Yoshida confirms PS4 scaler is hardware based

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

http://n4g.com/news/1385102/shuhei-yoshida-confirms-that-upscaler-on-playstation-4-is-hardware-based

So much for that secret sauce scaler Lems. Sony is on fire with the PS4. They've learned their lesson with PS3s architecture and it shows.

DaHater7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DaHater7
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but which is better software or hardware based upscaling?

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

@DaHater7 said:

Hardware based upscaling wins. With software upscaling, the quality will depend on the developer skill, but if you have a good scalar chip, it'll always work well.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@NineTailedGoku said:

http://n4g.com/news/1385102/shuhei-yoshida-confirms-that-upscaler-on-playstation-4-is-hardware-based

So much for that secret sauce scaler Lems. Sony is on fire with the PS4. They've learned their lesson with PS3s architecture and it shows.

But but BF4 look better because of the scaler been hardware...lol

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@tormentos: the scaler on xbo is better than ps4.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

we shouldn't be scaling shit in 2013. everything should be 1080p.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

More good news this week for the PS4? My oh my what a wonderful day.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XBOunity

@NineTailedGoku: what does sonys scaler have to do with microsofts? The scaler on xbo is excellent. Same washed out look on ps4 and xbo was without

Ao.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@XBOunity said:

I double confirm that.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

The XBox One does have a superior scaler chip from what I've seen, but the superior GPU in the PS4 is a far greater advantage...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@XBOunity said:

XB1 won't even need it by the time the next E3 rolls around. lol!!

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XBOunity

@superclocked: agreed

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SinjinSmythe

@superclocked said:

The XBox One does have a superior scaler chip from what I've seen, but the superior GPU in the PS4 is a far greater advantage...

I read something that the Cpu is so weak in the PS4 that the GDDR5 and GPU can get bogged down by this? You see any truth to this?

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Look at all the trolls that have shown up already.Once the PS4,or XB1 is mention in the title the trolls just roll in.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@NameIess_One said:

@DaHater7 said:

Hardware based upscaling wins. With software upscaling, the quality will depend on the developer skill, but if you have a good scalar chip, it'll always work well.

Software scaling just means the CPU is doing the work, not that every developer would have to implement their own solution.

The CPU would be a lot slower at this task than a specialized hardware solution, and so the quality would be poor.

I don't know that there is much difference in quality in terms of modern scaling hardware though. It's not brain surgery, the algorithms are well established. You're still sampling color pixels and guessing to fill new ones.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

@blackace said:

@XBOunity said:

wishful thinking

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SinjinSmythe

@Promised_Trini said:

Look at all the trolls that have shown up already.Once the PS4,or XB1 is mention in the title the trolls just roll in.

dafuq you doing here?

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Promised_Trini said:

dafuq you doing here?

I don't troll like Fakeboys like you dude.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

@superclocked said:

I read something that the Cpu is so weak in the PS4 that the GDDR5 and GPU can get bogged down by this? You see any truth to this?

The CPU is indeed pretty weak, so I wouldn't doubt it. But, the PS4 has enhancements for GPU compute, so it won't be a problem for long. The GPU is going to start aiding with tasks that are normally handled by the CPU..

The PS4 and XB1 use the same CPU, btw, but we haven't gotten any word on the clock speed of the PS4 CPU. The 8 core Jaguar CPU in the XB1 is clocked at 1.75GHz. Microsoft is countering the PS4's GPU compute upgrades with it's cloud computing capabilities, but it'll likely be a long time before internet connections are fast enough for cloud computing to aid with anything but AI...

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

@XBOunity said:

Link? Seems XO will be needing it far more than PS4 though.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@superclocked said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@superclocked said:

The CPU is indeed pretty weak, so I wouldn't doubt it. But, the PS4 has enhancements for GPU compute, so it won't be a problem for long. The GPU is going to start aiding with tasks that are normally handled by the CPU..

The PS4 and XB1 use the same CPU, btw, but we haven't gotten any word on the clock speed of the PS4 CPU. The 8 core Jaguar CPU in the XB1 is clocked at 1.75GHz. Microsoft is countering the PS4's GPU compute upgrades with it's cloud computing capabilities, but it'll likely be a long time before internet connections are fast enough for cloud computing to aid with anything but AI...

It will be scripted AI too so at best you might get more npcs that walk around and do nothing important

otherwise when we hit a lag spike we will have npcs punching at the spot you were standing at 5 seconds ago.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kinthalis

@superclocked said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@superclocked said:

Just keep in mind that some tasks will not be as efficiently handled by the GPU as by the CPU, and anytime the GPU is doing GPGPU work, it's losing performance in terms of rendering frames to the buffer.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Why even need a scaler?

Can't run 1080P games natively? That's sad.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

@superclocked said:

For a console which will be scaling its 720p games on a regular bases, it's better to be superior to the PS4's.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kinthalis

@xxgunslingerxx said:

@superclocked said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@superclocked said:

It will be scripted AI too so at best you might get more npcs that walk around and do nothing important

otherwise when we hit a lag spike we will have npcs punching at the spot you were standing at 5 seconds ago.

I figure the CPU should handle high level decision making while the GPU can handle the mechanics of making those decisions mean somehting in the world.

CPU: Crap, just spotted a filthy meat bag heading to the right behind that pillar. Calculate possibility of being flanked at 80%! Stupid meat bag. My best course of action is to take cover behind that crate and flank him right back!

CPU to GPU: Hey I need to move behind that crate!

GPU: The fuq? Why?

CPU nevermind why you nincompoop! DO it!

GPU: Fine, damn. ::calculates pathfinding vectors::

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Not like it even matters since most games are 1080p anyway.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tormentos

@superclocked said:

lol..

Both have the same scaler from GCN.. This is madness.

@blackace said:

@XBOunity said:

Really because rumors point at 720p Titanfall,which is a joke considering that Titanfall isn't even good looking it looks worse than COD ghost.

@SinjinSmythe said:

@superclocked said:

The PS4 and xbox one had the same CPU,but unlike the PS4 that was heavily modify to use compute the xbox one wasn't.

@Kinthalis said:

Just keep in mind that some tasks will not be as efficiently handled by the GPU as by the CPU, and anytime the GPU is doing GPGPU work, it's losing performance in terms of rendering frames to the buffer.

The PS4 was heavily modify so that doesn't happen it can run compute and graphics one alone side the other without compute hurting the graphics,this has been stated by Mark Cerny and is old,volatile bit,way more ACES and commands.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tormentos

@MonsieurX said:

Why even need a scaler?

Can't run 1080P games natively? That's sad.

All GCN have hardware scaler build in like always lemming think only the xbox had it,because MS hyped it just like they did with DME which GCN also has and is call DMA.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tormentos

@always_explicit said:

720p for life...hahaha

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@tormentos said:

@always_explicit said:

720p for life...hahaha

Yeah but when the XBOXONE release I wont be on SW to be thrilled by your resolution diatribes. Il be playing the AWESOME XBOXONE and enjoying its amazing launch lineup.

Dont worry though, im sure you will be just as happy unboxing your brand new PSbore.

Your just gonna have to wait a little while for some decent games to come out...im sure it'll work out fine.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

The PS4 scaler is a joke compared to the Xbox one scaler.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10597 Posts

@always_explicit said:

@tormentos said:

@always_explicit said:

720p for life...hahaha

Yeah but when the XBOXONE release I wont be on SW to be thrilled by your resolution diatribes. Il be playing the AWESOME XBOXONE and enjoying its amazing launch lineup.

Dont worry though, im sure you will be just as happy unboxing your brand new PSbore.

Your just gonna have to wait a little while for some decent games to come out...im sure it'll work out fine.

Well, with all the superior multiplats that's coming to head, I'm sure that PS4 owners can get through the launch just fine, especially since BOTH premier multiplats have been shown to perform better on the PS4 so far (BF4, and CoD: Ghost).

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10597 Posts

@Scipio8 said:

The PS4 scaler is a joke compared to the Xbox one scaler.

Why invest in a "high-class" scaler, when you have a "high-class" GPU which doesn't really need to rely on a scaler at all times?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Apparently the two consoles have the same scaler chip according to some tech heads on Gaf. Everyone is going off Digital Foundry who assumed on the hardware based on their results, not off confirmed hardware specs.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

LOL

They both have an Amd GPU with the same hardware scaler build in .

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
P
@Kinthalis
said:

@superclocked said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@superclocked said:

The GPU in ps4 does a-synchronous GPGPU compute... There won't be any hit in graphics for GPU compute.... 64aces

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Battlefield 4 is the only PS4 game that is not native 1080p, so far.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@PAL360 said:

@silversix_ said:

also the most important one, to me at least.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@PAL360 said:

@silversix_ said:

also the most important one, to me at least.

Same to me, but is also the most hardware demanding. I think 900p is acceptable for a multiplatform, cross generation, launch game.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Still worse than native.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Caseytappy said:

They both have an Amd GPU with the same hardware scaler build in .

This.. This thread is a collection of trolls and morans that believe everything or what? Every GPU IS a scaler. The xb0ne will be doing a lot more scaling though as it can't hit 1080p natively

kingtone85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingtone85
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts

@silversix_ said:

thank u jesus. somebody had the balls to say it.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

So much stupididy in this thread its painful to read.

Hardware scaling is nothing new. The fucking Xbox 360 has a hardware scaler, along with EVERY modern GPU since 2008 or so. There is no new information here, nor was it ever a matter up to speculation. The bigger revelation would have been if PS4 DIDNT have one.

Next, Cows are going to brag about having unified shaders.

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By MajesticShea
Member since 2013 • 730 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:

Hardware scaling is nothing new. The fucking Xbox 360 has a hardware scaler, along with EVERY modern GPU since 2008 or so. There is no new information here, nor was it a matter worthy of speculation. The bigger revelation would have been if PS4 DIDNT have one.

No, this thread is based on the motive; to stop lems from bragging about their 'superior' scaler chip

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

@majesticshea said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

Hardware scaling is nothing new. The fucking Xbox 360 has a hardware scaler, along with EVERY modern GPU since 2008 or so. There is no new information here, nor was it a matter worthy of speculation. The bigger revelation would have been if PS4 DIDNT have one.

No, this thread is based on the motive; to stop lems from bragging about their 'superior' scaler chip

Oh, I know, Ive seen some stupid from both sides on that front, which is why to preserve my IQ I sit comfortably on the sidelines in those discussions, and watch from a distance.

However, I dont think you are familiar with Ninetailedgoku.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

So Microsoft Spybox 720 has no hardware advantage over the PS4 in any way. People just think the Xbox is better because the contrast was set up wrong... idiots.

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

The scalars are the same... the scaling is done within the GPU by the GCN units after applying Gamma transformation. Who the hell ever thought the scalars were different?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29822 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:

@majesticshea said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

Oh, I know, Ive seen some stupid from both sides on that front, which is why to preserve my IQ I sit comfortably on the sidelines in those discussions, and watch from a distance.

However, I dont think you are familiar with Ninetailedgoku.

You mean ikingbobi? So incredibly pathetic.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts

@ermacness said:

@always_explicit said:

@tormentos said:

@always_explicit said:

720p for life...hahaha

Well, with all the superior multiplats that's coming to head, I'm sure that PS4 owners can get through the launch just fine, especially since BOTH premier multiplats have been shown to perform better on the PS4 so far (BF4, and CoD: Ghost).

This always makes me chuckle. I'm challenging any cow on this site to find a video that compares the XB1 and PS4 versions of COD and BF4 and prove that the PS4 version is going to look any better. Because right now all the evidence points to the exact opposite. In fact the only thing we've seen is that if the PS4's higher resolution is noticeable, it's at the cost of having crappy textures and particle effects. Killzone's Multiplayer is a perfect example, 1080p and 60fps but 2010 textures and rain effects.

So I'll ask again, for anyone to show video evidence of the PS4 versions looking better than the XB1 versions, other than shrieking up and down about the numbers.