Yusuf Mehdi on the original Xbox One policies

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

You lems need to muzzle this horse.

While Microsoft has generally made the right decisions in reversing its policies, it is oft-forgotten that in, doing so, some genuinely good features have been lost, such as the ability to be able to access your games library form different consoles, and sharing games with your friends digitally. Is there a way back round to these ideas without upsetting people?

I think it was the right vision,” says [Chief of Marketing and Strategy Yusuf ] Mehdi. “I think a digital future for games is the way to go. I think where we missed was that we didn’t give customers the choice if they wanted to sell or pass on their disc. If we had more dialogue with our fans, we would have heard more loud and clear that this was important and we would have delivered that future. If we had done that maybe we would have gotten to a better place. Who knows, maybe fans would have said no, let’s skip the disc and give me those features.”

In an interview with Tom Hoggins: Telegraph

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

TC must think Steam is terrible.

\thread

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Well PC Gaming is all digital and they love that.

But no I think digital gaming is going to be the future one day, so he isn't wrong at all.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I kind of wish MS was able to go through with their original vision. The next consoles will probably be all digital.

MS panics too much

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

At least MS had the balls to try TCHBO

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Cows have no ammo left after E3 and the DriveClub weather delay so they must resort to "What if".

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

“I think where we missed was that we didn’t give customers the choice if they wanted to sell or pass on their disc. If we had more dialogue with our fans, we would have heard more loud and clear that this was important and we would have delivered that future."

Yup. Seems about right.

Would've been nice to see a console head into a digital future, but they didn't approach it properly.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Well said, at least he is admitting where they went wrong and what they could have done differently. I've always felt that they were naive with this whole thing, that they truly did not expect that negative reaction, not to that extent anyways. At the end of the day, no successful company wants to anger a large part of their consumer base.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Who the hell comes up with this shit? It's Genius.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Man, going digital is such a bad thing for some people... Steam has proven how successful going digital is... but, since microsoft said it, it's a horrible idea that Sony should avoid.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chikenfriedrice

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Wow your bar for genius is set very low......Albert Einstein = to some internet gif?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

While Microsoft has generally made the right decisions in reversing its policies, it is oft-forgotten that in, doing so, some genuinely good features have been lost, such as the ability to be able to access your games library form different consoles, and sharing games with your friends digitally. Is there a way back round to these ideas without upsetting people?

I think it was the right vision,” says [Chief of Marketing and Strategy Yusuf ] Mehdi. “I think a digital future for games is the way to go. I think where we missed was that we didn’t give customers the choice if they wanted to sell or pass on their disc. If we had more dialogue with our fans, we would have heard more loud and clear that this was important and we would have delivered that future. If we had done that maybe we would have gotten to a better place. Who knows, maybe fans would have said no, let’s skip the disc and give me those features.”

You cows need to stop caring so much about what MS says or does. Seriously, it's like you have a hard on for any information about MS, especially if it's negative in anyway.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 misterpmedia

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Cows have no ammo left after E3 and the DriveClub weather delay so they must resort to "What if".

lol foxbat counting those few straws he has left for maximum damage.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

My gripe was the underwhelming performance of the hardware. And I think everyone else started gradually realizing hardware specs is what makes or breaks a console.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 misterpmedia

@kingtito said:

You cows need to stop caring so much about what MS says or does. Seriously, it's like you have a hard on for any information about MS, especially if it's negative in anyway.

This is system wars, genius. Can't expect a bottom lem to understand the simple concept of a system wars board though. Bless.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 misterpmedia

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@misterpmedia said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

:P

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Wow your bar for genius is set very low......Albert Einstein = to some internet gif?

Oh c'mon don't get offended too much, it's just an expression.

Still this stuff is pretty clever.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chikenfriedrice

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Oh c'mon don't get offended too much, it's just an expression.

Still this stuff is pretty clever.

Clever is better lol

Sorry, genius is used too loosely nowadays :P

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

well, i've been using steam family sharing lately - it's pretty damn good.

once again yusef's failing to deliver his message in a sensible manner. god damn these guys absolutely stink at PR.

i think this is what he's trying to say. consolites like the physical media and all the compromises that come with it. Paying a bit more at retail, but getting a cool plastic box, and being able to sell that disc, lend it, and so on. now, their initial introduction of xbox one just didn't have any of that, and that's what consolites expressed they wanted with their 'backlash', they wanted disc-based-tradition - yusef acknowledges MS didn't listen.

also yusef's saying that MS' digital future is still the right way to go, and from certain angles i agree with him. but obviously - not everyone's going to agree with me, and if you're as big as xbox you wouldn't want to alienate a significant percent of your audience.

therefore they simply should have done both from the outset. had disc based drm allowing for playing the game only when the disc is inserted, swap the disc, all the typical compromises etc. and they also should have had a store with cheaper digital games, steeply discounted sales like steam, and family sharing.

if they had implemented both from the get go, given customers that choice, allowed their own digital infrastructure to compete with the physical infrastructure - then i think they'd be fine and dandy.

hindsight's 20/20 though

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@kuu2 said:

\thread

The Original xbone policies were all of the bad of steam with none of the good.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

All my games are digital on the Xbox One right now because I game share. That means not only my bro could play my games on his Xbox, I could play his games on mine. I like this digital option. If theres a game that hits a sale for like $15 or less on disc, I'll get that too. I wish I could game share on the PS4 but I think there was a game a friend could have that I could play even if I don't have the game. I hope more games follow for the PS4 or they change their game sharing policies.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@kuu2 said:

\thread

That's what they were going for, but it's too early. Plus the sales are a big part of why steam is tolerated imo.

@Scipio8 said:

At least MS had the balls to try TCHBO

I have to agree, while it didn't work out, at least they tried. They could have easily gone the exact same route, it's a shame they pussied out and did. I don't know why gamers want all three consoles to be the same.

I never understood why it's was worth owning both consoles last gen (360 & PS3), there was only a handful of games that were different. Now we'll have the same all over again. I can't buy a console for a handful of exclusives, I think it should at least offer something different as well.

I don't think MSs ever going try something new again, it's a shame graphics are what consoles are about now over performance and gameplay. And they can't even do that right. This gen is now about what would be considered low end graphics cards on the PC.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingtito

@misterpmedia said:

@kingtito said:

This is system wars, genius. Can't expect a bottom lem to understand the simple concept of a system wars board though. Bless.

Systems wars == obsession okey dokey kid. Have fun obsessing over MS.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I haven't bought a physical copy of a PC game since TESIV: Oblivion GOTY Edition.Digital when done right, is the future. Publishers just have to keep offering the physical option for people who refuse to upgrade their internet.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 misterpmedia

@kingtito said:

lol at not knowing what an obsession is and not knowing how a forum board works, holy ****. No wonder you're always ridiculed on here. Forever will you be bottom lem.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 misterpmedia

@foxhound_fox said:

for people who refuse to upgrade their internet.

Some serious ignorance there. What about the people who want to but can't, hmm? Ya.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Man, going digital is such a bad thing for some people... Steam has proven how successful going digital is... but, since microsoft said it, it's a horrible idea that Sony should avoid.

That is such a monumental cop out bullshit response. For starters, Steam has an offline mode. Second of all, since when did making a console completely PC-like make sense? You want to hand a 4 year old an instruction manual with a controller? Piss off with this Steam fuckery. It fools not a soul (unless you count yourselves).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@foxhound_fox said:

for people who refuse to upgrade their internet.

Some serious ignorance there. What about the people who want to but can't, hmm? Ya.

Nothing stopping them from doing it. Most places where these games are affordable have plenty of ISP's willing to provide un-capped services.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

If it was the right vision, why not stick with it and try to convince people?

Oh yeah, they were and are getting their asses handed to them by Sony.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BldgIrsh

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

That is such a monumental cop out bullshit response. For starters, Steam has an offline mode. Second of all, since when did making a console completely PC-like make sense? You want to hand a 4 year old an instruction manual with a controller? Piss off with this Steam fuckery. It fools not a soul (unless you count yourselves).

What? So the PS4 isn't a "Supercharged PC" anymore? Jesus, didn't know the console was using a PC architecture either. You sir have enlightened me.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shewgenja

@bldgirsh said:

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

What? So the PS4 isn't a "Supercharged PC" anymore? Jesus, didn't know the console was using a PC architecture either. You sir have enlightened me.

Oh, we're having a conversation about hardware now? You want to go there? Cuz bro, you don't look like you're carrying a daggerflute and the CloudZord is nowhere in sight.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By misterpmedia

@foxhound_fox said:

Nothing stopping them from doing it. Most places where these games are affordable have plenty of ISP's willing to provide un-capped services.

No no...you're not getting it... as in.....the actual infrastructure is incapable of providing super fast fibre internets...as in, people have to wait until shit is upgraded to even be provided with offers to get the service in the first place. Like I said: the people who want to, and could easily afford it, but ultimately can't. I'm one of those people. Currently on a god awful ADSL line and have been waiting for the 'exchange upgrade' program to reach my way. Not to mention the whole roll out has been behind schedule almost 3 years.

Now imagine how many consumers could be in this sort of position and you launch a console that is solely reliant on an internet connection. It would have bombed even more so than the box that exists today. It was an interesting idea for a console but was at minimum a decade too early.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BldgIrsh

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

Oh, we're having a conversation about hardware now? You want to go there? Cuz bro, you don't look like you're carrying a daggerflute and the CloudZord is nowhere in sight.

Lol. Having your time invested on inaminate objects must be thrilling. Now please tell me the hell is a daggerflute and a "cloudzord."

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shewgenja

@bldgirsh said:

Lol. Having your time invested on inaminate objects must be thrilling. Now please tell me the hell is a daggerflute and a "cloudzord."

You tell me. You're the one running around in green pajamas trying to defend the XBox.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BldgIrsh

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

You tell me. You're the one running around in green pajamas trying to defend the XBox.

Hahaha. When did I say that I had a console? Damn plebs get butthurt over anything now.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shewgenja

@bldgirsh said:

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

Hahaha. When did I say that I had a console? Damn plebs get butthurt over anything now.

You just had a shitty argument. That's all.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BldgIrsh

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

You just had a shitty argument. That's all.

Oh, can't wait for you to stop stalling and tell me your view on this. Because at the moment you are making yourself look like a fool. Now before you keep derailing the topic, why do you think going digital is bad?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shewgenja

@bldgirsh said:

Oh, can't wait for you to stop stalling and tell me your view on this. Because at the moment you are making yourself look like a fool. Now before you keep derailing the topic, why do you think going digital is bad?

Okay, first of all, the only one making themselves look a fool here is you. Steam doesn't make your games stop working after a couple of hours or whatever. You would know that if you are a PC gamer, which is kind of what I suspect you were trying to say when you mentioned not having a console. You're kind of all over the place man.

With that out of the way, why is an all digital console a bad idea?

Does this ring any bells?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BldgIrsh

@Shewgenja said:

@bldgirsh said:

Okay, first of all, the only one making themselves look a fool here is you. Steam doesn't make your games stop working after a couple of hours or whatever. You would know that if you are a PC gamer, which is kind of what I suspect you were trying to say when you mentioned not having a console. You're kind of all over the place man.

With that out of the way, why is an all digital console a bad idea?

Does this ring any bells?

Woah, when in hell did I say that your digital games will stop working after a few hours? That looks like a portable handheld and not a console.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22626 Posts

Congrats to Microsoft on their 2014 E3 win.... the victory has brought out the desperation of dredging up old topics as new issues. Kinda funny.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I think what he's saying is people like to be given the illusion of choice.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shewgenja

@TheEroica said:

Congrats to Microsoft on their 2014 E3 win.... the victory has brought out the desperation of dredging up old topics as new issues. Kinda funny.

By , Video Games Editor, Los Angeles

5:24PM BST 11 Jun 2014

I guess Playstation really did open up the 4th dimension in gaming. Today's news is now an old topic. Kuturagi was 4 cereal.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

He's money grubbing snake. What do you think this POS would say.

He needs a big Shit Canning. I can't stand this snake oil salesman.

He needs to go head up another something. Just GTFO of here.

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

If they were thinking digital they would have givin you more than 500 gb for 50 gb games... lol

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kingtito

@misterpmedia said:

@kingtito said:

lol at not knowing what an obsession is and not knowing how a forum board works, holy ****. No wonder you're always ridiculed on here. Forever will you be bottom lem.

No you idiot, just because it's SWs doesn't mean you have to obsess over everything the competition does. Just in case you haven't noticed (you're a cow so I'm sure you haven't) not everyone acts the way you and your fellow cows do.

No wonder you cows are considered the jokes of SWs. Yes kid, I'm calling you a joke.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 misterpmedia

@kingtito said:

No you idiot, just because it's SWs doesn't mean you have to obsess over everything the competition does. Just in case you haven't noticed (you're a cow so I'm sure you haven't) not everyone acts the way you and your fellow cows do.

No wonder you cows are considered the jokes of SWs. Yes kid, I'm calling you a joke.

holy ****, the irony. You even said it your damn comment! It's system wars, everything any company does gets posted it. God damn hypocrite. You are the bottom of the bottom of lems who doesn't even understand this place one bit. No wonder you are constantly ridiculed for being a bottom lem and treated as such. There are places for lems like you.

Damage control less.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

I agree with him, I still want my Xbox One to be as close to the Xbox One that was first shown.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By misterpmedia

@sts106mat said:

He is right though, some cows (yourself included) are more obssessed with Microsoft and xbox than their own console.

you can tell, because they post anti xbox threads / posts more than they promote sony stuff here.

He's not right as all you're assuming is some random person on the internet is obsessed with no basis or facts. Damage control some more. Fucking lol, I guess even you don't know how system wars works either. Try harder. leavemicrosoftalone.gif

"you can tell"

translation: "the narrative I've made up in my mind to damage control and feel better is.."