Xbox One vs PS4 processing power...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by edwardecl (1773 posts) -

We already know the Xbox CPU is 10% faster than the PS4, but the Kinect eats into the power by up to 10% (and also presumably eats into the main RAM as well)... So people are still calling it so close there is not much difference... but.

Everyone forgets the PS4 has a separate ARM chip with it's own DDR3 memory which deals with video and audio decoding and encoding as well as a few minor background tasks (some of which are not finished).

My question is, both the PS4 and Xbox One encode their video outputs to share/record to hard drive and the internet. The PS4 almost does this for free using the ARM chip plus it's own dedicated RAM so takes no performance hit on the main processor or GDDR5 (except reading the frame buffer?).

Hows does the Xbox One record it's video output, I assume it has it's own hardware video encoder somewhere but nobody has mentioned another set of RAM modules. So how much of a hit does the DDR3 take (I assume it keep the processing / video data somewhere, the ESRAM would be too small) and how much RAM is set aside for this? And does it touch the CPU in any way?

Would be interesting to see what other stuff Sony does with the ARM chip. I would also love to know how the ARM chip accesses the main memory to copy the frame buffer and if it has direct access to the file system.

Also do you think Sony would ever let people use the ARM chip to run unsigned code, do the devs even have direct access to the ARM chip? There is such a lack of information about it.

#2 Posted by NobleCow (40 posts) -

The PS4 was built in mind for forward-thinking features. You can see it in its hardware and software elegance that SONY knew what they wanted.

The Xbone is a last-gen console power-wise and feature-wise. It is highly likely that the recording feature was added on when SONY announced that the PS4 had a built-in recorder. Unfortunately, MS wasn't as forward-thinking as SONY was, so there was a problem syncing hardware with OS features. Consequently, a portion of the CPU and GPU will need to be utilized to record gameplay on the Xbone.

#3 Posted by tdkmillsy (1227 posts) -

Xbox One and PS4 took a different approach to forward thinking.

PS4 looked locally and invested in as good a local box as they can. Its pretty impressive kit.

Xbox One thought that Kinect and cloud computing is the future. Taking the number of sales the Wii sold they took a risk with Kinect and unless they start releasing some games for it it wont pay off. The cloud is the future but possibly not this generation and certainly no the first half. Both companies have more to offer and I do feel services wise the Xbox One will be better. But for local performance the PS4 has more grunt. Dunno what Microsoft where thinking but I wouldn't right them off yet.

#4 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12788 posts) -

Corn flakes vs prime rib.

#5 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3717 posts) -

im gonna go with cornflakes.

but that doesnt mean xbone. it means cornflakes. and i love cornflakes. i mean - i'm just so glad that someone finally made a post about it.

kudos brah. seriously, i have no idea at all why, but it seems cornflakes are seldom the topic of posts.

baffling.

#6 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3476 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

but that doesnt mean xbone. it means cornflakes. and i love cornflakes. i mean - i'm just so glad that someone finally made a post about it.

kudos brah. seriously, i have no idea at all why, but it seems cornflakes are seldom the topic of posts.

baffling.

What no love for Cocoa Krisipies? Whats a matter with you! Snap! Krackle! Pop! Cmon!!! lol

#7 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Maybe TC is wondering if that stacked NAND flash of 8GB maybe buffers with the encoding of videos, etc? That's all I could think of.

#8 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (5884 posts) -

We can assume and talk tech all we want but no one knows the limits of the sophisticated power that is the Xbox One. It's mystery is only surpassed by its power.

#9 Posted by killzowned24 (7286 posts) -

Probably reason why xbone is going on its 3rd month with no live streaming games...too weak

#10 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

We can assume and talk tech all we want but no one knows the limits of the sophisticated power that is the Xbox One. It's mystery is only surpassed by its power.

misterx you left too early in morning without waking me up. Had a lovely time on our date.

#11 Posted by RimacBugatti (1170 posts) -

@edwardecl:

Actually the PS4 CPU can hit 2.0 GHZ. Not sure if that's full time or just when necessary. That's why the PS4 fan gets so loud because the PS4 does run hotter because it runs faster.

#12 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12788 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

baffling.

What no love for Cocoa Krisipies? Whats a matter with you! Snap! Krackle! Pop! Cmon!!! lol

Man, I haven't had those in forever. Lately it's been mainly Cocoa Puffs.

#13 Posted by leandrro (680 posts) -

all 7000 amd graphics cards have built in h.264 video encoders, and thats what consoles are using, the video uses system memory gddr5 or ddr3 in x1 and takes less than 100mb

#14 Edited by leandrro (680 posts) -

CPU is irrelevant, the bottlenecks are in the GPU and PS4 has one thats 80% faster/bigger

#15 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3476 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

baffling.

What Cocoa Puffs... NO! Cocoa Krispies!! It's part of a balanced breakfast!! Though Cocoa Puffs are awesome too, but I'd send you some Cocoa Krispies!

#16 Edited by CrownKingArthur (3717 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

baffling.

What Cocoa Puffs... NO! Cocoa Krispies!! It's part of a balanced breakfast!! Though Cocoa Puffs are awesome too, but I'd send you some Cocoa Krispies!

I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon- sue me- and since I don''t have a butler, I have to do it myself. So most nights before I go to bed I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman Grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious. It''s good for me. It's the perfect way to start the day. Today I got up, I stepped onto the grill and it clamped down on my foot. That''s it. I don't see what's so hard to believe about that.

plagiarised from nbc's the office

#17 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3476 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

baffling.

I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon- sue me- and since I don''t have a butler, I have to do it myself. So most nights before I go to bed I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman Grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious. It''s good for me. It's the perfect way to start the day. Today I got up, I stepped onto the grill and it clamped down on my foot. That''s it. I don't see what's so hard to believe about that.

plagiarised from nbc's the office

Damn it Arthur you may need an X-Ray, and I may have to pick you up with my concussion, but first set up a meeting with the building manager who is handicapped this day will forever be known as the injury day.

#18 Posted by kinectthedots (1485 posts) -

We can assume and talk tech all we want but no one knows the limits of the sophisticated power that is the Xbox One. It's mystery is only surpassed by its power to do 720p

lol

#19 Edited by I_can_haz (6453 posts) -
PS4
Xbone

PS4 was designed with forward thinking ideas and gaming in mind. M$ rushed and hastily put the Xbone together after seeing what Sony did at February reveal hence the hardware limitations and general sloppy feel of the console. They truly weren't prepared, the same way Frieza wasn't prepared for Super Saiyan Goku.

#20 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3763 posts) -

@RimacBugatti said:

@edwardecl:

Actually the PS4 CPU can hit 2.0 GHZ. Not sure if that's full time or just when necessary. That's why the PS4 fan gets so loud because the PS4 does run hotter because it runs faster.

Is that just what you assume? I haven't heard that. Also I think the CPU speed being the one thing that Sony hasn't revealed is likely because it's slightly slower.

Because the PS4 is so compact also has an impact on why it runs hotter and louder. MS made the X1 that shape so it could run cool, quiet and reliable.

-

Also I heard the Xbox One uses some of the SHAPE sound processor for Kinect, not the CPU. And it used 10% of the GPU (which is getting reduced) not the CPU and lets not forget the Kinect itself does its own processing.

#21 Posted by sakaiXx (50 posts) -

I thought ps4's CPU speed was never revealed, the dev also said they have not reached ceiling wall for the CPU, it could vary from 1.6ghz to 2.75ghz. future proof baby

#22 Posted by sSubZerOo (42919 posts) -

As some one who hasn't adopted next gen system yet, I couldn't care less.. The way I see it is YOU, who are propping up the specs, are the cancer of the industry. Because your pretty much telling the devs to release the same sh!t over again with higher graphic fidelity rather than anything gameplay wise that is overly different or new.. That is why we have been seeing genres not changing for years now to actually taking steps back in numerous areas and depth.. Yet you early buyers eat this sh!t up in buying a hunk of plastic that has little to no games that most can be played on last gen consoles..

When I finally decide to buy a console I will base it upon a LIBRARY and game quality rather then how many polygons it can produce..

#23 Posted by RimacBugatti (1170 posts) -

@sSubZerOo:

Agreed but I just wanted to reassure people that hadn't read the CPU spec which has been posted on many occasions. Even IGN had it posted on their sight. It would make sense that Sony doesn't want Microsoft to know exactly how fast it's running so that Microsoft ponders on why the PS4 runs faster. It's a great system either way and the graphics are awesome and some of the games offer great gameplay. I only bought it at launch because I hadn't bought a system at launch since Dreamcast. I still think Dreamcast has been one of the best systems to date. PS4 was worth getting for Killzone and BF4 and perhaps Tomb Raider. Infamous will be great and Uncharted 4 will be amazing.