Yoshio Sakamoto doesn't want to return to traditional games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

Source: Gamespot, CVG

CVG: In your Tomodachi presentation, you mentioned your mission to 'create a game that moves the industry forwards'. Does that mean you will not return to the more traditional game series that you're known for?

Sakamoto: I do not intend to do so. There might [currently] be various tasks I might be involved in with past series. However, even if so I would always like to introduce new entertainment and new fun to those series.

I would like to satisfy fans of those series, but also working with other talented individuals I would like to create entertainment that's completely different and that brings new emotions. I would like to challenge myself in those unique directions.

This might be indirect, but if we can make new types of gamers enjoy video games for the first time through Tomodachi Life, then they might eventually become interested in the more conventional games. I think we need to ensure that video games remain attractive to consumers, and in order to do so new concepts and ideas are important. I would like to challenge myself to do that.

---

There you have it, Metroid fans. Sakamoto doesn't seem to want to return to Metroid (his traditional series as he is co-creator with Gunpei Yokoi) as of this time. Either this is good news for those who disliked Other M. Bad news for the series in general. Or both.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Nintendo was already dead, this doesn't change much.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

So Tomodachi Life will move the industry forward? Hmm k.

It's getting more attention that I thought it would tho. lol

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#4 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

And here I wanted Prime 4 and Other M 2.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, it is nice that he wants to create new expiriences. just wish it could be something a bit more appealing than Tomodachi Life.

I wouldn't really be against Sakamoto returning to Metroid though, as I thought Other M was a solid game, disappointing story aside.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Wasn't this guy responsible for ever awful design choice in Other M?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Good riddance, hopefully someone else will handle Metroid and do a better job than him. Seems like these old timers are getting tired..even Aonuma wants to do simpler stuff..so time promote the younger up people. :p

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

Good for him for pursuing his own interests. Hopefully he will go on to develop some interesting new franchises in addition to Tomadachi Life (perhaps something for the Wii U *cough*).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Good, then someone else might be able to take the helm of Metroid.

@Pffrbt said:

No, just the bad script. Most of the gameplay was built and designed by Team Ninja (AFAIK).

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Good, then someone else might be able to take the helm of Metroid.

@Pffrbt said:

No, just the bad script. Most of the gameplay was built and designed by Team Ninja (AFAIK).

Wrong it was Sakamoto at the helm..he's responsible for more than just bad story..he's the one who insisted on using *wiimote only* controls had to be build just around wiimote..which Team Ninja did a good job with that restriction. :p

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Yes! Metroid is Saved!

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I love how the narrative was about how Metroid Other M was a neat "gem" for the wii and severely underrated but now people are honest about it because they've moved on.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

most likely because he was both director and scenario writer. I think he's better off making them quirky games rather than the traditional stuff. XD

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FireEmblem_Man

@DocSanchez said:

I love how the narrative was about how Metroid Other M was a neat "gem" for the wii and severely underrated but now people are honest about it because they've moved on.

A neat "gem" for the Wii? It belongs in the garbage can!

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Every time someone criticised the wii library it was on people's lists of games which were amazing and only on wii. It was a bit precious at the time of release but then as time went on people admitted it was, frankly, rubbish. Not a true metroid game, not a metroid prime game, just a failure.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Yes! Metroid is Saved!

You think? I hope so.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@DocSanchez:

Not sure were you saw those comments, but I'm sure it wasn't on this board. People always hated Other M here. I mean really fucking hated it. It basically got the FFXIII treatment. If anything, people are starting to warm up to it instead of unanimously calling it shit like they used to.

Anyways, good riddance. I don't want Sakamoto, Team Ninja, or any other hacks screwing with the IP further.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Next Metroid has a much better chance of rocking then; awesome.

Hope Sakamoto finds success elsewhere though.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I don't see how an evolved form of tamagotchi is going to change the industry.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I've heard before that the story elements that were the subject of ridicule for Other M were by directive from Nintendo, but I had no idea who made that call. If it was this guy, sure they made bad moves, overall I rather enjoyed Other M. I'd gladly like to see Nintendo outsource Metroid to other developers if they themselves are not going to make them. Nintendo needs to embrace outsourcing to provide more content to their system. They've too many IPs to manage themselves. And even if Nintendo doesn't want to gamble on third parties generating new titles with Nintendo licenses, for God's sake at least let them help port older content to the Wii U for Nintendo's eShop.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FireEmblem_Man

@lamprey263 said:

I've heard before that the story elements that were the subject of ridicule for Other M were by directive from Nintendo, but I had no idea who made that call. If it was this guy, sure they made bad moves, overall I rather enjoyed Other M. I'd gladly like to see Nintendo outsource Metroid to other developers if they themselves are not going to make them. Nintendo needs to embrace outsourcing to provide more content to their system. They've too many IPs to manage themselves. And even if Nintendo doesn't want to gamble on third parties generating new titles with Nintendo licenses, for God's sake at least let them help port older content to the Wii U for Nintendo's eShop.

They did outsourced Metroid, the was the Prime Series and made many awards. Problem is, Sakamoto wanted to make a console Metroid of his own and claimed the Prime games non-cannon because he was NOT involved with them unlike both Fusion and Zero Mission.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FireEmblem_Man

@DocSanchez said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Every time someone criticised the wii library it was on people's lists of games which were amazing and only on wii. It was a bit precious at the time of release but then as time went on people admitted it was, frankly, rubbish. Not a true metroid game, not a metroid prime game, just a failure.

Maybe you heard that from the supposed "Purest" Metroid fans? You know, the ones that don't like the Prime series and prefer Fusion over them, and Japanese weeaboo's that think Japan's take on Metroid is better than Retro's take? I'll admit, I was once excited for it before it came out, until I played it myself and never again touched it as it gave me nightmares of Sakamoto abusing Samus like both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas double teaming on "touching" Indiana Jones.