Xbox one to support mods.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by tormentos (18133 posts) -

Can't see what you posted but I presume they're just new characters, which are exactly that, SKINS. They don't rock the boat like actual game-changing mods do.

balfe1990

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDEm4SlwkE

Yeah just skins...:roll:

What part of the PS3 version was compatible with PC ones you miss.

Also the skin been show are 3rd person,Unreal tournament 3 is a first person shooter.

#-48 Posted by sukraj (22800 posts) -

I hope this is true.

#-47 Posted by starwarsjunky (24735 posts) -
think i've only modded once on pc, so yeah i don't exactly care. lol.
#-46 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Not gonna happen, outside of a very limited number of games via an extremely limited toolset. Just like the Halo forge, just like little big planet.

Actual mods always have the ability to increase instability into a game. You take the good and you take the bad with mods, thankfully the good usually outwieghs the bad.

You're crazy if you think a console developer is going to allow some random people to create mods that could potentially break the game in some way, or introduce instability. Not going to happen.

balfe1990

This. I imagine if this comes to fruition, it'll be harnessed in a very controlled manner. Still a pretty cool step forward however. Whenever people are given toolsets to mess with on consoles, they come up with some pretty impressive things. see: LBP, Trials, Minecraft.

UT 3 on PS3 allowed PC mods to be played.

Several mods done here,most apparent one master shief,and 3rd person UT is FP.

This is on PS3 :lol:

tormentos

Can't see what you posted but I presume they're just new characters, which are exactly that, SKINS. They don't rock the boat like actual game-changing mods do.

Last gen and next gen systems are not the same, however. Sure they won't be able to completely change the games like PC, but additional content and tweaks are achievable.

#-45 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

tormentos

Also the skin been show are 3rd person,Unreal tournament 3 is a first person shooter.

Fair enough, as I said, I couldn't see anything in your post and I'd only heard about skin "mods" in UT

#-44 Posted by clr84651 (5449 posts) -

The article says "We're still doubtful we'll ever see mods on the X1, but this is the closest ever". Doubtful means "not going to happen"

#-43 Posted by Lach0121 (9858 posts) -

Thats actually pretty cool

But I see two things from this.

Sony will try to take a cue, and do this (more than likely) if MS is actually going to.   (who would blame them, its a good idea)

Secondly I only expect this in infancy for either console.  I suspect a handful of titles on either system will have mods.  (I highly doubt they will have them within the first year of either console's life)

However, if there do end up being a lot of Mods on consoles now, that is good, a step in the right direction imo.

#-42 Posted by dvalo9 (1280 posts) -
It would be enough to sway my decision. so yes.But unless it's confirmed i'll stick with ps4, chances are they'll be alot more open this gen.
#-41 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
Holyshit that would be HUGE!rjdofu
This. Sony better show some great games pretty soon or I'm gonna jump back on the Xbox bandwagon.
#-40 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
Maybe limited mods implemented in to the game, but defiantly not full messing with resources, it would make DLC vulnerable to be cracked
#-39 Posted by Lach0121 (9858 posts) -

Maybe limited mods implemented in to the game, but defiantly not full messing with resources, it would make DLC vulnerable to be crackedShadowriverUB

IF they did mods, they wouldn't be free, if they did that... Then there would be even less incentive to get DLC.

So I think the mods will end up costing, and thats if they even show up on consoles.

#-38 Posted by Wasdie (49927 posts) -

It is a PC confirmed. All you need now is upgradable components,bbkkristian

Why the hell would you want that? Why not just buy a PC then?

I thought the whole point was to be cheap and easy. 

#-37 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]It is a PC confirmed. All you need now is upgradable components,Wasdie

Why the hell would you want that? Why not just buy a PC then?

I thought the whole point was to be cheap and easy. 

I think that's what he's getting at.

#-36 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -

Another reason to not want one. Mods ruining my gaming experience.

Michael0134567
Exactly my thoughts to. If only mods were optional to use, then I... Wait.
#-35 Posted by ManatuBeard (935 posts) -

Mods wont look as good since modders wont have access to the full hardware/features on normal X1s. But enabling them will allow anyone with a devkit to create some good things!

#-34 Posted by Elitro (578 posts) -

It would.

But between the features that have been available to the pc (so far) i would rather have cross platform online play.

#-33 Posted by lilnazar (1614 posts) -

Sounds awesome. I wonder if the PS4 will allow mods too... If not, then I guess I know where my money will be going lol.

#-32 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2690 posts) -

Still wouldn't buy one.

I have my pc for that.

#-31 Posted by AD216 (1719 posts) -

wow. is this 4real or another bogus rumor? that could be huge.

#-30 Posted by tormentos (18133 posts) -

Fair enough, as I said, I couldn't see anything in your post and I'd only heard about skin "mods" in UT

balfe1990

Sadly enough it was just 1 game..:(

I would have love to see more games with mods its a huge advatage for PC.

#-29 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

This strikes me as a very bad idea. It opens the door to all kinds of exploits.

#-28 Posted by clyde46 (46294 posts) -

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

tormentos

Sadly enough it was just 1 game..:(

I would have love to see more games with mods its a huge advatage for PC.

Mods cut into the DLC profit.
#-27 Posted by clyde46 (46294 posts) -

lowe0
True, not that current consoles aren't impossible to hack now....
#-26 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -
It's as if, they're specifically talking about the dev kit.
#-25 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5129 posts) -

That would be nice. PS3 allowed mods on Unreal Tournament 3, but it didn't really take off. It's not really a console thing, but having the option would be nice.LordOfPoms
Yup PS3 had that.

#-24 Posted by Chutebox (37232 posts) -
No it won't. PS3 was the exact same. How much mod support did you see?
#-23 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]Holyshit that would be HUGE!Chutebox

... None except one game?
#-22 Posted by Chutebox (37232 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="rjdofu"]Holyshit that would be HUGE!ShaineTheNerd

Yup. Which is why it won't mean shit.
#-21 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] No it won't. PS3 was the exact same. How much mod support did you see?

*facepalm* One of the main benefits of PC gaming is mods. I know some console gamers that have switched to PC for this one reason. Cockroach intelligence lowers more and more every day.
#-20 Posted by Chutebox (37232 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"] ... None except one game?

*facepalm* One of the main benefits of PC gaming is mods. I know some console gamers that have switched to PC for this one reason. Cockroach intelligence lowers more and more every day.

You should probably realize what I was actually saying before saying stupid shit.
#-19 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Michael0134567
That's a pretty lame way to be. Mods have kept games alive for decades longer than they usually would be. Yeah, great choice...lol. This one must not realize you get a choice whether you use a mod or not.
#-18 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

jer_1
That's a pretty lame way to be. Mods have kept games alive for decades longer than they usually would be. Yeah, great choice...lol. This one must not realize you get a choice whether you use a mod or not.

This one must not realize that post was trolling.
#-17 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Yup. Which is why it won't mean shit.

You should probably realize what I was actually saying before saying stupid shit.

Elaborate
#-16 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -
[QUOTE="jer_1"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Michael0134567

This one must not realize that post was trolling.

I gotta admit, I thought you were serious.
#-15 Posted by blackace (20753 posts) -
That would be nice. I can't see any negative for having this feature
#-14 Posted by Chutebox (37232 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"] *facepalm* One of the main benefits of PC gaming is mods. I know some console gamers that have switched to PC for this one reason. Cockroach intelligence lowers more and more every day.

Elaborate

Had nothing to do with PC mods. I know they're awesome. Point was on consoles the devs won't care and the community won't care.
#-13 Posted by StormyJoe (5387 posts) -

Following news that Xbox One can be used as a dev kit, it looks like mod support could be incoming too.

Published on Jul 25, 2013

In a first for Xbox, it looks likely that Xbox One will support mods.

Following news that any Xbox One can be used as a dev kit, it was asked on Reddit if this means the console would support mods.

"It's up to developers to support that," answered Microsoft's Major Nelson. "These are two very different things."

His answer suggests that the capacity for modding is there, if developers create games in a way that will support it.tormentos

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2018003/xbox_one_to_support_mods_its_up_to_developers_says_major_nelson.html

What say you system wars about this.?

I think it's a great idea. I don't see any reason why Sony wouldn't follow suit.

#-12 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8507 posts) -
Wow Xbox one is changing for the better day by day. MS getting all the negative press and preorder numbers helped knock some sense into them. This is why competition is a good thing.
#-11 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9598 posts) -

That's cool. I've never modded games before though.

#-10 Posted by Chutebox (37232 posts) -

[QUOTE="tormentos"]

Following news that Xbox One can be used as a dev kit, it looks like mod support could be incoming too.

Published on Jul 25, 2013

In a first for Xbox, it looks likely that Xbox One will support mods.

Following news that any Xbox One can be used as a dev kit, it was asked on Reddit if this means the console would support mods.

"It's up to developers to support that," answered Microsoft's Major Nelson. "These are two very different things."

His answer suggests that the capacity for modding is there, if developers create games in a way that will support it.StormyJoe

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2018003/xbox_one_to_support_mods_its_up_to_developers_says_major_nelson.html

What say you system wars about this.?

I think it's a great idea. I don't see any reason why Sony wouldn't follow suit.

Sony did it with PS3. Problem is devs don't utilize it at all.
#-9 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28401 posts) -
[QUOTE="Whiteknight19"]

Sony already supported mods look at unreal tournament for ps3 soo nothing new here

rjdofu
How did that turn out?

only character mods were available and only simple ones also copyrighted character could get you banned
#-8 Posted by lostrib (37031 posts) -

so this will probably be as widely used as mods on the PS3

#-7 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -

That could be major.

#-6 Posted by lostrib (37031 posts) -

That could be major.

lowkey254

No, according to console fanboys, mods are terrible and they ruin the developers vision.  Shouldn't be allowed

#-5 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28401 posts) -

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

tormentos

so they finally got some maps to work on the ps3? They had problems at first Iwith maps, wonder how much of that mario map was cut yo get it to work? surprising you actually posted domething informative for once el tormo.
#-4 Posted by FastEddie2121 (3081 posts) -
"Winning!!!" if true.
#-3 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowe0"]

clyde46
True, not that current consoles aren't impossible to hack now....

No sense in making it any easier.
#-2 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -
MS might win the next gen if this news is true. Mods is one of the biggest reasons why games are superior on PC (imo).rjdofu
I would love to see mods be supported on consoles, but I am a little pessimistic about the quality of the tools developers would provide to console gamers and UI of such tools. Regardless, this is something to be excited about if true. However, I wouldn't say its one of the biggest reasons games are so much better on PC.
#-1 Posted by wis3boi (31382 posts) -

To work on a console a dev would have to provide pretty extensive modding tools. Not sure how this would work ....blue_hazy_basic

especially if the console can't hand the mod...or number of mods.  Hello system crashes.  "bu-bu, only PC has teh problems!"

#0 Posted by narutosup (1571 posts) -
This will make game developers lazy and force the game community to complete the development of the game. Look at Bethesda for example, they released so many incomplete games.