YouTube flagging game videos - Copyright War

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

UPDATE:

In the latest development, YouTube has released an official statement that helps clear up the situation a little bit. The site has confirmed that the recent explosion of copyright claims is indeed related to a new system that will subject affiliate partners of MCNs to ContentID scanning. As a reminder, “affiliate” refers to most network partners, while the other category, “managed”, refers to channels where the network itself has taken a more active role.

Here is the unedited statement, in full:

We recently enabled Content ID scanning on channels identified as affiliates of MCNs. This has resulted in new copyright claims for some users, based on policies set by the relevant content owners. As ever, channel owners can easily dispute Content ID claims if they believe those claims are invalid.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE

__

Something is going down on YouTube that is causing a headache for many of the channels that upload video game-related footage. The automated Content ID system that finds copyrighted material in the massive amounts of content uploaded to YouTube every day suddenly began flagging videos that feature games like Dead Space 3, Metro: Last Light, and more.

-

YouTube’s Content ID rampage is affecting some of the largest creators on the site. Popular YouTube gameplay channel TheRadBrad, which has nearly 2 million subscribers, is getting hit hard.

“YouTube is crippling gaming channels with third-party claims,” TheRadBrad posted to Twitter. “Every video I’ve uploaded since 2010 is slowly being taken away from me.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE

JIMQUISITION COPYRIGHT WAR VIDEO HERE

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26511 posts) -
#3 Edited by Speak_Low (1037 posts) -

Will Pukey-Pie be okay?

#4 Posted by LustForSoul (5876 posts) -

Man Google likes to f*** it up hard all at once.

#5 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25201 posts) -
#6 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

So these guys will have to get real jobs now? I like Radbrad's channel.

#7 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

Thank fucking Christ. Not only is the content 99% terrible, it's ridiculous that these jabronis get to profit from someone else's work.

#8 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21705 posts) -

is this why DSPGAMING channel has no videos?

#9 Edited by BattleSpectre (5994 posts) -

As long as Angry Joe isn't effected, everyone else I couldn't careless about. Yes I'm naturally an asshole, thank you for asking.

#10 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26511 posts) -

is this why DSPGAMING channel has no videos?

To be honest, I feel no sympathy for Phil on this matter. I would if I had any ounce of respect in him left though...

#11 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20493 posts) -

Thank fucking Christ. Not only is the content 99% terrible, it's ridiculous that these jabronis get to profit from someone else's work.

So....pretty much you're just mad you didnt think of it first? A lot of people post up game footage and do commentaries on the stuff. They arent getting rich off of people's work, they are getting rich off of commenting on people's work, much like a movie reviewer or an album reviewer or heck a sports commentator. Never heard anyone complain that a sports commentator is a "jabroni" just getting rich off of someone (athletes) work.

#12 Posted by handssss (1834 posts) -

It's a total joke some asshat can just claim copyright for something that doesn't even belong to them and Youtube just goes with it. Especially in the case of youtubers who already got permission from the game devs to post their videos.

#13 Edited by bobbetybob (19255 posts) -

So these guys will have to get real jobs now? I like Radbrad's channel.

Sorry, what's a real job? Is Youtube a career that will last 10-20 years? No probably not, but if I could do something I loved and make money from it instead working a shitty "real job" at McDonalds then I'd sure as hell take the opportunity for as long as I possibly could.

#14 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8609 posts) -

I can't even upload a trailer for a film from a medium which has its copyright lease expired, because there is also a music track that's flagged as third party content even if it's an integral part of said trailer. It's a disgrace.

#15 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71397 posts) -

i had two battlefield videos flagged yesterday

#16 Edited by DirkXXVI (497 posts) -

@waltefmoney said:

So....pretty much you're just mad you didnt think of it first? A lot of people post up game footage and do commentaries on the stuff. They arent getting rich off of people's work, they are getting rich off of commenting on people's work, much like a movie reviewer or an album reviewer or heck a sports commentator. Never heard anyone complain that a sports commentator is a "jabroni" just getting rich off of someone (athletes) work.

Agreed though I wish there was a way to sort out the videos with commentary and the videos of just game footage. It's annoying when I'm looking to just see regular game footage and all of a sudden I hear something like "What's up people it's your boy xxxSmokeW33d4LyfeSniperxxx and today I'm going to be talking about this awesome glitch I found on Madden."

Reminds me of back in the day when I just wanted to find a clip from a show like Dragon Ball Z and found myself having to sort through over 9,000 AMV's of Linkin Park/Drowning Pool videos with terrible cut away effects.

#17 Posted by Heil68 (44108 posts) -

Well that's poopy.

#18 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -

While I would agree if publishers / developers themselves were requesting it as they sometimes do, it seems like it's just Youtube / Google taking it upon themselves to do it. Meh, in the end alot of these people are the reason Youtube makes so much money. If they leave then Youtube will just suffer from the decreased revenue.

#19 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Yep it's total bullshit, youtube videos have never hurt gaming or taken money away from publishers, they just see it as another avenue to squeeze more money out of things.

I had 4 claims against me yesterday, all of which I disputed and 3 of which were fixed in about 20 minutes. One is still outstanding. But the fact that this needs to be done is total crap

Now it begs the question of why should smaller channels even look for a partner network, they were created to avoid this dispute crap

Sad part is someone like RadBrad has gotten hundreds of claims against him since yesterday, even videos from 3 years ago. DSPgaming had one made against him from THQ... a fucking bankrupt company

#20 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Comments like this always read as sheer jealousy. You may not like a lot of the people who make videos but that doesn't mean they should lose their main source of income because of that

#21 Posted by poomonger613 (1330 posts) -

yea i saw this on gaf last night, they better not touch boogie2988 or rev 3

#22 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

So youtube have said that the new changes are legit and will stay..... goodie

We recently enabled Content ID scanning on channels identified as affiliates of MCNs [the networks/Multi Channel Networks]. This has resulted in new copyright claims for some users, based on policies set by the relevant content owners. As ever, channel owners can easily dispute Content ID claims if they believe those claims are invalid.

http://www.tubefilter.com/2013/12/11/youtube-official-statement-contentid-claims/

#23 Edited by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

Well looks like youtube/google are set to piss off their entire gaming community. We'll see how far that gets them.

#24 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

@waltefmoney said:

Sports commentators are licensed to commentate on sports and have a deal in place with the owners. Movie reviewers have signed contracts and are allowed by the owners to review their movie(official ones at least). Gamespot has signed deals with game publishers that allow them to review their games. It's really not that hard to figure out.

#25 Posted by lamprey263 (23629 posts) -

YouTube doesn't flag the videos, someone else does, and users have the ability to challenge that flag and in the process identify the individual who flagged their video. If the user who posted the video is found to have followed the rules for fair use the user might be able to seek legal repercussions against those individuals flagging videos.

#26 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@waltefmoney said:

Sports commentators are licensed to commentate on sports and have a deal in place with the owners. Movie reviewers have signed contracts and are allowed by the owners to review their movie(official ones at least). Gamespot has signed deals with game publishers that allow them to review their games. It's really not that hard to figure out.

Youtube channels partner with networks who pay licensing fees to host videogame content too.

Some guy had received a copy of a game early from the devs themselves to make a first impressions video on it and he got ID matched by the same dev company. It's broken and doesn't work

#27 Posted by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

So I guess live game streaming is next on the list to go out? I mean people can freely stream games onto twitch with zero restrictions what so ever. Are they are going to start screwing people over in that department as well?

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (8363 posts) -

I can understand it. Lazy 20 somethings basically sitting on there ass using a wacky voice gimmick of "cynical/Angry" gimmick. These people (e.g. Total Biscut) are assholes with no talent who should piss off and get a real job rather than nibbling off the profits of people who actually work for a living. Fuck them, quite right to throw out copyright infringements.

#29 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@waltefmoney said:

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@waltefmoney said:

Youtube channels partner with networks who pay licensing fees to host videogame content too.

Some guy had received a copy of a game early from the devs themselves to make a first impressions video on it and he got ID matched by the same dev company. It's broken and doesn't work

So it's like every new system in the history of the world? It will be improved most likely. But you do agree that it's unfair for people who don't adhere to the content owner's rules to be able to profit using their work as a base? Which is what 99% of youtube let's players.

#30 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

I can understand it. Lazy 20 somethings basically sitting on there ass using a wacky voice gimmick of "cynical/Angry" gimmick. These assholes (e.g. Total Biscut) are assholes with no talent who should piss off and get a real job rather than nibbling off the profits of people who actually work for a living. Fuck them, quite right to throw out copyright infringements.

Such jealousy, that's all these types of posts read as.

If you don't like him fine, but it's petty to want them to lose their income. Plus the dude has probably helped sell more games than most other youtubers of the same scale as his channel

From codemasters:

Don't buy into the notion of it putting people off the game, same could be said of reviews, previews, screenshots and trailers we make ourselves. Ultimately it's up to us to make a good game.

#31 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

So it's like every new system in the history of the world? It will be improved most likely. But you do agree that it's unfair for people who don't adhere to the content owner's rules to be able to profit using their work as a base? Which is what 99% of youtube let's players.

I do think strict let's plays are a bit much, where people show off the entirety of the game and not much else. But more often than not those people give thoughts and recommendations about the game as they're doing so or almost treat their run through as a review which falls under fair use

Also these people are like free advertising for game companies. It costs them nothing to allow people to show off their games and if someone like RadBrad does it with almost 2 million subscribers you can bet your ass he's selling some copies of that game by playing it

#32 Posted by uninspiredcup (8363 posts) -

I know how to build hydroplanes, what the fuck has youtube celeb (A) done? Nothing. People like Total Biscut are riding the wave of reality tv culture. Nobody, doing nothing, getting something. Society is going down the shitty. Actual talented people like Frankie Boyle or Armand White put the work in.

#33 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

@waltefmoney said:

I do think strict let's plays are a bit much, where people show off the entirety of the game and not much else. But more often than not those people give thoughts and recommendations about the game as they're doing so or almost treat their run through as a review which falls under fair use

Also these people are like free advertising for game companies. It costs them nothing to allow people to show off their games and if someone like RadBrad does it with almost 2 million subscribers you can bet your ass he's selling some copies of that game by playing it

It's their content. It's their choice what to do with it. Youtube is giving them the tools to do so. These tools may not be perfect, they will be improved. Think about it. Nobody is in the wrong here. People are understandably upset because they will lose a source of income, but anyone with half a brain could have figured out that it won't be a very stable one.

#34 Posted by finalstar2007 (25116 posts) -

You gotta ask the question who is really flagging thse videos? is it really YouTube going through each gaming video and flagging them? or is it the users who are flagging the videos? or the developers themselves?

Flagging entire walkthroughs of a game is understandable from YouTubes side and from the developers side i mean you can watch the entire game of a game on YouTube which could upset the developers of the game and some of those walkthroughs have millions of views so imagine how many people didnt play those games and just ended up watching the games on YouTube?

If only entire walkthroughs are being flagged then its understandable imo but Trophy guides, how to beat a hard boss, reviews, online gameplay matches ( CoD, BF, killzone, etc ) shouldnt be flagged because these videos actually help gamers who own the games or for showing off purposes.

#35 Posted by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

If you know just how many DMCA notices Google gets each day, this will come as no surprise to you. Fact is, Hollywood and its business model is dying and they are trying to grab as much cash from it as they can. These changes to Youtubes copyright system has come from them, they hate the fact that people can get access to things once restricted before the rise of the internet 2.0.

#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

I know how to build hydroplanes, what the fuck has youtube celeb (A) done? Nothing. People like Total Biscut are riding the wave of reality tv culture. Nobody, doing nothing, getting something. Society is going down the shitty. Actual talented people like Frankie Boyle or Armand White put the work in.

Again, if you don't like him then fine, that's your right. But wishing someone like that loses their job and main source of income because "I don't like them" is stupid, petty and juvenile.

Just ignore what he does

#37 Posted by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Again, if you don't like him then fine, that's your right. But wishing someone like that loses their job and main source of income because "I don't like them" is stupid, petty and juvenile.

Just ignore what he does

Hold on one cotton picking second there, did he just put Frankie Boyle and talented in the same sentence?!

#38 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

You gotta ask the question who is really flagging thse videos? is it really YouTube going through each gaming video and flagging them? or is it the users who are flagging the videos? or the developers themselves?

No-one is flagging anything. Youtube's automated service is ID matching copyrighted material, it then takes monetisation away from the uploader and gives it to the company that got ID matched

It's not like someone sits there going through each video walkthrough flagging them

#39 Edited by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

No-one is flagging anything. Youtube's automated service is ID matching copyrighted material, it then takes monetisation away from the uploader and gives it to the company that got ID matched

It's not like someone sits there going through each video walkthrough flagging them

Don't be so sure about that.

#40 Edited by uninspiredcup (8363 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Just ignore what he does

I can and do. Other people sadly don't... and these chumps make money of developers who have spend years crafting a product. Total Biscut in particular is the worst, he sits on his lazy fat ass for 20 minutes telling us how shit a game is. This not only allows him to make money of them, it causes them to loose money. Pretty disgusting. The fact he's constantly picking on indie devs make it worse.

#41 Posted by IgGy621985 (4767 posts) -

This one is particularly hilarious. I mean, wtf youtube?

#42 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Just ignore what he does

Hold on one cotton picking second there, did he just put Frankie Boyle and talented in the same sentence?!

Maybe you should wish Frankie Boyle to lose his job and income because you don't like him, that's how uninspiredcup thinks anyway

#43 Posted by hiphops_savior (7882 posts) -

I can understand it. Lazy 20 somethings basically sitting on there ass using a wacky voice gimmick of "cynical/Angry" gimmick. These people (e.g. Total Biscut) are assholes with no talent who should piss off and get a real job rather than nibbling off the profits of people who actually work for a living. Fuck them, quite right to throw out copyright infringements.

I agree, we should not listen to troll posts by butthurt creators. Most of the more notable channels such as TotalBiscuit has deals with companies such as Machinema, who carries licensing deals with publishers. Which allows uploaders to post videos on their channel in exchange for sharing part of the ad revenue.

The problem right now is that not even that arrangement will protect you from the automated ID system Google implemented.

#44 Edited by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Just ignore what he does

I can and do. Other people sadly don't... and these chumps make money of developers who have spend years crafting a product. Total Biscut in particular is the worst, he sits on his lazy fat ass for 20 minutes telling us how shit a game is. This not only allows him to make money of them, it causes them to loose money. Pretty disgusting. The fact he's constantly picking on indie devs make it worse.

#45 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Sometimes it IS someone flagging them but it's not what the majority of these are

I mean DSPgaming got one from THQ and they're not even around anymore

#46 Posted by uninspiredcup (8363 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Just ignore what he does

Why would you need that? He has already had 2 strikes and threw a bitch fit claiming he will no longer show Sega videos. With with this new ruleset implicated he's pretty much fucked. I win. Game over. The end. e.t.c...

#47 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Just ignore what he does

Oh please, stop acting like a fucking child

If other people watch him they obviously like what he does

You just sound jealous

#48 Posted by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Sometimes it IS someone flagging them but it's not what the majority of these are

THQ might not be, but the people who own their assets are.

#49 Edited by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Just ignore what he does

Why would you need that? He has already had 2 strikes and threw a bitch fit claiming he will no longer show Sega videos. With with this new ruleset implicated he's pretty much fucked. I win. Game over. The end. e.t.c...

Sega has a spat of taking down videos relating to Sega IP's but these weren't limited to gameplay videos, they also took videos from users who were merely talking about the IP's in question.

#50 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

THQ might not be, but the people who own their assets are.

It's just youtubes new algorithm that alerts false fingerprnting claims.

I had 4 claims against me since yesterday and 3 of them were sorted in 10 minutes.

People who have said "we allow videos of our content" and even getting reports of their content getting ID matched because youtube's system for doing so is shit