xboxone getting more power?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by gta50419 (333 posts) -

A few months ago i read that new xboxone are coming without kinect that will increase performance.

Any update on that? Will the people who bought first day xbo be able to trade for new ones? How much powerful will they be?

Been off the forums for a while only came back around Since E3 to read news and what new games been announced so excuse my ignorance.

#2 Posted by Scipio8 (614 posts) -

Every Xbox that got the June update will have increased performance if the developers use the June update for their games. It doesn't matter if you have Kinect or not and got nothing to do with Kinect plugged or unplugged from the system

#3 Edited by TheEroica (13241 posts) -

The xone's hidden powers = infinity. Someday in the future they will cure cancer while landing a man on the moon and pluto, simultaneously ... this will be done on the back of the Xbox One.

#4 Posted by gta50419 (333 posts) -
@Scipio8 said:

Every Xbox that got the June update will have increased performance if the developers use the June update for their games. It doesn't matter if you have Kinect or not and got nothing to do with Kinect plugged or unplugged from the system

interesting...guessing that what that long update was

#5 Posted by silversix_ (13912 posts) -

Performance increase inside a potato connected into a toaster does not happen and will never happen.

#6 Posted by SolidTy (42126 posts) -

The Xbone is super powerful now, but it wasn't last month.

They were waiting for the right time to release more power. I think I read that they plan on increasing the power every few months for the next ten years and there won't be another Xbox, this machine will just get more powerful over the years. No future machine will ever catch up to the infinite power of the Xbox, run by the six infinity gems inside each Xbone.

Ever since science invented magic, I've enjoyed the quality of life we have today.

#7 Posted by farrell2k (5715 posts) -
#8 Posted by clr84651 (5343 posts) -

They waited for the right time to sale it without Kinect, they waited for the right time to cancel used game fees & DRM, now they're waiting & waiting for it to get more powerful. LOL!

#9 Posted by SolidTy (42126 posts) -

@SolidTy: I lol'd

Finally! You were one tough cookie. A tough nut to crack. :)

In all seriousness, I'm glad someone enjoyed one of my posts, it's been awhile, lol.

#10 Posted by cainetao11 (16595 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@farrell2k said:

@SolidTy: I lol'd

Finally! You were one tough cookie. A tough nut to crack. :)

In all seriousness, I'm glad someone enjoyed one of my posts, it's been awhile, lol.

Infinity gems...............SW is over turn off your intranet

#11 Posted by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

I'm skeptical ever since they mentioned that turning off the Kinect would unlock more GPU power. But if they do it then more power to them.

#12 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -
@SolidTy said:

The Xbone is super powerful now, but it wasn't last month.

They were waiting for the right time to release more power. I think I read that they plan on increasing the power every few months for the next ten years and there won't be another Xbox, this machine will just get more powerful over the years. No future machine will ever catch up to the infinite power of the Xbox, run by the six infinity gems inside each Xbone.

Ever since science invented magic, I've enjoyed the quality of life we have today.

#13 Posted by blamix99 (1622 posts) -

FoxBatAlpha and Evo_nine has been waiting for this forever too, have faith on the X1, the secret sauce will come very soon.. LOL

#14 Edited by B4X (3397 posts) -

T3h Cloud is Coming! :p

#15 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

The cloud has been updated with a silver lining. Things are looking up.

#16 Posted by santoron (7631 posts) -

Had nothing to do with owning a Kinect or not, though the announcement of it and the Kinect-less Xbone were together so the confusion is understandable.

MS had a certain amount of of the GPU locked away to be used for Kinect game functions, Even if the game had no Kinect features. I can only assume the braintrust that came up with that scenario thought it would entice devs to add kinect features into every game, since it would come essentially free GPU-wise.

Of course that didn't happen. Instead devs kept asking to use it for normal game development and MS decided recently to do just that. So your Kinect should still work for out of game functions just as before, and games with kinect features work just as before. Going forward, Devs get a bit more GPU goodness if they decide to skip Kinect functions in their game. Which means just about everyone is going to skip Kinect.

#17 Posted by Mazoch (2408 posts) -

The idea that the XBone will get an increase in power is really a bit of a misnomer. Current Xboxes do have to reserve part of their processing power and memory to handle the Kinect, microphones as well as all other background services that are running on the consoles.

So with the new Kinect-less Xboxes you got a situation where the console will have less tasks it needs to handle with the same amount of CPU and memory. This does mean that those machines have more free 'power' than an Xbox with a Kinect. however it's unlikely to have any practical effect on what gamers will see or how games will be developed. Since the Kinect is still a possible Xbox configuration all Xbox software will have to be developed with the Kinect in mind. It wont have to use the Kinect but developers will still have to base their game on the weakest console variation. Or in other words the game will have to work on a Kinect enabled Xbox so the game cannot really take advantage of the lack of a Kinect.

Cliffnotes: The new kinectless xbox would theoretically have a little more free CPU and memory but the difference will be purely academic and is unlikely to have any visible effect on anything.

#18 Posted by Kuromino (1260 posts) -

Sorry, will need to lock this.

Please ensure you read the System Wars survival guide. You must have at least 500 posts before you can create topics on System Wars.