Your favorite dead genres/sub-genres?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27923 posts) -

So, what is/are your favorite genres/sub-genres that are currently DEAD? Also explain your favorite games (or franchises in that category).

My choice is the sci-fi/futuristic racer. While other parts of the racing genre (Kart Racers, Simulation) are still alive and well, sci-fi/futuristic is pretty much gone. Nintendo hasn't published an F-Zero since GameCube/GBA and refuses to do so due to business reasons. Acclaim (Extreme-G publishers) is out of business. Lucasarts only put podracing in Star Wars Kinect instead of a third pod racing game (the first was on N64, Dreamcast, and PC while the second was PS2 exclusive), and Sony shut down their Liverpool studio (formerly Psygnosis), who developed the most popular Wipeout series.

#2 Posted by ArisShadows (22665 posts) -
Isometric RPGs like Baldurs Gates and Fallout 1/2
#3 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

Horror should count....

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

God games and Tycoon games.

#5 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3378 posts) -

3D platforming, thank god for Sly next year.

Survival horror too I guess.

#6 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

Well nintendoboy,there´s Nitronic Rush and the awesome upcoming Distance,so it´s still going for futuristic racers.

#7 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

Horror should count....

mccoyca112
The horror genre is doing extremely well,though almost exclusively on the PC these days.
#8 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

Tycoon games.

R4gn4r0k

Agreed. Those games can suck me in for hours!

I remember personally hijacking my friends laptop because it had Sim City 4 on it, and my personal favorites were always Roller Coaster Tycoon, and Sid Meier's SimGolf.

We have Tropico today, which is actually pretty good, but we could definitely use more!!!

I also vote for beat-em-ups. Personally I feel like the Batman games are beat-em-ups, and I'd love to see more games like it (yah yah I know hack n slash, but Batman feels much more raw like old arcade games). I wouldn't mind if they were 2D though since those are still awesome.

#9 Posted by Lulekani (2151 posts) -
A none-RPG Hack n' Slash or Racing game. Those are getting scarce.
#10 Posted by almasdeathchild (8922 posts) -
[QUOTE="mccoyca112"]

Horror should count....

MrYaotubo
The horror genre is doing extremely well,though almost exclusively on the PC these days.

Well there's your problem,it's only one thing.amnesia slender 8 pages penumbra cry of fear and white face are cool and all.but horror should be spread acrossed all platforms
#11 Posted by PAL360 (27259 posts) -

Point and click adventures (monkey island, beneath a steel sky...) beat em ups (street of rage 2, cadillac and dinossaurs...) and survival horror games (resident evil 1, 2, 3 and code veronica, alone in the dark...).

#12 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7616 posts) -

Front mission series srpg/strategy, not fme abomination. Turn based chrono trigger/final fantasy.

#13 Posted by freedomfreak (43040 posts) -

God gamesR4gn4r0k

Like Black and White?

#14 Posted by True_Chaos_UK (2570 posts) -

Garden simulatrors, I want another Viva Pinata god damn it.

Survival Horror.

#15 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Tycoon games.

Ly_the_Fairy

I also vote for beat-em-ups. Personally I feel like the Batman games are beat-em-ups, and I'd love to see more games like it (yah yah I know hack n slash, but Batman feels much more raw like old arcade games). I wouldn't mind if they were 2D though since those are still awesome.

In my opinion, there is a reason why beat em ups died.

They all get boring after a while... (except for BattleToads which is pure awesomeness from start to finish)

Also, point and click adventures evolved into interactive movies and survival horror games into action thrillers. (atleast as far as "AAA" games are concerned)

Anyway, I vote for the odd and forgotten genre of 3rd person shooter/strategy hybrids. (games like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Sacrifice, Evolva, ect.)

#16 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

God gamesfreedomfreak

Like Black and White?

Yeah black & white and Populous. It's never been a big genre but they have gone away for awhile. Molyneux is making a new god game again that got kickstarted but I'm sceptical because it's made for PC and touch devices. The game will be designed in a way to allow it to work on touchscreens.

#17 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
Role Playing Games.
#18 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

God gamesR4gn4r0k

Like Black and White?

Yeah black & white and Populous. It's never been a big genre but they have gone away for awhile. Molyneux is making a new god game again that got kickstarted but I'm sceptical because it's made for PC and touch devices. The game will be designed in a way to allow it to work on touchscreens.

A similar recent god game is From Dust.

I enjoyed the first B&W a lot but the second felt kinda average to me. (except in terms of graphics)

#19 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Tycoon games.

Ly_the_Fairy

I remember personally hijacking my friends laptop because it had Sim City 4 on it, and my personal favorites were always Roller Coaster Tycoon, and Sid Meier's SimGolf.

We have Tropico today, which is actually pretty good, but we could definitely use more!!!

tropic is alright. My favourite ones are Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Transport Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon.

A new Sim City is coming luckily. There is also a game coming from Introversion Software called Prison Tycoon which is really promising.

Rollercoast Tycoon is dead I think ,the last one was on 3DS and was absolutely awful. Dunno if there'll ever be another Transport or Railroad Tycoon:(

#20 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

A similar recent god game is From Dust.

I enjoyed the first B&W a lot but the second felt kinda average to me. (except in terms of graphics)

nameless12345

I played it on PC and it was awful. It was designed with a controller in mind and the keyboard and mouse controls were disasterous. That is why I'm sceptical about godus.

Yeah, apart from the graphics the second one wasn't much of an improvement.

#21 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Horror, Horror-RPG.

#22 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Tycoon games.

R4gn4r0k

tropic is alright. My favourite ones are Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Transport Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon.

A new Sim City is coming luckily. There is also a game coming from Introversion Software called Prison Tycoon which is really promising.

Rollercoast Tycoon is dead I think ,the last one was on 3DS and was absolutely awful. Dunno if there'll ever be another Transport or Railroad Tycoon:(

Tropico is just a relaxing game to play. I love the music, and the island scenery, but my problem with the series is it's pretty confusing in comparison to other games. Sometimes it feels like my economy is just doing absolutely wonderful, so I reward my island with something like a sports stadium, and all of a sudden my economy is tanking. The obvious choice seems to be to get rid of the stadium, but I do that, and my economy is still going down.

I'm going to pick up the series again once my backlog is done, and try to figure it all out. I can't motivate myself to really invest too much time into games atm with my backlog always making me feel guilty :P

I checked out that Introversion Software game. It's called Prison Architect, and it looks pretty cool, though not quite like your standard isometric simulation game. They've made some very interesting games in the past, so I'll have to keep my eye out for the release of this new game.

#23 Posted by hippiesanta (9987 posts) -

Horror, Horror-RPG.

crimsonman1245
Like Parasite eve?
#24 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

Horror, Horror-RPG.

hippiesanta

Like Parasite eve?

Well i was thinking Shadowhearts 1 but that is probably a better example lol.

Shadowhearts isnt really a horror, but had that kind of atmosphere, i loved it.

#25 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

good action/adventure type games.

Uncharted is the only good one I can think right now.

#26 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

good action/adventure type games.

Uncharted is the only good one I can think right now.

Zaibach

Isn't that a 3rd person cover-based shooter/interactive movie hybrid?

j/k... :P

#27 Posted by AdrianWerner (28215 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="mccoyca112"]

Horror should count....

almasdeathchild

Well there's your problem,it's only one thing.amnesia slender 8 pages penumbra cry of fear and white face are cool and all.but horror should be spread acrossed all platforms

If you have PSP get Corpse Party. You won't be dissapointed.

Anyway, to me..I honestly can't think of any..every single subgenre or genre I love has been making a return on PC, space sims, mech sims, tactical shooters, 4X, adventure, racing sims, flight sims etc...

#28 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
2d beat em up.
#29 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

God games

Shmups

Turn Based Dungeon Crawlers (think Wizardry)

Survival Horror games

#30 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
I'd call 'vehicular combat' a dead genre that had a few of my favorites in it. Twisted Metal 2 and Head-On are my 2 favorites, but several of the other TM games, along with both Vigilante 8 games (and the XBLA Vigilante Arcade) brought many hours of enjoyment - especially in co-op / split-screen deathmatches with friends and family. I didn't know there was a 'sci-futuristic' category of racing games. I know the ones listed are not typical, but I just call them all racing games. I do like the Wipeout games, Extreme-G / XG 2/ XG III games, F-Zeros, and also the Jet Moto games. I'd probably include San Francisco Rush: 2049 in there also. A stretch, but also enjoyable were Hydro Thunder (which I had on Sega Dreamcast) and the XBLA Hydro Thunder Hurricane.
#31 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

Tropico is just a relaxing game to play. I love the music, and the island scenery, but my problem with the series is it's pretty confusing in comparison to other games. Sometimes it feels like my economy is just doing absolutely wonderful, so I reward my island with something like a sports stadium, and all of a sudden my economy is tanking. The obvious choice seems to be to get rid of the stadium, but I do that, and my economy is still going down.

I'm going to pick up the series again once my backlog is done, and try to figure it all out. I can't motivate myself to really invest too much time into games atm with my backlog always making me feel guilty :P

I checked out that Introversion Software game. It's called Prison Architect, and it looks pretty cool, though not quite like your standard isometric simulation game. They've made some very interesting games in the past, so I'll have to keep my eye out for the release of this new game.

Ly_the_Fairy

I had the same problem in Tropico 3, that i was not really sure what to do. I might pick up Tropico 4 during the steam sales.

Oh yeah right, Prison Architect. I think I got used to seeing the Tycoon part in the name for Tycoon games:P

Have you played Anno ? That's another game like Tropico and Sim City

#32 Posted by IgGy621985 (4946 posts) -

Tycoons for PC, if we exclude city builders like SimCity.

I'm still hooked to RollerCoaster Tycoon 1.

#33 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
3d platformers (spyro/banjo/etc...)