Xbox One(gaming) vs PS4(Online) , Hour Wars?

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

So i just read both companies statistics for year one(using the articles on the gamespot homepage which details the statistics) What jumped out to me was the hours spent gaming. Despite falling

behind PS4 in sales and userbase, the Xbox One accounted for more hours spent gaming over The PS4 by 1 billion. We all know the PS4 is superior and the multiplats run better, why aren't people gaming more on the PS4? You would think the PS4 would easily dominate the Xbox One in the category of gaming hours.

Edit: updated the title as I mislead with original title as the wording was different from each company. Apologies for feeding trolls, but still even with the wording the subject still makes for an interesting discussion.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

i assume the source for this info is the highly reputable 'tales from my ass'?

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

The reason for low gameplay hours is because PS4 gamers spend their hours here on System Wars comparing the amount of grass in their video games.

Playing games is for casuals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 06
Member since 2003 • 998 Posts

Interesting, but without a link to a credible site your going to get stampeded on.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

So i just read both companies statistics for year one. What jumped out to me was the hours spent gaming. Despite falling behind PS4 in sales and userbase, the Xbox One accounted for more hours spent gaming over The PS4 by 1 billion. We all know the PS4 is superior and the multiplats run better, why aren't people gaming more on the PS4? You would think the PS4 would easily dominate the Xbox One in the category of gaming hours.

Sony's statistic stated "playing online" where as Microsoft's generally stated "playing games" and not specifically to online. It may be unwise to compare the two.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I think that says it all.....it's been a fun year for XB1 gamers.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

So....do we get a link the to this amazing information and unquestionable source and survey? Or is everyone just supposed to take your word as the surveying source?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

you know what are awesome?

Sources

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@lostrib said:

Sources

I believe he's referring to this.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@BigBadBully said:

So i just read both companies statistics for year one. What jumped out to me was the hours spent gaming. Despite falling behind PS4 in sales and userbase, the Xbox One accounted for more hours spent gaming over The PS4 by 1 billion. We all know the PS4 is superior and the multiplats run better, why aren't people gaming more on the PS4? You would think the PS4 would easily dominate the Xbox One in the category of gaming hours.

Sony's statistic stated "playing online" where as Microsoft's generally stated "playing games" and not specifically to online. It may be unwise to compare the two.

Yup, i noticed it too. Note it says online at the end indeed

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

you can blame me, i have probably close to 500 hours with my Xbone and like 10-15 with my PS4

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

What a pathetic stat for Playstation. Doesn't the PS4 have some pretty popular MMOs?

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BigBadBully

@Stevo_the_gamer: yes that's what i was going by. The Xbox article on the homepage and it also links to the PS4 statistics. No pulling from my backside. Maybe Gamespot can get clarification on those numbers and what they mean, maybe I misunderstood. Some Roger Clemens Missinformation...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

Stats and source link please?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SolidTy
@kinectthedots said:

So....do we get a link the to this amazing information and unquestionable source and survey? Or is everyone just supposed to take your word as the surveying source?

@lostrib said:

Sources

@06 said:

Interesting, but without a link to a credible site your going to get stampeded on.

@ghostwarrior786 said:

i assume the source for this info is the highly reputable 'tales from my ass'?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

"XBox, watch Real Housewives of New Jersey" is not a game, though.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BigBadBully

@SolidTy: homepage Xbox One year one article. it will also give you the links for the PS4. But i may have misread as some fellow warriors pointed out the wording from both companies.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkangel115

@SolidTy said:

@BigBadBully said:

Stats and source link please?

Post 9 shows the XB1 stats

Post 10 shows the PS4 stats

OP should update his post to reflect those sources though

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Wait, you can make threads with absolutely no sources, just randomly pulling stuff out of your ass like that? This is going to be fun!

Posts 9 and 10 don't corroborate what he said at all...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidTy

@BigBadBully said:

@SolidTy: homepage Xbox One year one article. it will also give you the links for the PS4. But i may have misread as some fellow warriors pointed out the wording from both companies.

You should update the OP.

However, I looked at the sources and I'll post them for you if you want to copy paste in your OP:

----

Sony released their information Nov 14th:

PS4 users have tallied 1 billion hours playing online (as of Nov 14th)

Xbox released their information today (Nov 19th, five days later....hmmm):

Fans spent more than 2 billion hoursplaying gameson Xbox One (as of Nov 19th, 5 days later)

----

My notes? Not much to see or compare here after reading each source. "Playing Online" vs. "Playing games".

They are completely different stats. In the future, you have to be VERY diligent and careful when comparing stats, companies can be tricky, people can get confused, and some people can be mislead. In this situation, you were confused, but that's why citing a source is vital. If you can't discern the problems, others might be able to find the problems (if there are any problems). This is also what you do on academic papers, so the reader can look at your sources for themselves to form their own informed opinion on whatever the subject. For whatever reason, the company that presented stats later (in this case, Xbox) can choose to directly compare themselves to the competition or not. In this case, Xbox opted out of a direct comparison by choosing the "playing games" option. Most likely due to their numbers being inferior at this time due to sales. Rest assured, both companies stances will reverse if the opportunity arises. It's the corporation tango.

Corporations post stats that present their product in the most favorable light.

Side note: It would be wise to take a statistics class if you ever get the chance. It's very beneficial. There are many companies and marketing outfits that prey on the populace's general ignorance. It would help you beyond video games.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

lol, this thread is a joke, I don't blame certian people for going along with it though; agendas and everything.

For people have trouble reading the fine print is says

"1 Billion hours spent playing PS4.................*ONLINE*"

it's not uncommon for lems to present half truths and lies that's why I always insist on seeing the info for myself.

Nothing to see here folks standard fare xbox is pretty much useless without online connection, it doesn't have the type of quality single player focuses games experiences like Infamous, TLOUR, MLB and LBP.

Also it seems as though the Xbone numbers are referring to over all gaming...The PS4 numbers were talking about online gaming only.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

So i just read both companies statistics for year one(using the articles on the gamespot homepage which details the statistics) What jumped out to me was the hours spent gaming. Despite falling

behind PS4 in sales and userbase, the Xbox One accounted for more hours spent gaming over The PS4 by 1 billion. We all know the PS4 is superior and the multiplats run better, why aren't people gaming more on the PS4? You would think the PS4 would easily dominate the Xbox One in the category of gaming hours.

well there you have it folks, its because Xbox One actually HAS GAMES. cows spend all of their time here and their ps4 is collecting dust. and X1 has superior multi plats, the colors and frame rate are better most of the time.

ps4 sucks, deal with it....or better yet sell it and get an X1.

owned.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darkangel115

@SolidTy said:

@BigBadBully said:

You should update the OP.

However, I looked at the sources and I'll post them for you if you want to copy paste in your OP:

----

Sony released their information Nov 14th:

PS4 users have tallied 1 billion hours playing online (as of Nov 14th)

Xbox released their information today (Nov 19th, five days later....hmmm):

Fans spent more than 2 billion hoursplaying gameson Xbox One (as of Nov 19th, 5 days later)

----

My notes? Not much to see or compare here after reading each source. "Playing Online" vs. "Playing games".

They are completely different stats. In the future, you have to be VERY diligent and careful when comparing stats, companies can be tricky, people can get confused, and some people can be mislead. In this situation, you were confused, but that's why citing a source is vital. If you can't discern the problems, others might be able to find the problems (if there are any problems). This is also what you do on academic papers, so the reader can look at your sources for themselves to form their own informed opinion on whatever the subject. For whatever reason, the company that presented stats later (in this case, Xbox) can choose to directly compare themselves to the competition or not. In this case, Xbox opted out of a direct comparison by choosing the "playing games" option. Most likely due to their numbers being inferior at this time due to sales. Rest assured, both companies stances will reverse if the opportunity arises. It's the corporation tango.

You post stats that present your product in the most favorable light.

Side note: It would be wise to take a statistics class if you ever get the chance. It's very beneficial. There are many companies and marketing outfits that prey on the populace's general ignorance. It would help you beyond video games.

Just to look at both sides here, If i took my console (PS4 XB1 whatever) and never had it online and played games how would they know how many hours i played right? The console would have to be online at some point to report the data back. Also when Sony says "online" it could mean playing a MP or co-op game or it could mean playing while there system is online aka logged into PSN = playing online not necessarily an online game. Really there is no way to tell for sure, Sonys online doesn't mean they aren't including SP games, maybe it just means they can't account for people who aren't logged into PSN and hooked up to the internet. I'd assume (which could be wrong) that both companies would report total hours played overall they logged on their respective consoles as it would net the highest numbers. I also assume both would track your hours played in each game as well and can report it back anytime your online. SO you are correct that the wording makes it hard to give a definitive hard proof picture, one could speculate that the numbers would be similar in comparison. When MS says playing games, it probably says that in liu of using apps or watching TV for instance, they could post X-Billion numbers of hours used on each XB1 and include apps and TV in which case the numbers would be way higher. It seems both have pointed to games played using the consoles overall and not just multiplayer online

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Playing games vs playing online are not quite the same.

Considering the PS4 has the superior version of almost every multiplat and they sell more, it is doubtful more hours are spent on X1.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

Considering the PS4 has the superior version of almost every multiplat and they sell more, it is doubtful more hours are spent on X1.

is your butt-hurt? LOL go cry

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darkangel115

@AM-Gamer said:

not true at all. outside of destiny what big online game is on the PS4? none of their 1st party stuff at all. both have CoD (ghosts and now AW) BF4, and destiny. XB1 also has titanfall which sold a few million at least and has sucked in alot of hours online as well. There are more online games to play on XB1 as all of sony's 1st party offerings are SP only with the exception of KZ, but the online numbers for that game were pretty low. down to a couple thousand players after a week or so.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

I wonder if they are counting games that are left snapped away while people watched tv...

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

So first it was cows and lemmings fighting over who has better grass and now it's who plays more... pathetic fanboys.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#29 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

PS4 doesn't have many games that can be played.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

So much pr spin from MS this gen. Sony posts hours spent gaming online, a few days later MS posts hours spent gaming.

Microsoft is treating this the same way they treat sales when Sony beats them.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AM-Gamer

@darkangel115: They said 1 billion hours online. There is no possible way to track hours on a single player game. And offline play is where the PS4 would have more hours. It's amazing watching Xbots grasp to such a worthless made up statistic.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AM-Gamer

@ps4hasnogames: The truth hurts your tears are tasty.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@BigBadBully said:

Welp I think this ends here. Better luck next time, TC!

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@AM-Gamer said:

is your butt-hurt? LOL go cry

They are both good consoles but I can see why Xbox has more hours, it had a few must-play games like sunset, titan fall, forza, dead rising 3. And if you add those to all the multi plats released then xbox probably does have more hours played. Sony just didn't have those big games this year as much as I like them.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

It has more than the 'ol bone, so I guess you'd use an even harsher qualitative distinction - unless you're a fanboy.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikeHockbourns

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

It has more than the 'ol bone, so I guess you'd use an even harsher qualitative distinction - unless you're a fanboy.

maybe more indies, but as far as big name games? its not even close.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X_CAPCOM_X

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

It has more retail games out as well.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MikeHockbourns

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

even if thats true I can't name any big name ones.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 X_CAPCOM_X

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I can name some that released this week. Can you?

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MikeHockbourns

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

no. big name exclusives? thats next year, which is why xbox had more hours played this year. next year should be interesting with Halo 5, Gears of War and Quantum Break vs Uncharted 4, the order, and something big rumored.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 X_CAPCOM_X

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@mikehockbourns said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

no. big name exclusives? thats next year, which is why xbox had more hours played this year. next year should be interesting with Halo 5, Gears of War and Quantum Break vs Uncharted 4, the order, and something big rumored.

You sure? Because you can check on this very website.

One of the games I'm thinking of can't be played on an X1 (a game releasing on X1 today is not playable on PS4 as well).

Next year will undoubtedly have more games, but I'm focusing on the moment for a reason. This fanboy logic people employ here needs to die.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

source was microsoft and sony

sony congradulated its players for 1 year for playing 1 billion of hours on psn

microsoft said the users played 2 billion of hours on xbox live

its not some BS source its official sources

ps4 users are prolly busy watching netflix or watchin movies on the ps4 it doesn't got many games and they dont play on it much for games

think about you have twice as many ps4's yet you people your double market share doesn't even play half as much on psn as people who play on xbox

now ask urself why that is it might be cuz ur games suck and xbox had titanfall and real games on it for multi

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

I've spent hours thinking about buying a next gen system, does that count? :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Maybe those who have a PS4 are adults with jobs and families....

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

Gears of War... next year? LOL At best you get a collection. Even The Last Guardian will come before Gears 4.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Playing online versus playing games in general.

That's where the comparison falls flat on its face.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Maybe those who have a PS4 are adults with jobs and families....

yeah, sure you'd be posting that if the figures were the other way around....

Ah but you cannot form conclusions based solely on hours played as that ignores other factors which influence. Which is my point and why this thread is garbage no matter who created it or why.

Also is this not solely online gaming? If it ignores single player than it's even more of a train wreck.