You can play Xbox 360 games on your PC?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_8_integrate_xbox_live_support http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-feature-focus-xbox-live-games-app-preview-142897 1 is over a year old, but the other is a consumer preview from last month. Didn't see anybody talk about this. Does make you think that you might be able to play 720 games on your PC, since 360 games seem likely. In all honesty, if I didn't need to start up my Xbox to download, I may have just considered selling it and using the PC instead if this is what it sounds like.
#2 Posted by Raymundo_Manuel (4641 posts) -

XBL apps =/= Playing Xbox games

Windows Phone 7 also has an XBL app, and it can't play Forza 4

MS just wants to integrate all their products through XBL

#3 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -

Raymundo_Manuel
Try reading the entire articles. And a windows phone couldn't play forza even if MS wanted it to.
#4 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
it'd be awesome if you could
#5 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -
it'd be awesome if you couldrilpas
It would also make the 360 a worthless brick.....It is already, so maybe more of a worthless brick.
#6 Posted by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

Most of them end up on PC sooner or later, so I wouldn't worry about that.

#7 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -

KiZZo1
As ports, the discs won't work on PC legally.
#8 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

I believe they mean XBLA titles.

They're launching Windows 8 with Ms. 'Spolsion Man, Toy Soldiers etc.

#9 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -

balfe1990
The interesting part is the article states you can play content you buy on XBL across all platforms, and you can buy full Xbox 360 games on live and the second article has a guy doing just that. He wasn't clear where he was installing it however.
#10 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28357 posts) -

[QUOTE="Raymundo_Manuel"]

DarkOfKnight

Try reading the entire articles. And a windows phone couldn't play forza even if MS wanted it to.

I'm pretty sure he read teh entire article just like I just did and nothing is confirmed about 360 games being playable on pc.

edit: infact if you look at the picture it says you can use this item on the first 360 you download it

#11 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

DarkOfKnight

The interesting part is the article states you can play content you buy on XBL across all platforms, and you can buy full Xbox 360 games on live and the second article has a guy doing just that. He wasn't clear where he was installing it however.

You have to remember these are mock ups. I doubt Microsoft would launch the entire Xbox library on Windows 8. It would pretty much render the x360 obsolete in most cases.

#12 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkOfKnight"][QUOTE="balfe1990"]

balfe1990

You have to remember these are mock ups. I doubt Microsoft would launch the entire Xbox library on Windows 8. It would pretty much render the x360 obsolete in most cases.

Never know fully until MS says something, but you can get the consumer preview now if you want it.
#13 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

XBox Live is not the same as the games on XBLA on xbox

It is the service they share, the games would have to work with keyboard and that is impossible, since would have to re-write the code and engine

Windows 7 Phone has XBLA and yet i cant play Witcher 2 and Gears 3 on it

#14 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

It is the service they share, the games would have to work with keyboard and that is impossible, since would have to re-write the code and engine

loosingENDS

Once again you show your complete ignorance when it comes to games development.

#15 Posted by LovePotionNo9 (4751 posts) -
I would be fine if it was just XBLA games, but those bastards need to put Lost Odyssey on PC.
#16 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

tenaka2

Ehm, can you be more specific ?

But wait, you are the guy that speak of 360 and its games without ever seen them, right ?

So, since you seem so knowledgable about programming, can you enlighten us how games made for pad can be played with keyboard/mouse wihtout a patch ?

#17 Posted by Nohtnym (1552 posts) -

Online gaming fee on pc incoming? Want to play mw4 online? Sorry, we need you to pay us first so this game can use your internet and pc. Want to play BF4 online? Sorry, we need you to pay us first so you can connect to EA servers.

XBL is good service, but please we pay for our internet and games not microsoft.

#18 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Yes, you are a moron.

#19 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

Yes, you are a moron.

So, you are just trolling, i knew you have no idea about programming

#20 Posted by LovePotionNo9 (4751 posts) -
Does a VCR count? My tape's swelling.
#21 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Yes, you are a moron.

Well lets get your little mind at work. You say that games designed for console need to be re-written to work with a keyboard.

Now have a think, is this actually true.

#22 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Yes, you are a moron.

tenaka2

Well lets get your little mind at work. You say that games designed for console need to be re-written to work with a keyboard.

Obviously it is, if you dont re-program the controls for keyboard/mouse, how are the games going to play exactly ?

And i wont even go to 3-4 player games, do i have to ?

If you knew anythng about programing, you would know that there is no magic way to play a pad game with keyboard, you need a patch to either map the keys or integrade it in the code, with specific to keyboard/mouse references

Have a look at XNA and its samples, it will all become clear

#23 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Obviously it is, if you dont re-program the controls for keyboard/mouse, how are the games going to play exactly ?

the same lol....input method is all linked to a binary code and im pretty sure all inputs are read via systems like Ascii on the computer where a binary number is assigned to an input lol.All actions are linked to a code the computer understands and that determines what happens.

Pretty sure even the simple console controller will use a simplified system like this.

#24 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Time will tell. Some 360 games are already comming to the PC (such as Alan Wake). And then there's the emulation scene (altho emulating the 360 would be quite a heavy task).

#25 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

razgriz_101

the same lol....input method is all linked to a binary code and im pretty sure all inputs are read via systems like Ascii on the computer where a binary number is assigned to an input lol.All actions are linked to a code the computer understands and that determines what happens.

Pretty sure even the simple console controller will use a simplified system like this.

You have no idea what you are talking about, so lets leave it there

On XNA i am programming with, you have to define the exact way things control with a pad and a keyboard and assign #IF statements to separate based on platform

It is not at all unified or anything

As i said, have a look at some XNA code first and stop assuming redicoulous stuff

Only some basic functions can be grouped under one action

I will give a very simple example, wiht pad you switch run/walk by the stick pressure, with keyboard you have to insert a shift based run to have the same effect (without the analog anyway) and could not be possible just by the standard move around code

I am sure most games could easilly be patched for keyboard/mouse, but they would need a patch and testing to work properly

#26 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

KiZZo1

That was true for the first Xbox. They didn't port Gears 2 & 3, Halo 3 & Reach and any Forza games to the PC yet. And Fable 3 is mediocre anyway.

Altho the list of mentionworthy 360 exclusives isn't exactly sky-high tbh.

#27 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

On XNA i am programming with, you have to define the exact way things control with a pad and a keyboard and assign #IF statements to separate based on platform

As i said, have a look at some XNA code first and stop assuming redicoulous stuff

controller input and keyboard inputs at the core functionality will share a similar Ascii like setup for input, thats what i was getting at dumbass.Port over the baasic simplified version for the 360 emulators and bam full keyboard functionality.

#28 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

controller input and keyboard inputs at the core functionality will share a similar Ascii like setup for input, thats what i was getting at dumbass.Port over the baasic simplified version for the 360 emulators and bam full keyboard functionality.

Emulator is not much different from a patch

Well, i agree there, if they make a universal 360 pad emulator on keyboard, that actually works well on all games (near impossible), then yes

But wont happen, because games would control like crap with something as unified as that or require user input to tweak

Which both are unacceptable for commercial purposes

#29 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Well, i agree there, if they make a universal 360 pad emulator on keyboard, that actually works well on all games (near impossible), then yes

But wont happen, because games would control like crap with something as unified as that or require user input to tweak

An emulator is a different program entirely, and emulators have been used for years and years.

Without any of those games being re-written... so yes you wrong as usual.

#30 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

tenaka2

An emulator is a different program entirely, and emulators have been used for years and years.

Generally games played with emulators have garbage controls if not patched for every different game or tweaked

These things dont usually happen commecrially, MS will just not release a patch for every 360 game to be playable with keyboard properly and not like crap

So, no, i am not wrong, games will not play with keybaord /mouse by default

Unless you have some actual proof for your fantasies

#31 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Generally games played with emulators have garbage controls if not patched for every different game or tweaked

These things dont usually happen commecrially, MS will just not release a patch for every 360 game to be playable with keyboard properly and not like crap

Yes you are wrong, you said games had to be re-written for keyboard and mouse, this is clearly NOT the case as can be seen by the fact that emulators have been used for years.

So yes your wrong as usual and clearly know nothing about game development.

#32 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

Yes you are wrong, you said games had to be re-written for keyboard and mouse, this is clearly NOT the case as can be seen by the fact that emulators have been used for years.

So yes your wrong as usual and clearly no nothing about game development.

But you see, emulators are not commercial products and require a huge ammount of tweaking to work right on each game

To make the games commecrially available for KB+Mouse you have to re-write each game properly, so it does not play like crap

You dont expect MS to give you a generic emulator and a 10 page menu of variable tweaking to get it right for each game, do you ?

We are talking specific things, not your fantasies

#33 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

But you see, emulators are not commercial products and require a huge ammount of tweaking to work right on each game

To make the games commecrially available for KB+Mouse you have to re-write each game properly, so it does not play like crap

But you see you said that all games need to be re-written to work with keyboard.

Obviously this is completely wrong. So again you are wrong, just get over it. You must be used to being wrong by now.

Remember when you said that Dark Souls would never go to PC? You were wrong then also.

#34 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

But you see you said that all games need to be re-written to work with keyboard.

Obviously this is completely wrong. So again you are wrong, just get over it. You must be used to being wrong by now.

Remember when you said that Dark Souls would never go to PC? You were wrong then also.

But you see we were not talking in general, but about MS brining 360 games to PC

Obvisouly in this context what i said is 100% correct

#35 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

loosingENDS

But you see we were not talking in general, but about MS brining 360 games to PC

No your still wrong, in any context. Here is what you said. Statign that the engine would need to be re-written shows a deep level of ignorance with regards games development. Of which you clearly know nothing.

loosingENDS

#36 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

No your still wrong, in any context. Here is what you said. Statign that the engine would need to be re-written shows a deep level of ignorance with regards games development. Of which you clearly know nothing.

loosingENDS

Sure, that is what i said and that is how it can only be done, each game must be re-written to work properly to come to PC

MS will not give you a broken game and a tweak page like emulators do, you seem to know nothing about quality control in the industry

#37 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

Sure, that is what i said and that is how it can only be done, each game must be re-written to work properly to come to PC

MS will not give you a broken game and a tweak page like emulators do, you seem to know nothing about quality control in the industry

loosingENDS

My name is already in the credits of a number of games on both console and PC.

You have proved that you know nothing about games development, congrats.

#38 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

tenaka2

And what exactly did you do in those games ?

I bet it was not the controls though, that is for sure

The difference is that i have been working on game controls for 2.5 years on my game and i am not just some guy in the credits, but the maker of the actual thing

To make a game control right, you need to write the controls for the specific system, if not will get a so-so semi working version, which is possible, but unacceptable for commercial use and for me as a developer

For you that you only make the cradits, maybe it is though, i mean you do play games with a non analog keyboard, which is already a huge compromise in control quality

#39 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

The difference is that i have been working on game controls for 2.5 years on my game and i am not just some guy in the credits, but the maker of the actual thing

To make a game control right, you need to write the controls for the specific system, if not will get a so-so semi working version, which is possible, but unacceptable for commercial use and for me as a developer

For you that you only make the cradits, maybe it is though, i mean you do play games with a non analog keyboard, which is already a huge compromise in control quality

You posted a youtube vid of your game before and it is total and complete rubbish. Wasn't it the thing with all the unicorns running about? Could you post the link again?

#40 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

You posted a youtube vid of your game before and it is total and complete rubbish. Wasn't it the thing with all the unicorns running about? Could you post the link again?

I need to see this.

#41 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

That was the initial concept video, the game has been totally changed since of course

I made this video years back, you do realise that games are not in their final form the first few weeks of development

#42 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

That was the initial concept video, the game has been totally changed since of course

I made this video years back, you do realise that games are not in their final form the first few weeks of development

link us the video hotshot, so we know your not speaking out your ass.

the top of the forums do say back it up with facts if you want to be a good system warrior.

#43 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

razgriz_101

the top of the forums do say back it up with facts if you want to be a good system warrior.

Back up what exactly ?

When my game releases, you will see the final proper version, not the 2 years old one

Then you will see how well i can back up my claims

Dont expect Dark Souls though :), it is a 2D RPG in the style of Muramasa, with strategic combat and more emphasis on RPG than over the top action

#44 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Back up what exactly ?

When my game releases, you will see the final proper version, not the 2 years old one

Any developer would in their right minds least have.

1.A blog/website

2.Facebook page

3.Concept art/proof of work

4.Some footage of the game running no matter how old

5.Keep updating people on the project.

#45 Posted by tenaka2 (17019 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Back up what exactly ?

Then you will see how well i can back up my claims

Ahh go on post a link, we won't laugh... much.

#46 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

Back up what exactly ?

1.A blog/website

2.Facebook page

I will have all that after i finilize my demo and have contacted MS as first option for publishing

I dont want to reveal something that would give the game traits away yet

I am close to finilizing the demo though, all the areas-quests-creatures have been created and i am now tweaking them in the game and making the battle as fun as possible

The shift i made in graphics took me an extra 5 months, that is why the demo was a bit delayed, i now have an animator working in the game too

I will update people when i have achieved perfection in the demo, that is for sure

#47 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Back up what exactly ?

loosingENDS

1.A blog/website

2.Facebook page

I will have all that after i finilize my demo and have contacted MS as first option for publishing

I am close to finilizing the demo though, all the areas-quests-creatures have been created and i am now tweaking them in the game and making the battle as fun as possible

The shift i made in graphics took me an extra 5 months, that is why the demo was a bit delayed, i now have an animator working in the game too

hahahahahahahah i would have had all that in place WELL before i went optioning, even at that honestly you would much better in a lot of senses benefit from launching on something like the PC or even the indie circuit.

Its clearly obvious you've done your research eh.

#48 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

1.A blog/website

2.Facebook page

razgriz_101

hahahahahahahah i would have had all that in place WELL before i went optioning, even at that honestly you would much better in a lot of senses benefit from launching on something like the PC or even the indie circuit.

I am targeting XBLA, PC and Steam are an option if averything else fails

Also since we are a 3 people group making it, i cant say when exactly will be ready and we all know what happens if you reveal a game too soon

If it all comes to putting the game on Steam, i will simply start a PC campaign then and release with more content a bit later

The problem is that this kind of game is best suited for pad and the keyboard controls would be a bit akward, i have focused on the pad for now

#49 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Also since we are a 3 people group making it, i cant say when exactly will be ready and we all know what happens if you reveal a game too soon

If it all comes to putting the game on Steam, i will simply start a PC campaign then and release with more content a bit later

Right whatever you say, still any dev worth their salt would least have a website or means of contact.

#50 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

Right whatever you say, still any dev worth their salt would least have a website or means of contact.

As i said, all will happen in their right time

Afterall will be at least another year after the demo until the game is released, i can focus on websites etc in that year and now focus on making the game perfect than anything else

Another problem is that a possible publisher might want to control the info people get for the game and i would not like to have outputed more than i should