Xbox One suffering because of the Third Console Curse?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Or is it a result of poor business choices?

I know that there are some of you who don't believe in the third console curse. But there have been a few trends in the history of gaming.

For example, the Nintendo 64 was Nintendo's infamous fall from the top. With the Playstation using disks instead of cartridges, the Playstation had a clear advantage.

The PS3 was definitely subject to the third console curse. The PS3 was Sony's infamous fall from grace. With the high price point of the PS3, and the lack of really stunning games the first few months on the market, people chose other consoles.

But in both cases, it seems that the fall was a result of ignorance of the parent company.

Is the Xbox One "suffering" now because of that ignorance of Microsoft? Or is it the third console curse coming into play?

We've always defined the third console curse as the "fall from the top" in years previous, but should it now be redefined as a sense of ignorance the company gets upon entering the generation?

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

XB1 is not suffering -_-. from what i've seen and heard about sales and customer satisfaction the console is doing fine. the console is only a few hundred thousand behind the ps4 from what reports i've seen. with it costing a hundred dollars more i'd say thats a very successful launch so far. so do you have any evidence of how terribly the XB1 is doing or did you just fall too hard for cows rhetoric?

-_- smh

also the Wii was on top last gen. not the XB360.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

@tymeservesfate: Fanboy alert. The xb1 is doing ok, but definitely not dominating like last gen. So far the ps4 is looking like the clear winner

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Isn't it the second fastest selling console of all time behind the PS4? I'm seriously asking, because if it is, then there's no reason to believe it is suffering yet.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Topic fail, its not suffering. Its selling strongly thus far.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25930 Posts

@verbtex said:
should it now be redefined as a sense of ignorance the company gets upon entering the generation?

Yeah, that. Happened to Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Sony and recently Microsoft.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Mods troll now? (other than Hallenbeck)

I mean there are only two examples, nintendo and Sony, with third consoles "curses" it's not a trend for that phrase to exist.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

How is it suffering? It's the second fastest selling console of all time and it isn't even that far behind PS4.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#9  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

I don't think the Xbox One is suffering. What's making people say that?

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 verbtex  Moderator

It's not a troll topic. I'm asking if you guys think the Xbox One is suffering in the first place.

In no way did I intend to say the Xbox One is suffering. I'm planning on buying an Xbox One one day.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 verbtex  Moderator

@PinkieWinkie said:

The xb1 is doing ok, but definitely not dominating like last gen. So far the ps4 is looking like the clear winner

Hence the "third console curse." It isn't dominating like last gen.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 verbtex  Moderator

@WadeFan said:

Isn't it the second fastest selling console of all time behind the PS4? I'm seriously asking, because if it is, then there's no reason to believe it is suffering yet.

This is the discussion that I wanted. Here was my main question. Is the Xbox One suffering? If so, is it because of the third console curse? If not, do you think it will avoid the "third console curse"?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Would you care to explain how it is suffering on your world?

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By verbtex  Moderator

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Would you care to explain how it is suffering on your world?

I'm not saying it is suffering. I'm asking you guys if you think it is suffering.

Personally I think it is to early to tell, but I kinda started this interesting conversation the other day with a few of my coworkers.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@WadeFan said:

That's due to availability and possibly people getting bored with the longest gen ever.

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

This thread is suffering.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

How can the 3rd console curse happen to Microsoft if their first 2 consoles were never first in the first place?

Avatar image for battalionwars13
battalionwars13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By battalionwars13
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts

Except it's not suffering. It sold quicker than the Xbox 360 and it's not that far behind the PS4. It didn't "dominate" last gen either. The Wii came in first and the 360 was practically tied with the PS3. It's going to come in second this generation and it's not going to be behind the PS4 by more than 10 - 20 million units. Ahead of the Wii-U by a good bit. These are just my unprofessional guesses.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 applefan1991  Moderator

@Cranler: maybe. I'm just thinking that it's too soon for us to claim the console is cursed yet lol. I mean some of the signs are there for sure with the more expensive yet less powerful hardware and all that, but a month into a console war tells us very little

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator

@verbtex: ah I see. In my opinion them, IF I had to guess, then I would say that it has a chance to fall into the "cursed" category being that it's more expensive, but less powerful than its rival, but overall I think it's just simply too early to tell. But if I had to lay money on it, then yeah, I'd say it has a possibility of happening, but not to the effect of the PS3's level

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

the n64 was nintendo's 4th console actually. and look at sega, their third console was a massive success.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

This is not a thing. The PS3 and N64 were both extremely successful, and the Xbox one has been extremely successful so far.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

here are the reasons

expensive console and weaker than the ps4

weak 3rd party games

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@verbtex: I made a few posts over the years about this very topic a few times.

My posts were before the third Xbox had a proper moniker, usually referred all generation as the Xbox 720. They basically were the same point, a potential "Xbox 720's/Xbox 3's" future 3rd console curse. Of course, it was tongue in cheek/ in jest as that was before anything was ever known about the Xbone machine as we know today.

What I do remember that may strengthen your OP (other points besides Nintendo and Sony third international home console machines), I cited Atari and Sega's 3rd international home console machines as well. We do know that despite the "curse" the N64 and PS3 were successful, but they certainly were a fall in grace as it were. I'm saying that before fanboys come a runnin'.

Happy posting on this point, as it's all in good fun anyways. :)

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@verbtex: I made a few posts over the years about this very topic a few times.

My posts were before the third Xbox had a proper moniker. They basically were the same point, a potential "Xbox 720's/Xbox 3's" future 3rd console curse. Of course, it was tongue in cheek in jest as that was before it had a proper moniker or anything was ever known about the machine as we know today.

What I do remember that may strengthen your OP (other points besides Nintendo and Sony third machines), I cited Atari and Sega's 3rd machines as well.

Happy posting.

Saturn was definitely a knife to the neck for sega,

I think Microsoft has an uphill battle for the rest of this gen,

because of the microtransactions they imposed on some of their exclusives,

man I wouldn't get near anything they release for at least 3 years.....

casuals may forget those slights or may not be aware,

but I know I wont forget and it will be one of the reasons I am out,

and hold the belief of its future struggle

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

no such thing. x1 is suffering because weak hardware sold for $100 more than its competition which is 50% stronger was a stupid decision, really really stupid idea to anyone who follows gaming

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

It's suffering because the console sucks and the hardware division of Microsoft is garbage.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

@CrumUnderMe said:

the n64 was nintendo's 4th console actually. and look at sega, their third console was a massive success.

People do not realize that Nintendo in 1977 did produce a home console (Color TV Game) years before the Famicom was released. If the Color TV Game was counted as a home console then the third console would be the Super Famicom/Super NES.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

You can't really make the comparison between where MS is now and where Nintendo and Sony were when they released their third consoles. They had firm control of the console market with the SNES and PS2, respectively. The N64 and PS3 weren't terrible consoles, but where they failed was giving up their majority lead in market share in the next gen. The 360 did very well, but it didn't dominate the same way the PS2 or SNES did.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I have seen Xbox One console's on shelves and no PS4's so people aren't demanding the Xbox like Playstation.

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

@thom_maytees said:

@CrumUnderMe said:

People do not realize that Nintendo in 1977 did produce a home console (Color TV Game) years before the Famicom was released. If the Color TV Game was counted as a home console then the third console would be the Super Famicom/Super NES.

also sega, the sg1000 was their first console, making genesis the third and a runaway success.

i love you

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@billing said:

This thread is suffering.

HA!!! XD

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13624 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

Mods troll now? (other than Hallenbeck)

I mean there are only two examples, nintendo and Sony, with third consoles "curses" it's not a trend for that phrase to exist.

I thought it was a fanboy until you pointed that out lol.

It's really not a smart op. The console just launched.

If the console was performing like the Wii U for 6 months, you could say that, otherwise you'd have to wait about a year before you can ask such a question.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13624 Posts

@thom_maytees said:

@CrumUnderMe said:

I can't believe I've never even heard of that. I thought I knew Nintendo inside out.

I just looked into it, i'd love to try out the 1979 model.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#35 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41478 Posts

@thom_maytees said:

@CrumUnderMe said:

That's the thing. All that console had was one game and one game only: PONG!

As well as thefact that the damn thing didn't even release outside of Japan unlike the NES, so it's hard to count that.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

The real test is after the holidays. PS3 was sold out during holiday season and it struggled after that.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6837 Posts

I wouldn't say it's suffering. It's selling less than the PS4, sure, but I'm surprised it has sold so much at a higher price.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60665 Posts

Saw it coming in 2009 when MS did the unthinkable...they dropped core to go upwards of 65% causal with Kinect(lol) to chase the Wii's pot of gold.

Then MS had an abortion of a reveal and got knocked the **** out at E3 when they tried to change the industry on their own. They haven't fully recovered from these catastrophes, we all wish them well though.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

People holding to the xbox one and PS4 been close now will be in for a shock,the PS4 has higher demand and is constantly been sold out as soon as it hit store.

Meanwhile this is what Gamestop has to do to sell more xbox one,apparently they are not selling as fast as MS and their fanboys want to pretend it is..

I wonder what the excuse will be to justify doing this kind of campaign on gamestop,when the PS4 are sold as soon as they hit the store.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4861 Posts

So one Gamespot decides to use a sharpie on a piece of paper and its news? LOL.

The X1 isn't suffering. Its current sales are neck and neck with the PS4 and will stay close for a long time.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5816 Posts

They could release a powerhouse of a console at a cheapo price but it would still be bad according to half the people on these forums.

3rd console curse no, but I think that part of the Xbox One division had really good ideas on the gaming and non gaming areas of the console. But the purse strings (shareholders) stopped them from building a console that would sell at a loss or selling later than PS4. This meant they had to cut corners or release unfinished parts.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#42 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@tormentos said:

People holding to the xbox one and PS4 been close now will be in for a shock,the PS4 has higher demand and is constantly been sold out as soon as it hit store.

Meanwhile this is what Gamestop has to do to sell more xbox one,apparently they are not selling as fast as MS and their fanboys want to pretend it is..

I wonder what the excuse will be to justify doing this kind of campaign on gamestop,when the PS4 are sold as soon as they hit the store.

And you're saying they do this at every store?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61411 Posts

I'll wait until we see more. I find it hard to take the "curse" seriously, but it does seem to happen. Al that correlation/causation jazz.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lundy86_4

@tormentos said:

apparently they are not selling as fast as MS

Shit, son... Put that doobie out.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9450 Posts

@Well a little of both.. however..

That Curse.. #Forsure #Everyonegetsaturn #Didntwanttobreaktradition

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos

@shadowchronicle said:

@tormentos said:

And you're saying they do this at every store?

Several stores are doing this,and is something you don't do on a product that is selling for it self great.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos

@lundy86_4 said:

@tormentos said:

Lets wait until next year and see who really should have put that Doobie out..hahaha

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lundy86_4

@tormentos said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@tormentos said:

Lets wait until next year and see who really should have put that Doobie out..hahaha

You said they aren't selling as fast as MS... MS created the X1. Were you meant to say Sony? Were you?

CARNAGES41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CARNAGES41
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

It is suffering because the PS4 does almost everything better and for less

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

"Third console curse" is just a cute nickname we gave to the phenomenon of messing up with your third console.

It's a kind of superstition and I have no idea what the hell this thread is about.