Xbox One's Cloud Solution Ranked 1, Beats Out Amazon S3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

Source

Still not convinced about Azure, the Xbox One’s Cloud computing solution? Enterprise storage company Nasuni has recently published a very interesting white paper on the state of cloud storage, and has determined that among Cloud Storage Providers, Microsoft’s Azure has beaten out the previous top solution, Amazon S3.

From the white paper: “In our 2012 report, tests demonstrated that Amazon S3 and Microsoft Azure Blob Storage were the two strongest players in the market and that, although other offerings showed potential, they had not yet matured enough for use in enterprise storage solutions.

“This year, our tests revealed that Microsoft Azure Blob Storage has taken a significant step ahead of last year’s leader, Amazon S3, to take the top spot. Across three primary tests (performance, scalability and stability), Microsoft emerged as a top performer in every category. Even though Azure has not been in the market as long as S3 and does not have nearly the same volume of storage under management, it is clear that Microsoft’s investments in Azure are starting to pay dividends and that the technology they are providing to the market is second to none.”

While Microsoft has been called out in the past regarding the “hundreds of thousands” of Azure servers it will be providing for the Xbox One, the actual reports don’t lie. Despite being relatively new, Azure has risen to the very top of the pile to become the number one Cloud Storage Provider. Where does that leave Sony? We’ll soon find out when the Xbox One launches on November 22nd.

Power of teh cloudz!

#2 Edited by always_explicit (2969 posts) -

The cloud is going to be a valuable tool. Its something thats going to grow with the system and considering this gen lasted for nearly ten years thats incredibly valuable. MS are planning for the future.

#3 Posted by clyde46 (46787 posts) -

Fuck games, I want to run Folding at Home on that bad boy!

#4 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

The cloud is going to be a valuable tool. Its something thats going to grow with the system and considering this gen lasted for nearly ten years thats incredibly valuable. MS are planning for the future.

Doesn't mean the competitors can't come up with a similar/better solution at the right time in the future to compete.

#5 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

@rjdofu said:

@always_explicit said:

The cloud is going to be a valuable tool. Its something thats going to grow with the system and considering this gen lasted for nearly ten years thats incredibly valuable. MS are planning for the future.

Doesn't mean the competitors can't come up with a similar/better solution at the right time in the future to compete.

Sure, all you have to do is invest billions.

#6 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3914 posts) -

Means nothing in terms of gaming and very little for the average consumer.

#7 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

The cloud is going to be a valuable tool. Its something thats going to grow with the system and considering this gen lasted for nearly ten years thats incredibly valuable. MS are planning for the future.

Very, very true.

#8 Posted by RR360DD (12124 posts) -

Exciting times

@rjdofu said:

@always_explicit said:

The cloud is going to be a valuable tool. Its something thats going to grow with the system and considering this gen lasted for nearly ten years thats incredibly valuable. MS are planning for the future.

Doesn't mean the competitors can't come up with a similar/better solution at the right time in the future to compete.

Sony? No chance

#9 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Exciting times

@rjdofu said:

@always_explicit said:

The cloud is going to be a valuable tool. Its something thats going to grow with the system and considering this gen lasted for nearly ten years thats incredibly valuable. MS are planning for the future.

Doesn't mean the competitors can't come up with a similar/better solution at the right time in the future to compete.

Sony? No chance

Valve yo!

#10 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151689 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

Means nothing in terms of gaming and very little for the average consumer.

This. I don't want to deal with cloud....I just want to put a disc in and game.

#11 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

Cloud-based computing SOLUTION - LOL

It'll be primarily used to track Xboners' TV, Movie and Internet traffic tendencies and then it will steer targeted streaming ads to your XB1 home pages to try to get you to buy more XBL crap.

#12 Edited by always_explicit (2969 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Means nothing in terms of gaming and very little for the average consumer.

This. I don't want to deal with cloud....I just want to put a disc in and game.

You still can...you donthave to "deal" with anything.

I use my current allocation of cloud storage for save game data now my HD is full.

Only cows would turn this obvious benefit into a negative.

#13 Edited by Crypt_mx (4162 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

Cloud-based computing SOLUTION - LOL

It'll be primarily used to track Xboners' TV, Movie and Internet traffic tendencies and then it will steer targeted streaming ads to your XB1 home pages to try to get you to buy more XBL crap.

Oh and my guess is you're a game dev right? Many different developers have started using the cloud, and any are able to. It gives them extra opportunities that you wouldn't have on any other console.

Sunset Overdrive keeps a persistent, constantly updating world with the cloud.

Forza creates your own personal avatar who drives like you, by studying your driving and sending it to the cloud.

Dead Rising 3 uses the cloud to create the first persistent open world game. If you bang up a car and leave it on one end of the map in a ditch, it will be there when you get back because of the cloud.

These are only the first wave of xbox games....what will the cloud be doing in 10 years when its 10x the size and speed?

#14 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

Wow thank you microsoft. Sony lags behind once again

#15 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Another useless Xbone feature. MS continues to show how little they care for actual games on their system with these useless gimmicks that have little or no gaming application. Would have been better if they invested some cloud mony into getting better hardware or better first party studios.

#16 Posted by always_explicit (2969 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Another useless Xbone feature. MS continues to show how little they care for actual games on their system with these useless gimmicks that have little or no gaming application. Would have been better if they invested some cloud mony into getting better hardware or better first party studios.

I agree that way we could have such quality titles as Knack, killzone and driveclub.

pfffft. LOL

#17 Posted by Deevoshun (857 posts) -

Funny how Cows claim this feature is useless, that is until Sony starts to work on their own cloud system, but like LIVE they will be years behind. Also NO Gakai is NOT the same.

#18 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3914 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Means nothing in terms of gaming and very little for the average consumer.

This. I don't want to deal with cloud....I just want to put a disc in and game.

You still can...you donthave to "deal" with anything.

I use my current allocation of cloud storage for save game data now my HD is full.

Only cows would turn this obvious benefit into a negative.

Nothing negative about it, but this is more or less "non-news".

#19 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@always_explicit: sure beats garbage like Ryse and Dead Rising 3. Enjoy your inferior multiplats all gen running on "infinite" cloud power and fairy dust.

#20 Posted by Crypt_mx (4162 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Another useless Xbone feature. MS continues to show how little they care for actual games on their system with these useless gimmicks that have little or no gaming application. Would have been better if they invested some cloud mony into getting better hardware or better first party studios.

How is having full dedicated servers for every online game useless? That was the biggest issue this gen, the lack of dedicated servers. How is being able to freely use the cloud for any feature when developing useless? Many companies make great use of the cloud in game, and that directly benefits the gamer.

#21 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43072 posts) -

@rjdofu: This will definitely be one of the major differences that will separate the PS4 and XONE.

#22 Posted by StormyJoe (5646 posts) -

@rjdofu said:

@always_explicit said:

The cloud is going to be a valuable tool. Its something thats going to grow with the system and considering this gen lasted for nearly ten years thats incredibly valuable. MS are planning for the future.

Doesn't mean the competitors can't come up with a similar/better solution at the right time in the future to compete.

Umm... do you have any idea how much of an investment a cloud service is? It's not like just saying "hey, lets go put some servers together".

#23 Posted by NFJSupreme (5380 posts) -

MS has been the industry leader in cloud services for a while now where have yall been

#24 Posted by Deevoshun (857 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@rjdofu: This will definitely be one of the major differences that will separate the PS4 and XONE.

Agreed, now to leave it up to game developers to flesh this thing out and give us a new level of gaming experiences. Open world gaming will never be the same.

#25 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5180 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Exciting times

@rjdofu said:

@always_explicit said:

The cloud is going to be a valuable tool. Its something thats going to grow with the system and considering this gen lasted for nearly ten years thats incredibly valuable. MS are planning for the future.

Doesn't mean the competitors can't come up with a similar/better solution at the right time in the future to compete.

Sony? No chance

Didnt Microsoft just invest like $20 billion or something into their infrastructure?

#26 Edited by tdkmillsy (1533 posts) -

Option 1.

720p/900p resolution games with guaranteed dedicated servers providing top notch multiplayer games, dynamically changing worlds and various other features which will only get better in the future.

Option 2.

1080p resolution games with some dedicated servers but mostly peer to peer gaming.

50" TV sat more than 7 feet away you would not tell the difference in resolution.

Unless you have no friends and only play offline single player games then Option 1 is easily the better solution.

#27 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

It's still a relatively new technology,

#28 Posted by clyde46 (46787 posts) -

@SonofK said:

It's still a relatively new technology,

Nope, the cloud has been around for years.

#29 Posted by Krelian-co (11633 posts) -

who needs decent hardware when you have the cloudzzzz

#30 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

"This year, our tests revealed that Microsoft Azure Blob Storage has taken a significant step ahead of last year’s leader, Amazon S3, to take the top spot. Across three primary tests (performance, scalability and stability)"

8 more years of XBL providing better performance than PSN

#31 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3914 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@SonofK said:

It's still a relatively new technology,

Nope, the cloud has been around for years.

I suppose it's relatively new in in the post ww2 era or quite new in the history of mankind :p

#32 Edited by NFJSupreme (5380 posts) -

@tdkmillsy: to me it isn't even about resolution it's more about things like AA. You can cut a steak with the jaggies you see in console games now. 900p or 1080p isn't that big a difference and I dare someone to tell the difference between the two if give two images to pick from. But jaggies, crappy particle effects and bad framerate you notice immediately

#33 Posted by always_explicit (2969 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

@tdkmillsy: to me it isn't even about resolution it's more about things like AA. You can cut a steak with the jaggies you see in console games now. 900p or 1080p isn't that big a difference and I dare someone to tell the difference between the two if give two images to pick from. But jaggies, crappy particle effects and bad framerate you notice immediately

This

#34 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5490 posts) -

Bored of this Cloud crap. Keep processing on local hardware or get lost, developers.