Yogcast take half a mil from gamers - run with money

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

From what that irish gamespot man person said apparently the two yogcast youtubers left the developer man in the shit and disassociated themselves to try make him take all the blame. Truly the heroes we deserve, the dark shites.

It seems that the Yogs mob ruined this guys life, his wife even filed for divorce!

http://forums.yogscast.com/showthread.php?135485-current-status-of-yogventures

Hi everyone,

I can't make any official statements about Yogventures or what is going to happen in the future, but I may be able to shed a little light on what happened to myself and Winterkewl Games.

For all official information please contact The Yogscast at

yogventures@yogscast.com

The Yogscast have been given full ownership of all things Yogventures including all work that's been done up to this point, code, art, project files etc.

For now, I will dispel what I can of the rumor mill though some details are unfortunately going to have to wait for official word from The Yogscast themselves.

So, no one in my family died. I didn't die. My company Winterkewl Games will unfortunately, probably need to go out of business and possibly file for bankruptcy if things get much worse though.

Working on Yogventures was an amazing experience and everyone at Winterkewl Games really wanted to achieve the very lofty goals the game set out to do, but lack of experience in planning and managing a project of this scope proved too much for our little team. As you know we had a total of 6 people working on the project, Winterkewl Games was started to make Yogventures and while every member of the team worked tirelessly to make that a reality, in the end there was simply too much work to do on our own. After the Yogscast have made an official announcement regarding their future plans for the game we will put out a detailed spreadsheet showing where all the funds from the Kickstarter were spent as well as the amounts that I personally invested once those funds ran out.

We always knew that we were going to need to partially fund development ourselves so the lost money is not in any way regretable, however without pre-orders to help offset those costs, eventually, after I had invested innumerable hours and over $25,000.00 of my own money in the game, we had to admit that without more funding we couldn't afford to keep the game going on our own.

I can't speak for the Yogscast and I make no claims that I do, for their own reasons they decided the game wasn't up to the quality they needed it to be to make videos supporting our pre-order business model. That was and is their prerogative and we had no way of influencing that decision other than making the game as best we could with what we had to work with. As I said, we missed milestone after milestone and continued to come up short of the quality expectations and thus the Yogscast didn't want to advertise the pre-orders until it did meet those expectations.

I tried to cut all costs and continue the development even after the heavy losses of 2013 but the stress of trying to work full time and be full time on the game ultimately caused me to ruin my relationship with my wife, and she filed for divorce because I was so obsessed with finishing this game that she couldn't take not seeing me anymore. When the divorce began I suffered a bit of a crisis personally and had to take a medical leave of absence from work. I almost lost my job too.

I'm deeply sorry that despite our best efforts we never reached a level of play-ability that inspired enough confidence from not only the community but even the Yogscast themselves. This is my fault, I agreed to every feature request we got because I didn't want to lose the opportunity. I wanted so badly to make this project a reality I ignored the real-world risks to the point that I almost lost everything and worst of all I let you all down.

I wish more than anything I would have had this fore-knowledge before we ever began this project. If we would have limited the scope and made a solid plan for working more closely with the Yogscast I have every faith this project would have been a real stand-out achievement in the Indie Game world. However, if you promise the world and don't take into account the amount of time and resources you really need to make good on those promises you find yourself in a position where you can't move forward without more funds but you can't generate more funds without moving forward. That's what happened and I had to make the call that it's for the good of the project that we at Winterkewl step aside and allow the game to be taken over by a larger team. That's why we have turned everything over to the Yogscast. With their resources and connections in the gaming world, I still believe this game could be really great.

As I say though, I no longer speak either for the Yogscast or Yogventures, you'll need to contact them and wait for them to be able to sort out what their own plan going forward will be. They trusted us to be able to handle this development and we let them down just as much as we let you down. That fault is totally my own. I honestly believed everything would go to plan, and to be honest, almost nothing actually did.

I'm very sorry to have disappointed, working for you the backers was the most rewarding thing I've ever attempted, and it's also the only project I've ever attempted that we were un-able to finish. I sincerely hope that the project will live on and that Yogventures will one day be a reality as the Yogscast and this great community have a real opportunity that could be something really great.

Thank you all very much for the support, community, and resources to have attempted such a great project. I'm deeply sorry to have let you all down.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#52 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This is just one of the few (or many depending on how you look at it) Backer Projects that just went wrong.

There are plenty of Backer Projects that get it right like Shovel Knight and Divinity Original Sin, but like what they all say, It only takes one bad Apple to ruin the bunch.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

This is just one of the few (or many depending on how you look at it) Backer Projects that just went wrong.

There are plenty of Backer Projects that get it right like Shovel Knight and Divinity Original Sin, but like what they all say, It only takes one bad Apple to ruin the bunch.

Um I'm not sure that idiom applies here. Not like it ruins the excellent games that are already out, nor is it going to stop people from using crowdfunding.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 clyde46

@Vaasman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Um I'm not sure that idiom applies here. Not like it ruins the excellent games that are already out, nor is it going to stop people from using crowdfunding.

It will make people more weary of it or at least it should do. The Yogs mob are rolling in it and now they've hung this poor chap out to dry, destroying his relationship with his wife, bankrupted his company. They have effectively washed their hands of this project and are doing very little to actually try to smooth things over with the community. All they are offering is access to another Early Access game on Steam that they jumped into bed with.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

From what that irish gamespot man person said apparently the two yogcast youtubers left the developer man in the shit and disassociated themselves to try make him take all the blame. Truly the heroes we deserve, the dark shites.

It seems that the Yogs mob ruined this guys life, his wife even filed for divorce!

Jesus, that's just depressing to read.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LegatoSkyheart

@DJ-Lafleur said:

@clyde46 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Jesus, that's just depressing to read.

Man that guy has it bad. I hope things get better for him.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Vaasman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It will make people more weary of it or at least it should do.

People gave 60 grand to someone for making himself a potato salad, you really think everyone is suddenly going to be cautious about funding kickstarter projects?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LegatoSkyheart

@Vaasman said:

People gave 60 grand to someone for making himself a potato salad, you really think everyone is suddenly going to be cautious about funding kickstarter projects?

Yet That dude might actually deliver unlike Yogcast.

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59  Edited By ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

It a kickstarter for supporting the dev... failure is further things you should be accounting about.. instead its an expected reaction to get negativity and so stop with accepting high risk failure... rate and defending when some comments negatively...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I love how they feel they have no responsibility

"Hey, the developer stopped working on this game. We don't owe you anything, but at least we are kind enough to give you another game"

Gee, thanks...

@freedomfreak said:

It's why I don't do Kickstarter. And I'm not saying all projects end up screwing you over. I just prefer to spend money on something that's finished.

Kickstarting something seems like pre-ordering but with way more risk and with knowing way less about the game or if it'll be anything good.

So it's not something I would see myself do.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

@Flubbbs said:

thats why the only kickstarters ive ever backed were from known developers... Obsidian, Richard Garriott and Larion Studios

Yet, let's all cherry pick this as an example of how awful kickstarter is. Despite many kickstarter successes in the past.

To be fair, though. This game wouldnt have gotten anywhere without Yogscasts' endorsement.

Even the ones from well known developers can turn out complete crap

Look at Godus

"the grand return of God games"

LMAO, it's a boring clickfest made for smartphones

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Everyone who uses Kickstarter knows the risks. I personally have only donated to a handful of games, not only because I like them, but because they're being made by experienced developers. Shroud of the Avatar, Star Citizen, and Pillar of Eternity are all being made by names that I trust.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Kickstarting something seems like pre-ordering but with way more risk and with knowing way less about the game or if it'll be anything good.

So it's not something I would see myself do.

The problem is that it's not and people just don't seem to get it. You're not investing, you're not preordering. You're donating. It;s like mecenate.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#64 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@b4x said:

The video game Pyramid scheme.

Didn't see that coming. :D

And it's twin brother "early access."

Agreed for both.

What about Greelight?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@b4x said:

The video game Pyramid scheme.

Didn't see that coming. :D

And it's twin brother "early access."

Agreed for both.

What about Greelight?

IDK, I don't agree with getting investment from us, because we can't trust these guys. When they get proper investments, those companies will kick their ass if they try to screw them over, we can't do anything but enjoy feeling hustled.

And I think 'early access' takes the piss. It's paying full price and doing the testing on the product as well. They should pay us for that or offer us the game half price or something for doing that.

Green light, I'm not too sure. I don't know too much about it tbh.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#66 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

What did anyone expect them to do with a half million? Star Citizen raised $35 million and they are still dragging ass.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 clyde46

@Vaasman said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vaasman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It will make people more weary of it or at least it should do.

Alas, I forgot about the stupidlty the human race possess.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@airshocker: In this case, it is fraudulent activity that should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@airshocker: In this case, it is fraudulent activity that should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

No, it's not. It's a failed project.