Yet another 3DS game 7.5'd

• 195 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

Super Paper Mario Sticker star review is in link

Gamespot be hat'n dem handhelds

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

3DS has no games confirmed.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#4 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

ITT:

Getting stuck is no fun at allReview

YOU JUST SUCK AT IT

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

You're so right. A game that is scored as "good" must be a piece of flaming dog crap right? Gamespot is sooo biased, I swear :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Seems fair to me. Looks like they changed some things for the sake of hanging them. Still a worthwhile game. It's been long enough though. I hope Nintendo sees fit to give us another TTYD on Wii U.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Kind of expected considering earlier reviews. And honestly I can't say that the cons don't bother me. When IGN said that you needed a specific sticker for specific moments, like you need to warm something but can't use a match, lighter, but need a heater and if you make the wrong choice you lose the sticker and the right one could be anywhere...that sounds horrible. The bland setting, and lack of RPG elements dissapoint me also.

I will not be buying this for a while.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Also what disappoints me is the lack of creativity in the locations. This in my opinion (and the characters) made TTYD easily the best paper mario, and one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Rogueport, The mystery of the train, Boggly woods, and glitzville, just made the game amazing to play through.

I wish this would have more than just plains, forest, snow, mountain, lava.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Kid Icarus got a 7.5 as well and I ended up loving that game (despite some control/camera issues), so whatevs.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
so apparently this game gets panned for making you explore and not holding your hand. That actually sounds awesome
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Also what disappoints me is the lack of creativity in the locations. This in my opinion (and the characters) made TTYD easily the best paper mario, and one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Rogueport, The mystery of the train, Boggly woods, and glitzville, just made the game amazing to play through.

I wish this would have more than just plains, forest, snow, mountain, lava.

Jolt_counter119
Maybe they do?
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Flop?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shinobishyguy
Alright so I'm reading the review...wow this certainly doesn't sound like a 7.5, hell it sounds like the reviewer loved it. Must be the standard .5 deduction rate for being a handheld game
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts
...GS, you are indeed the WORST source for reviews I've ever seen. I don't even like Mario games but what you listed in The Bad. No, just no.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Alright so I'm reading the review...wow this certainly doesn't sound like a 7.5, hell it sounds like the reviewer loved it. Must be the standard .5 deduction rate for being a handheld gameShinobishyguy

It read like more of an 8.5 but the complaints are valid. Why the hell is there no leveling up in this game?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Alright so I'm reading the review...wow this certainly doesn't sound like a 7.5, hell it sounds like the reviewer loved it. Must be the standard .5 deduction rate for being a handheld gameActicEdge

It read like more of an 8.5 but the complaints are valid. Why the hell is there no leveling up in this game?

most likely to encourage exploration and sidequesting. Apparently you can find hp upgrades and get them as quest rewards.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Alright so I'm reading the review...wow this certainly doesn't sound like a 7.5, hell it sounds like the reviewer loved it. Must be the standard .5 deduction rate for being a handheld gameActicEdge

Ultimately it works the same, as you progress you get better stickers as opposed to becoming more powerful. I think the argument about battles feeling meaningless at times is probably valid though.
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]so apparently this game gets panned for making you explore and not holding your hand. That actually sounds awesome

Reviews are strange these days with handhelds. Vita and 3DS have had alot of bad scored games because of quick play stuff. Dev's make games for a handheld then GS/IGN review them like its supposed to be a console game.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="PCgameruk"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]so apparently this game gets panned for making you explore and not holding your hand. That actually sounds awesome

Reviews are strange these days with handhelds. Vita and 3DS have had alot of bad scored games because of quick play stuff. Dev's make games for a handheld then GS/IGN review them like its supposed to be a console game.

unless if it's like a direct port or something I agree that it doesn't make sense to judge it like that. But then again I think most people tend to ignore GS reviews when it comes to handhelds in general.
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

Flop?

Thefatness16
Small flop, it was hyped AA.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cherokee_Jack

Oh hey guys, I found the parts of the review that explain the reviewer's complaints in detail.

They're easy to miss because you have to scroll past the big number.

Mario's cheery outlook is contagious, and you'll often be happy to accompany him on his latest adventure, but it's easy to find yourself stuck for extended periods, during which the joy gives way to frustration. In the end, however, happiness triumphs over all else; it's worth sticking through the tough spots with Paper Mario and seeing this adventure reach its cheery conclusion.

[...]

But the hunt for the right thing sticker can also bring the game to a halt. To defeat a boss, for instance, you might need the aid of a specific thing sticker, but it's entirely possible that you missed the thing you need when you passed through the stage where it's located. Kersti has basic advice to offer you in some situations, but in dilemmas like this, she has nothing useful to say. This leaves you with no option but to return to stages you've already completed, playing them again and again, trying to be sure to leave no rock unhammered and no screen unpaperized, lest you miss the thing you so desperately need.

Exploring stages in search of things and secrets as you make your way through the game is enjoyable. There are many well-hidden rooms, and stumbling upon them carries with it a pleasing sense of discovery. But hitting a brick wall in your progress and needing to find a thing that could be in a number of places makes this normally cheerful adventure an irritating exercise. The joys of your quest outweigh its frustrations, but blemishes like this do hold Sticker Star back from greatness.

[...]

However, one aspect of Sticker Star's structure makes combat feel less meaningful here than it often does in RPGs. Unlike in other Paper Mario games, there are no experience points to be earned here, no levels to acquire. Hearts you periodically find increase your maximum number of hit points, but aside from this, Mario's power never goes up. Defeating an enemy might reward you with some coins and maybe a sticker or two, but it also costs you stickers. As a result, there's often little incentive to fight those enemies who aren't directly in your path, aside from the fun of fighting, and that can wear off when you're fighting koopa paratroopas for the 25th time and could nail the attack timing with your eyes closed. You can always try avoiding enemies if you don't fancy a fight--they typically dash at you when they spot you but can be eluded--but you still find yourself in too many battles with enemies who are no longer interesting to fight, and without the reward of XP, these interludes can feel like pointless interruptions of your progress.

[...]

Sticker Star falls into a rut at times and may even drive you crazy, but in the end, Paper Mario's unwaveringly cheerful attitude, and fond memories of the game's many great moments, will be what stays with you.

Review

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Kid Icarus got a 7.5 as well and I ended up loving that game (despite some control/camera issues), so whatevs.

DJ-Lafleur
Kid Icarus got 8
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

charizard1605

Kid Icarus got 8

D'oh

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jonwh18

Oh hey guys, I found the parts of the review that explain the reviewer's complaints in detail.

[quote="Review"]But the hunt for the right thing sticker can also bring the game to a halt. To defeat a boss, for instance, you might need the aid of a specific thing sticker, but it's entirely possible that you missed the thing you need when you passed through the stage where it's located. Kersti has basic advice to offer you in some situations, but in dilemmas like this, she has nothing useful to say. This leaves you with no option but to return to stages you've already completed, playing them again and again, trying to be sure to leave no rock unhammered and no screen unpaperized, lest you miss the thing you so desperately need.

Exploring stages in search of things and secrets as you make your way through the game is enjoyable. There are many well-hidden rooms, and stumbling upon them carries with it a pleasing sense of discovery. But hitting a brick wall in your progress and needing to find a thing that could be in a number of places makes this normally cheerful adventure an irritating exercise. The joys of your quest outweigh its frustrations, but blemishes like this do hold Sticker Star back from greatness.

[...]

However, one aspect of Sticker Star's structure makes combat feel less meaningful here than it often does in RPGs. Unlike in other Paper Mario games, there are no experience points to be earned here, no levels to acquire. Hearts you periodically find increase your maximum number of hit points, but aside from this, Mario's power never goes up. Defeating an enemy might reward you with some coins and maybe a sticker or two, but it also costs you stickers. As a result, there's often little incentive to fight those enemies who aren't directly in your path, aside from the fun of fighting, and that can wear off when you're fighting koopa paratroopas for the 25th time and could nail the attack timing with your eyes closed. You can always try avoiding enemies if you don't fancy a fight--they typically dash at you when they spot you but can be eluded--but you still find yourself in too many battles with enemies who are no longer interesting to fight, and without the reward of XP, these interludes can feel like pointless interruptions of your progress.

[...]

Sticker Star falls into a rut at times and may even drive you crazy, but in the end, Paper Mario's unwaveringly cheerful attitude, and fond memories of the game's many great moments, will be what stays with you.

Cherokee_Jack

:roll: a likely story

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Handheld games flopping like crazy lately. I've never played a Paper Mario yet even though I own the Gamecube & Wii versions but I'm going to start with this one.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shinobishyguy

[quote="Review"]Mario's cheery outlook is contagious, and you'll often be happy to accompany him on his latest adventure, but it's easy to find yourself stuck for extended periods, during which the joy gives way to frustration. In the end, however, happiness triumphs over all else; it's worth sticking through the tough spots with Paper Mario and seeing this adventure reach its cheery conclusion.

[...]

But the hunt for the right thing sticker can also bring the game to a halt. To defeat a boss, for instance, you might need the aid of a specific thing sticker, but it's entirely possible that you missed the thing you need when you passed through the stage where it's located. Kersti has basic advice to offer you in some situations, but in dilemmas like this, she has nothing useful to say. This leaves you with no option but to return to stages you've already completed, playing them again and again, trying to be sure to leave no rock unhammered and no screen unpaperized, lest you miss the thing you so desperately need.

[...]

[...]

Cherokee_Jack

I wonder if they mean that you NEED the sticker to beat the boss or if it simply makes it easier. i remember having to take down hooktail in TTYD without the cricket badge. I actually managed to pull it off though
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cherokee_Jack
:roll: a likely storyJonwh18
So, how do you like the game so far?
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

The score seems undeserved. I get the complaints, but it shouldn't be that low if it's mostly an enjoyable game.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]:roll: a likely storyCherokee_Jack

I'm just saying, the reliablity for gamespot concrning handheld games has reached zero.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ-Lafleur

The score seems undeserved. I get the complaints, but it shouldn't be that low if it's mostly an enjoyable game.

Big_Pecks

7.5 still says a game can be enjoyable, it just has some flaws.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SaltyMeatballs

Big_Pecks
You can enjoy a game with few flaws, but it doesn't mean it should get higher scores. 7.5 is good on GS anyway. 7.5 on IGN... yeah probably not a good game. Anything lower on IGN then the reviewer has a personal grudge against the game (or for hits).
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Big_Pecks

A mostly enjoyable game with only a few complaints is a good game right?

Well that's exactly the score it got. A 7.5 = good.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

7.5 is a great score.

TC, you should be ashamed.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]I wonder if they mean that you NEED the sticker to beat the boss or if it simply makes it easier. i remember having to take down hooktail in TTYD without the cricket badge. I actually managed to pull it off thoughSlashkice

From what I've seen of other reviews, it's been compared to LucasArts adventure games. In other words, you need the specific solution the developer intended even if other solutions make sense to you as a player.

Those are puzzles, I'm talking about the boss battles.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

7.5 is a great score.

platniumgamer
Not in System Wars it isn't. Anything less then 8 is mediocore.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="platniumgamer"]

7.5 is a great score.

FlamesOfGrey

Not in System Wars it isn't. Anything less then 8 is mediocore.

As dumb as that ideology is, I have to be fair to SWers and put some blame on GS for being so lenient with their scoring before.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Big_Pecks

I personally don't find 7.5 good. More edging into mediocre territory. Then again, I don't really believe in any reviews here anyway.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"]:roll: a likely storyJonwh18

I'm just saying, the reliablity for gamespot concrning handheld games has reached zero.

Reliability, as in being a reliable source of scores you like?

I tend to gauge reliability by how fair and well-reasoned a source's critique is in hindsight after I play the game in question, not by how well the score matches up with my hype level, but that's just me.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DJ-Lafleur

I personally don't find 7.5 good. More edging into mediocre territory. Then again, I don't really believe in any reviews here anyway.

Big_Pecks

0-7.5 = bad/mediocre

8.0-10 = good

That makes so much sense...

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Big_Pecks

[QUOTE="Big_Pecks"]

DJ-Lafleur

0-7.5 = bad/mediocre

8.0-10 = good

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

More like
0-5.5 generally bad
6-7.5 mediocre
8-8.5 good
9-9.5 great
10 perfect

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Those are puzzles, I'm talking about the boss battles.Slashkice

They follow the same logic. You don't have the right sticker, you don't win.

so what, are the bosses completely invincible until you use that sticker or can you still deal a little bit of damage?
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Big_Pecks"]

DJ-Lafleur

0-7.5 = bad/mediocre

8.0-10 = good

well before there was basically a 0-2.5 rating system with .5 only it was disguised as 7.5-10. 7.5 is rather medicore. The problem is they need consistancy which they don't have at all as of right now.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="Big_Pecks"]

Jonwh18

0-7.5 = bad/mediocre

8.0-10 = good

well before there was basically a 0-2.5 rating system with .5 only it was disguised as 7.5-10. 7.5 is rather medicore. The problem is they need consistancy which they don't have at all as of right now.

pretty much. it seems like it's mainly handheld games that get hammered with fairly low scores and they turn around and go "oh it's not a bad score guys" And then for big console releases they go back to the same 7-10 scale that every other site uses
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

0-7.5 = bad/mediocre

8.0-10 = good

Shinobishyguy

pretty much. it seems like it's mainly handheld games that get hammered with fairly low scores and they turn around and go "oh it's not a bad score guys" And then for big console releases they go back to the same 7-10 scale that every other site uses

yeah and big name games with advertising never drop below 8.5 unless Gamespot is trolling for hits like RE6

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
they need reviewers who know how to play games and not get stuck.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Not surprised. It may be an ok game but its a crappy Paper Mario game.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

They seem really harsh on portable titles recently.