XONE vs. PS4 To soon to tell which is truly better

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by ObxChillin (116 posts) -

What do you think? Are you for-certain that the PS4 is better, or do you think time will tell with games like Destiny, The Witcher 3 and ESO coming out on both consoles and see how they run? tell me what you think and why.

#2 Posted by Mystery_Writer (7880 posts) -

Controller X1, everything else PS4

#3 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

So man Lem alts Jesus. This is Evo_nine's alt who is likely also an alt himself.

#4 Posted by Shielder7 (5048 posts) -

Controller X1, everything else PS4

Yeah can't beat those AA batteries.

In all seriousness tho lets just say MS has a lot of catching up to do.

#5 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

So man Lem alts Jesus. This is Evo_nine's alt who is likely also an alt himself.

well they have to catch up with all those cow alts

#6 Posted by Chutebox (36397 posts) -

Ps4 is a better console spec wise. Not debatable

#7 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9671 posts) -

I have both....so far I like the X1 better

#8 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

I already know. The PS4 is better.

#9 Edited by Sushiglutton (5191 posts) -

Not at all. Ps4 simply has better hardware and the difference is so significant that it can't be overcomed. With such similar architecture there is zero chance the X1 will have technically better versions of multiplats (unless ofc some dev screws up big).

#10 Edited by lglz1337 (3113 posts) -

stahp it!!

PS4 is the most powerfull console end of story!

#11 Edited by cainetao11 (16449 posts) -

Now that I've gotten hands on with both controllers (thank Rob) I prefer the x1 controller. The ds4 is fine, but honestly I liked the ds3 better. I also prefer the 360to x1, but the x1 fits my hands better than ps4. All else is what we read all the Time. PS4 edge in graphics, but if you like the potential games for either console, try to get both.

#12 Posted by KBFloYd (12875 posts) -

thats the case for me...im still undecided. id like to see what the steamboxs have to offer also.

#13 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23410 posts) -

lol, too early to tell?

you are on sw.

people here had a definitive opinion of which was better that they would never change under any circumstances ten years ago.

#14 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

overall I say they are the same. psr may have the power, psr sure did inprove their controller and is on equel grounds on that part.

games out right now is about the same. sony got cool sp game coming while ms got cool mp game coming right around the corner.

there is pros

#15 Edited by blackace (19996 posts) -

@ObxChillin:

Time will tell. You gotta give it at least a couple years, because we know both consoles will improve over time. It has happened with pretty much every console, including older game consoles like the SNES and Genesis. Somewhere between 2-4 yrs we'll definitely know what these systems can really do. Don't even bother listening to devs like Crytek who claim they are already close to maxing out the PS4 and XB1. They're not. There were devs who said the same thing about the XBox 360 and PS3 after the first 2 years and they were completely wrong.

Games 2-3 yrs from now will look miles better then the launch titles we are currently seeing. Wait and see.

Not at all. Ps4 simply has better hardware and the difference is so significant that it can't be overcomed. With such similar architecture there is zero chance the X1 will have technically better versions of multiplats (unless ofc some dev screws up big).

You know nothing about game consoles. You'll learn soon enough. lol!!

#16 Posted by Sagemode87 (788 posts) -

I have both....so far I like the PS4 better

#17 Posted by Sushiglutton (5191 posts) -

@blackace said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Both consoles have similar architecture, but the Ps4 specs are simply better (GDDR5 vs DDR3 (higher system memory bandwith), 1,84 Tflops vs 1.31 TFlops peak shader throughput, 18 CU vs 12 CU). Please explain how you expect these differences to magically disappear in the future! Typically the opposite is true in technology. The more knowledge you have the more you can leverage differences.

#18 Edited by edwardecl (1950 posts) -

Better in what way?

Hardware Specs = PS4
TV = Xbox One *Unless you live in a European country then you have the 50hz problem.
Controller = Debatable
UI = Debatable *Can change
Online Services = Debatable *Can change
Camera/Voice = Xbox One
Multi-Plats = PS4 *Doubt this will change due to specs
Exclusives = Debatable as always
Number of devs = PS4
Initial Price = PS4

Really does depend what you want a console for, but assuming you want to play games on it, the PS4 has the edge.

#19 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Are you trying to imply the Xbox One will ever have technically better versions of multiplats of the PS4?

His statement was perfectly correct. 1080p vs 720p truly is significant and from a technical standpoint, in theory the Xbox One will never ever achieve parity on multiplats that utilize each console's respective hardware is the most efficient manner possible.

#20 Edited by Boddicker (2381 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

Ps4 is a better console spec wise. Not debatable

This is only debatable to hardcore lems in extreme denial. I think most of them have swallowed that bitter pill. A shame it's not like the PS3 vs 360 debate that actually remained valid throughout the gen.

I suppose TC is talking about software and OS functionality. You're right, TC. It will take atleast 2-3 years into this gen before we can make up our minds. Even then there will be contention lol.

#21 Edited by darkangel115 (1468 posts) -

there will never be one that is better. even 8 years past in last gen, nobody agrees whether the 360 or PS3 is better. its all people's personal opinions being passed off as facts

#22 Posted by Shewgenja (8293 posts) -

For game engines using differed rendering, the XBone is going to have its dick chopped off and fed to it by the PS4 because the amount of on-die memory is too small for a proper 1080p framebuffers assets.

#23 Posted by edwardecl (1950 posts) -

The Xbox One will never have a better multiplat game (graphically). If you think otherwise you are deluded.

It's not like we are comparing apples and oranges, the two systems main components (CPU/GPU) are made and designed (to a certain extent) by the same company and are based off of very similar architecture and support the same features. The only difference is the Xbox One GPU is a bit weaker with and with less compute units. The RAM speed might also even bottleneck the power the Xbox One has. There is not a single component you can say is better unless you start talking about HDMI inputs.

#24 Posted by Sushiglutton (5191 posts) -

there will never be one that is better. even 8 years past in last gen, nobody agrees whether the 360 or PS3 is better. its all people's personal opinions being passed off as facts

No, in the case of Ps4 vs X1, it's technical facts passed off as facts.

#25 Posted by darkangel115 (1468 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

so which is better the PS3 or 360? i mean they are 8 years old. someone has to have factual evidence right? I mean all the MPs ran better on the 360 so was the 360 better? i bet cows would beg to differ, why? probably TLOU, UC2 and 3, KZ 2 and 3, God of war etc... but the lems, they have halo, and gears, but the Cows have the cell, etc etc. its all non sense. and I already know the people here have 0 technical knowledge and have no idea how to understand machine performance

#26 Edited by Sushiglutton (5191 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

so which is better the PS3 or 360? i mean they are 8 years old. someone has to have factual evidence right? I mean all the MPs ran better on the 360 so was the 360 better? i bet cows would beg to differ, why? probably TLOU, UC2 and 3, KZ 2 and 3, God of war etc... but the lems, they have halo, and gears, but the Cows have the cell, etc etc. its all non sense. and I already know the people here have 0 technical knowledge and have no idea how to understand machine performance

I don't know. Ps3 and Xbox360 had different architectures and strengths in different areas just as you described.

But the situation for Ps4 vs X1 is not the same. They are both built by off the shelve parts (third party manufacteurer) with similar architecture. It's just that Ps4 has better specs. This means that they are trivial to compare and the Ps4 comes out on top. Denying this is plain silly.

#27 Posted by darkangel115 (1468 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

I don't know. Ps3 and Xbox360 had different architectures and strengths in different areas just as you described.

But the situation for Ps4 vs X1 is not the same. They are both built by off the shelve parts (third party manufacteurer) with similar architecture. It's just that Ps4 has better specs. This means that they are trivial to compare and the Ps4 comes out on top. Denying this is plain silly.

except your wrong, once again the PS4 and X1 have different strengths and weaknesses, they are not built from off the shelf parts. they both have a custom API from AMD. They have different ways of handling audio and video, different ways of handling programs, different drivers, different OS's etc etc. They are still extremely hard to judge w/o having a very good knowledge of the systems and computers. a knowledge that people here do not have.

#28 Edited by Sushiglutton (5191 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

except your wrong, once again the PS4 and X1 have different strengths and weaknesses, they are not built from off the shelf parts. they both have a custom API from AMD. They have different ways of handling audio and video, different ways of handling programs, different drivers, different OS's etc etc. They are still extremely hard to judge w/o having a very good knowledge of the systems and computers. a knowledge that people here do not have.

Difference is too big to compensate with software only.

#29 Posted by darkangel115 (1468 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

comparing what exactly? did you break down every component? the audio processors, video processors, CPUs, GPUs, RAM, "extra memory" find bottle necks? find out the inefficiency of each item? find out the heat and how performance drops under certain temps? Its like comparing a mustang to a lotus, the mustang is all in the engine, while the lotus with the smaller engine is just as capable due to better design, lower weight, better handling etc etc. its just 2 different ways to attack 1 problem. But until you take them both around a bunch of tracks, how can you declare one a winner?

#30 Posted by Couth_ (9973 posts) -

Lemons still in denial mode after facts broken down in the simplest ways, and multiplat desparity.. It's not that big of a deal to have a weaker console.. The PS2 was weakest and still great

At least it's not the Wii U

#31 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (1932 posts) -

I agree! I also have both and right now I am enjoying the Xbox One. I prefer to play CoD on it as XBL is still a more stable online environment than PSN with a much higher quality in game chat set up. I also have to say that so far the X1 controller feels better to me than does the DS4. I think by this time next year, they will be neck and neck as the X1 will go through a price drop first and will have Halo 2 reboot and Titanfall DLC!

#32 Edited by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

@darkangel115: the PS4 is the more powerful console, that is a fact.

In terms of efficiency also, no matter what the Xbox One is a weaker console.

No amount of optimization, software, and GPU upclocks will change that.

Stop trying to be ambiguous in an attempt to seem more knowledgeable than you truly are.

#33 Edited by AzatiS (7097 posts) -

@ObxChillin said:

What do you think? Are you for-certain that the PS4 is better, or do you think time will tell with games like Destiny, The Witcher 3 and ESO coming out on both consoles and see how they run? tell me what you think and why.

PS4 is better on papers and in action as well.

This generation there are no custom chips and fancy technologies. Everything are just traditional , tweaked PC parts. That is making the comparison even more easier.

X1 e struggling to keep decent frame rates on Titanfall on 720p!!!! Why you think it will get any better in a few months or a year or 2?

I dont know what you expecting really ... There is a serious GAP on raw performance GPU and RAM wise.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (29158 posts) -

Stop trying to be ambiguous in an attempt to seem more knowledgeable than you truly are.

So much for the PS3 being the most powerful last gen and all(well,most of them) multiplats were superior on the 360

#35 Edited by kinectthedots (1571 posts) -
@MonsieurX said:

@BlessedChill said:

So much for the PS3 being the most powerful last gen and all(well,most of them) multiplats were superior on the 360

Not even close.

Madden 06, Bayonetta, Skyrim are the only massively superior games xbox360 held over PS3. The fact of the matter is most of the "superior" games on the xbox360 had only a slight resolution advantage or no resolution advantage at all. Also, If there was a frame rate difference, it was only 2 or 3 frames at the most.

The fact of the matter is that Many of the biggest and most demanding multiplatform games on the PS3 ended up equal or even better on the PS3 (example GTA5). The, "superior" differences lemmings liked to brag about last gen are laughable compared to what PS4 is doing over xbone.

Over the whole generation the three games I named were the only major cases of games that were vastly superior on xbox360, but PS4 already has met and 1up'ed that superiorty margin with Call of duty ghosts (1080p vs 720), Tomb Raider (60fps vs 30) and BF4 (900 vs 720) In the first year...hell the first 3 months.

Saying mutiplats on 360 were superior is just false. 360 has more superior multiplats is more accurate.

#36 Edited by blamix99 (1606 posts) -

i don't need an Xbone since my brother and my friends said it's not as GREAT as the PS4.
i only got PC,PS4,PS3,PSV,3DS and Wii and im planning to get a WiiU this may for MarioKart8 and DK. everyone knows that the PS4 is way much better, only loyal fanboys will stick with the Xbone

#37 Posted by SolidTy (42016 posts) -

ITT: M$ PR is testing the waters to map out future PR strategies.

#38 Posted by Sushiglutton (5191 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@darkangel115 said:

comparing what exactly? did you break down every component? the audio processors, video processors, CPUs, GPUs, RAM, "extra memory" find bottle necks? find out the inefficiency of each item? find out the heat and how performance drops under certain temps? Its like comparing a mustang to a lotus, the mustang is all in the engine, while the lotus with the smaller engine is just as capable due to better design, lower weight, better handling etc etc. its just 2 different ways to attack 1 problem. But until you take them both around a bunch of tracks, how can you declare one a winner?

If you had to estimate the chance that the Ps4 is more powerful than the X1, what would it be (in percentage)?

#39 Edited by lundy86_4 (42805 posts) -

In terms of everything? It's hard to tell. The PS4 seems like the big guy this time. Still, I have a feeling it will be equal footing again.

#40 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9671 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

I agree! I also have both and right now I am enjoying the Xbox One. I prefer to play CoD on it as XBL is still a more stable online environment than PSN with a much higher quality in game chat set up. I also have to say that so far the X1 controller feels better to me than does the DS4. I think by this time next year, they will be neck and neck as the X1 will go through a price drop first and will have Halo 2 reboot and Titanfall DLC!

I know the PS4 has better specs but the X1 just seems more "next-gen" to me.

#41 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

thats the case for me...im still undecided. id like to see what the steamboxs have to offer also.

Steambox is a PC so what is there to know?

#42 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@BlessedChill said:

I agree with this, but PS4 shits all over Xflop so who cares. Lems had the laughs last gen now Xbox is the joke. PS3 at least had the better looking exclusives. Ryse gets some attention now as great looking game, but I seriously doubt Xflop exclusives even come close to parity once some of the more ambitious games get released. Halo 5 at 60fps...would love to see what that will look like(720p or 900p at best).

@KBFloYd said:

Steambox is a PC so what is there to know?

#43 Edited by Mkavanaugh77 (20731 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

stahp it!!

PS4 is the most powerfull console end of story!

Which is better,not more powerful.

Both look average at this point, really is no better right now imo.

Need alot more time to decide that.

#44 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

@blackace said:

@ObxChillin:

Time will tell. You gotta give it at least a couple years, because we know both consoles will improve over time. It has happened with pretty much every console, including older game consoles like the SNES and Genesis. Somewhere between 2-4 yrs we'll definitely know what these systems can really do. Don't even bother listening to devs like Crytek who claim they are already close to maxing out the PS4 and XB1. They're not. There were devs who said the same thing about the XBox 360 and PS3 after the first 2 years and they were completely wrong.

Games 2-3 yrs from now will look miles better then the launch titles we are currently seeing. Wait and see.

@Sushiglutton said:

exactly what did he say implies he knows nothing about consoles?

#45 Posted by crazywitchbitch (27 posts) -

Your Mother!

#46 Edited by darkangel115 (1468 posts) -

@Sushiglutton:

I'd say it's a toss up and that the power difference is insignificant.

#47 Posted by Krelian-co (10208 posts) -

Just you wait! (tm) Lems

#48 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15912 posts) -

Playstation 4: $100 cheaper, 50% more TF.

I think we're done, here.

#49 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1668 posts) -

lol system wars 2014 threads. who mentally ok thinks witcher 3 gonna run better on xbone than ps4? hhhh

#50 Edited by kipsta77 (910 posts) -

It's about the games at the end of the day.

Xbox was more powerful then PS2.... And the PS2, being the 'weaker' console, not only came out on top, but is the best selling console ever.

I'm not favouring Xbox, personally I'd rather buy a PS4 than X1 if I was forced to choose one, however don't be ignorant and blind.

Content = King