You getting tired of all the Michael Bay in games these days ?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by beganoo (1638 posts) -

I mean at first it was pretty cool, The original  MW , Uncharted 2, god of war ect ect. You know, sh*t goes down... the main charcter is falling down a tall mountain, his hitting every singel rock on the way down, explosions are happening everywhere, bullets  are flying left in right , planes are crashing near and pretty much on top of you as you fall down.There is fire, dust and shrapnels all over the place. While all of this is happening you are killing hundreds of eanmies with bazuka and/or a sword and/or laser beams from your eyes or whatever and in the background the apocalypse  is well on its way.

So yeah at 1st It was kinda fun but I was playing Dead Space 3 today and I was like: just let me play already ffs.I've had enough of this. resident evil did it, Crysis did it, every modern military shooter does it its seems the new tomb raider will do it and the list goes on and one on.Every game needs to look like a hollywood popcorn blockbuster movie for some reason and what pi*ses me off the most is franchises that have never been like that are going this route.

Whats with all the Michael Bay love.Is this the sole reason games are selling thse dasy ?? Blow sh*t up ?

Do you guys really enjoy all of this ? Am I the only guy that is getting tired the cinematic bullsh*t in games.I'm ok with long cinematics if the story is good but all this "sh*t goes down" stuff need to take a step back , damn. It  might work for some games, yes, but too much is to much.

What do you think ?

jiz.

#2 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
Only a handful of franchises should do this..the ones which have always done this (cod/uncharted etc..) The rest shouldnt try and copy them..they just fail miserably
#3 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
Yeah, and what's up with airplane food?
#4 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -
Um..........Who is Michael Bay?
#5 Posted by beganoo (1638 posts) -

Yeah, and what's up with airplane food?Cherokee_Jack

It fell down on Lara croft along with the plane.

#6 Posted by CleanPlayer (9779 posts) -
I'm really getting tired of the lack of Megan Fox fixing cars in games these days
#7 Posted by funsohng (27563 posts) -
Um..........Who is Michael Bay?AmazonTreeBoa
Only human on the planet known to have sex with sexplosions.
#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (29177 posts) -

Yah broseph, they're lame.

#9 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -
I'm really getting tired of the lack of Megan Fox fixing cars in games these daysCleanPlayer
God no. At least pick a pretty girl. Not one that only looks good with make-up caked on and is butt ass ugly without it.
#10 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18334 posts) -
If you don't want explosions don't play action games?
#11 Posted by 15strong (2806 posts) -

People complain about them, but then whine when games like AC3 are too "slow".

#12 Posted by a55a55inx (4136 posts) -
Those "near-death-moments" in video games? Yeah, some games need to tone it down...especially the CoD games. Don't get me wrong, they can be exciting and add to the immersion of a game, but when they occur on every level it's no longer exciting; it actually becomes predictable and boring. There needs to be more balance between action and slow-paced storytelling... when games contain too much of either, it becomes bland.
#13 Posted by Jebus213 (8718 posts) -
[QUOTE="campzor"]Only a handful of franchises should do this..the ones which have always done this (cod/uncharted etc..) The rest shouldnt try and copy them..they just fail miserably

But they are expanding teh audience!
#14 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

I don't have a problem with them, I just have an issue with the amount of them in any one game. UC3 was an example of that, the game is literally unplayable for me because every few minutes I am losing control.

#15 Posted by Neon_Noir (1503 posts) -
"An adrenaline fueled thrill ride that will stay with you for years to come" - Gamespot, 10/10, Game of the Year nominee
#16 Posted by Gue1 (9439 posts) -

I understand what you mean but Bay's a bad example. He doesn't give a crap about story-telling, Uncharted has more exposition than Transformers. I think Bay would make better video games than movies.  :lol:

#17 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

never heard of him?

#18 Posted by TheEroica (13249 posts) -

Yep...

#19 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

I mean at first it was pretty cool, The original  MW , Uncharted 2

beganoo

Indeed. Even though these games are cinematic, their campaigns are very well made. 

Now it's all dynamic camera pan this, quick-time event that; it's garbage. (Resident Evil 6, Tomb Raider...)

And in AC3's case every action is context sensitive; the world is completely non-interactive. What this means is you're not the guy who performs all the actions, all you do is press a button once you trigger the prompt for it. The game runs on auto-pilot. There is no timing or skill involved in combat or when platforming.

Also, Michael Bay presents E3 2012

#20 Posted by aroxx_ab (9221 posts) -

15strong

lol true :lol:

#21 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -
#22 Posted by KodiakKoolaid (441 posts) -
Constant Michael Bay moments get old quick (I'm looking at you COD), games that build up the atmosphere and tension and then explode into action get my vote.
#23 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8288 posts) -
This guy from Gearbox takes the cake:  And by "badass" they mean "hack" :D
#24 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Sure. But I enjoy it too, it's just that the formula is a whole lot more transparent now, so go figure.
#25 Posted by LustForSoul (5840 posts) -
Not getting sick of this, as long as there's good gameplay right?
#26 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Such innocence.

#27 Posted by mems_1224 (46278 posts) -
What would you rather developers do with action games and fps games? If you don't like it then dont play those games. There are hundreds of games released every year. If you can't find something you like then you should probably find a new hobby.
#28 Posted by 001011000101101 (3949 posts) -
The Mass Effect games are amazing at striking a balance between crazy actions scenes and atmosphere and exploration. Perfect games.
#29 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3164 posts) -
Yet when a game decides to take a bit of time and pace itself, gamers are quick to call it boring.
#31 Posted by 001011000101101 (3949 posts) -

Yet when a game decides to take a bit of time and pace itself, gamers are quick to call it boring.drinkerofjuice

That's true.

With Assassin's Creed 3: Waaaah! A two hour long intro is too much! Waaaah!!!

With Max Payne 3: Waaaah! Too many cutscenes and not enough shooting! Boring! Waaaah!!!

#32 Posted by funsohng (27563 posts) -
The Mass Effect games are amazing at striking a balance between crazy actions scenes and atmosphere and space sex. Perfect games.001011000101101
fixed.
#33 Posted by funsohng (27563 posts) -

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]Yet when a game decides to take a bit of time and pace itself, gamers are quick to call it boring.001011000101101

That's true.

With Max Payne 3: Waaaah! Too many cutscenes and not enough shooting! Boring! Waaaah!!!

I wouldn't call overuse of cutscenes a correct way of pacing a game. I mean, it's a game. You gotta f*cking play it be a "game", you know.
#34 Posted by 001011000101101 (3949 posts) -
[QUOTE="001011000101101"]

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]Yet when a game decides to take a bit of time and pace itself, gamers are quick to call it boring.funsohng

That's true.

I wouldn't call overuse of cutscenes a correct way of pacing a game. I mean, it's a game. You gotta f*cking play it be a "game", you know.

Lots of gameplay in Max Payne 3. Lots of gameplay AND cutscenes.
#35 Posted by funsohng (27563 posts) -
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="001011000101101"]

That's true.

When that gameplay is constantly interrupted by cutscenes, that is the very definition of "poor pacing". Why do I need a f*cking cutscene of running or shooting when I can do that in the goddamn game.
#36 Posted by 001011000101101 (3949 posts) -
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="001011000101101"][QUOTE="funsohng"] I wouldn't call overuse of cutscenes a correct way of pacing a game. I mean, it's a game. You gotta f*cking play it be a "game", you know.

When that gameplay is constantly interrupted by cutscenes, that is the very definition of "poor pacing". Why do I need a f*cking cutscene of running or shooting when I can do that in the goddamn game.

Because cut scenes are cooler. Also, lol at all the swearing. What's you deal?
#37 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Because cut scenes are cooler. Also, lol at all the swearing. What's you deal?001011000101101

This just in, cutscenes are cooler than actual gameplay.

#38 Posted by 001011000101101 (3949 posts) -

[QUOTE="001011000101101"]Because cut scenes are cooler. Also, lol at all the swearing. What's you deal?Sagem28

This just in, cutscenes are cooler than actual gameplay.

To be a bit more specific. I'd rather have a cool cutscene with the main character going though a door and some dialogue and sweet camera angles, than just some lame 'open door' animation.
#39 Posted by Sushiglutton (5214 posts) -
It can be fun in some genres, but when you try to squeeze it into horror, or stealth games it just doesn't work.
#40 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

I understand what you mean but Bay's a bad example. He doesn't give a crap about story-telling, Uncharted has more exposition than Transformers. I think Bay would make better video games than movies.  :lol:

Gue1
That's sad too, because Uncharted doesn't exactly have much depth to work with itself.
#41 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

When that gameplay is constantly interrupted by cutscenes, that is the very definition of "poor pacing". Why do I need a f*cking cutscene of running or shooting when I can do that in the goddamn game.funsohng
Definitely. I absolutely hate it when a game keep taking control away from me just to show something "awesome" or "cool". It's really overused sometimes. Poor pacing in general can break a game for me easily.

#42 Posted by Neon_Noir (1503 posts) -
Also, lol at all the swearing. What's you deal?001011000101101
Are you a.. nun?
#43 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6902 posts) -
I LOVE huge elaborate set pieces in games, as long as they are interactive. Long cutscenes with big explosions just don't do it for me anymore.
#44 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

It's like people forget Michael Bay does have some good movies under his resume as well. The first and third Transformers movies were alright. The Rock and The Island were great. Bad Boys 2 was pretty good as well. Pearl Harbor and Transformers 2 are the only big duds he has made I can think of.

#45 Posted by a55a55inx (4136 posts) -
What would you rather developers do with action games and fps games? If you don't like it then dont play those games. There are hundreds of games released every year. If you can't find something you like then you should probably find a new hobby. mems_1224
The problem is that more and more developers are incorporating unnecessary amounts of "quicktime-events" or "in-game cutscenes" to their games; so much so that many games may feel a bit monotonous. When something like this is overused it no longer feels exciting when you witness it again.
#46 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

O luvi thim.

-------

((I love them.))

#47 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]Yet when a game decides to take a bit of time and pace itself, gamers are quick to call it boring.001011000101101

That's true.

AC3 isn't a very relevant example. The game pretty much has an 8 hour tutorial.

#48 Posted by XVision84 (13626 posts) -

Only a handful of franchises should do this..the ones which have always done this (cod/uncharted etc..) The rest shouldnt try and copy them..they just fail miserablycampzor

Pretty much this.

Even CoD is getting way too Michael Bay. It's getting so dull, there's an explosion every 5 minutes man. It's like eating candy. The first couple taste great, sure, but after a while it just gets sickening. 

#49 Posted by FireSpirit117 (1981 posts) -

15strong
"Bipolar" and "gamer" seem to go hand in hand these days.
#50 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

I've never been a fan of it to begin with.

There's a fine line between games, and movies that too often gets crossed. The problem is that when I go to play a game I'm looking for a different experience from when I go to watch a movie. I'm looking for a different level of interactivity that can't be found elsewhere, and I love it when no two playthroughs of a game are identical.

But just because a game is filled with action, and explosions does not make it a Michael Bay experience. For example Gears of War is action-heavy, but I would not label it as a Michael Bay experience. Your interaction is not stripped away at any portions of the game, nor is your vision focused towards set pieces. On the flip side a game like Uncharted, which looks almost identical gameplay-wise (at times), does do that, and it bugs me to no end..

But luckily I'm aware that there are literally hundreds of games released in a single year, so it's not like I'm overly disappointed when a new game coming out is like that. It takes about two seconds to find a different game to occupy my time with, and enjoy.