Yu Suzuki clarifies Sony's role in Shenmue 3

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1273833

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

So Sony are funding but we still don't know how much. Yu said he believe most of the funding will be from KS so it's not certain they know for sure yet. How much are they expecting, 10 million? Because if that's the case be prepared to be disappointed. No way this'll pass 6.5 mill.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

I just want my forklift job back...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Legend002 said:

So Sony are funding but we still don't know how much. Yu said he believe most of the funding will be from KS so it's not certain they know for sure yet. How much are they expecting, 10 million? Because if that's the case be prepared to be disappoint. No way this'll pass 6.5 mill.

sounds like all the kickstarter money will be for development, sony and shibuya money is for publishing/marketing

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Legend002 said:

So Sony are funding but we still don't know how much. Yu said he believe most of the funding will be from KS so it's not certain they know for sure yet. How much are they expecting, 10 million? Because if that's the case be prepared to be disappoint. No way this'll pass 6.5 mill.

I think it'd be lucky to hit 5 million at this rate.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

So Sony is helping with both development costs and publishing? That's interesting because there were so many that said they weren't.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

So Sony is helping with both development costs and publishing? That's interesting because there were so many that said they weren't.

It's called wishful thinking my friend.. wishful thinking.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@OhSnapitz said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's called wishful thinking my friend.. wishful thinking.

This whole time I thought something was going on with Sony directly having them on their e3 stage, I mean c'mon they didn't do this just to be nice, even if they respect Yu.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

What a clusterfuck, Sony is like a druggie pissing away his money and needs Microsoft to bail him out. Never fear, Phil Spencer is here.

Isn't 10 million like half of Sony's annual profit? lol

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Seems like Sony made a dick move to Yu Suzuki and fans of the series by announcing the game revival via Kickstarter just to impress the gaming community and outshine MS e3. A total dick move

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@hello505 said:

What a clusterfuck, Sony is like a druggie pissing away his money and needs Microsoft to bail him out. Never fear, Phil Spencer is here.

dat jelly

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's true, I saw them defiantly quoting anyone who said anything differently.

However, I wouldn't listen to speculation by SW rabblerousers who have ulterior motives to push, lol.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

All this Shenmue talk is making me want to play the original two now.

Shame there's no HD collections, Sega you could be making bank.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Doesn't say anything about Sony developing, only publishing. Guess they didn't feel like helping pay for anything else.

carlquincy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By carlquincy
Member since 2012 • 391 Posts

So Sony is involve in production, marketing and publishing? What is Shibuya Productions role this?

Btw, I don't understand all the backlash Sony is getting from this. They put in money, gave up (very) valuable time in E3 and took an hands off approach in the development. There is still very possible that Shenmue 3 could still flop even with the successful kickstarter campaign. A beloved franchise is revived, and available on multiplats. Looks like a win on all fronts.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ReadingRainbow4

@hello505 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Well, go get an Xbox and play Shenmue 2.

punk

Or I can just emulate it on pc and get it in HD. Just requires a bit of research to get working properly.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

In other words, Sony isn't funding the development, but only funding the production, marketing and publishing of the PS4 port. This makes sense, since the game is also coming to PC, which wouldn't be possible if Sony really was funding the game's development. And I think that's where Shibuya Productions comes in, possibly to help fund the development and marketing of the lead PC version. But since Shibuya Productions looks like a small indie company, there's only so much they can fund, so that's where Kickstarter crowdfunding comes in. The lead PC version will be developed with Kickstarter crowdfunding and whatever funds Shibuya provides, and then the PS4 port will be funded by Sony. And again, this makes sense, because Sony is only interested in the PS4 port, not the lead PC version.

sykox300x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sykox300x
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

Soooo its safe to say that some of you and the jackasses at Kotaku, ReviewTechUsa, and many others can now eat crow. So now that you know please feel free to remove that guilty conscience by donating to the Kickstarter. If not I understand. Its not a game for everyone. But i will ask you at least spread the word of its existence. Try looking into it more and watch the alternate Kickstarter campaign video found here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UzJcBqS1fDY to have a better understanding of its relevance. Good night all and #saveshenmue

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@hello505 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

punk

Or I can just emulate it on pc and get it in HD. Just requires a bit of research to get working properly.

Don't play dumb with me, everyone knows emulation of the original Xbox is unlikely. It's not like the PS2 or Nintendo.

Like I said before, the only way to play Shenmue 2 (in English) is with an Original Xbox. Now go get one and shut the hell up.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReadingRainbow4

@hello505 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@hello505 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

punk

Don't play dumb with me, everyone knows emulation of the original Xbox is unlikely. It's not like the PS2 or Nintendo.

Like I said before, the only way to play Shenmue 2 (in English) is with an Original Xbox. Now go get one and shut the hell up.

But it's also on the dreamcast.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jag85

@hello505 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@hello505 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

punk

Shenmue II was originally released for the Dreamcast, which can be emulated on PC. And the original Dreamcast version was released in Europe with English subtitles. The only difference with the Xbox version is that it's English dubbed, whereas the European Dreamcast version is English subbed.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Don't worry, Microsoft will announce the first 2 Shenmue games exclusive for XB1 at next years E3. You'll get to play them eventually. lol!!

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

Mass of lemmings, "so Sony only doing marketing".

Uhh, where in the world did you read that?

@SolidGame_basic said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1273833

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget....

...After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. ..

I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game...

Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel..

that will stand proud with its predecessors.

While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements...

I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well.

Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

Key phrases are underlined, lol SMH.

I knew you guys were kind of slow and a bit on the derpy side, but i didn't know the majority of you couldn't read as well. lol, well I guess that is how you end up being MS fans, stay up.

What don't xbox fanboys understand about the phrase, "as well" lol dat desperation.

lem reading comprehension when conducting damage control = - 0

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

So if Sony is dealing with marketing and publishing, what the **** is Sega doing?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jag85

@ten_pints said:

So if Sony is dealing with marketing and publishing, what the **** is Sega doing?

Sega want nothing to do with Shenmue III. In other words, they're just being dicks, as usual.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@Jag85 said:

In other words, Sony isn't funding the development, but only funding the production....

Wait what?

Dude, uhhh

production:

pro·duc·tionprəˈdəkSH(ə)n/nounnoun: production

1. 1. the action of making or manufacturing from components or raw materials, or the process of being so manufactured."the production of chemical weapons"
    synonyms:manufacture, making, construction, building, fabrication, assembly, creation; mass-production "the production of washing machines"
    • the harvesting or refinement of something natural."nonintensive methods of food production"
    • the total amount of something that is manufactured, harvested, or refined."steel production had peaked in 1974"
      synonyms:output, yield; productivity "agricultural production"
    • the creation or formation of something as part of a physical, biological, or chemical process."excess production of collagen by the liver"
    • denoting a car or other vehicle that has been manufactured in large numbers.modifier noun: production
  2. 2. the process of or financial and administrative management involved in making a movie, play, or record."the movie was still in production"

////

If you can't understand that I'll simply tell you production = development in video games. I'll use the last sentence in definition 2 to illustrate

"the movie was still in production"

or

"the video game was still in development"

synonyms:manufacture, making, construction, building, fabrication, assembly, creation; mass-production "the production of washing machines"

lol wow.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#28 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@ten_pints said:

they are just lending the Shenmue IP

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Jag85 said:

In other words, Sony isn't funding the development, but only funding the production, marketing and publishing of the PS4 port. This makes sense, since the game is also coming to PC, which wouldn't be possible if Sony really was funding the game's development. And I think that's where Shibuya Productions comes in, possibly to help fund the development and marketing of the lead PC version. But since Shibuya Productions looks like a small indie company, there's only so much they can fund, so that's where Kickstarter crowdfunding comes in. The lead PC version will be developed with Kickstarter crowdfunding and whatever funds Shibuya provides, and then the PS4 port will be funded by Sony. And again, this makes sense, because Sony is only interested in the PS4 port, not the lead PC version.

Yup

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jag85

@playharderfool said:
@Jag85 said:

In other words, Sony isn't funding the development, but only funding the production....

Wait what?

Dude, uhhh

Bro, at least let me finish my speech before pulling a Kanye West and cutting me off in the middle of a sentence...

"In other words, Sony isn't funding the development, but only funding the production, marketing and publishing of the PS4 port."

The PC version is the lead development version. After that version is finished, then that's where Sony steps in and finances the PS4 port. I already explained this, and you would have known if you bothered reading the rest of my post.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I still have my old consoles/games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
@Jag85 said:

Bro, at least let me finish my speech before pulling a Kanye West and cutting me off in the middle of a sentence...

"In other words, Sony isn't funding the development, but only funding the production, marketing and publishing of the PS4 port."

The PC version is the lead development version. After that version is finished, then that's where Sony steps in and finances the PS4 port. I already explained this, and you would have known if you bothered reading the rest of my post.

That seems to contradict other statements by Suzuki.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

This kickstarter went from yay to WTF so quickly.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@hello505 said:

It's just like that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jag85

@LJS9502_basic said:

Suzuki never mentioned anything about Sony having any involvement with the PC version. It's obvious that the only version Sony would be interested in is the PS4 port. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any need for the project to have another financer, Shibuya Productions. Also, given Sony's financial circumstances, they obviously wouldn't be willing to take a financial risk on a commercially unsuccessful IP like Shenmue.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Jag85 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Suzuki never mentioned anything about Sony having any involvement with the PC version. It's obvious that the only version Sony would be interested in is the PS4 port. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any need for the project to have another financer, Shibuya Productions. Also, given Sony's financial circumstances, they obviously wouldn't be willing to take a financial risk on a commercially unsuccessful IP like Shenmue.

That's still assumptions on your part. Yes Shenmue will be on PC. That does not preclude Sony from contributing some money to the game though. Sony may not want to risk the cost of the game. However, they may have a matching deal in place or percentage. I don't know. But it doesn't exactly sound like Sony isn't helping with the game. And that is all we know. So it's best not to imagine things in your head.

MicrosoftCEO9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MicrosoftCEO9
Member since 2015 • 48 Posts

This guy is overrated. Sony knew this.

I mean didn't he himself also say they had to get funding from "other vendors?" Because Sony wasnt developing or providing all funding? Heck there's still a chance this game won't happen, purely a hype move.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

So shenmue wont see the light of day then?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jag85

@LJS9502_basic said:

That's still assumptions on your part. Yes Shenmue will be on PC. That does not preclude Sony from contributing some money to the game though. Sony may not want to risk the cost of the game. However, they may have a matching deal in place or percentage. I don't know. But it doesn't exactly sound like Sony isn't helping with the game. And that is all we know. So it's best not to imagine things in your head.

It's just plain common sense, really. Why would Sony want to fund the PC version? Sure, it's all guess work at this point, and It's possible they might decide to provide some funding for the PC version, but that's very unlikely, and very unlike Sony.

@microsoftceo9 said:

This guy is overrated. Sony knew this.

I mean didn't he himself also say they had to get funding from "other vendors?" Because Sony wasnt developing or providing all funding? Heck there's still a chance this game won't happen, purely a hype move.

Surely you mean underrated? Most gamers don't realize just how much Yu Suzuki has contributed to, and shaped, the modern game industry. His resume quite easily rivals Shigeru Miyamoto, yet he doesn't have all the fame and money that Miyamoto has, which makes him underrated, not overrated.

MicrosoftCEO9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MicrosoftCEO9

@Jag85 said:

Surely you mean underrated? Most gamers don't realize just how much Yu Suzuki has contributed to, and shaped, the modern game industry. His resume quite easily rivals Shigeru Miyamoto, yet he doesn't have all the fame and money that Miyamoto has, which makes him underrated, not overrated.

How so? I think he (along with Miyamoto) did a few good things, however I also see both gain wide exaggeration for achievements they in some cases never did or people reach straws for.

Since you used the term shaped, I'll need some examples. I will agree though that there are a few things he had been forgotten of doing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

So essentially a scam job with a smile.

I predicted this.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85

@microsoftceo9 said:

How so?

How so what?

MicrosoftCEO9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MicrosoftCEO9

@Jag85 said:
@microsoftceo9 said:

How so?

How so what?

read edit.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i still dont see why this was a problem in the first place. they want the game made right?

how is 2 million doing the game justice when the previous games exceeded that budget by a lot more. If i wanted that game made, ill pitch in and would be happy that a big pub stepped up to help too

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

While we can't discuss the business side, just give us more money.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jag85

@microsoftceo9 said:

How so? I think he (along with Miyamoto) did a few good things, however I also see both gain wide exaggeration for achievements they in some cases never did or people reach straws for.

Since you used the term shaped, I'll need some examples. I will agree though that there are a few things he had been forgotten of doing.

I could list dozens of ways in which Yu Suzuki shaped the game industry. But if I had to list all of his accomplishments, it could just end up derailing this entire thread (it happened here once before). Instead, I will just mention one thing directly related to the topic of this thread, and might provide some explanation why Sony is so interested in Yu Suzuki:

How Virtua Fighter Saved Sony's Bacon

In other words, according to Sony themselves, it was Yu Suzuki's Virtua Fighter that provided the blue-print for the PlayStation hardware, and was therefore the reason why the PlayStation became a success and how Sony became a huge gaming juggernaut. Sony's support for Shenmue III could be, in some ways, just a way for Sony to thank Yu Suzuki.

I wouldn't mind bringing up more examples, like how he introduced motion controls to the game industry, and how he laid the foundations for modern 3D gaming, but discussing things like that might be beyond the scope of this topic.

MicrosoftCEO9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MicrosoftCEO9

@Jag85 said:
@microsoftceo9 said:

I could list dozens of different ways in which he shaped the game industry. But if I had to list all of his accomplishments, it could just end up derailing this entire thread (it happened here once before). Instead, I will just mention one thing directly related to the topic of this thread, and might provide some explanation why Sony is so interested in Yu Suzuki:

How Virtua Fighter Saved Sony's Bacon

In other words, according to Sony themselves, it was Yu Suzuki's Virtua Fighter that provided the blue-print for the PlayStation hardware, and was the reason why the PlayStation became a success and why Sony became a huge gaming juggernaut. Sony's support for Shenmue III could be, in some ways, just a way for Sony to thank Yu Suzuki.

I wouldn't mind bringing up more examples, like how he introduced motion controls to the game industry, and how he laid the foundations for modern 3D gaming, but discussing things like that might be beyond the scope of this topic.

That link shows nothing about why Sony randomly decided to put yu suzuki on stage, especially since it's been around 20 years later since VF. They put him on stage for hype and that is literally the only reason, they have no interest in him.

VF is not why Sony became a success, why would you even say that? PS got tp developer on board, easy to make architecture, supported developer in need, made tons of deals that benefited multiple parties, dropped at a low price, great marketing. None of that had to do with VF, 3D system alone is not why Sony won and was successful, and I am actually skeptical of that article but that's another story.

Explain how he laid the foundations for modern 3D gaming. What is modern 3D gaming? This is the point that caugh me the most, Modern 3D gaming?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jag85

@microsoftceo9 said:

VF is not why Sony became a success, why would you even say that? PS got tp developer on board, easy to make architecture, supported developer in need, made tons of deals that benefited multiple parties, dropped at a low price, great marketing. None of that had to do with VF, 3D system alone is not why Sony won and was successful, and I am actually skeptical of that article but that's another story.

Explain how he laid the foundations for modern 3D gaming. What is modern 3D gaming? This is the point that caugh me the most, Modern 3D gaming?

Even if Sony did all of that, do you honestly believe Sony would have succeeded if they made the PlayStation a 2D sprite focused machine like they were originally planning to do? (Before Yu Suzuki's Virtua Fighter changed their minds.) If Sony did that, then the PlayStation would have flopped, regardless of what else they try to do. Why are you denying what the PlayStation's own creators are saying?

Like I said above, if I had to discuss the ways in which Yu Suzuki laid the foundations for modern gaming (including modern 3D gaming), it could very well end up derailing the entire thread, since it's not something that can be condensed down into a single post. I could go on and on about the huge impact that games like Hang-On, Space Harrier, After Burner, Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Shenmue, etc. have had on the game industry, but this thread would just turn into a topic about Yu Suzuki, rather than Shenmue III. And I'd rather this thread focus on Shenmue III. But if you really want to discuss Yu Suzuki's past accomplishments, then you can feel free to create another thread about it, or even better, you could just PM me.

MicrosoftCEO9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MicrosoftCEO9

@Jag85 said:
@microsoftceo9 said:

Even if Sony did all of that, do you honestly believe Sony would have succeeded if they made the PlayStation a 2D sprite focused machine like they were originally planning to do? (Before Yu Suzuki's Virtua Fighter changed their minds.) If Sony did that, then the PlayStation would have flopped, regardless of what else they try to do. Why are you denying what the PlayStation's own creators are saying?

Like I said above, if I had to discuss the ways in which Yu Suzuki laid the foundations for modern gaming (including modern 3D gaming), it could very well end up derailing the entire thread, since it's not something that can be condensed down into a single post. I could go on and on about the huge impact that games like Hang-On, Space Harrier, After Burner, Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Shenmue, etc. have had on the game industry, but this thread would just turn into a topic about Yu Suzuki, rather than Shenmue III. And I'd rather this thread focus on Shenmue III. But if you really want to discuss Yu Suzuki's past accomplishments, then you can feel free to create another thread about it, or even better, you could just PM me.

This is assuming sony was not going to have some 3D in their system when arcade/computers and 3DO which was spearheaded by Sony's biggest rival all were pushing 3D, that's nonsense, we have no way of knowing what would have happened. I'm not denying anything either, I'm skeptical, because there's no confirmation of their words, and this was years later.

I can't make a thread, however you can PM me. Or make a thread, which ever works for you.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@ten_pints said:

Effectively nothing. Which is why they've been completely silent on the whole thing this whole time. At best I can see them handing over assets for Suzuki to use such as animation libraries or music and the like, but other than that they've signed off on letting Suzuki make the game, and that's about it.