Am I the only one who stops to smell the roses?

Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts
I'm always surprised when I hear claims that people finish games in less than 10 hours. With RAGE I already heard complains that with a 7 hours play-through, it was much to short. Where it would probably take me around 25 hours. Especially with 3D games, I often pretend to actually be there. I also sneak around as if there's a monster around every corner. And I often stop to smell the roses, look at the stage props or enjoy that beautiful vista. So on average it takes me around 35 hours to finish a game.
bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts
No Hastur, you are not the only one, I take on average of 3 to 4 times what all these speed demons profess to completing the game in. They are obviously playing on easy and not wondering the open world possibilties. No thanks, like you, I like to stop and smell the roses.
soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
I too enjoy the roses. There's a lot of little things developers hide in games that I enjoy finding; though granted the Nigerian e-mail joke is overused, it's still mildly funny.
Gun_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Gun_Chimp
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

I just don´t see the point in rushing from A to B, mission to mission.  Why?  You just forked out a wad of cash for a game, why rush through it?  I tend to explore whenever I can, Fallout 3 took over 100 hrs because I spent most of my time wandering around discovering places instead of sticking to the missions.  GTA IV - one of the great parts of the whole "pidgeon" side-quest is that you HAVE to stop and stare, and explore each corner of the map.  Even Borderlands rewards those who take time out to explore, helping build levels and creating challenges which, to meet the 2,500 Skag kill quota, means you need to wander all over the map searching them out.

In short, speed freaks are fine and good, but I prefer to squeeze every cent out of the games I buy. 

jb61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jb61
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Taking my time was one reason I liked the Lara Croft series. The vistas in the Tomb Raider games were awsome. I have lost interest as of late. I hate getting stuck and not being able to progress.

Shoot you later

Gun_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gun_Chimp

42 hours and level 50 on Mass Effect in my first playthough - nuff said.

If you don´t explore, you're missing out on the best part of the game.  I actually discovered that many planets on ME actually have hidden bases to discover, which don´t appear on the initial radar screen!  How many games can you honestly say you´ve explored to death?

The devs wasted hours crafting these explorable worlds, the least you can do is spend a few hours off the beaten A-to-B mission route and explore them...! 

bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts
ME2, I have explored every possible planet I can find and land on, and have mined almost all of them. Even fell asleep once during the mining operations. That is what happens when you get hooked on a game and play till the wee hours of the morning.
soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
ME2, I have explored every possible planet I can find and land on, and have mined almost all of them. Even fell asleep once during the mining operations. That is what happens when you get hooked on a game and play till the wee hours of the morning.bearnewman
I usually don't fall asleep during games. Movies certainly, never games. Though my wife and I are amazed at how I sleep through the middle but always catch the ending.
Gun_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gun_Chimp

It´s a good job I don´t sleep till late, otherwise I´d never get to play with you guys (hehe).