You think we will ever see an entire new gaming genre? Or just hybrids?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Trinitarian (1304 posts) -

With the next gen on the horizon, do you think we will see a completely new genre defining game with the supposed new IPs we can expect or just simply hybrids? By genres i'm referring to the good O' FPS, TPS, RTS, RPGs, ect. By hybrids i'm talking about games like Borderlands 2 that combined RPG with the FPS. Thus, when i say a new genre i'm talking about something that wouldn't be classified under any genre we know of today. Could such a thing even exist? IDK, you tell me.

#2 Posted by Yangire (8795 posts) -

Skylanders clone will be a genre.

#3 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

dunno. i suppose even something like a seahorse simulator would still be considered a sim.

#4 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Just hybrids, I'd say, combinations of already existing genres...

I really have no idea what new and completely fresh could just pop out of nowhere...

#5 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

I think there is room for something entirely new.

#6 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

psymon100

there's room but what could it be?

#7 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

CaseyWegner

Absolutely no idea. What about a game where you play as an ant and have to build an ant colony?

Oh wait ...

[spoiler]

SimAnt_Coverart.png

[/spoiler]

#8 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

we might be in a "simpsons did it" situation.

#9 Posted by moistsandwich (0 posts) -

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

CaseyWegner

If we knew, then we'd be working in the industry I suspect. I'm sure there is something new possible, but like everyone else I don't know what it will be.

#10 Posted by jsmoke03 (12990 posts) -

with motion gaming, i guess anything is possible. don't think its going to be any fun however

#11 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I expected this from Nintendo.

So far, they let me down...

#12 Posted by gettingpatches (210 posts) -

I'm gonna say that minecraft kickstarted a new genre of sorts, which although has been around before has never reached as many people or had as much success of minecraft.

#13 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I'm gonna say that minecraft kickstarted a new genre of sorts, which although has been around before has never reached as many people or had as much success of minecraft.

gettingpatches

Yeah, and Portal and Mirror's Edge could count too. ("first-person puzzle/platformer")

#14 Posted by Terrencec06 (3573 posts) -

Media Molecule was the last developer to make something new. (LittleBigPlanet) Play, Create, Share was new for me at least. I look for them to come out with something next gen.

#15 Posted by GarGx1 (2871 posts) -

I great idea for a new game genre, it's.....nah no chance am I telling you, you'll just steal it and sell it to EA :P