - although if Sony actually makes PS3 games cheaper (as Nintendo has said they will) they could offset some of that. There's just no reason that XBox games should be more expensive than PC games. Overall Nothing I've seen has changed my mind: I'm still preordering both the PS3 and Wii. I'm still annoyed that 360 games cost so much but I am playing them nonetheless. However I think this generation may mirror the last for me: I bought all three systems but ended up giving the XBox away for lack of compelling content. All the best games hit the PC or were cross platform and I prefered playing them using the Dual Shock. The XBox just stagnated for me... and I have a suspicion (which I hope is proven wrong) that the 360 will do the same thing.
Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Angelbabe531
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts

E3 was really interesting this year.  I was really impressed by Nintendo's showing.  I think they did an excellent job of taking a concept that no one really understood and making us understand it.  I liked how their press conference was fun and to the point.  Their booth was saturated with people and they gave off tons of impressions, overall people who try it, like it, and I'm pretty sure they're exaggerating their movements on impulse alone.  They showed off lots of games, I'm excited for Zelda: TP, Metroid Prime 3, and Wario Ware - all in all it just looks really fun.  On the DS, Phoenix Wright 2 and Yoshi's Island were pleasent surprises, as was Super Paper Mario for the Cube.  Of course, the downside of the short press conference was that you had to hunt down the dirt all at your own pace -  news was trickling in from everywhere but Nintendo's own mouth.  Case in point, online will be dependent on the individual game....translation: they're probably gonna keep the same friend code system...really??? *sighs*

Sony's showing....well coming into E3, I really expected to like what they were going to offer, but as their press conference went on, it was becoming painfully obvious that I just was not impressed.  Their strategy was all over the place, their conference was boring, they showed too many games to the point where none stood out, their online content is questionable, and then the killers were the price(s) and the rumble-less tilt sensor controller (wow was I mad at that one, so much so that I had to blog to vent).

And Microsoft...admittedly I'm not a fan of the Xbox, they don't have the games I like, but I think they did a good job overall, yeah, tons better than Sony. Still, they hit on the biggest things and pretty much reassured everyone that they will make people happy, showed good games, announced Halo 3, stole GTA (I laughed at that...really hard), are actually trying to diversify their games more, and are doing good things to Live.

Yeah, I guess that makes Sony the loser in this year's E3.  Still everyone is bitter and upset with them now, but they'll probably do really well, people after all change their minds about things and as time passes your original anger starts to fade.  This E3 has been so crazy that I don't even want to make predictions.

Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts
Apart from the ongoing console war, I was genuinely pleased with the overall quality of the games that were shown. And I added a whole lot to my tracked games list.

Assassin´s Creed, Battle Lord, The Darkness, Dirge of Cerberus, Dirty Harry, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIII, Metroid Prime 3, Overlord, Reservoir Dogs, Sadness, Siverfall, Naughty Dog Game, Vanguard & Yakuza.

As Im the violent type, there arn´t any cute Nintendo games on the list. But, as everybody else, I too was impressed with the Wii. So I might buy one eventualy and try out some of those games that are orientated towards love, peace and happiness.

;)
bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

So, this is a good topic to keep on the board, But now we are on the down hill side of E3 2011. It is cool to look back at what was being discussed five years ago and seeing what was presented then and comparing it to what it actually becames. Games such as Assassins Creed, Halo 3, etc, etc. I hope to see more on this thread about what you got out of E3 2011.

Me, I am looking very forward to:

1. Battlefield 3
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Resistance 3
  4. Halo CE Anniversary in HD
  5. Uncharted 3
  6. Elder Scrolls V; Skyrim
  7. Assassins Creed Revlations
  8. Batman, Arkham City
  9. Tomb Raider (revised Lara Croft)
  10. BioShock Infinite
  11. Gears of War 3