Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts
In my experience the good memories of games from days gone past are best to be cherished for what they are. Especially games from the nineties, where there was a transition period from the use of 2D sprites towards 3 dimensions, often fail to stand the test of time.
I recently reinstalled Diablo 2, as I had never finished it. But halfway through the campaign my eyes hurt so much from the ugly textures, that I was forced to give up on it.
Sure, there are timeless gems, like pong, space invaders or pac man that will always be a blast from the past. With the recent popularity of mobile gaming, many of those have re-entered our lives. And on those low resolution mobile screens even some of the early 3D adaptions are bearable to look at.
tonyhawksP8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 tonyhawksP8
Member since 2007 • 2479 Posts
I enjoy them from time to time no one can deny Red Alert 2 is still highly addictive considering how bad its sequel was. Or Wolfenstein 3D. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (N64) are timeless.
Gun_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Gun_Chimp
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

I´ve recently changed gamer tag due to stupid Microsoft rules (I changed country, Microsoft won´t let me update my profile!!) so I've been revisiting "classics" such as GTA IV, Halo 3, Gears of War etc and even Call of Duty 2 & 3 (remember those, when the franchise was still fresh and entertaining??) and have to admit I´ve bee enjoying the ride.  Unfortunately I only have an Xbox and so real classics like the games I wasted hours on as a kid with my trusty Megadrive or SNES are sadly refined to memory.

tonyhawksP8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 tonyhawksP8
Member since 2007 • 2479 Posts
XBLA has some classics most of the important ones anyway.
soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
In my experience the good memories of games from days gone past are best to be cherished for what they are. Especially games from the nineties, where there was a transition period from the use of 2D sprites towards 3 dimensions, often fail to stand the test of time.
I recently reinstalled Diablo 2, as I had never finished it. But halfway through the campaign my eyes hurt so much from the ugly textures, that I was forced to give up on it.
Sure, there are timeless gems, like pong, space invaders or pac man that will always be a blast from the past. With the recent popularity of mobile gaming, many of those have re-entered our lives. And on those low resolution mobile screens even some of the early 3D adaptions are bearable to look at.Hastur
I know exactly what you mean with the bothering the eyes. I also agree it's best to leave some things in the past, nostalgia can really affect how you remember things.
jb61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jb61
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Speaking of Wolfenstein, did you know there is an Easter Egg of Wolfenstein in Rage. You can go into rooms, down hallways, and encounter mean German Shepard guard dogs.

Do a search on youtube for the egg location.

Shoot you later

Gun_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gun_Chimp
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

It´s fun.  I´ve found that the "old school" 360 games - Fable 2, Mass Effect, GTA IV, Haloooooo 3...  they are just soooo much fun, and much more engaging than more recent additions to each franchise.  Not sure why Dev's "dumb down" sequels, don´t they realise that the average 10 year old gamer actually has more skill (sadly) than us older gamers??  Don´t dumb down, they should be ranking up the difficulty!!