Zelda Wii U won't have an open world like other recent games

• 101 results
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17395 posts) -

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/zelda-wii-u-wont-have-an-open-world-like-recent-games-says-aonuma-27927

The first proper entry in Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda series for Wii U will have an open world to explore, but perhaps not in the way that you're expecting.

Modern open-world games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto V aren't indicative of what we'll be seeing from the next Zelda, franchise lead Eiji Aonuma explained in an interview with EDGE (via NeoGAF). "Since we’re talking about open worlds, let’s state upfront that we don’t plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years," he told the outlet.

Perhaps we'll see an open world more akin to the original The Legend of Zelda or even the recent 3DS title A Link Between Worlds. I guess we'll just have to patiently wait for Nintendo to drip feed us more details. In the meantime, let us know what kind of open world you'd like to see in Zelda Wii U.

--------------------------------

Your thoughts, SW? Has this hndered your interest in the game?

#2 Edited by charizard1605 (56958 posts) -

'Ouch?'

'It will be fairly linear in scope?'

Where the hell do you get that idea? All he literally says it 'it won't be an open world like other games' for all we know, he means there will actually be some meaningful content in the open world rather than something like Skyrim, which is massive, but has nothing to do. It's too vague to draw any conclusions. Did you just hilariously jump the gun?

#3 Edited by lostrib (35890 posts) -

Uh that quote makes it sound like they will have an open world, just different from other "open world" games

#4 Posted by lundy86_4 (43227 posts) -

Righto... Stop speculating.

#5 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11237 posts) -

All I see is that they're doing their own thing and wont model it after games like the ones you mentioned. Where you get that it's hampered by Wii U's hardware or a linear game is beyond me. Looks like just looking for a reason to knock the game down, you've been trying since your Zelda vs MGS threads.

#6 Edited by charizard1605 (56958 posts) -

Will the next Zelda be hampered by Wii U's underwhelming hardware? My impression was that it was going to be like Skyrim in scope. Looks like we'll be having a fairly linear experience again.

This is especially amusing, since Skyrim ran on an Xbox 360. A Wii U, which is at the very least of that level (and in fact a fair bit beyond that) could easily run something on Skyrim's level without the 'hardware hampering the experience.'

Like... I think this is relevant here:

#7 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17395 posts) -

Don't try to single me out. I posted the news for everyone to share their reactions. This game went from drawing comparisons to Skyrim to now scaling back some of those aspirations. We clearly don't have enough info obviously.

#8 Posted by lostrib (35890 posts) -

Don't try to single me out. I posted the news for everyone to share their reactions. This game went from drawing comparisons to Skyrim to now scaling back some of those aspirations. We clearly don't have enough info obviously.

well he's commenting on your conclusions/speculations. Not the news

#9 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11237 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Where did they scale back? They're just saying it will be different. Not worse. Not smaller. Not better. Nothing. Just different. And everyone is "singling" you out because you're the one who posted the link and jumped to the conclusion of limited hardware and linear gameplay.

#10 Posted by commonfate (12282 posts) -

Maybe open world in the sense that a Witcher game is open world?

#11 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17395 posts) -

@charizard1605: if you think I'm trolling how come the original author even says we may have a world similar to a link between worlds. That sounds a lot less ambitious than what initial reactions were to the e3 trailer

#12 Posted by charizard1605 (56958 posts) -

Once again- where do we know this game is scaling back any aspirations? What do we know about the open world other than 'it won't be like other games?' Maybe he means that it will be denser. Maybe he means it will be like the original Legend of Zelda's open world. We know absolutely nothing about this. I have absolutely no issues with you sharing the news, but your conclusions were so clearly you jumping to the worst possible ones (why would you do that, I wonder? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an honest mistake) is what me, and well, everyone else in this thread, has an issue with.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (56958 posts) -

@charizard1605: if you think I'm trolling how come the original author even says we may have a world similar to a link between worlds. That sounds a lot less ambitious than what initial reactions were to the e3 trailer

The original author? The original author would be Aonuma. Aonuma does not say that. Anything else is just people drawing speculations.

How is the open world in A Link Between Worlds 'less ambitious?' It's a full fledged open world that you can tackle in any order, albeit it has a 'recommended order.' What was less ambitious about it? Translating that open world to a 3D space Zelda like the Wii U one is would actually make its open world more ambitious than most other games on the market.

#14 Posted by KBFloYd (13440 posts) -

i remember solidgame had a wiiU and tried to hype it...now he is consumed by nintendhate.

shame. what a difference a year makes.

#15 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17395 posts) -

Oh here we go again, sheep defense force in full gear. If you don't believe me, look at the comments at the bottom of the article. I'm clearly not the only one that thinks this.

#16 Posted by charizard1605 (56958 posts) -

Oh here we go again, sheep defense force in full gear. If you don't believe me, look at the comments at the bottom of the article. I'm clearly not the only one that thinks this.

'Sheep defense force?' Where is the defense force? If you can point to me where Aonuma said 'this open world is less ambitious than other open worlds on the market' and/or 'this open world is limited because of the Wii U's hardware' you have a point to make, otherwise there is no use in needlessly pulling out the persecution/victim card. You were very clearly wrong here, because you incorrectly jumped to the worst conclusion with no information. Accept that, admit it, move on. We all make mistakes. Continue to try to argue when you were abundantly wrong, and shift to a 'sheep defense force' argument, and you only make yourself look worse and sillier.

#17 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11237 posts) -

So instead of answering what people are telling you here you resort to "sheep defense force" and "look at the comments!" Going by the logic that everyone here saying you're wrong is part of the "sheep defense force" then everyone on the comments are Nintendo haters? Of course not, don't be silly.

#18 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11237 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

i remember solidgame had a wiiU and tried to hype it...now he is consumed by nintendhate.

I don't think he even has one he takes jabs at Nintendo every chance he gets. Like in that Mario Kart thread he made a while back saying it was just ok and not as good as people made it out to seem, I asked him for his NNID to race with him and completely ignored me.

#19 Edited by mariokart97 (837 posts) -

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/zelda-wii-u-wont-have-an-open-world-like-recent-games-says-aonuma-27927

The first proper entry in Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda series for Wii U will have an open world to explore, but perhaps not in the way that you're expecting.

Modern open-world games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto V aren't indicative of what we'll be seeing from the next Zelda, franchise lead Eiji Aonuma explained in an interview with EDGE (via NeoGAF). "Since we’re talking about open worlds, let’s state upfront that we don’t plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years," he told the outlet.

Perhaps we'll see an open world more akin to the original The Legend of Zelda or even the recent 3DS title A Link Between Worlds. I guess we'll just have to patiently wait for Nintendo to drip feed us more details. In the meantime, let us know what kind of open world you'd like to see in Zelda Wii U.

Ouch. Your thoughts, SW? Will next Zelda be hampered by Wii U's underwhelming hardware? My impression was that it was going to be like Skyrim in scope. Looks like we'll be having a fairly linear experience again.

Wait until the damn game comes out before you have a concrete opinion about the freaking thing.

stop comparing Zelda to Skyrim. It won't be the same. I promise you that. But Aonuma said it will be open-world, so for a Zelda game it will definitely be open world. I myself am open minded and don't react with "ouch" when I read that.

#20 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7435 posts) -

Ouch. Your thoughts, SW? Will next Zelda be hampered by Wii U's underwhelming hardware? My impression was that it was going to be like Skyrim in scope. Looks like we'll be having a fairly linear experience again.

You are just looking for a reason to bash the WiiU at every chance you get,

#21 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17395 posts) -

OK guys. I removed my opinion so that you guys can focus on the article and giving your reactions it instead of trying to turn this into an attack thread.

#22 Edited by lamprey263 (23546 posts) -

It's not something I really require of a Zelda game.

#23 Edited by KBFloYd (13440 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@KBFloYd said:

I don't think he even has one he takes jabs at Nintendo every chance he gets. Like in that Mario Kart thread he made a while back saying it was just ok, I asked him for his NNID to race with him and completely ignored me.

i honestly thought he sold it after the ps4 popularity happened then he hopped on there.

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (56958 posts) -

There we go, that's much better.

With that out of the way, I think that as long as the open world channels the spirit of the original Zelda game or A Link Between Worlds, I will be even more excited.

#25 Edited by Vecna (3394 posts) -

OP makes his agenda clear and then denies it. Classic.

Nice edit, but your message has already been received.

#26 Edited by GunSmith1_basic (9779 posts) -

Since SS was basically the Demons Souls version of Zelda, I fully expect that based on these Aonuma comments along with Miyamoto's previous comments about it, that we will be seeing the Dark Souls version of Zelda with this new game.

#27 Posted by Heirren (16870 posts) -

I think they're going for that original Zelda sense of " I wonder what's around that corner? How do I get there, let me find out," sort of feeling.

#28 Edited by madsnakehhh (14272 posts) -

I guess they will make it more like Zelda a Link Between Worlds, i mean, sure the game is open world, but is not like Skyrim or Fallout, and i think is a good thing, not because i don't enjoy this sort of games (i really liked Fallout 3) but because you don't need that much filler, specially not in a Zelda game after what we had in Skyward Sword.

#29 Posted by Zassimick (6462 posts) -

Red XIII of the Sheep Defense Force, standing by.

Skyrim is great, and many other games that have that open-world feel do the open-world genre justice. Many other games miss the mark though, and honestly we have a bunch of other open-world games that it's getting to be overwhelming. So I'm happy that it will be different from Skyrim's open-world, and I'm intrigued to see how it's different. Will it be like A Link Between Worlds or the original Legend of Zelda, or closer to what maybe Dragon Age Inquisition appears to be doing? Or something new entirely?

#30 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5413 posts) -

Maybe it's more like Dark Souls?

#31 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11665 posts) -

Thank God ! GTA and TES style open worlds are not conduscive to good mission and level design.

If its like Dark Souls or Darksiders then hell yeah... Bring it !

#32 Edited by Litchie (16272 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

It's not something I really require of a Zelda game.

Yeah, same here. If they made it more open than usual (as Wind Waker was), I'd be more than happy. I'm guessing the world will be quite big and you'll get quests in the beginning that tells you to go to a certain place, and later the game will open up and give you several quests that you can do in the order of your choice (as in A Link to the Past). To think that the next Zelda will be like Skyrim is pretty stupid..

#34 Posted by Maroxad (8209 posts) -

I hope this means that it will be akin to Zelda 1, where you can explore the world as soon as you start the game, but if you go to the wrong areas at the wrong time, you will find yourself incredibly underpowered with enemies finishing you off in one blow.

#35 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1992 posts) -

But didn't he say they where getting inspiration from Skyrim and the original Zelda? Weird.

Anyway, aslong as the feeling of exploration is there, i'm good. SS felt abit too linear IMO. But i'm not worried.

#36 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17395 posts) -

@KBFloYd: @charizard1605: @Vecna: i have a Wii U. When have I said anything bad about it? It's a bit weird how you guys even came to that conclusion. And secondly, there was nothing wrong with my opinion. If you read the article and comments it's pretty obvious that there was an exaggeration on Nintendo's part. But anyway, moving on...

#37 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4765 posts) -

If this speculation happened with a Sony or MS game, no body would care and believe any article that badmouths it. But coz it's Nintendo, they get free BJ's and a defense force. Love it.

#38 Posted by KittenNose (473 posts) -

Where the hell do you get that idea? All he literally says it 'it won't be an open world like other games' for all we know, he means there will actually be some meaningful content in the open world rather than something like Skyrim, which is massive, but has nothing to do.

What on earth do you mean?

Skyrim Quest List

Bethesda games do not work that way. If anything the weakest part of a Bethesda game, and most open world games for the record, is the main story line. All the heart of an open world game, and the overwhelming majority of content, is off the beaten path of the main quest line. The entire point of an open world is that there is so much to do that players will often forget all about the main quest line for hours or even dozens of hours at a time.

#39 Edited by charizard1605 (56958 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: okay? When did I ever say you don't have a Wii U?

And I see, we are now going to judge an unreleased game based on what random commenters on an article have to say, instead of waiting for the developer's word. Gotcha. That certainly sounds extremely smart to me.

#40 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17395 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: okay? When did I ever say you don't have a Wii U?

And I see, we are now going to judge an unreleased game based on what random commenters on an article have to say, instead of waiting for the developer's word. Gotcha. That certainly sounds extremely smart to me.

Dude. We are simply reacting to the hype that Nintendo established with the trailer and earlier articles where the developer drew comparisons to Skyrim. My thoughts is that this will be like other modern Zeldas on console, with just more NPCs, buildings, and quests (basically what you would expect from having new hardware). Not saying that's a bad thing. Just scaling back my expectations based on the hype that Nintendo previously established. And if you don't think that's what people thought, then maybe you should do a little more research.

Also, the comment about Wii U was directed at Floyd (I replied to a bunch of people).

#41 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3660 posts) -

'Ouch?'

'It will be fairly linear in scope?'

Where the hell do you get that idea? All he literally says it 'it won't be an open world like other games' for all we know, he means there will actually be some meaningful content in the open world rather than something like Skyrim, which is massive, but has nothing to do. It's too vague to draw any conclusions. Did you just hilariously jump the gun?

I so hope this is the case.

Open world is on the verge of being a con for games these days, IMO.

#42 Posted by yokofox33 (29522 posts) -

I don't think it'll be as massive as Skyrim, but it will definitely have that open world feel to it. When I think of open world I think of free roaming with no clear objective. Do things at your own pace and proceed with the main story when ready. That's what this Zelda will be like I think.

#43 Edited by Bigboi500 (29636 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

He shouldn't blame Nintendo for the demise of the Vita. Sony and their user base are responsible for that.

#44 Edited by Heirren (16870 posts) -

I don't think it'll be as massive as Skyrim, but it will definitely have that open world feel to it. When I think of open world I think of free roaming with no clear objective. Do things at your own pace and proceed with the main story when ready. That's what this Zelda will be like I think.

Maybe they've been working on this one since the end of Twilight Princess development. Maybe this Zelda was kept hidden and everytime Iwata walked into the offices the guys just whipped out Skyward Sword and gave off some joyous laughs.

#45 Edited by KungfuKitten (20973 posts) -

If you look at the new Zelda realistically, or as a fan of the series, there is a lot to be excited about but it's clearly not going to be a Skyrim game in any way.
How childish are you if you think it won't have load times, or that the world will rival that of Skyrim in size and will still have the amount of things to do in it, like in Skyward Sword? It won't have the character customization or skill upgrades of a Skyrim game and it won't have the graphics of Crysis 3.
It will instead look really cool, sound really cool, have really cool characters and pacing and combat and themes and puzzles.

#46 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8709 posts) -

Aonuma really needs to be off the Zelda team

#47 Posted by dakan45 (18614 posts) -

didnt they say the exact opposite? That this time the world is open and you can go anywhere?

#48 Edited by PonchoTaco (2045 posts) -

Looks awesome.

#49 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7157 posts) -

This is great news. I was worried that Nintendo would ruin the franchise with this game. Hopefully we find out that the game is actually very linear in scope next. That would restore my hype to "day 1 purchase" status.

#50 Posted by Aljosa23 (24851 posts) -

Hopefully it's open world but packed with stuff to do and not empty with randomly generated bullshit like Skyrim and games of that ilk. Open world + a more tightly designed experience, please. Make every bit of the game world dense with content like each screen in Link's Awakening.