Zelda U Will Not Be Made Around Puzzles!

• 81 results
#51 Edited by Speak_Low (752 posts) -

Changing the formula a bit can be a good thing.

But because the Wii U will only get one big Zelda game and are essentially putting all of their eggs into one basket, some fans are worried that this Zelda U is being used as the experimental basket.

If this scores lower than Skyward Sword, I have front row seats to the Sheep meltdown. They take gaming very seriously - it's hilarious

#52 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9726 posts) -

There have always been puzzles in Zelda, but originally the puzzles were broad, world in scope. Before, the puzzle was how to find a hidden dungeon or to find Ganon's only weakness. Now, you are solving multiple puzzles just to walk across a field, puzzles that seem like they were put there by design but there's no way that the antagonist would have bothered to set them up. There are just hundreds upon hundreds of tiny puzzles littering the world, just sprouting up out of the ground somehow.

That's always been my main issue with the series. They removed true immersion from the game by packing the game with overt design and puzzles. There are also less enemies and combat in "PUZZelda"

#53 Posted by TilxWLOC (1029 posts) -

@GunSmith1_basic:

You make an interesting point in saying that Zelda has lost some of its immersive value by focusing on puzzles. I had never really thought about this because I always just appreciated the design, but I completely understand and agree. It should be more appropriately integrated.

I also agree with the lack of combat based on the emphasis on puzzling. That is one thing that was missing heavily in the over-world (under the clouds); I would be running around with ease to get to the new puzzle-y bits, but there was too little enemies. I remember killing the only enemy near the entrance to the second part of Faron Woods just to have a bit of fun with the sword play at one point.

Thanks for making me think about that; that is a serious perspective change.

I still really like that game though.

#54 Posted by voljin1987 (677 posts) -

I would love la mulana-type puzzles on zelda. a dungeon must actually feel dangerous.

#55 Posted by Vecna (3322 posts) -

Well, well. Nintendo actually might be making some smart decisions as of late.

#56 Posted by Wild_man_22 (562 posts) -

Changing the way puzzles are designed and expanding on what constitutes a puzzle=No more puzzles in Zelda?

-_-...clearly

#57 Posted by thomasmcshea (19 posts) -

If this scores lower than Skyward Sword, I have front row seats to the Sheep meltdown. They take gaming very seriously - it's hilarious

skyward sword was just flat out disappointing. its a 20 hour game stretched into 50 hours with pointless side quests.

do you know what i could be doing with 30 extra hours? getting laid and playing football, of course.

#58 Posted by jg4xchamp (46712 posts) -

That's not what he said.

But why would anyone want the other direction?

Like Nintendo's puzzle designs are barely above average at times, but, BUT, their combat design in Zelda is WAY below fucking average. Its pathetic if a game was built around those combat mechanics. Especially on a platform that is about to get Bayonetta 2 a game with excellent combat top to bottom.

#59 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6632 posts) -

I know the quote was completely misrepresented here, but the things Aonuma says about this game have me somewhat convinced that it is going to be the worst in the series. Well, it will probably be better than Zelda 2, but still . . .

#60 Posted by Lucianu (9288 posts) -

I know the quote was completely misrepresented here, but the things Aonuma says about this game have me somewhat convinced that it is going to be the worst in the series. Well, it will probably be better than Zelda 2, but still . . .

Interesting, everything i've seen and heard including this little bit of info has me almost convinced it's going to be the best Zelda game since .. forever. :P

That's not what he said.

But why would anyone want the other direction?

Like Nintendo's puzzle designs are barely above average at times, but, BUT, their combat design in Zelda is WAY below fucking average. Its pathetic if a game was built around those combat mechanics. Especially on a platform that is about to get Bayonetta 2 a game with excellent combat top to bottom.

I don't think they'll focus on combat because dungeon progression is a extremely vital part of the Zelda series.

#61 Posted by locopatho (20044 posts) -

For the folks who call Skyward Sword a masterpiece, it probably will be the worst.

Like @Lucianu I think it'll be the best one ever :3

#62 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6632 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

For the folks who call Skyward Sword a masterpiece, it probably will be the worst.

Like @Lucianu I think it'll be the best one ever :3

Skyward Sword is a masterpiece, so . . .

#63 Posted by gamevet77 (170 posts) -

I use to be a huge zelda fan and always felt the puzzles bored me. Glad they are taking them out

#64 Posted by locopatho (20044 posts) -

Lol. Exactly my point. You and me are just clearly on polar opposite ends of the Zelda fan spectrum :3 You had your masterpiece, now I get mine :P

#65 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6632 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Lol. Exactly my point. You and me are just clearly on polar opposite ends of the Zelda fan spectrum :3 You had your masterpiece, now I get mine :P

Well, I have enjoyed most of the series so far. This game just doesn't sound much like a Zelda game. Hopefully it's all fluff from Aonuma and the game stays somewhat true to its LOZ roots. I am interested in seeing Nintendo's take on an open world game.

#66 Edited by enzyme36 (1419 posts) -

There was not a single torch to be lit in all of Skyward Sword... and very few block puzzles. The only time I remember moving anything was to create a landing for a shortcut for your next visit (this is done in a magnitude of games).

So at this point it really doesnt matter what type of gameplay the new Zelda is going to have, puzzles or not. The detractors will always assume "its the same ol Zelda game."

I would say most crtics are just as blind as the fanboys... as you can see some of the Zelda complaints seen in this thread.

#67 Posted by locopatho (20044 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, I have enjoyed most of the series so far. This game just doesn't sound much like a Zelda game. Hopefully it's all fluff from Aonuma and the game stays somewhat true to its LOZ roots. I am interested in seeing Nintendo's take on an open world game.

As have I.

It sounds exactly like a Zelda game to me. The NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube Zelda games all had (for their time and hardware) massive big worlds. It's about time we got back to that. An adventure shouldn't be linear, stilted and filled with padding and forced hints and tutorials. It's time to open things up and let Zelda breath the clean, fresh air of a gigantic world of freedom and adventure :D

(NB: I don't think I'll get everything I want, and I don't think you'll suffer everything you fear. We;ll both buy it, play it, and enjoy it to some degree I would think)

#68 Posted by locopatho (20044 posts) -
@enzyme36 said:

So at this point it really doesnt matter what type of gameplay the new Zelda is going to have, puzzles or not. The detractors will always assume "its the same ol Zelda game."

I would say most crtics are just as blind as the fanboys... as you can see some of the Zelda complaints seen in this thread.

Some folks will always complain. I don't recall any complaints about SS puzzles though. I believe they were lauded as the strongest part of the game along with the sword combat. The SS complaints from gamers and reviewers were to do with the padding, linearity, slow start, forced tutorials and hints, and wonky controls outside of combat. Those are legit complaints. Zelda shouldn't be randomly trashed but it shouldn't be above criticism either.

#69 Posted by DocSanchez (1417 posts) -

Nintendo increases the puzzles: "I'm so happy about this I wanted them to do this for ages! I prefer the puzzles to action! Nobody does puzzles like the unique Nintendo experience!"

Nintendo decreases the puzzles: "It's about time! I've been saying for years I wanted less puzzles and more action!"

Nintendo has about the same puzzles, but says they will be altered: "oooh! this is the best thing to happen to zelda since the first one! well done Nintendo!"

They should liquidate all their games and just pump them directly into your veins like drugs.

#70 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6632 posts) -

Nintendo increases the puzzles: "I'm so happy about this I wanted them to do this for ages! I prefer the puzzles to action! Nobody does puzzles like the unique Nintendo experience!"

Nintendo decreases the puzzles: "It's about time! I've been saying for years I wanted less puzzles and more action!"

Nintendo has about the same puzzles, but says they will be altered: "oooh! this is the best thing to happen to zelda since the first one! well done Nintendo!"

They should liquidate all their games and just pump them directly into your veins like drugs.

Nintendo has a lot of fans for various reasons and they aren't all the same people. That is why you see contradicting statements like that.

#71 Posted by DocSanchez (1417 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000: I accept this but there are some fans here who will basically react the same to whatever Nintendo does. If Nintendo drove a van into their living room window they would essentially react as "I'm glad because I wanted double glazing. Thanks Nintendo!"

#72 Edited by LadyBlue (3758 posts) -

I liked muh puzzles!

#73 Posted by iloveatlus (248 posts) -

That sucks, I love the puzzle in zelda

#74 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3248 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

I liked muh puzzles!

You're still getting them.

#75 Posted by LadyBlue (3758 posts) -
#76 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (8504 posts) -

There have always been puzzles in Zelda, but originally the puzzles were broad, world in scope. Before, the puzzle was how to find a hidden dungeon or to find Ganon's only weakness. Now, you are solving multiple puzzles just to walk across a field, puzzles that seem like they were put there by design but there's no way that the antagonist would have bothered to set them up. There are just hundreds upon hundreds of tiny puzzles littering the world, just sprouting up out of the ground somehow.

That's always been my main issue with the series. They removed true immersion from the game by packing the game with overt design and puzzles. There are also less enemies and combat in "PUZZelda"

You speak the truth! I felt that Aonuma thinks more different on what Zelda is than Miyamoto. I always believed that Zelda is always a game about exploring mysterious dungeons and expect the unexpected traps and dangers that lurk towards the end of getting treasure that helps link Progress through the world. I think Aonuma and his loyal fanbase are completely out of touch on what Zelda really is, and Majora's Mask is his only good Zelda game so far.

#77 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

@GunSmith1_basic said:

You speak the truth! I felt that Aonuma thinks more different on what Zelda is than Miyamoto. I always believed that Zelda is always a game about exploring mysterious dungeons and expect the unexpected traps and dangers that lurk towards the end of getting treasure that helps link Progress through the world. I think Aonuma and his loyal fanbase are completely out of touch on what Zelda really is, and Majora's Mask is his only good Zelda game so far.

I think all of his games have been good, but otherwise I agree.

The original LoZ felt like an arcade-rpg (if that even makes sense) with a strong sense of exploration. Puzzles were only a part of the experience, not a main focus and not so obvious in your face all the time.

Honestly, I enjoy both takes on the series though returning to its roots is infinitely more appealing since the post-LttP format has grown incredibly stale.

#78 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3248 posts) -
#79 Edited by gamevet77 (170 posts) -

Skyward sword flat out sucked. I played the game for 10 hours and got sick of it. All the waggling around got old too. If you want to see a masterpiece then look at A link to the past because it's the best one in the series.

#80 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6632 posts) -

Skyward sword flat out sucked. I played the game for 10 hours and got sick of it. All the waggling around got old too. If you want to see a masterpiece then look at A link to the past because it's the best one in the series.

I would rank LttP toward the bottom, but it is still a great game.

#81 Posted by LadyBlue (3758 posts) -

@gamevet77: Skyward Sword sucked? That's news to me. It was one of the better zelda games. ALTTP is a great & memorable game, but nowhere near the top 3.

@ladyblue said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@ladyblue said:

I liked muh puzzles!

You're still getting them.

Promise me?

Pinky swear.

:)

#82 Posted by OhJayDubya (1142 posts) -

Not enough puzzles! WORST GAYME EVA 0/10.