Your final verdict about South Park: Stick of the Truth

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4624 posts) -

I have just finished the game. I went fully completionist with it. 16 hours in total, but that was a hell of a ride.

South Park: Stick of the Truth is probably the best (western) JRPG in the last 8 years. Yeh I mean it.

The funniest game I have played in the long long time. The first game this year that I have completed without playing other games.

In my opinion, this game is a 9/10. Kevin Vanord, criticizing the rpg part, probably haven´t played an old school jrpg before. This game is one of the most fun jrpg I have ever played. Old school JRPGs as a genre are not great RPGs by default. But Stick of the Truth is a nice exception. Obviously, Baldur's Gate it is not.

But the story, humor and gameplay as a whole package are top notch. Seriously. I can't remember being so engaged with the story since Mass Effect (South Park-style type of a story, of course).

RPG: 6/10, but gameplay in general, 9/10

Story : 9/10

Humor, gag, references: 10/10

Graphics: like cartoon itself, almost imperceptible transition between cinematics and gameplay, 10/10

Final Score: 9/10, I want a sequel NOW.

So what is your verdict ?

#2 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3544 posts) -

I give it a 9/10 I loved it so much and want a sequel on next gen with more areas more story more exploring and more humour. It's honestly my game of the month!! I loved it a hell of a lot!

#3 Posted by mems_1224 (46941 posts) -
#4 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4624 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

(western) JRPG

LOL wut?

Gameplay mechanics are of an old shool JRPG. But it's not made in Japan.

#5 Posted by mems_1224 (46941 posts) -
#6 Posted by glez13 (8760 posts) -

Good and long South Park episode but almost mediocre game. 7/10.

#7 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4624 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

@mems_1224 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

(western) JRPG

LOL wut?

Then its not a JRPG

That's why I called it Western JRPG. Duh. If you have a better term, illuminate me.

#8 Posted by wolverine4262 (19230 posts) -

I beat it earlier today. I give it an 8/10. Only had a few minor gripes.

#9 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13806 posts) -

I still need to play this, does the Jew get a giant Dreidel summon?

Because that would be amazing.

And TC, JRPG's are among the best Rpg's in existence.

#10 Posted by PS4TrumpsXbox1 (1070 posts) -

I have just finished the game. I went fully completionist with it. 16 hours in total, but that was a hell of a ride.

South Park: Stick of the Truth is probably the best (western) JRPG in the last 8 years. Yeh I mean it.

The funniest game I have played in the long long time. The first game this year that I have completed without playing other games.

In my opinion, this game is a 9/10. Kevin Vanord, criticizing the rpg part, probably haven´t played an old school jrpg before. This game is one of the most fun jrpg I have ever played. Old school JRPGs as a genre are not great RPGs by default. But Stick of the Truth is a nice exception. Obviously, Baldur's Gate it is not.

But the story, humor and gameplay as a whole package are top notch. Seriously. I can't remember being so engaged with the story since Mass Effect (South Park-style type of a story, of course).

Graphics: like cartoon itself, almost imperceptible transition between cinematics and gameplay, 10/10

I am actually enjoying the game. Its a good south park game and a good humorous game. I wouldnt go far to say its a good rpg though. The fact that leveling up caps at 15 kind threw that out the window.... Also levels kinda short (i.e school levels, abortion clinic level etc...) The bulk of the game play time is exploring the building and houses in south park

#11 Edited by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: he said western jprg though.. there's something wrong there.

#12 Posted by Pray_to_me (2837 posts) -

It's called a turn based RPG you fuckin' nub.

#13 Posted by mbrockway (3461 posts) -

The game tickles me, I love it. Its also dang near impossible to play with a mouse, good thing the 360 pad works great. Reminds me alot of the 1st On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness, which is a good thing. It is almost certainly the best licensed game ever.

#14 Posted by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

Considering it only takes 16 hours to complete it. I feel that's a big issue when it's an RPG.

It took them four years to make a 16 hour game though with a generic battle system? I can't say I'm a not disappointed. My favorite game (do I really need to mention what it is? You guys should know me by now :p) is over 5 times the length to beat and over 150 hours to complete it.

#15 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28380 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

@mems_1224 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

(western) JRPG

LOL wut?

Then its not a JRPG

um no?

Jrpg is more a definition of style than of region it was made it, just like darksouls and demon souls were wrpgs made in japan.

#16 Posted by sailor232 (4577 posts) -

Just finished it 10 minutes ago. I really liked it, a 7/10 is a perfect score. I'm a huge fan of the show so it helped greatly that I 'got' all the jokes etc. The last 1/4 of the game was insane.

#17 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13806 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@ReadingRainbow4: he said western jprg though.. there's something wrong there.

He's just referring to the style, which I can understand. Awkwardly phrased tho.

#18 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3636 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I still need to play this, does the Jew get a giant Dreidel summon?

Because that would be amazing.

I hope that answers the question.

Edit:

I rate it a 7/10 game but a 9/10 experience.

#19 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10484 posts) -

It's South Park. I love its perverse, offensive humor with graphic deplorable violence all coupled in a fundamentally sound RPG.

#20 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11463 posts) -

Humor ? What are you, twelve ?

#21 Posted by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

Awesome as f*ck! :P I'll just copy my comment from the lounge thread:

@Desmonic said:

Finished South Park: Stick of Truth.....OMFG! F*ckin brilliant! XD

Soo much awesomeness in that story! The twists (which are plentiful) were just brilliant and so were the levels! Massive kudos to Obsidian (though they really can't make a damn game without bugs) and Matt&Trey for the awesome game.

If you're a South Park fan, you NEED to play this game! The game does reach several moments of perfection if you are a fan of the show :D

Hope they make some story DLC or even consider making a sequel/another SP game in this style. Despite being awesome, the fact that it is so short leaves you begging for more :P I mean, the main story could have easily been some 2-3 hours longer without actually changing anything (there were some decisions made for you during the story, which could have easily been quests) but essentially they should add better side-quests. Adding to the fact they are few, most of them were either short or too easy or were completed while doing the main story.

So here's hoping! :D Plus if they do decide to make another game, the hard part is already done: the graphics, the animation and even the town map (which were 3 of the biggest issues converting from TV to the game) are already done and useable in the future! :)

------

On a more technical level, I actually enjoyed the combat mechanics. They were simple yet allowed for a decent amount of complexity; it allowed the combat itself to either be very fast paced or slow and steady. Best of all, they worked perfectly in the game. Again, kudos to Obsidian on this.

And yeah, a sequel or an expansion/DLC would be more than welcome! Though only if Matt & Trey get super involved again!

9/10 GOTY! :P

#22 Posted by yokofox33 (29508 posts) -

I'd give it an 8.5

Technical issues keep it from that 9 score, and it is a tad on the easy side. Everything about the game is fun though. The story, the gameplay, etc. I really hope they make another one in the future that runs a little better and perhaps has a more polished battle system and RPG elements. Love the game though.

#23 Edited by santoron (7717 posts) -

Picked up my copy this weekend. Just waiting to finish up my P4 golden play through before I begin and I can hardly wait!

#24 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

Haven't quite finished yet but I think its a solid 8/10. Combat is a bit basic and repetitive for me to score higher than that (and a bit like GS i don't give away high scores) but the game itself is fun as hell and I'd recommend for any self-respecting SP fan in a heart beat.

#25 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

why did you capitalise "R" when thats the least important thing in JLSG's? :P (Japanese Linear Story Games)

#26 Posted by Heil68 (43933 posts) -

It's pretty good thus far. I would give it 7/10 as well.

#27 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13806 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

why did you capitalise "R" when thats the least important thing in JLSG's? :P (Japanese Linear Story Games)

I always found them more interesting than wall of text mouse clicking simulators like planescape borement :)

#28 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7127 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Most WRPGs aren't very good in that regard anymore, either.

#29 Posted by vincent380 (2243 posts) -

A solid 8 from me.

My main problem with the game is it felt very easy, Not to many side missions, Only being able to have two people in a party wish could at least have three. All these are minor though still a fun game.

#30 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

Humor ? What are you, twelve ?

What are YOU...a liberal?

#31 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Most WRPGs aren't very good in that regard anymore, either.

was just a tongue in cheek remark!

#32 Posted by dethtrain (392 posts) -

@glez13 said:

Good and long South Park episode but almost mediocre game. 7/10.

Yeah I'd have to agree. Not a big fan of the show, I don't dislike it I just don't watch TV. It had it's ridiculous moments. But gameplay wise it was pretty MEH to me.

#33 Edited by kozzy1234 (35230 posts) -

Just beat it, 23 hours. Hell of a game, 9/10 for me personally. It was fun to play, it was funny as hell, and just felt like South Park, very good licensed game. Obsidian, Trey and Matt all deserve a ton of credit. The combat to was better than you're average jrpg and much better than I expected. I also only had one small bug that I fixed by reloading my savegame, the rest of the game was problem free. Also liked that there was a good amount of side quests, I spent hours just doin side quests.

Giantbombs review was spot on imo (ex gamepsot reviewer), but its 86% review average right now is pretty spot on. Every rpg doesn't have to be 40+ hours guys! 23 hours is perfect for me, I think alot of people missed most of the side quests to be honest, alot of them you have to go hunt down or be on a certain character as your teammate. As the devs said, 8-12 hours for someone who does just the campaign, and 20+ for people who do ALL the sidequests.

As a south park fan not much more I could ask for to be honest, maybe put the side quests in the main quest so more people don't miss some or most of them lol. Hopefully we get some DLC or expansion pack one day for this, as Obsidian did my favorite expansion pack ever (Mask of The Betrayer) and one of my fav DLC's (OLD WORLD BLUES).

#34 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11463 posts) -

@ RoboCopISJesus

What the hell is a Liberal ?

#35 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7403 posts) -

Haven't played it yet and I'm not paying $65 for it.

#36 Edited by adamosmaki (9503 posts) -

An 8,5 but that is mainly because i'm a big southpark fan. If say i wasnt a southpark fan i would rate it a 7-7,5 aka good game but nothing special but been Southpark and the fact it manages to capture the feel of the show perfectly then its an 8,5 game for me. Main gripe with the game is it felt very easy even on hardest difficulty plus the world size its quite small for an RPG game and ends quite soon . On the plus side of gameplay was the combat that was quite fun and felt good

#37 Posted by DarthBilf (1356 posts) -

@ RoboCopISJesus

What the hell is a Liberal ?

...seriously?

#38 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

It was bloody brilliant. I've just completed it although I'm going to need a second playthrough as I missed one or two things. Believe me, I'm not sad about that. From the pixelated Canada to the Mr Slave Lemmiwinks portion it was a riot. Felt like so much to do.

My only reservation is I doubt they can make a sequel. They've created South park meticulously and referenced everything (except Scot in Canada. Where was he?). Where do you go from there? Maybe a few expansion packs?

#39 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11463 posts) -

@ DarthBilf

I've heard it god knows how many times. Still have no idea what the hell Liberals, Republicans are. Funny, Iven never heard these words outside the US.

#40 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

There's a few balance issues, and less content than I would have liked.

But it's still a lot of fun.

#41 Posted by LustForSoul (5860 posts) -

Get it on a sale.

#42 Posted by Big_Pecks (5266 posts) -

Short, shallow, and South Park. So the three s's of ssshit.

#43 Edited by WallofTruth (1574 posts) -

@ DarthBilf

I've heard it god knows how many times. Still have no idea what the hell Liberals, Republicans are. Funny, Iven never heard these words outside the US.

What are you? 12?

#44 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16710 posts) -

It's a shit game that's not funny.

I kid. Haven't played it and I don't watch the show so I don't have too much of an interest.

#45 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11463 posts) -

@ WallofTruth