Yoshida Believes Nintendo Brings Balance To Industry

  • 86 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

“We are concerned a little bit when we work on a game like LittleBigPlanet 3, because people want those big-budget, realistic, military shooters,” he said. “I was very happy to get a very positive reaction when we announced LittleBigPlanet 3. But there were lots of cheers, a lot of affection. And the reaction to Nintendo’s games in general, or a game like Splatoon. If you look at the whole industry, and you consider Nintendo, I think the balance is actually better than past years.”

SOURCE

Personally, I am inclined to agree- Nintendo provides a stark counterpoint to the traditional AAA industry, and they do it well. More importantly, they also remain the only one actually doing it. I therefore never understood all the cries for Nintendo to make a western appealing cinematic game or shooter- you have literally the rest of the industry doing that, why do you want another company to do that as well? Let Nintendo do their thing- and as their E3 demonstrated this year, and as Yoshida himself seems to have observed, Nintendo is still doing its job incredibly, incredibly well.

#2 Edited by nini200 (9798 posts) -

Here's Link's Shield, you're going to need it for the spoiled milk that the Cows shoot your way.

#3 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9582 posts) -

The only FPS Nintendo needs to be making is...

Do I really have to finish that sentence, everyone?

#4 Posted by Shewgenja (9235 posts) -

Just got a WiiU today :) Updated my facebook and I already have like five girls I know asking for my ID. Still charging the pad, but damn, I didn't even know three of them gamed. My body is ready for the balance!

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Just got a WiiU today :) Updated my facebook and I already have like five girls I know asking for my ID. Still charging the pad, but damn, I didn't even know three of them gamed. My body is ready for the balance!

Enjoy it, it's a wonderful system!

And I know I'm not a girl (... I think), but do share your Nintendo Network ID with me as well! Looking forward to seeing you in Mario Kart ;)

#6 Posted by cainetao11 (17542 posts) -

PlayStation Boss Doesn't Understand Why Some People Only Want to Play AAA Games

Top of the business game PR. Question gamers legitimacy. Sony are on their game marketing wise. I only speak for me, but I never bought new hardware for 2D Indies no matter how good. They can be just as good on last gen.

#7 Edited by KittenNose (503 posts) -

They would need to be less irrelevant to bring balance. Right now they just cater to a couple of niche groups. If you want the best and most impossibly fun party games, are pleagued by nastolga for the very based games of your childhood, or don't want you kids to have the call of duty console and you don'r know about the new Stipperela game, you really should get a Nintendo.

Otherwise... Meh

#8 Edited by Shewgenja (9235 posts) -

@charizard1605: I passed on getting MK8 today because the Gamestop was out of Pro pads. Seems like a nice indicator that there's been an influx of core gamers to WiiU imho. I asked the store clerk how WiiU is doing at his store since E3 and he said that right after MK8 launched, they actually ran out of stock for almost a week.

Good times for Nintendo lovers ahead. Houston is an incredibly diverse city ethnically and economically. Typically, what does well here does well nationwide (observation I have made since the start of Gen7). Now, my question is, can I use a Pro pad with MK8?

#9 Edited by Gue1 (9963 posts) -

shu is drunk. He has been saying some stuff lately that is making me lose faith in playstation.

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

@kittennose said:

They would need to be less irrelevant to bring balance. Right now they just cater to a couple of niche groups. If you want the best and most impossibly fun party games, are pleagued by nastolga for the very based games of your childhood, or don't want you kids to have the call of duty console and you don'r know about the new Stipperela game, you really should get a Nintendo.

Otherwise... Meh

Or, you know, if you just want some great Nintendo games, that only Nintendo happens to make. Those too.

#11 Posted by silversix_ (14553 posts) -

I believe Nintendo brings nothing to the table since 05

#12 Posted by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@charizard1605: I passed on getting MK8 today because the Gamestop was out of Pro pads. Seems like a nice indicator that there's been an influx of core gamers to WiiU imho. I asked the store clerk how WiiU is doing at his store since E3 and he said that right after MK8 launched, they actually ran out of stock for almost a week.

Good times for Nintendo lovers ahead. Houston is an incredibly diverse city ethnically and economically. Typically, what does well here does well nationwide (observation I have made since the start of Gen7). Now, my question is, can I use a Pro pad with MK8?

You can indeed use a Pro Pad with Mario Kart 8. You can also use a Wiimote, Wiimote/Nunchuk, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro, and Wii Wheel.

So... really, you shouldn't have any issues finding at least one control scheme you like xD

@Gue1 said:

shu is drunk. He has been saying some stuff lately that is making me lose faith in playstation.

What exactly did he say in the highlighted statement that was wrong?

#13 Posted by Shewgenja (9235 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

shu is drunk. He has been saying some stuff lately that is making me lose faith in playstation.

For me, it's the opposite. It seems like he really understands gaming. He's a breath of fresh air from the typical shill that just wants to tell you their shit doesn't stink and you should buy ten of their product because what else will you spend your money on?

Shu is awesome. PS4 is fucking awesome. WiiU is awesome! Gen8 is the shit!

#14 Posted by KittenNose (503 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Or, you know, if you just want some great Nintendo games, that only Nintendo happens to make. Those too.

The only real great ones are party and/or nostalgia games. I admit there is a Pavlovian response to the phrase "There is a new Zelda game coming out" that sends a thrill up my spine, but then I remember that Nintendo games are designed around silly controllers and shrug it off. Unless you are going to own multiple consoles, those are really the only reasons for grabbing a Nintendo other then family friendliness.

#15 Posted by Shewgenja (9235 posts) -

@kittennose said:

@charizard1605 said:

Or, you know, if you just want some great Nintendo games, that only Nintendo happens to make. Those too.

The only real great ones are party and/or nostalgia games. I admit there is a Pavlovian response to the phrase "There is a new Zelda game coming out" that sends a thrill up my spine, but then I remember that Nintendo games are designed around silly controllers and shrug it off. Unless you are going to own multiple consoles, those are really the only reasons for grabbing a Nintendo other then family friendliness.

That's the beauty of it. For what you would have paid for just a PS3 at launch in Gen7, you can get a PS4 and a WiiU almost. When the prices start to drop, scooping up a WiiU will become a tempting proposition, especially if they keep their momentum up with games.

#16 Posted by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

@kittennose said:

@charizard1605 said:

Or, you know, if you just want some great Nintendo games, that only Nintendo happens to make. Those too.

The only real great ones are party and/or nostalgia games. I admit there is a Pavlovian response to the phrase "There is a new Zelda game coming out" that sends a thrill up my spine, but then I remember that Nintendo games are designed around silly controllers and shrug it off. Unless you are going to own multiple consoles, those are really the only reasons for grabbing a Nintendo other then family friendliness.

What about the Wii U Zelda so far indicates that it is being designed around a silly controller?

Or about Mario Kart 8? Or Super Mario 3D World? Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze? Pikmin 3? Xenoblade X? Yoshi? Super Smash Bros?

#17 Edited by KittenNose (503 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

What about the Wii U Zelda so far indicates that it is being designed around a silly controller?

Or about Mario Kart 8? Or Super Mario 3D World? Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze? Pikmin 3? Xenoblade X? Yoshi? Super Smash Bros?

Perhaps designed around is unfair. I forgot that Nintendo is selling a normal-ish controller as an accessory now. It is a personal bias. I was a crazy Nintendo Fanboy, and then could play OoT because the stupid flippin 64 controller gave me hand cramps. Odds are it is fine with a normal controller, I just wish Nintendo would get over its piracy fears or adopt a new DRM strategy.

#18 Edited by intotheminx (650 posts) -

The gaming world is consumed with first person shooters and sword swinging games. Personally, I've grown tired of it. Nintendo does bring something to the table, but I've been playing those games since I was a child. Mario, Zelda, DK, Kirby, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Mario Party, on and on and on. It's hard for me to get excited about Mario Kart 8 when I've played 7 of them prior. Nintendo should introduce some new characters and huge franchises imo. The most fun I've had playing a game in a long time was Battleblock Theater. It made me feel like a kid again playing Super Mario Bros 3 on my Nintendo. All in all, I feel like the gaming industry needs a change and I think Nintendo can seize this moment. We need something different.

#19 Posted by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

@kittennose said:

@charizard1605 said:

What about the Wii U Zelda so far indicates that it is being designed around a silly controller?

Or about Mario Kart 8? Or Super Mario 3D World? Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze? Pikmin 3? Xenoblade X? Yoshi? Super Smash Bros?

Perhaps designed around is unfair. I forgot that Nintendo is selling a normal-ish controller as an accessory now. It is a personal bias. I was a crazy Nintendo Fanboy, and then could play OoT because the stupid flippin 64 controller gave me hand cramps. Odds are it is fine with a normal controller, I just wish Nintendo would get over its piracy fears or adopt a new DRM strategy.

That part I can agree with, their digital accounts strategy is unnecessarily obtuse. They are admittedly slowly reaching the standards you would expect a modern digital ecosystem to have, but as it stands now, at least, it represents a large knock against investing in a Nintendo, if only on a principled stance.

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

@intotheminx said:

The gaming world is consumed with first person shooters and sword swinging games. Personally, I've grown tired of it. Nintendo does bring something to the table, but I've been playing those games since I was a child. Mario, Zelda, DK, Kirby, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Mario Party, on and on and on. It's hard for me to get excited about Mario Kart 8 when I've played 7 of them prior. Nintendo should introduce some new characters and huge franchises imo. The most fun I've had playing a game in a long time was Battleblock Theater. It made me feel like a kid again playing Super Mario Bros 3 on my Nintendo. All in all, I feel like the gaming industry needs a change and I think Nintendo can seize this moment. We need something different.

It'll come as good news to you, then, that not only has Nintendo already invested in some new IPs for the Wii U, but there are also some major games coming to the console that are all new IPs within the next year as well.

#21 Posted by Jankarcop (9492 posts) -

nintendo is just rehashes that suck

#22 Edited by Celsius765 (714 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

nintendo is just rehashes that suck

you can say that about every console son

#23 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -

So he admits that FPS are plaguing the industry?

#24 Edited by inb4uall (5708 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

nintendo is just rehashes that suck

I didn't think that your opinion could hold any less value in my eyes. You just proved me wrong. Wow.

#25 Edited by KittenNose (503 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

That part I can agree with, their digital accounts strategy is unnecessarily obtuse. They are admittedly slowly reaching the standards you would expect a modern digital ecosystem to have, but as it stands now, at least, it represents a large knock against investing in a Nintendo, if only on a principled stance.

I am not going to lie, I am totally ignorant about that one. I am talking about their old school strategy. The theorized reason for Nintendo doing things the odd way, I.E ditching the best controller in gaming for one of the worst, the DS having a second screen, shunning disks, the Wii U being built in such a way it made multiplats almost impossible to make for the console ECT, is because piracy is a much bigger deal in Japan then in America. Nintendo (it is theorized) decided way back in the day that if you stole their games you had to buy their equipment anyway or miss out on a lot of features assuming you could even play the stolen game.

#26 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6082 posts) -

The industry would be for the worse without Nintendo, that's for sure.

#27 Posted by OhSnapitz (18393 posts) -

Honestly.. I don't disagree.

Compare Ninty's E3 2014 to Sony & M$... Ninty clearly had a message that their console is geared for EVERYONE. Sony & M$ had a few E rated gems but for the most part it was stab, cut, slice, shoot, impale, blow up, repeat.

#28 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3030 posts) -

Well pretty much. Sony and MS go after the same customer. Ninty sort of just goes their own way, for better or for worse.

#29 Edited by Nike_Air (18328 posts) -

Yoshida would rather kids grow up Nintendo and then move to Playstation when they get old enough , than to have kids grow up on phones/tablets/pc and then not move on to Playstation at all.

Problem is , Nintendo is flopping now and there's no hope in sight. They are losing the battle. Playstation is doomed.

#30 Posted by Basinboy (11155 posts) -

@OhSnapitz said:

Honestly.. I don't disagree.

Compare Ninty's E3 2014 to Sony & M$... Ninty clearly had a message that their console is geared for EVERYONE. Sony & M$ had a few E rated gems but for the most part it was stab, cut, slice, shoot, impale, blow up, repeat.

I - I don't...what?

Nintendo consoles are for Nintendo games. Luckily there's a modest variety in those games to dilute the fact that there's a significant lack of extensive and TRULY varied content readily available on virtually any competing platform. Considering the Wii U as a console for everyone is terribly misguided.

#31 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26689 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

shu is drunk. He has been saying some stuff lately that is making me lose faith in playstation.

Why? Because, like Phil Spencer, he doesn't like seeing his competition fail and actually enjoys playing with it too?

#32 Posted by Sollet (7379 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Gue1 said:

shu is drunk. He has been saying some stuff lately that is making me lose faith in playstation.

Why? Because, like Phil Spencer, he doesn't like seeing his competition fail and actually enjoys playing with it too?

Indeed.

Anyways fanboys will fanboy.

#33 Edited by Puddingmon (9 posts) -

When you think about it, nintendo is probably one of the most successful companies in the entire world, let alone in the gaming industry.

Also, without the success of the Mario games, video games would most likely have not existed today. :)

#34 Posted by Spitfire-Six (517 posts) -

I don't know how many of you have kids but it never fails when i goto game stop and I see some nintendo title "rehashed" for the wii U i buy it for my kids. There is comfort in familiarity but its not so familiar that your playing the same game. I remember battling it out with my brother and sister in mario kart, smash brothers and etc. Now I play mario kart 8 and my 2 little boys are kicking my ass. Its fun, watching them fail in Windwaker and dad comes in to save the day because I had wind waker on game cube. This is something that only works with nintendo. As adults me and my brother still talk about battles with neighborhood kids on smash brothers but we don't say a word about tekken 1.

#35 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26689 posts) -

@Sollet said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Gue1 said:

shu is drunk. He has been saying some stuff lately that is making me lose faith in playstation.

Why? Because, like Phil Spencer, he doesn't like seeing his competition fail and actually enjoys playing with it too?

Indeed.

Anyways fanboys will fanboy.

While I may be a sheep at heart, I agree. Hell, most of my recent game time is on the 360.

#36 Edited by Heirren (17061 posts) -

Nintendo is almost separate from what is considered the "games industry" at this point.

Nintendo should still use Wario as a GTA clone or TPS game, though.

#37 Posted by Desmonic (14031 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

“We are concerned a little bit when we work on a game like LittleBigPlanet 3, because people want those big-budget, realistic, military shooters,” he said. “I was very happy to get a very positive reaction when we announced LittleBigPlanet 3. But there were lots of cheers, a lot of affection. And the reaction to Nintendo’s games in general, or a game like Splatoon. If you look at the whole industry, and you consider Nintendo, I think the balance is actually better than past years.”

SOURCE

Personally, I am inclined to agree- Nintendo provides a stark counterpoint to the traditional AAA industry, and they do it well. More importantly, they also remain the only one actually doing it. I therefore never understood all the cries for Nintendo to make a western appealing cinematic game or shooter- you have literally the rest of the industry doing that, why do you want another company to do that as well? Let Nintendo do their thing- and as their E3 demonstrated this year, and as Yoshida himself seems to have observed, Nintendo is still doing its job incredibly, incredibly well.

I'm sure that by stark counterpoint you mean no games, so yeah, that's true! :D

#38 Edited by MirkoS77 (7473 posts) -

I used to be more upset at Nintendo's output a few years ago, but I've since pretty much resigned myself to the fact that they will now play it fairly safe, and when they don't it's nothing they take an immense risk on. We're never going to see a brand new AAA IP from them again. They'll be much smaller, experimental endeavors to test the waters. It's kind of depressing tbh. The reason I used to love Nintendo so much was they never really hesitated to put their all behind extremely novel concepts (Pikmin for instance is a crazy idea for a game that would NEVER be green lit by today's Nintendo as the big AAA it is known as, it would've been a mini-game or something or other).

Nintendo's not nearly as......reckless (in a good way) as they once were. They used to feel confident, fearless and uninhibited, now they come off as unsure of themselves and very calculated in anything they do. IF they do it. All of their software is (while still creative) incredibly unambitious and timid in execution. Lots of new, unknown IPs drop on the eshop without fanfare, and things such as Splatoon are a seldom seen announcement. And this sucks, because they have the best talent in the world. Just not the man at the helm with the balls to give it its all.

#39 Posted by remiks00 (1870 posts) -

I agree with Yoshida. I've always viewed Nintendo as if they were playing in a different league out of the big 3. Sony & microsoft are way too similar.

#40 Posted by platinumking320 (666 posts) -

Problem is others dont understand history. You don't compete with nintendo by being the 'bad boy' console. Look at Sega. Sony understood its a 'numbers' game, not a demographic game. If the gameplay is good varied and plenty, people will come. MS came into the picture trying to take the dudebro market crown, and threw the industry off balance.

They're supposed sell hardcore M rated titles, like the old 'STAPLES' tagline.

"Yeah, we got that too."

Thats it. That's all the advertisement we need. Then focus more on the general and casual audience for the premiere promotions and mascots. and its all gravy. But don't blare from a loudspeaker, the shit that all the hardcore folks are playing. If tbey know it prints money, they should do just some ads and shut up about it.

They advertise M titles like Transformers movies, and its really missing the mark.

#41 Posted by Shewgenja (9235 posts) -

@platinumking320 said:

Problem is others dont understand history. You don't compete with nintendo by being the 'bad boy' console. Look at Sega. Sony understood its a 'numbers' game, not a demographic game. If the gameplay is good varied and plenty, people will come. MS came into the picture trying to take the dudebro market crown, and threw the industry off balance.

They're supposed sell hardcore M rated titles, like the old 'STAPLES' tagline.

"Yeah, we got that too."

Thats it. That's all the advertisement we need. Then focus more on the general and casual audience for the premiere promotions and mascots. and its all gravy. But don't blare from a loudspeaker, the shit that all the hardcore folks are playing. If tbey know it prints money, they should do just some ads and shut up about it.

They advertise M titles like Transformers movies, and its really missing the mark.

Eh, I agree with most of your sentiment, but the Genesis outsold the SNES up until about the last year of that generation (Of course, Nintendo had a later start). Sega DID wreck on Nintendo's market by being the "bad boy" console and actually did it really well. Segas problem wasn't Nintendo, Segas problem was Sega. They grossly mismanaged their console releases and even their hardware cycles after the Genesis gen and lost the momentum they had.

Nintendo's triumph is also what is perceived as their weakness. They have strong branding with familiar characters and they back that up with incredibly well-designed games that support those franchises. Nintendo created their ecosystem and it has flourished in spite of Playstation and XBox. Their branding is their fallout shelter. There's also one thing that Nintendo does that is a nut that Sega, Sony and MS simply cannot crack and that is their handheld market dominance. This is a mostly blue water market that they took the same formula to impress the Wii into the console space and it was a winning strategy.

Sonys faltering with the PS3 was a perfect storm of forces acting on them that simply couldn't allow for the PS3 to have the market dominance the others had. However, you are 100% correct in that Sonys approach with the Playstation has always been to have every type of game under one roof. MS was like a heat-seeking missile on the hardcore gamer with the 360 and those are the people who generate the most software sales and are willing to pay for online gaming. MS broke their own ecosystem with the XBone by trying to spin off their new console from the Kinect-centric casual audience that Nintendo resonated so well with the Wii.

What is really obvious now is that the casual/non- gamer of gen7 has, in large but no means by all, not integrated with the core gamer like people expected would happen and instead are moving on to mobile/pad gaming instead. Sony gambled on going big with core gamers and are now leaving the other two to play catch up. To Nintendos credit, they went huge at E3 and showed they know how to speak that language. I know I ended up buying a WiiU yesterday and as a hardcore gamer am seeing for myself that the system actually doesn't deserve half the crap that's been thrown at it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the social features are a bit more fresh than the tacking on Facebook integration the other two are doing.

#42 Posted by SecretPolice (22047 posts) -

If ya can't dazzle'em with brilliance, baffle'em with bull spit. :P

#43 Posted by Animal-Mother (26939 posts) -

lol balance to the industry. How can you bring balance when you have 6+ million sold in 3 years? When you hardly release games? When you can't garner the support of other developers?

#44 Posted by drummerdave9099 (705 posts) -

There's way too many games right now that are just guns and blades, it's starting to get dull for me.

But then you run into the Nintendo problem as well, there's too many platformers.

I wish we could have a more even balance

#45 Edited by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

@Animal-Mother: not only are your numbers obscenely, comically, hyperbolically wrong, and some of your assertions simply factually incorrect, but if you, I don't know, would just read the OP, you would see that he is not talking about sales at all, but about the kinds of games Nintendo outputs.

#46 Edited by Animal-Mother (26939 posts) -

@charizard1605: Really? Comically wrong?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-sales-reach-6-17-million-as-nintendo-reveals-best-selling-games-to-date/1100-6419486/

Also my statements are not incorrect. Nintendo has released ONE first party game this year for the Wii-U MK8.

Also i'm not looking at the games I read your OP and am talking about the general idea that nintendo does absolutely not balance the games industry.

Also going on 2 years. big whoop. PS4 outsold the Wii-U in less than 6 months.

#47 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5220 posts) -

@charizard1605: Why is it every single post you make is absurdly wrong on every level known to man? Elaborate on this please...

#48 Posted by charizard1605 (57604 posts) -

@Animal-Mother: and now I hope you will explain to me how 13 months equals three years. OR why you are continuing to dodge the point of this thread by bringing up something totally irrelevant.

#49 Edited by Animal-Mother (26939 posts) -

@charizard1605: I fixed it. But it is relevant. How can you bring balance with games when you release less than 5 titles title a year? When you can hardly penetrate the market with such fierce competition.It's been 7 months. Two games has come out for the Wii-U from nintendo proper.

Luckily we get three this year!

#50 Posted by Alcapello (947 posts) -

That would mean there is an inbalance in there somewhere, which is most likely caused by xbox....Sorry lemmings, but it time to thank nintendo