Your 2014 GOTY Nominees(thus far)

#51 Posted by Flubbbs (3809 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@Flubbbs: can that even be considered?

why wouldnt it be?

#52 Posted by TheEroica (14674 posts) -

@Flubbbs: excuse my possible ignorance, but isn't it a remake of the original?

#53 Posted by Flubbbs (3809 posts) -

@TheEroica: yes it is.. i didnt even think about that

#54 Edited by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

Divinity OS for me. It should win GOTY but we all know a game like that can't win GOTY in mainstream media. Pretty sure the actually GOTY champ will be Smash Bros when it comes out.

#55 Posted by TheEroica (14674 posts) -

@Flubbbs: yeah that may be a dangerous precedent to set if game journalists starting doing that no matter how awesome the game is.

#56 Edited by Cloud_imperium (7411 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
  • Broken Sword 5
  • Broken Age
  • Divinity Original Sin .

But I know none of these will win GOTY on mainstream media but these are the games that I enjoyed most , this year so far . Didn't play Transistor and Child of Light yet . Soon ...

I like Broken Sword, but got very confused over the plot midway through Broken Sword 2. Is Broken Sword 5 worth playing if you have not played any of 3 or 4 ?

Yes , you can skip 3 and 4 . Broken Sword 5 is completely new storyline , like every other game in the series . 3 and 4 are also weakest in the series . This new one is on par with the first game .

#57 Posted by rabakill (884 posts) -

Divinity is average at best. I'm dying for a good game to really get immersed in and Divinity was a chore that I couldn't force myself through. Probably the worst year for videogames I can remember. Hopefully Dragon Age saves the year because I've got nothing that is fun right now.

#58 Edited by The_Last_Ride (75410 posts) -

so far

• Wolf Among Us
  • Watch Dogs

The rest haven't impressed me so far, i am sure that will change this fall

#59 Edited by kinectthedots (2991 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Watchdogs

I bought watchdogs played it for a lil while and just stopped. Haven't really had the desire to go back to it, it's kinda boring or maybe it's the story. It's a fine game on it's own but I don't know, I at least finished Infamous Second Son.

Honestly, kind of sad, MGS GZ was the best "gaming" I have had this year, yeah the demo but it was completely awesome. I don't even know if a game deserves a GOTY this year it's so dry. Maybe Sunset Overdrive will get it as it's the only thing that looks fresh and fun. I wouldn't be surprised if GOTY went to xbox one because of that.

Next year, OMG it's like ever other month there will be a GOTY caliber game coming out, this year is good to save up for the hurting my pockets will suffer in 2015.

#60 Posted by intotheminx (1147 posts) -

So far more people have mentioned Divinity more than any other game. That's interesting and I'm glad a lot of you agree with me. Also, I'm surprised at people saying Watchdogs. I never gave it a shot because I keep hearing it's mediocre.

#61 Posted by cainetao11 (20790 posts) -

@kinectthedots: I wasn't serious at all. I bought watchdogs, played a total of like 4 hours. I just couldn't get into it. The game played fine, looked fine, but I didn't care about getting further into the world. I traded it in towards destiny.

I am looking forward to sunset overdrive, and FH2. I'm getting my ps4 at some point when I get my financial aid checks so I think I'll get kzsf or infamous SS with it. Which would you recommend?

#62 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (7660 posts) -

Wolfenstein & Child of Light are probably the standouts for me.

#63 Edited by humanistpotato (555 posts) -

Pretty meh year for me, im waitin a sale for divinity and shovel knight, so far i liked wolfenstein but i would be sad if its going to be the best game of this year

#64 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7808 posts) -

Wow this just might be the worse year in gaming ever. What is going on?

#65 Posted by thehig1 (3611 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium: cool I'll check it out.

Two was a direct sequel to one wasn't it, still including George and Nicole, so having played the first game was kind of needed to fully understand the second.

However if 5 is completely new surroundings new story, new chareters ill certainly check it out

#66 Posted by David719 (1831 posts) -

I haven't played many games from 2014 as of yet but Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is one of the finest platformers I've ever played.

#67 Posted by Vatusus (5482 posts) -

As unpopular as it is I've got to give it to Watch Dogs. I havent played Dark Souls 2 yet but if I had It would be it, I'm sure of it. Out of the 2014 games I played (wich werent many) Watch Dogs felt like the most complete experience

#68 Posted by heguain (709 posts) -

Divinity original sin
Wolf among us
The walking dead S2

#69 Posted by littlestreakier (2949 posts) -

TLOU Remastered because I want to see the chaos it'll cause in SW.

#70 Posted by hiphops_savior (8101 posts) -
  • Divinity: Original Sins
  • Bravely Default
  • Titanfall
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Shovel Knight
#71 Posted by yokofox33 (30524 posts) -

Shovel Knight is pretty darn amazing. Glad to see other people enjoyed it as well.

#73 Edited by AzatiS (8600 posts) -

Definitly divinity and child of light , nothing else.

@Pikminmaniac said:

The only GOTY quality game I've played from this year so far is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and I'm pretty sure it will snatch the title from me in the end. Very rarely is there a game made with this much care and talent.

Then you need to play more games and on different genres than usual. That last statement made me crack a bit ...

#74 Edited by manny280 (1990 posts) -

Wolfenstein: TNO, Divinity and The Wolf Among Us(if it counts), nothing else I've played this year is worthy enough to be considered. OP I see that you've mentioned Child of Light as being in the running, which is odd because it was a terrible game. The only good thing about Child of Light was the art style. The writing and storytelling was very trite, everything was incredibly streamlined for an "RPG", there was no challenge, no interesting bosses, the music became gratingly repetitive and the campaign was barely longer than the average shooter.

#75 Edited by jg4xchamp (51990 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

Shovel Knight is pretty darn amazing. Glad to see other people enjoyed it as well.

We must hijack this thread with love of SHovel Knight's music yoko. Be my bro

Loading Video...

#76 Posted by yokofox33 (30524 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: Game on. Let's do this.

Loading Video...

#77 Posted by jg4xchamp (51990 posts) -
Loading Video...

#78 Posted by yokofox33 (30524 posts) -
Loading Video...

#79 Edited by TheEroica (14674 posts) -

@happyduds77: mmm psychonauts was amazing. Still is. I played it back in the day after a surgery on my knee... the doc gave me some wacky pain meds which oddly made the game even better.

#80 Posted by jg4xchamp (51990 posts) -
Loading Video...

We will not let this die yoko, especially when Eroica just recently joined the indie band wagon and hasn't played it yet. Yuck!, amirite?

#81 Posted by yokofox33 (30524 posts) -

Yeah bro! Play the game bro! It's shovel-tastic!

Loading Video...

#82 Edited by sixringz1 (1116 posts) -

Can you vote for nothing? At least thus far. This has been the worst yr in gaming I can remember in a long time. I know it's a new console generation and that usually means very few top notch titles in the first yr, But normally you can get one or two AAA's. Just haven't seen that yet

#83 Edited by Cloud_imperium (7411 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@Cloud_imperium: cool I'll check it out.

Two was a direct sequel to one wasn't it, still including George and Nicole, so having played the first game was kind of needed to fully understand the second.

However if 5 is completely new surroundings new story, new chareters ill certainly check it out

Characters are the same . You still play as George and Nico , and there are characters from first two games as well like Hector Lane but plot has nothing to do with previous games .

#84 Posted by navyguy21 (13122 posts) -

Original Sin, and MAYBE SouthPark?

Everything else has been pretty average.

#85 Posted by glez13 (9093 posts) -

Only Dark Souls 2, Mario Kart 8 and Divinity seem to be up there so far. Some other already released may enter because I don't see many of the upcoming releases being that good.

#86 Edited by sailor232 (5274 posts) -

Wolf Among Us, Mario Kart 8, Titanfall.

#87 Posted by OhSnapitz (18841 posts) -

I don't have one as of today.. sad really.

#88 Posted by DarthRamms (1022 posts) -

Divinity Original Sin

#89 Posted by bbkkristian (14968 posts) -

Mario Kart 8 as of now, Bravely Default 2nd

Smash will be king of the year though.

#90 Edited by kozzy1234 (35422 posts) -

Divinity Original Sin hands down, nothing else has come close. Hopefully Wasteland 2 and pillars Of Eternity final versions kick but to.

Banished and Tesla Effect I enjoyed a ton to.

#91 Posted by santoron (8423 posts) -

While I've enjoyed a number of this year's releases I don't think any have a shot at GotY.

Stick of Truth is probably my nominee so far, but I have a feeling it won't make my top 3 by year's end.

#92 Edited by silversix_ (16890 posts) -

Dark Souls 2

Divinity: OS

Lots of Divinity on this thread heh

Dark Souls 2 is winning because im a Souls whore.

#93 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. Xenonauts
3. The Blackwell Epiphany
4. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
5. Freedom Planet
6. Shovel Knight
7. Broken Age

That´s all I´ve played this year for 2014 releases.

#94 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

Only played four games released in 2014 so it´s like this so far:

1- Divinity OS
2- Shadowrun Dragonfall
3- Titanfall
4- Broken Sword 5

#95 Posted by illmatic87 (15724 posts) -

Shovel Knight is the wrong game to spam music links when Transistor released this year.

#96 Posted by charizard1605 (63079 posts) -

Mario Kart 8, without a doubt. Nintendo nailed the design on this one.

#97 Edited by blamix99 (2586 posts) -

Dark Souls 2

Mario Kart 8

South Park: A Stick of Truth

still need to play DK tropical Freeze

#98 Edited by Pikminmaniac (9590 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

Dark Souls 2

Mario Kart 8

South Park: A Stick of Truth

still need to play DK tropical Freeze

You absolutely do. 'Tis an unmatched platforming masterpiece IMHO. It does everything so perfectly and the game works on every single level it can. It is a glowing example of expert design.

It's such a grand time to be a platformer fanatic thanks to Nintendo, Rayman, and the indie scene.

#99 Edited by jg4xchamp (51990 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

Shovel Knight is the wrong game to spam music links when Transistor released this year.

Shovel Knight has terrificer music. Get mad kid.

#100 Posted by Bigboi500 (31819 posts) -

Mario Kart 8

Shovel Knight

Bravely Default

Child of Light

Not been a stellar year so far.