Xenoblade Chronicles is the evolution that JRPGS need.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by insanewolfninja (4919 posts) -

I have been playing for 40 hours and this game has the most charm and heart I have ever experienced. Characters are not angsty scared emo kids. They are optimistic and real people who you come to love and journey with.
optimisim is sorely missing in many stories in the medium and xenoblade does a great job reminding me anything is possible which its release in america shows that. Its the game proves anything is possible.
And the vast level designs and art direction on the wii is astonishing how they pulled such a feat off no one knows. But i can say this there is no longer a excuse for why a game on the wii including zelda skyward shouldnt have bigger or more dense level designs.

And the soundtrack is sublime I get pumped when I hear you will know our name during a boss.

Best jrpg since FFX imo just my opinion what do others think

#2 Edited by freedomfreak (38738 posts) -

I wish Nintendo would put it on the WiiU eshop

#3 Posted by iambatman7986 (394 posts) -

I wish they would do a reprint and not exclusively to Gamestop so they can't sell me a new game as used for $80.00. Or put it on the Wii U.

#4 Posted by Gue1 (9424 posts) -

to me the game always looked like meh. FFX is another overrated piece of crap... TC, you don't even like good JRPGs, so nothing can be discussed here.

#5 Posted by aroxx_ab (9219 posts) -

Cant be hard be better than FFX, that game sucked imo. But yeah Xenoblade was great :P

#6 Posted by lundy86_4 (42875 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

to me the game always looked like meh. FFX is another overrated piece of crap... TC, you don't even like good JRPGs, so nothing can be discussed here.

Gue, for once, shut the f*ck up, and do one.

#7 Edited by insanewolfninja (4919 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

And since you know very little about me you just defined your self as a pretentious prick. How do you know about my gaming library I have acquired through the years? You dont! I made one example of one title. I have played every star ocean. every kingdom hearts. Every ff from 6 to 12. xenogears, every chrono game. Most of the sqauresoft golden year games.
Star ocean till the end of time comes pretty close.

I also loved radiata stories.

#8 Edited by p3anut (5858 posts) -

I wish they would do a reprint and not exclusively to Gamestop so they can't sell me a new game as used for $80.00. Or put it on the Wii U.

Well Gamestop is going to sell it for $40 @ black friday.

#9 Edited by voljin1987 (687 posts) -

30 hrs in and loving evey minute of it so far.. the locales are seriously jaw dropping.. i feel that this and ff12 had the right idea on how to take jrpgs forward.. square squandered all the innovations they brought forward by releasing 13.. xenoblade is in many ways a refinement of ff12..

#10 Posted by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

And since you know very little about me you just defined your self as a pretentious prick. How do you know about my gaming library I have acquired through the years? You dont! I made one example of one title. I have played every star ocean. every kingdom hearts. Every ff from 6 to 12. xenogears, every chrono game. Most of the sqauresoft golden year games.

Star ocean till the end of time comes pretty close.

I also loved radiata stories.

Radiata stories was a great game. It wasn't a lengthy game for a jrpg, but it was simple and beautiful.

I don't play on the wii a whole lot, but xenoblade is a game that really hits the right notes for me. I really do wish we see more games like it.

#11 Posted by MonsieurX (29239 posts) -

Wish I could get my hand on it without paying a hefty price.

#12 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

Yup best game available on consoles from this generation.

#13 Edited by GhoX (4679 posts) -

I tried getting into it three times. I just can't come to enjoy it.

It's crazy saying this, but that game felt like single-player WoW, with even more asininely boring side quests. Admittedly, I left WoW on poor terms, so the similar gameplay in Xenoblade was a huge turn-off for me. =/

Any tips on how I can enjoy this game?

#14 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

I'm not even sure what JRPGs need any longer. To be honest games like Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story seem ripe for being brought into more modern gaming as they were fairly cutting edge for the genre even back then.

#15 Posted by bbkkristian (14915 posts) -

How far are you into it, TC?

#16 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

@GhoX said:

It's crazy saying this, but that game felt like single-player WoW, with even more asininely boring side quests. Admittedly, I left WoW on poor terms, so the similar gameplay in Xenoblade was a huge turn-off for me. =/

Nah, it's a pretty common sentiment that the side-quests in Xenoblade feel like something out of a bad mmo from the early-2000's. I mean, there are 400 of them and having to sift through all of that bad content to find the true gems will be taxing for any gamer. Some say the pay off is worth it, though. If you couldn't get into the game after trying 3 times then it wasn't meant to be.

#17 Edited by GhoX (4679 posts) -

@GhoX said:

Nah, it's a pretty common sentiment that the side-quests in Xenoblade feel like something out of a bad mmo from the early-2000's. I mean, there are 400 of them and having to sift through all of that bad content to find the true gems will be taxing for any gamer. Some say the pay off is worth it, though. If you couldn't get into the game after trying 3 times then it wasn't meant to be.

Yeah. I really really just want to skip all side quests and play the main story, which sounded interesting.

However, I'm somewhat a compulsive competitionist, so I can't... handle not doing ALL the sidequests. Despite all its merits, I guess Xenoblade just happen to have the perfect combination preventing me from enjoying it. >_<

#18 Edited by TruthArisen (385 posts) -

Wonder Woman responds.

"I would say Ni No Kuni."

#19 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

I want to play it. Is it turn based or action

#20 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

Wonder Woman responds.

If we're only talking the combat system I would be on board with that... if we're talking about the story, plot or characters than hell no.

#21 Edited by bbkkristian (14915 posts) -
@GhoX said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@GhoX said:

Yeah. I really really just want to skip all side quests and play the main story, which sounded interesting.

However, I'm somewhat a compulsive competitionist, so I can't... handle not doing ALL the sidequests. Despite all its merits, I guess Xenoblade just happen to have the perfect combination preventing me from enjoying it. >_<

Ooohhh. Xenoblade is not for completionists. I have played through this game three times and none of them are completed. There are just too many to complete and they barely raise affinity for the towns. So, I recommend just accepting the sidequests when you start the area, then go throughout the game. If you complete too many, you'll be overleveled, and you don't want cakewalk battles, right? Plus, there are literally only a few worthy sidequests that provide real rewards like skill trees and artes. How far are you by the way?

That's what I would do. I feel sorry for those who never got to finish this jewel of a story and video game.

#22 Edited by GhoX (4679 posts) -

I've never made past the first town...

Usually I try to complete everything in the first town before I move on with main story. It... never worked out well for me. Well, I just can't handle having a game semi-complete. It's either all in or nothing for me. =/

#23 Posted by bbkkristian (14915 posts) -

@GhoX: I am so sorry... You would have to use a guide and dedicate over 200-300 hours just to get this a complete game...

#24 Posted by Blabadon (25684 posts) -

Will pick up on Black Friday.

#25 Posted by GhoX (4679 posts) -

If they ever remake it, please make a "Lite version".

#26 Edited by bbkkristian (14915 posts) -
@GhoX said:

If they ever remake it, please make a "Lite version".

Probably why NoA didn't localize it. This game is Massive and filled with text. (and because they underestimate the JRPG audience)

#27 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@GhoX: Not to be an ass, but you can't really fault the game because of your personal tendency towards completion... the game is designed to be enjoyed as thoroughly as possible by people who like getting a lot of value out of their games. Granted, of course the menial sidequests won't appeal to everyone, but the story is designed so that even that will last a really long time. It took me 76 hours and that's with not doing that many side quests... But to each their own.

#28 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@good_sk8er7: It's a lot like MMOs. It's real time with auto attacking. You use skills strategically to take enemies down and inflict status conditions, and instead of there being anything like magic points, you have to wait for the abilities to recharge. That's a very general explanation.

Let's put it this way. It's definitely not turn based.

#29 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

I finished that game with a 98 hour save file and I feel like starting it again. Beside a few flaws, that game is near perfect. I'll buy a Wii U for X.

#30 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

Wish I could get my hand on it without paying a hefty price.

hey look, a non hateful, non negative, non nasty post from Monsieur.

#31 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29078 posts) -

Really wish it were out on the PS3, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Have thought about getting a Wii for it (and a couple other games).

#32 Posted by Minishdriveby (9630 posts) -

@TruthArisen said:

Wonder Woman responds.

If we're only talking the combat system I would be on board with that... if we're talking about the story, plot or characters than hell no.

If were talking about the combat system then I would say "Hell No" too. The only thing Ni No Kuni has going for it is the detailed environments and atmosphere.

#33 Posted by remiks00 (1639 posts) -

Xenoblade was awesome. The Last Story was also awesome. ;)

#34 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6523 posts) -

Nope. Hell nope. Single player MMOs is not what JRPGs need.

#35 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5201 posts) -

Xenoblade's my 3rd favorite Wii game.

#36 Posted by Blackbond (24485 posts) -

Its probably my favorite game of the generation I'm currently replaying it on my PC in 1080P with custom textures ect. Excellent game. Support this developer.

#37 Posted by voljin1987 (687 posts) -

@-RPGamer- said:

@TruthArisen said:

Wonder Woman responds.

If were talking about the combat system then I would say "Hell No" too. The only thing Ni No Kuni has going for it is the detailed environments and atmosphere.

agree.. ni no kuni combat system wasnt anything to talk about.. magic armor is practically useless.. and did anyone go through the trouble of expoiting the type weaknesses.. i just got a dinoceros which basically broke the game.. ni no kuni looks better. thats about it.. overall the world, setting, story and characters are all better in xenoblade.. its not even a contest

#38 Posted by charizard1605 (55555 posts) -

Will the Black Friday thing apply to purchases from their website?

#39 Posted by silversix_ (13917 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma was bizillion times better

#40 Posted by charizard1605 (55555 posts) -

LOL

#41 Posted by silversix_ (13917 posts) -
#42 Posted by charizard1605 (55555 posts) -
#43 Posted by silversix_ (13917 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

LOL

LOLU and your solo MMO

Have you played Xenoblade?

Tried, yes. 'Played', no. Do i want to? No. If this is the right direction of jrpg's then they're all going MMO. Korean grind fest MMO #42424524. The Souls series IS the direction every single JRPG should take, not making them MMO's without the 'massive' and 'multiplayer' in them.

#44 Edited by voljin1987 (687 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

LOL

LOLU and your solo MMO

Tried, yes. 'Played', no. Do i want to? No. If this is the right direction of jrpg's then they're all going MMO. Korean grind fest MMO #42424524. The Souls series IS the direction every single JRPG should take, not making them MMO's without the 'massive' and 'multiplayer' in them.

if you call souls jrpgs then u clearly dont know what jrpgs are

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (55555 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

LOL

LOLU and your solo MMO

The Souls series is not JRPG.

#46 Edited by silversix_ (13917 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

LOL

LOLU and your solo MMO

if you call souls jrpgs then u clearly dont know what jrpgs are

haha its funny because i was the one saying what you're telling me while everyone spammed me "IT IS a jrpg"

#47 Posted by silversix_ (13917 posts) -
#48 Posted by voljin1987 (687 posts) -

@silversix_ really? haha.. i must have missed that.. but yeah imo souls is not a jrpg

#49 Posted by TruthArisen (385 posts) -

Wonder Woman kneads her head.

"Was an excellent game."

#50 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21434 posts) -

I have the game since last year, played for a few minutes and it was cool but never got back to it, i will someday.

Even got Last Story and it's still in the box.