Xbox one to be cheaper than PS4 in Canada/Australia

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Linky.

Bestbuy pre-order shows that it's gonna be in stores on the 9th of June.

-----

Tough to say if this is gonna spur a lot of sales, but i'd say those are some pretty decent markets to be cheaper in. Hopefully Sony step up, and reduce the cost of the PS4, after they raised it $50 :x

What say you guys?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I see Sony going bankrupt by the end of 2014, because of this.

About damn time.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

It should be.

Great news for gamers though.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Finally Xbone can destroy PS4. The end is coming that we have been praying for.

Thanks for the finding the news and posting TC.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Sony probably won't drop their price until the end of the year or next year. They are still losing money on every PS4 sold right now, so reducing the price too soon will cause them to lose even more money.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lundy86_4

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

Microsoft official winners of this gen. Time to dust off and go home ladies and gents.

@blackace said:

Sony probably won't drop their price until the end of the year or next year. They are still losing money on every PS4 sold right now, so reducing the price too soon will cause them to lose even more money.

I just want the PS4 back at $400. It's only $50 extra, but it was a bit of a douche move to raise the price.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#7  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

TCHBO.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised to see the prices keep climbing while the CAD continues to be reduced to monopoly money

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

Microsoft official winners of this gen. Time to dust off and go home ladies and gents.

Not sure if sarcastic or not...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lundy86_4

@SambaLele said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

About a billion percent.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

@blackace said:

I just want the PS4 back at $400. It's only $50 extra, but it was a bit of a douche move to raise the price.

They though it was a risk reward system in their favor because they were ahead, but now it's kind of hit a wall.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blackace

@Desmonic said:

@blackace said:

False. http://allthingsd.com/20131119/teardown-shows-sonys-playstation-4-costs-381-to-build/

They make ~18$ per console (MS makes ~28$ on the X1 with Kinect, still no exact number on the X1 without Kinect). It is estimated (but not really confirmed) that a single software sale (game/PS+/XBL) puts both well into the green.

That's not what was original thought. Go back and read this thread. It's not just the price of the system that's part of the cost. You do know that right? It's all the cost of employees, manufacturing fees, boxing material, etc, etc..

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/sony-we-will-lose-60-per-every-ps4-sold-so-buy-our-29451630/

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Many can get Xboner with even kinect included for lower price than Ps4, you know price/demand, retailers just want get the crap gone from shelves for better stuff LOL

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@blackace: Sony is losing money on their non gaming ventures. The biggest is their TV business which is losing them billions. If they can hold on to the TV business this long, what makes you think they won't drop the price of the PS4 to corner more marketshare? Most of the profits come from software anyway. The "Sony can't price drop because of losses" card is old.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sagemode87

@blackace: PS4 doesn't cost the same to make as it did at launch. If they want to stay competitive, they can lower the price. X1 without Kinect still is more expensive because of the APU. It's weaker but more expensive. Sorry a PS4 price drop would ruin your day. Not that Sony would have to drop the price. PS is a stronger brand worldwide.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Eh? I said g'day lundy.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Desmonic said:

What we do know is that neither loses money on the hardware. If they do lose money it's on the "hidden costs" like R&D and shipping for example.

Packaging, export taxes, sales taxes, advertising, retailer cut (no one mentions that in costs vs RRP), etc.. People on this board seem to see that company A manufacturing costs are $398 and sells for $399 and think they are making profit. Its daft. lol

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Where I am, official RRP was $100 more expensive than the PS4 with waggle. Without it's $50 cheaper.

Having said that one retailer of the Xbone cut the price even before launch and you could easily get an Xbone with Titanfall for the same price as a solo PS4 since the end of March.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@blackace said:

False. http://allthingsd.com/20131119/teardown-shows-sonys-playstation-4-costs-381-to-build/

They make ~18$ per console (MS makes ~28$ on the X1 with Kinect, still no exact number on the X1 without Kinect). It is estimated (but not really confirmed) that a single software sale (game/PS+/XBL) puts both well into the green.

That's some good stuff.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@SambaLele said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

About a billion percent.

As suspected. It's just that there are so many blatant fanboy radicals these days that it doesn't hurt to make sure...

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

How is that even possible? lol is it just the exchange rate?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Wonder if SONY will react in those markets or just ride out their success.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Sony shouldn't have raised the damn PS4 by $50 here in Canada. (Yeah I know our dollar is down, big whoop it will go back up later but the price will stay the same.) PS4 games are $70 in Canada, Xbox One games are $65, Wii U games are $65 also.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Sagemode87 said:

@blackace: PS4 doesn't cost the same to make as it did at launch. If they want to stay competitive, they can lower the price. X1 without Kinect still is more expensive because of the APU. It's weaker but more expensive. Sorry a PS4 price drop would ruin your day. Not that Sony would have to drop the price. PS is a stronger brand worldwide.

The CAD hurt sony a lot and that is why they increased the price of the console. The price of the PS4 won't decrease for a couple of months and maybe even a year or two until either the CAD increases or manufacturing costs for the console get a bit cheaper(which may result in a price drop around the world).

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blackace

@Sagemode87 said:

@blackace: Sony is losing money on their non gaming ventures. The biggest is their TV business which is losing them billions. If they can hold on to the TV business this long, what makes you think they won't drop the price of the PS4 to corner more marketshare? Most of the profits come from software anyway. The "Sony can't price drop because of losses" card is old.

Not old. It's a fact. Sony wouldn't want to lose more money on a hardware that they are already losing money on. That' just bad business practice. You definitely don't do it a price cut on hardware that is selling very well. That's just stupid. If you don't know about how the gaming market works, you may want to just stay out of the conversation.

A price drop wouldn't ruin my day, as I already own a PS4.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blackace

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Desmonic said:

What we do know is that neither loses money on the hardware. If they do lose money it's on the "hidden costs" like R&D and shipping for example.

Packaging, export taxes, sales taxes, advertising, retailer cut (no one mentions that in costs vs RRP), etc.. People on this board seem to see that company A manufacturing costs are $398 and sells for $399 and think they are making profit. Its daft. lol

That's what I'm saying. Sony even admits they are losing money in that paragraph he bolded.

"the PS4 will incur a profit at a sooner point than PS3." This basically means they were losing money when they launched and sometime in the future they will be making a profit. So they were NOT making a profit when they launched and probably still aren't, at least until the end of the year. Also, the $381 is how much all the parts cost in the PS4. Now if you could magically snap your fingers and put all those pieces together to make a PS4, then yes, Sony is would be making a profit on the PS4. Unfortunately, they need machines, laborers and distributors to make the system and get them boxed and shipped. There is a total cost for each unit to do that and it's not $381.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

@blackace said:

It's $400 here in the US. EVERYTHING in australia is more money, but for the $50 extra dollars you're getting a considerably more powerful console which has a reputation of providing games for more years than xbox consoles. The 360 has been dead for the past 3 years, in that time sony has released multiple game of the years for PS3.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sagemode87

@blackace: So Sony will take huge losses on a TV division that doesn't make them money but they won't take a small additional loss on their big money maker to keep it dominant? All jokes aside, Sony is still worth Billions of dollars regardless of you and other Lems jokes. Your logic is flawed. Doubt you know how the gaming market works, you're no expert.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sagemode87

@blackace: Newsflash, MS isn't making money on Xbox either lol. They haven't made any money since entering the industry. The original Xbox and early losses from 360 overtakes what 360s profits were. Talk about something else besides company money that none of us will see a dime of.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lundy86_4

@ps4hasnogames said:

It's $400 here in the US. EVERYTHING in australia is more money, but for the $50 extra dollars you're getting a considerably more powerful console which has a reputation of providing games for more years than xbox consoles. The 360 has been dead for the past 3 years, in that time sony has released multiple game of the years for PS3.

It started at $400 in Canada, and was raised $50 due to the low dollar. The dollar has been low before, and never adversely affected pricing. With MS it has only affected the game prices.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

It started at $400 in Canada, and was raised $50 due to the low dollar. The dollar has been low before, and never adversely affected pricing. With MS it has only affected the game prices.

So which console did you buy? or planning to buy.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lundy86_4

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

So which console did you buy? or planning to buy.

Both. I have easy access to both at the moment, but they're my bro's. Due to the price change, I might go with the X1 first (more games that i'm enjoying), but the PS4 will be my main.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

LOL! Wont happen.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Canada has a very very low population & therefore low sales. Australia is good, but not enough to counteract the dominance Sony has everywhere in the world except the U.S. California has a higher population than all of Canada. Australia is around 25 million. California has a population of 38.5 million. The U.S. is 317 million.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

ptth, will still be too expensive here in Aus. Besides, there aren't enough games I would to play on either system anyway.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

This Xbox One: http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Xbox-One-Titanfall-Console-Bundle/22171214

Or this PS4: http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/PS4-Console/21037837

New Zealand $$ or course.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's definitely going to make a difference in those regions.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

400 dollars is a good price for the ps4 and the xbox one should be cheaper than the ps4 without the kinect anyways.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Bad move from sony

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

About damn time.

Thanks for making me laugh before I headed to bed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Glad I got my PS4 when I did. That price hike was bullshit, I don't care how low the CAD gets.

Not like Canadians aren't used to taking it up the ass anyways.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Eventually it'll be cheaper everywhere. But at the moment they don't want to lose face by dropping the price too much. But it wont help them win anything.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Despite XboxOne being $50 cheaper in Canada i find it funny that its nowhere to be found in the top 30 list even on amazon.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Can't Canadians just buy their PS4's in the states?

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Canadian business actually benefits from a lower dollar since we export a lot of commodities and it makes our manufacturing sector profitable from the exchange rate. their prices are generally attached to the usd and don't fluctuate like currencies do. What Sony did is price gouging just like what gas stations do before long weekends and is a symptom of being a failing company in a market with a slim margin. Despite common belief gas stations don't have a high gp they typically only profit a few cents per liter of fuel.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lundy86_4

@edwardecl said:

Can't Canadians just buy their PS4's in the states?

I live right by the border, and I most certainly could. You'd pay the difference due to the conversion rate (which is even higher if you use a credit card), and you could also get an annoying border officer when crossing back, who could nail you with duties. With the conversion, you'd be looking at around $440 plus tax, plus potential duty.

I don't think you can buy and ship to Canada, due to the border, and the difference in sales tax.

@finalstar2007 said:

Despite XboxOne being $50 cheaper in Canada i find it funny that its nowhere to be found in the top 30 list even on amazon.

Do they have the $400 version on Amazon yet? I can't find it.