Your video game idea...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Phazevariance (10887 posts) -

Have you noticed how the new genre' types of games jsut arent really takign hold, there haven't been anything besides puzzle, action, strategy, FPS and RPG for a while (of course im missing some in that small generic list).

If you could come up with a new genre or game, what would you have it be?

List things like gameplay mechanics, storyline, or new concepts that you've never seen in games yet that seperate it as a new genre type.

How about an RTS that incrporates FPS aspects. You control the war via RTS but zoom to FPS to face off in individual battles...

#2 Posted by groovdafied (5010 posts) -
Now why would I tell you, so you can steal my ideas and take them to some dumb corp to mess it up and reap the benefits of money? I THINK NOT!
#3 Posted by ONLYDOD (6026 posts) -

2nd person shooter? :|

That would probably never work...

#4 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -
Just about any genre you could think of has been done in the decades of gaming. Right now, hybrid genres are the new rage.
#5 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

2nd person shooter? :|

That would probably never work...

ONLYDOD

Lifeline and others like that are pretty close to that, actually.

#6 Posted by Kez1984 (4548 posts) -
I'd like to play a game were you play a heroin addict who must come up with creative ways to feed your addiction. it would be an adventure/rpg game. With a spirit eater mechanic like NeveWinter Nights 2: Mask Of the Betrayer with several diffrent endings.
#7 Posted by t3hTwinky (3701 posts) -

I just want a Star Wars Grand Theft Auto.

Imagine the lulz a six star wanted level would bring.

EDIT

And also a Gundam Sim that doesn't suck.

#8 Posted by dragonfly110 (27054 posts) -

I have two ideas

1. A Harry apotter Bully like game.

2. A platformer game that incorporates time travel. Like, lets say that you are trying to get through a tunnel, and there is a wall built there, so you can either go to the past before the wall was built to get through or you could go to the future to when the wall has decayed. It is kinda like BLinx, but to a whole new level.

#9 Posted by Videogamefan123 (941 posts) -
My game would be Hitler von Killingston's sexy crack adventure: Return of the ludircrous chainsaw people. Its a shooter but im not sure on alot of the other deatails but the titel explains it
#10 Posted by shahchip (1282 posts) -

GTA Game where you can travel internationally and can go to vice city/san andreas/liberty city/hogwarts and its an rpg with a 100 cheats - everything from parachute to drivable couch

#11 Posted by legend26 (16010 posts) -
ive always wanted to make an open world zombie game, sort of like dead rising but im taking GTA4 open world
#12 Posted by ThisCurse (1258 posts) -

Check out this one.............I'm calling it "Earth Harvest" and you play as a gray(extra-terrestrial), you must operate an Ion-powered UFO though Earths skies undetected and locate humans to abduct, you would have levitation powers and telpathy, also mind-control. You would perform scientific experiments and harvest DNA from your human subjects. Also while piloting your craft you could harass the worlds fastest jet-fighters and terrorize people by being sighted briefly.

And Im not taking no Destroy All Humans crap! I want a realistic type game that will scare the bejesus out of you. Im thinking some really creepy sythisized music in the background and the ability to see in total darkness.

#13 Posted by locopatho (20032 posts) -

I got loads. But since I'm doing game design in college I'm gonna keep them secret ;)

In 10 years you might be playing them! :P

#14 Posted by redmetal86 (1123 posts) -

I have two ideas

1. A Harry apotter Bully like game.

2. A platformer game that incorporates time travel. Like, lets say that you are trying to get through a tunnel, and there is a wall built there, so you can either go to the past before the wall was built to get through or you could go to the future to when the wall has decayed. It is kinda like BLinx, but to a whole new level.

dragonfly110

that second one kinda reminds me of sonic cd, but with more freedom

#15 Posted by Phazevariance (10887 posts) -
Wow, so much secrecy... i mean, unless you ACTUALLY plan on making a game, why not talk about it so someone CAN make it? lol
#16 Posted by rmerri52 (1824 posts) -

I got loads. But since I'm doing game design in college I'm gonna keep them secret ;)

locopatho

Ahh nice you will be taking game design in college too, same here. So what he said mine will be kept a secret.

#17 Posted by Zassimick (6109 posts) -

A game with an incredibly moving story is my idea. The gameplay might be something like Ninja Gaiden meets RPG or something akin to that.

I have plenty of ideas ranging from large-scale, infiltration games to expose why a queen is attempting to take over civilization to going to hell to stop an end to the world to a love story.

I think if I ever did make a game though, the central focus would be a love story. For length, there would be much that happens in it but you actually don't see too many games focus on love stories, RPGs being the only ones. People may hate me for the idea, but it could create a very great emotional attachment between the characters in the game and the gamer.

#18 Posted by Skittles_McGee (9136 posts) -
I'd like to see an open-world zombie apocalypse game. In it, the character should be able to use anything at their disposal to survive. There should be realistic body damage, like if you break a zombie's arm it should have a harder time grabbing on, or if your foot is injured you move slower. Also, realism would be nice. Like you have to find food and water to survive, vehicles have limited fuel. There's little to no electricity anywhere without emergency generators, etc. I'm not sure if the one-bite infection scenario would work in the context of a game though, unless it was possible to find an anti-virus. But also, for combat, you should be able to wield nearly anything including your own body or the environment. The zombies should be close to the "norm" too. Such as having no fear, poor balance, decaying over time, etc. And the character can interact with other survivors in multiple ways.. like choosing to work together, going it alone, taking a leadership position, giving and following orders, etc. Its too complex to do right now, I think, but in the future...
#19 Posted by Skittles_McGee (9136 posts) -
ive always wanted to make an open world zombie game, sort of like dead rising but im taking GTA4 open worldlegend26
Way to steal my idea :P
#20 Posted by blackdreamhunk (3880 posts) -

Have you noticed how the new genre' types of games jsut arent really takign hold, there haven't been anything besides puzzle, action, strategy, FPS and RPG for a while (of course im missing some in that small generic list).

If you could come up with a new genre or game, what would you have it be?

List things like gameplay mechanics, storyline, or new concepts that you've never seen in games yet that seperate it as a new genre type.

How about an RTS that incrporates FPS aspects. You control the war via RTS but zoom to FPS to face off in individual battles...

Phazevariance
not true it seems that star duck has beening making new genre look at sins of the solar empire. Next big tittle will be demi-god
#21 Posted by Kuhu (2845 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"]

rmerri52

Ahh nice you will be taking game design in college too, same here. So what he said mine will be kept a secret.

Damn you all I wanted to do game design D:

#22 Posted by locopatho (20032 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"]

rmerri52

Yup year 1 down, year 2 starting in September. 1/4 of my way to world domination :twisted: :P

kuhu

Why can't you?

#23 Posted by Kuhu (2845 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuhu"]

locopatho

Why can't you?

I have ideas for games, but I lack the computer knowledge to apply these ideas.

#24 Posted by Kez1984 (4548 posts) -

Tom Hanks: Pro Actor.

Kinda like Tony Hawks with acting and a dash of the sims.

#25 Posted by locopatho (20032 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="kuhu"]

Kuhu

Why can't you?

Do a college course :P

#26 Posted by Djmaster214 (3236 posts) -

[QUOTE="legend26"]ive always wanted to make an open world zombie game, sort of like dead rising but im taking GTA4 open worldSkittles_McGee
Way to steal my idea :P

lol me too

picture this

I am legend stile open city, you gotta get food water ammo etc. but its first person

with a gritty atmosphere similar to that of Bioshock. and its co op 4 player.

#27 Posted by Kuhu (2845 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kuhu"][QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="kuhu"]

locopatho

Why can't you?

I'm far beyond that now ha ha, already going into my second year of Criminology, and then will be going into Law/Prosecution afterwards.

#28 Posted by Djmaster214 (3236 posts) -

lol man i hate to be redundant but i wanted to as well. took web design all highschoo l( techincal school)

then in college i decided to pick history as my major

#29 Posted by blackdreamhunk (3880 posts) -

I would do a sea game a high fantasy sea game and a spi game

#30 Posted by locopatho (20032 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Kuhu"][QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="kuhu"]

Kuhu

Why can't you?

I'm far beyond that now ha ha, already going into my second year of Criminology, and then will be going into Law/Prosecution afterwards.

O well. You better give me all your ideas so I can make them games :D

In fact, *writes down every idea mentioned so far* :P

#31 Posted by Kuhu (2845 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kuhu"][QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Kuhu"][QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="kuhu"]

locopatho

Why can't you?

O well. You better give me all your ideas so I can make them games :D

In fact, *writes down every idea mentioned so far* :P

xD good idea. Maybe I'll become a lawyer and work for a game company or something, its practically the same thing! xD

#32 Posted by Iceman2911 (2669 posts) -
a bleach game for the ps3 that is good,lair 2 but this time you can fight off of the dragon,a realistic star wars game you start off as a padawan and can make your own decisions.
#33 Posted by LibertySaint (6500 posts) -
your right, where did u read that, the same place as me... kotaku? Yes it is easy to infer to, its due to the hype of this generation and always wanting more, more (the fanboys cry out) meaning a quantity of games are being played and then sluffed by. Games are getting fans, but now the games are so many, fans are spead so thin, developers don't see a worth of making a new verison of that game soon meaning more games that are different that may be good but most are average. This gen is full of games and money...but the money is spead thin i tell ya. To get something that lasts u need a VERY good game and lots of money in ads, like cod4, halo and others have, or u need alot of fans from the previous generation transferring over, gta4 has that....so yeah a new game no matter what, unless its hyped alot, has lots of ads, is a VERY good game it will be mentioned alot. no game below 9.0 lasts to long this gen.
#34 Posted by ArisShadows (22609 posts) -
I dunno about me but the Cole Train wants a Mary Poppins game.
#35 Posted by LibertySaint (6500 posts) -
[QUOTE="rmerri52"][QUOTE="locopatho"]

locopatho

Yup year 1 down, year 2 starting in September. 1/4 of my way to world domination :twisted: :P

kuhu

Why can't you?

i'm with ya...sort of... i'm learning graphics deisgn, and motion cap for games and movies this september and onward :) hehe
#36 Posted by SSCyborg (7625 posts) -

I have some.

Not like I'm going to tell you though. :|

#37 Posted by AnnoyedDragon (9948 posts) -

I have this RPG world idea put in a techo/magic setting, not original but something I would be interested in playing.

Your village gets attacked one night and you are one of the town militia, you fight your way through the invaders until a powerful mage pretty much incinerates you. In the games afterlife a deity sees a use in you (for reasons explained later in the game story) and gives the player the option of resurrection for revenge; the price being eternal servitude to the god.

Of course your body was destroyed, so you go through character creation to choose a new body. Once completed the deity transports the player to an immigrant boat at stormy sea traveling to a city, it gets attacked by pirates were the player follows a tutorial on different occupation/class approaches in the game. When docked you have no identification papers, but due to your assistance against the pirate attack authorities do you the favour of setting up documentation (class/starting abilities).

Once in the city, which is essentially the America of the world with a variety of cultures and races living together, the lessor minions of the deity guide you to finding the mage to take revenge; which you later discover is part of a bigger plot the god specifically recruited you to deal with.

In order to acquire the assistance and resources to succeed in the game; the player has to join an organisation/guild. Each guild will have a different perspective on events in the main story, as you raise in rank you acquire more authority; allowing the player to utilise different resources in completing main story objectives.

Eventually you learn that there is an organisation within the game plotting against the gods; to eliminate their authority over mortal races somehow. The deity you work for knows this group could not achieve what they have without divine assistance, however he does not know which deity is behind it and why. So he recruited someone unknown, someone to explore and investigate both the mortal and divine realms in an effort to discover who is behind it.

It is for that reason you were recruited, eventually you will have to make choices that affect the games ending. If you serve your master god faithfully, betray him for allegiances with another god, somehow betray him for allegiances with the humans fighting the gods without dying or find a way to break free from your eternal servitude.

#38 Posted by -sharp-shooter- (2566 posts) -

My game is called CloverField.

You and your friends are in a big city you can play in most major big cities with big buildings. You start at a point and have to make your way to the safezone/helicopter pickup zone. You and your friends can either stick together or go solo. Some could survive or you could all die. You start out without weaponsyou start ina random location in the street picking up/finding weapons on the way. you can get in cars and almost every building you can go into. The game will be so huge every time you play your experiance will be different. basically you try to get from point A to point B without the giant monster killing you or finding you.

Items you have with you are a map of the city your in which you can place coordinates on or routes on where you and your friends should go or where you should split up.

Flashlight- so you can see in the dark or use it as a weapon

First aid kit-heals yourself

Cell Phone- Use it to call nearbye places or npcs to help you out or warn you about paths you should not take.

for increased difficulty there could be more than 1 monster.

I named it cloverfield because alls I could think off was this game is really close to the movie but you could have godzilla or some other type of monster. aliens maybe.

#39 Posted by blackdreamhunk (3880 posts) -
#40 Posted by Vaasman (11087 posts) -

Yea right, like I'm just going to let you guys steal my ideas. They are waaaaay to great to offer up that easily.

#41 Posted by Vax45 (4834 posts) -

Click on my sig for my game idea (long).

It's nothing out of the ordinary, though. Just a mix of platforming and TPS and a little RPG.

#42 Posted by Wasdie (49232 posts) -
A MMO Hack n' Slash. Just think of the possiblities.
#43 Posted by starmetroid (5000 posts) -
check my blog for mine