Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts

Blizzard recently announced that their upcoming release of Diablo 3 will feature an in-game auction house, where players will be able to trade items for real money. Of which Blizzard will take a percentage. Personally I think it's a brilliant move on their part. The trade of virtual goods has been going on for quite a while. But (with a few exceptions) developers were never able to capitalise on it.

Some of you will be appalled by the idea. As it will obviously give a clear advantage to people with large pockets. But those big spenders are likely to be grown-up gamers. Because, as you well know, time instead of money is often our limiting factor. In competitive online multi players we are never able to keep up with the young crowd, who can play 24/7. So it can also help to even the odds.

The first time I have spend real money on bits & bytes, was when I started playing Zombie MUD in 1995. Since than I have pulled my wallet on several occasions. As it saved me a lot of time on mindless grinding and I could continue to play with the big boys. Instead of being marginalised because of my real life.

So what are your thoughts on this controversial topic and what if you were playing a game where a system was put in place that encouraged selling for real money, would you participate? And maybe even quit your 9to5 and join the hoards of Chinese farmers.

bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts
Capitalism is the name of the game. They can't make people spend their money, and they do spend their money and Blizzard provides the service, then in my book they are entitled to the broker fee. No problems on my part, I typically buy most upgrades for the games I like best. Like you said, I don't have the time to grind through all the levels or battles to garner the upgrades and playing without them in short spurts reduces the fun factor by 50%.