You think Phil could really turn Rare around ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-19-microsoft-pledges-to-support-rare?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Im willing to give him a chance even thought the initial response I am seeing is people want to let Rare die. Something does seem different with Phil Spencer and even though he isnt doing anything he should not already be doing it just makes to much sense to use Viva pinata , Banjo Kazooie, Conker and Perfect Dark . What does SW think Phil could SW turn Rare around ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

All the talent has left Rare by now. What is left to turn around, exactly ?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Read the article you posted again. It has nothing to do with Phil Spencer.

"In an interview with Eurogamer, Microsoft Studios Europe boss Phil Harrison insisted Rare still had the support of its owner."

It's an interview featuring Phil Harrison. The answer is a resounding no after reading the article as Harrison is a mouthpiece of PR and RARE has internally been converted from top to bottom as a Kinect Developer.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheRealBigRich

Oh ok my bad I thought Phil was the head of gaming division so if its not ultimately up to him then I see how Harrison would have to make that decision. The thing about people leaving is they could be rehired or people that know how to make games can come in a make games that people want to play. It would seem Rare was made a kinect developer under Don so i cant see why it cant change . People are really suspicious of anything I guess

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

At this point we have no idea what Rare is capable of. Microsoft can say all they want about Rare not being forced to make Kinect titles, but that is just hard to believe.

The only plus I see is the new Sports title flopped hard. Maybe they will be allowed to actually make video games again. Even if they do, you are talking about a company that has had a lot of internal change since the N64 days. I am sure some of the same people are there, but a lot of the people who made games have also left.

Rare would have to make a game and then we would have to see where it goes. I do not see how you can really make a good Kinect title. Its a gimmick when utilized as the only control method. I am not sure what they would be capable of nowadays.

I will say this. If Microsoft had done things differently and Rare was the same developer they were during the N64 days, I would have a Xbox One in my living room.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

A new Conker as a masterful graphics & game-play masterpiece on The One would cure all their ills - Make it happen MS !!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Rare is not the same Rare anymore, just like Blizzard is not the same Blizzard... most of the "Talent" left long ago.

That and kids furry platformers are not popular anymore... kids want things like Minecraft these days.... RARE's day is done... move on.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

no

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Rare don't have a chance because the only thing you have on Rare is the memory of great idea's and great games, anyone who was actually at Rare in their heyday have left, get over it, Rare have pretty much gone,look for something else, it cannot be saved.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

How many developers are left from the pre-Microsoft Rare?

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

The whole thing with Conker at E3 was a big **** you. People lost their shit when they seen Conker lol. They should take a hint.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheRealBigRich

People are just speculating at this point about who is and who isn't left at rare. They could be right but I don't know. Maybe don't make a big budget game at first just a indie or small budget game to start off that wouldn't be bad

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

@TheRealBigRich said:

People are just speculating at this point about who is and who isn't left at rare. They could be right but I don't know. Maybe don't make a big budget game at first just a indie or small budget game to start off that wouldn't be bad

Their games must have credits?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Yes he could.... By making Kinect included with Everysingle Xbox again.... Give me the Kinect Adventures 2 baby ! Thats whats hot right now !

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

Quite simply no.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

I doubt they will revive their glory days. It's a shame because I really liked perfect dark.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

kameo was a 360 launch title and it looked more interesting than all the trashy exclusives ms has for the xbone. They should allow rare to make a part 2 of that game.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@handssss said:

no

Yeah I felt that

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Rare as you remember them died a long time ago. The name remains just to piss old timers off.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Theres nothing to turn out. MS already killed and buried Rare many years ago. Fuckers...

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@TheRealBigRich said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-19-microsoft-pledges-to-support-rare?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Im willing to give him a chance even thought the initial response I am seeing is people want to let Rare die. Something does seem different with Phil Spencer and even though he isnt doing anything he should not already be doing it just makes to much sense to use Viva pinata , Banjo Kazooie, Conker and Perfect Dark . What does SW think Phil could SW turn Rare around ?

Absolutely, although its not Phil but Rare that will do the work. They are working on at least two games right now, and will obviously be well financed. I don't know if the games will be good or not, but they have a number of franchises they can reboot, or just create a new IP. Rare has a great opportunity to show what they can do in 2015. I'd kill for a new Conker or Perfect Dark or a new RPG. Its far to early to make predictions until a game is announced and shown. I', excited for them though. They are probably so damn happy to not be developing Kinect games anymore.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#23 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

They fired the head guys over at rare.

Step one complete

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

All the talent has left Rare by now. What is left to turn around, exactly ?

This. A million times this.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@Boddicker: Talent can always be rehired and there is always new talent on the market. If MS decides to give Rare a fair chance there's no reason why Rare wouldn't be able to make a good game.

MS killed the Rare everyone loved, this is true but I still think they have some good IPs they can use to stir interest in the gaming community while "reinventing" themeselves