Your powers are weak old man...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 MayorJohnny
Member since 2003 • 7838 Posts

In some ways, this generation is weaker than the last two.

Where are the consistently awesome games in a VARIETY OF GENRES that was abundant in the late '90s through to the end of 2005? Where are the highly interesting games that aren't just "Teh Mature!!!1" or have to be a gory action game?

Downloadable content overload... Firmware and patches galore... A general increase in unneccessary profanity in games for "cool" factor... What happened? What in the world happened!? :question:

Let's wind the clock back five years, these devs and comps wouldn't dare cross any of you. I mean, what happened!? Did your buttons fall off?

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

Where are the consistently awesome games in a VARIETY OF GENRES that was abundant in the late '90s through to the end of 2005? Where are the highly interesting games that aren't just "Teh Mature!!!1" or have to be a gory action game?

Downloadable content overload... Firmware and patches galore... A general increase in unneccessary profanity in games for "cool" factor... What happened? What in the world happened!? :question:

Let's wind the clock back five years, these devs and comps wouldn't dare cross any of you. I mean, what happened!? Did your buttons fall off?

MayorJohnny

Its the batman.

And also, you know what we could all do to help out the gaming industry? It's simple...uh, we kill... the batman.

MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MayorJohnny

[QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

PSdual_wielder

Its the batman.

And also, you know what we could all do to help out the gaming industry? It's simple...uh, we kill... the batman.

LOL! :lol:

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

:lol:Funny, I watched that ealier today in BluRay.

whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

I loved gaming in the past.... but I'm enjoying this gen much more than the last...... maybe because I have a whole lot more disposable income this gen, I dunno.

MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MayorJohnny

FFCYAN

Heh, The Dark Knight FTW! :D

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#7 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

ok first off, as an owner of every current console, i can say, if you own a 360 i wonder why, all fpses .

where as wii and ps3 ,

they offer racing games platforming games on rail shooters etc ,

but like you i do agree , but its not last gen its the 16 bit gen for me ,

the best ever , top gear

super mairo kart zombies ate my neighbors , mario bros world rpg sonic etc, n64 gen was great to ,, last gen , well it was so so , timesplitters all nintendo and sony games, then ms being new i had to try it, i loved it but this gen ,

i dont know maybe its the lack of split screen multiplayer one of the top reasons i hate the 360 or ps3,

is the lack , of it,

but theres reasons their good to ,

i mean if it werent for wii, i dont know how bored i would have gotten , because we all know early well 2 yrs in ps3 had littler to nothing ,

and all 360 had was fps and racing games,

wii had a great line up still does, today ,

its right up there with n64 snes ps1 ps2 , ps3 may come a good 2nd

but as we stand, i think wii was needed, i jsut had a blast with kill zone 2, but then theres mario kart , i dont know how many times i play this and still have fun

red steel got a little play time ,, ,

i got a good long list of games i dont wanna bother , tc its all up to what you play, i play a good variety , fighting -ssbb , family;/borad-monopoly wii , marioparty racing -mariokart pgr 4 gta/sandbox - gta saint row driver -wii ps3 360 respectivelly ,

platforming -mario galaxy adventure=zelda metriod , sports-wwe nascar etc, on rail shooters, -house of the dead 2/3 wii , dead rising etc , ive found many wii/ps3/360 /ds /psp games i like to play plus if im bored i got the whole back library lol for my n64 nes snes ps1 ps2 gba gbc gb gg gb xbox gc, atari 2600

plus my current consoles, \lol \

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

1: Please show this amazing variety of quality games in different genres in the 16-bit era. There was a ton of amazing games but not in nearly as many genres as there is today.

2. There is a great variety now on the consoles.

3. Gamers have looked for "mature" and "gory" games sense Doom, Mortal Kombat and games before them so this is absolutely nothing new and this gen should not be blamed for something it doesn't do.

TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheCraving
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts

Its simple...

We kill Cliffy B.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JLF1

ok first off, as an owner of every current console, i can say, if you own a 360 i wonder why, all fpses .

where as wii and ps3 ,

they offer racing games platforming games on rail shooters etc ,

but like you i do agree , but its not last gen its the 16 bit gen for me ,

the best ever , top gear

super mairo kart zombies ate my neighbors , mario bros world rpg sonic etc, n64 gen was great to ,, last gen , well it was so so , timesplitters all nintendo and sony games, then ms being new i had to try it, i loved it but this gen ,

i dont know maybe its the lack of split screen multiplayer one of the top reasons i hate the 360 or ps3,

is the lack , of it,

but theres reasons their good to ,

i mean if it werent for wii, i dont know how bored i would have gotten , because we all know early well 2 yrs in ps3 had littler to nothing ,

and all 360 had was fps and racing games,

wii had a great line up still does, today ,

its right up there with n64 snes ps1 ps2 , ps3 may come a good 2nd

but as we stand, i think wii was needed, i jsut had a blast with kill zone 2, but then theres mario kart , i dont know how many times i play this and still have fun

red steel got a little play time ,, ,

i got a good long list of games i dont wanna bother , tc its all up to what you play, i play a good variety , fighting -ssbb , family;/borad-monopoly wii , marioparty racing -mariokart pgr 4 gta/sandbox - gta saint row driver -wii ps3 360 respectivelly ,

platforming -mario galaxy adventure=zelda metriod , sports-wwe nascar etc, on rail shooters, -house of the dead 2/3 wii , dead rising etc , ive found many wii/ps3/360 /ds /psp games i like to play plus if im bored i got the whole back library lol for my n64 nes snes ps1 ps2 gba gbc gb gg gb xbox gc, atari 2600

plus my current consoles, \lol \

mariokart64fan

The 360 has the best variety of any consoles this generation.

whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

1: Please show this amazing variety of quality game in different genres in the 16-bit era. There was a ton of amazing games but not in nearly as many genres as there is today.

3. Gamers have looked for "mature" and "gory" games sense Doom, Mortal Kombat and games before them so this is absolutely nothing new and tis gen should not be blamed for something it doesn't do.

JLF1

what he said

MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MayorJohnny

1: Please show this amazing variety of quality game in different genres in the 16-bit era. There was a ton of amazing games but not in nearly as many genres as there is today.

3. Gamers have looked for "mature" and "gory" games sense Doom, Mortal Kombat and games before them so this is absolutely nothing new and tis gen should not be blamed for something it doesn't do.

JLF1

1. I didn't mention 16 bit games. I was talking about games from the last two generations of consoles only.

2. Oh? Quantity is not variety. Where are the high quality 3D platformers, adventure games, and family friendly games that aren't just shovelware (and not just on Wii)?

3. Yes, that's right. Well, what is the logical point of a noticeable increase of unneccessary profanity in a lot of these "mature" games? I guess that one reason is because it must make games more "cool" and "gritty." There's too much focus on making games more cinematic, and it dilutes the magic ofit (IMO).

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

MayorJohnny

1. I didn'tmention 16 bit games. I was talking about games from the the last two generations of consoles only.

2. Oh? Quantity is not variety. Where are the high quality 3D platformers, adventure games, and family friendly games that aren't just shovelware?

3. Yes, that's right.Well, what is the logical point of a noticeable increase of unneccessary profanity in a lot of these "mature" games? One reason is because it must make games more "cool" and "gritty." There's too much focus on making games more cinematic, and it dilutes the magic of it (IMO).

I agree. Gameplay needs to be THEE forefront of any videogame. Cinamatics are getting too long. That's not what games are about.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JLF1

[QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

FFCYAN

1. I didn'tmention 16 bit games. I was talking about games from the the last two generations of consoles only.

2. Oh? Quantity is not variety. Where are the high quality 3D platformers, adventure games, and family friendly games that aren't just shovelware?

3. Yes, that's right.Well, what is the logical point of a noticeable increase of unneccessary profanity in a lot of these "mature" games? One reason is because it must make games more "cool" and "gritty." There's too much focus on making games more cinematic, and it dilutes the magic of it (IMO).

I agree. Gameplay needs to be THEE forefront of any videogame. Cinamatics are getting too long. That's not what games are about.

Who are you to say what a game is? some genres like RPG has always had long cinematics. The only reason there is more story in the games today is because story is actually something games have never really done in a good way before.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

MayorJohnny

1. I didn't mention 16 bit games. I was talking about games from the last two generations of consoles only.

2. Oh? Quantity is not variety. Where are the high quality 3D platformers, adventure games, and family friendly games that aren't just shovelware (and not just on Wii)?

3. Yes, that's right. Well, what is the logical point of a noticeable increase of unneccessary profanity in a lot of these "mature" games? I guess that one reason is because it must make games more "cool" and "gritty." There's too much focus on making games more cinematic, and it dilutes the magic ofit (IMO).

2. Banjo kazooie:NaB, Ratchet and Clank:ToD, Little Big Planet, Kameo. Adventure games as in Myst? these have never been huge on consoles.
Singstar, rockband, guitat hero, scene it, lips! all family friendly.

On the 360 you can find quality games in:

FPS
TPS
RTS
TBS
Adventure game
Platformers, 2D and 3D
Arcade racers
Sim Racers
Arcade flight games
Puzzle games
WRPG
JRPG
SJRPG
Music games
Retro games
Sport games

How is this not good variety?

3. This generation has not started any noticeable increase of unneccessary profanity in a lot of these "mature" games. It was just as bad last generation and the gen before it.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Who are you to say what a game is? some genres like RPG has always had long cinematics. The only reason there is more story in the games today is because story is actually something games have never really done in a good way before.

JLF1

The quality of videogame stories has been on a steady decline since ~2000.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JLF1

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

RobbieH1234

In some genres yes but other has just started getting into the story part of games.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

It seems that this gen, the only titles that REALLY stand out are just shooters.. every now and then, youll get a fighter, a platformer or a racer, but the vast majority are shooters. and after a few years, that gets very old

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RobbieH1234

Its the batman.

PSdual_wielder

How about a magic trick?

Ta-daa! It's...it's gone.

In some genres yes but other has just started getting into the story part of games.

JLF1

Well...shooters, WRPGs and adventure games definitely have worse stories now. I'm not sure about some of the other genres, but we had the likes of Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and Baldur's Gate 2 back then which was when videogames peaked as a whole in terms of story.

ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts

FFCYAN
Ditto! :P
ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts

All you care about is Reveiws! This forum deserves a better class of Gamer annd Im gonna give it em!

Its not about reveiws...iiits about sending A message...Everthing Flops!

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
[QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]

The best EVER!:D:D:D
X1Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 X1Viper
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts
X-WING vs TIE FIGHTER ftw!!!!!!!!!
deuce85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deuce85
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

[QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

PSdual_wielder

Its the batman.

This thread was full of win after these first 2 posts.

MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MayorJohnny

All you care about is Reveiws! This forum deserves a better class of Gamer annd Im gonna give it em!

Its not about reveiws...iiits about sending A message...Everthing Flops!

ImOldGreg

LOL! Awesome! :lol:

MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MayorJohnny

[QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

JLF1

2. Banjo kazooie:NaB, Ratchet and Clank:ToD, Little Big Planet, Kameo. Adventure games as in Myst? these have never been huge on consoles.

FPS
TPS
RTS
TBS
Adventure game
Platformers, 2D and 3D
Arcade racers
Sim Racers
Arcade flight games
Puzzle games
WRPG
JRPG
SJRPG
Music games
Retro games
Sport games

3. This generation has not started any noticeable increase of unneccessary profanity in a lot of these "mature" games. It was just as bad last generation and the gen before it.

2. None of those games are traditional 3D platformers. Kameo: Elements of Power is a good example of an adventure game; however,there needs to more games like that, and not just from RARE. It's as if a lot of developers are insecure about the platform genre, and add some gimmick to it (example is Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, though I haven't played it). They could've been innovative without altering the fundamentals of what makes it a platformer. Look at Super Mario Galaxy. It had a fresh control scheme and unique level design, yet the core gameplay wasn't changed.

I'm not going after the Xbox 360 only. The PS3 doesn't yet have the same great variety that the PS2 had. Actually, I think that the variety of quality games from third parties is the worst. So, I'm not being a fanboy.

3. Oh really? Where was it in FPS games such as Perfect Dark, the Turok series, Quake II, etc... I think even the original Half-Life (which I've played some before). These are just some examples, and I didn't see the "language" descriptor on near as many games then.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

RobbieH1234

Yes we'll never see any RPGS that have stories that can measure up to PlaneScape Torment and XenoGears (PSX)

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]

DeadMan1290

WatchMen was better JK or am I? :!::question::o

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

jasonharris48

joker vs rorschach = win cake

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"] The best EVER!:D:D:Dthespywholied

joker vs rorschach = win cake

That would be one sweet fight

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
Profanity in games have gotten ridiculous. So many games can do with out it, but force it. Killzone 2 is a perfect example. A curse word here and there, I understand... but you can tell when it's forced and not needed.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
X-WING vs TIE FIGHTER ftw!!!!!!!!!X1Viper
Plain ol' TIE Fighter was better, IMO :P
renger6002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 renger6002
Member since 2004 • 4481 Posts

MayorJohnny
you get automatic win for quoting dark knight. and really, I think this has been going on for way longer (not counting DLC)
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RobbieH1234

jasonharris48

I'd go with Rorschach on that one.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

RobbieH1234

I'd go with Rorschach on that one.

same here

PSGamerforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PSGamerforlife
Member since 2009 • 862 Posts

My game collection this gen so far is:

Warhawk

Assassins creed

Uncharted

LittleBigPlanet

GT5 Prologue

Resistance 2

Wipeout HD

Dead space

Metal Gear Solid 4

Killzone 2

Isnt that good variety?

But I do agree with you, the past gens (mainly the 5th gen..(ahh..ps1)) were better than this gen. Altho im liking this gen better than last gen.

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 DeckardLee
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

@mariokart64fan: Your "paragraphs" make my eyes bleed and force me to kill kittens.

Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

FPS
TPS
RTS
TBS
Adventure game
Platformers, 2D and 3D
Arcade racers
Sim Racers
Arcade flight games
Puzzle games
WRPG
JRPG
SJRPG
Music games
Retro games
Sport games

JLF1

ok so where are these quaility platformers on 360? 360 is dead last in platforming...:lol: quality RTS's on a console, that's also a good one, 360 also has the weakest variety in music games, and the exact same sports games as ps3, i wont get into everysingle genre because theyre ALL debatable, but those are the ones that were just plain stupid

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts
Where are the consistently awesome games in a VARIETY OF GENRES that was abundant in the late '90s through to the end of 2005?MayorJohnny
You can thank Japanese developers for that.
Where are the highly interesting games that aren't just "Teh Mature!!!1" or have to be a gory action game? A general increase in unneccessary profanity in games for "cool" factor... MayorJohnny
You can thank Western developers for that.
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

Games went pretty much completely mainstream.

They're geared towards mass audiences, trying to please everybody at once, thus watering down specialty titles. They're not really making games anymore, they're making products.

dispator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dispator
Member since 2005 • 570 Posts
[QUOTE="t3hTwinky"]

Games went pretty much completely mainstream.

They're geared towards mass audiences, trying to please everybody at once, thus watering down specialty titles. They're not really making games anymore, they're making products.

I completely agree with this,and also to add that somebody else here was saying the developers seem rather unsure about other genres and they just pump out FPS after FPS becouse they think,well its the the most popular genre easiest to copy,requires no mayor storyline and in reality it probably will sell more than a platformer or an rts.This doesnt strictly apply to FPS but to all shooting/war based games! Its really sad that an mediocre shooter can sell as an excellent game in other genres. In a way they are conditioning the consumer(gamer) to expect(hype) FPS games to the max,so they can continue to cash in on the tested formula of fps,and in reality most of the FPSs in the last few years were more of the same from previus gens just with alot of smoke and mirrors to try to sell them as something new and unseen! Dont know if im alone in this but i played so many fps that i truly dont care for them much and im looking in them to see some mayor improvements in quality of the storyline,imersivnes and above all the single player experience its sad that duke3d or quake are longer than most if not all FPS of this gen!! ---halo+killzone--- dont hate couse i think your games are simplistic and dont do nothing extremely well or new...i like and own both but the evolution of the most prominent genre just isnt there,nor is it in anyother title out now example is crysis and its craptastic story cmon make a plot driven long fps with some new design choices and a great ranking based competetive multyplayer! RANT OVER
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i think the gaming industry are friend or foe. reference to spiderman, since people are trying to make this into a batman theme.