Xbox One passes 5 million units*!!

• 177 results
#101 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

Microsoft having sold 5 million through to retailers means that a good million or more are probably not sold yet... I would say the gap widened... or MS would have gone all "We are rapidly gaining ground.." bla bla bla.

Both are doing great and I love to see that... but lets get real. Titanfall fell WAY short of expectation... except for expectations in overhype and over scoring.

But it's EA....so it's funny.

#102 Posted by UltronKiller (8 posts) -
#103 Posted by regnaston (226 posts) -

@regnaston said:

@ultronkiller:

My Walmart the PS4's are on the shelf and the XB1's are empty.

NPD says different.

ummm NPD doesnt say anything like that.

My point was that you can not show pictures of one store shelf and assume that it is the same everywhere

#104 Posted by regnaston (226 posts) -

@tormentos:

My point was that you can not use one store as being the same everywhere. In Whitby, Ontario they had (last week) 4 or 5 PS4's and no XB1. (In Canada though the price difference is only $50 and once you factor in the free game there is no price difference)

I dont doubt that more stores have XB1's sitting on shelves than PS4's though...

#105 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

@tormentos:

My point was that you can not use one store as being the same everywhere. In Whitby, Ontario they had (last week) 4 or 5 PS4's and no XB1. (In Canada though the price difference is only $50 and once you factor in the free game there is no price difference)

I dont doubt that more stores have XB1's sitting on shelves than PS4's though...

I think by now the stocking issues are lessened. The issue is the drop in price. That really isn't a good sign especially this early in the console life. Tends to mean the demand isn't there. Retailers do not want dead stock. They want to move it.

#106 Posted by TheFadeForever (1685 posts) -

if they wouldn't shove that kinect with the xbox and gave it a cheaper price tag they would have easily gotten higher numbers

#107 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

if they wouldn't shove that kinect with the xbox and gave it a cheaper price tag they would have easily gotten higher numbers

Maybe....maybe not. Really can't assume anything.

#108 Posted by PS4TrumpsXbox1 (1070 posts) -

@ OP

So your comparing the 5 million number which are shipped number to 7 million which are number sold to buyers? Didnt MS announce 3 million sold to consumers and 3.9 million shipped in late december or early to mid january? So it took them 2 months to ship 1.1 million units. Seems like Sony is pushing out at least a million a month worldwide for ps4.....

#109 Edited by regnaston (226 posts) -

You are probably right. I personally dont mind the Kinect but others do. Kinect is useful for voice navigation though :D .. they could have just incorporated a mic into the xb1 and made the kinect optional.

As for price, if the Kinect was not there the price would be the same... I only bought mine because I got a great deal on it from a guy used (he was moving out of country where the system would not work). I was going to wait until it was $350ish ..I still would have went XB1 though, as all my friends are on XB live

#110 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3655 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom said:

Microsoft having sold 5 million through to retailers means that a good million or more are probably not sold yet... I would say the gap widened... or MS would have gone all "We are rapidly gaining ground.." bla bla bla.

Both are doing great and I love to see that... but lets get real. Titanfall fell WAY short of expectation... except for expectations in overhype and over scoring.

But it's EA....so it's funny.

You make a good point... that is very hard to argue with. lol

#111 Posted by deniiiii21 (1261 posts) -

There is a lot of Xbox1's sitting in every store, and thats a fact go to your local Walmart, Bestbuy, inventory is pretty full. I think they only sold 4-4.5 million if they shipped 5 million to retailers.

#112 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2522 posts) -

Wonder how many are sitting in the stores?

#113 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15924 posts) -

"Sold to retailers".

I was thinking that it's not too bad being only 2M units behind your competition but that "sold to retailers" asterisk puts a bit of a damper on that, doesn't it.

#114 Posted by Indicud (739 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel: I'd peg it at sub 4.5 million sold units.

I expect PS4 too double XB1's lifetimes sales.

#115 Posted by gpuking (2713 posts) -

By E3 it would be 9.5 million PS4 units sold, 11million shipped while Xbone might just hit 5 million sold if lucky. Yes, I'm one of the launch xbone owner and I regret buying it everyday simply due to 720p-900p games, less than stellar graphics, not many interesting games and beyond useless kinect. If MS don't show more games at E3 I will sell that damn box right after.

#116 Posted by clyde46 (44007 posts) -

@gpuking said:

By E3 it would be 9.5 million PS4 units sold, 11million shipped while Xbone might just hit 5 million sold if lucky. Yes, I'm one of the launch xbone owner and I regret buying it everyday simply due to 720p-900p games, less than stellar graphics, not many interesting games and beyond useless kinect. If MS don't show more games at E3 I will sell that damn box right after.

Pics or GTFO.

#117 Posted by Carbon_Le (185 posts) -

So theres about one million xbones still sitting in the stores. This is shipped not sold. Get it right OP.

#118 Edited by Indicud (739 posts) -

@gpuking: picture needed.

And I'm sorry for your loss.

#119 Posted by lundy86_4 (42867 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@gpuking said:

Pics or GTFO.

I concur.

#120 Posted by finalstar2007 (24883 posts) -

To retailers? seeing how xbox one is available on shelf almost everywhere could prove that what guessed about xboxone being at 4mil to consumers could be right but since MS is hiding its hard to tell.

#121 Posted by FastRobby (1026 posts) -

This is great news, no one expected Microsoft to also suddenly sell 7 million consoles, right? We should compare the numbers from countries where they are both available, I think PS4 still comes out ahead, but how much smaller would the gap be? 500k, maybe 1 mil?

Also a positive spin to this news, the +5 million consoles were sold to retailers, because the Xbox One only released in 13 countries, these aren't that many stores, so I would think there aren't 1 million consoles sitting on shelves.

#122 Posted by lostrib (33273 posts) -

This is great news, no one expected Microsoft to also suddenly sell 7 million consoles, right? We should compare the numbers from countries where they are both available, I think PS4 still comes out ahead, but how much smaller would the gap be? 500k, maybe 1 mil?

Also a positive spin to this news, the +5 million consoles were sold to retailers, because the Xbox One only released in 13 countries, these aren't that many stores, so I would think there aren't 1 million consoles sitting on shelves.

There are thousands of retail stores across America alone, it would not be hard to imagine a total of 1 million consoles on store shelves

#123 Posted by FastRobby (1026 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FastRobby said:

There are thousands of retail stores across America alone, it would not be hard to imagine a total of 1 million consoles on store shelves

I think they are sitting on shelves more in Europe, still thousands of stores of course. But 1 million would be too much, also with all the shit they got, Microsoft is doing pretty well. Maybe the tides will turn after a good E3.

#124 Posted by lostrib (33273 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FastRobby said:

I think they are sitting on shelves more in Europe, still thousands of stores of course. But 1 million would be too much, also with all the shit they got, Microsoft is doing pretty well. Maybe the tides will turn after a good E3.

There are 4200+ walmarts, ~1800 Targets, ~1000 Best Buys in America, and that's just major retail outlets. There are also over 4000 gamestops. If on average they have 90 or so X1 sitting around, that's about a million. And this is only brick and mortar stores

#125 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

Xbox is already out in its primary selling markets. Tis a 'murica box after all.

#126 Edited by FastRobby (1026 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FastRobby said:

@lostrib said:

@FastRobby said:

There are 4200+ walmarts, ~1800 Targets, ~1000 Best Buys in America, and that's just major retail outlets. There are also over 4000 gamestops. If on average they have 90 or so X1 sitting around, that's about a million. And this is only brick and mortar stores

You don't have that many consoles on the shelves catching dust everywhere. Don't you think that Walmart themselves distribute the Xbox One's over their shops? 10-20 per store, and that's really a maximum, they can easily fill those gaps if a store is sold out with their warehouses.

#127 Posted by FastRobby (1026 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

Xbox is already out in its primary selling markets. Tis a 'murica box after all.

No Sweden, Japan, South-Korea or Russia, which are all countries that buy a lot of video games. Although Japan is more Sony territory, do south-Koreans even play console based games? So that leaves Sweden and Russia :)

But we don't know how good Sony sold in the other 35 countries, so we can't really say anything... Let's wait until the momentum from Sony has left, and Microsoft does a killer E3.

#128 Edited by lglz1337 (3115 posts) -

MS 5m shipped to retailers not impressive vs sony over 7m sold to customers impressive

#129 Posted by KungfuKitten (20768 posts) -

You can import the X1 in most EU countries that don't officially sell them anyway. Sony is extending the lead! Good for them!

#130 Edited by KungfuKitten (20768 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

@misterpmedia said:

@FastRobby said:

No Sweden, Japan, South-Korea or Russia, which are all countries that buy a lot of video games. Although Japan is more Sony territory, do south-Koreans even play console based games? So that leaves Sweden and Russia :)

But we don't know how good Sony sold in the other 35 countries, so we can't really say anything... Let's wait until the momentum from Sony has left, and Microsoft does a killer E3.

Maybe if they hadn't closed the studio's to make the games with, I would have some faith. We're looking at like 1 or 2 AAA announcements that won't be in our paws for a year or two.

#131 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@FastRobby said:

eh? That's implying that PS4's momentum stops and Sony doesn't have a killer E3, which is nonsensical lol. If Xbox was strong brand around Europe way I could see some weight to the # Vs # of countries argument. PS4 is killing it in europe and has managed to snag the top two priority one Xbox territories along with that success.

#132 Posted by Spartan070 (16326 posts) -

Welp, so much for that 4-1 lead Sony fanboys were gushing about in December anyway...

#133 Edited by FastRobby (1026 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

@misterpmedia said:

@FastRobby said:

eh? That's implying that PS4's momentum stops and Sony doesn't have a killer E3, which is nonsensical lol. If Xbox was strong brand around Europe way I could see some weight to the # Vs # of countries argument. PS4 is killing it in europe and has managed to snag the top two priority one Xbox territories along with that success.

I think PS4 momentum dies out when Microsoft has a killer E3. Mostly because the momentum PS4 has, was purely because the hate against Microsoft. So it wasn't even positive momentum, more like Microsoft Xbox is shit thus I'll buy the other one. This changes if E3 is in favor of Microsoft, which of course we don't know if this will be the case.

#134 Posted by blamix (192 posts) -

Im surprised a expensive weak console will sell more than 3m. Must be a lot of die hard fanboys of xbox out there

#135 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@FastRobby said:

@misterpmedia said:

@FastRobby said:

I think PS4 momentum dies out when Microsoft has a killer E3. Mostly because the momentum PS4 has, was purely because the hate against Microsoft. So it wasn't even positive momentum, more like Microsoft Xbox is shit thus I'll buy the other one. This changes if E3 is in favor of Microsoft, which of course we don't know if this will be the case.

It's going to be a long gen for you. You realise the 'hate' only relates to fanboys and enthusiasts and not average consumers right? I say Sony will knock it out the park come E3 to solidfy the momentum. MS will have a great one too but you're banking a lot on one event I feel you're going to be disappointed.

#136 Posted by FastRobby (1026 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

@misterpmedia said:

@FastRobby said:

@misterpmedia said:

@FastRobby said:

It's going to be a long gen for you. You realise the 'hate' only relates to fanboys and enthusiasts and not average consumers right? I say Sony will knock it out the park come E3 to solidfy the momentum. MS will have a great one too but you're banking a lot on one event I feel you're going to be disappointed.

I'm not such a gamer actually, don't have the time, so disappointment will be small if they fail. I actually think Sony will do worse than Microsoft, but we'll see then, it doesn't really matter now. I'll probably buy the PS4 anyway in a couple of years, so I can play exclusives from both sides.

Also you are correct about the hate only relates to fanboys and weirdos, but this has an effect on other people. If you are a non-tech savvy guy, and you want to buy a console for your child, or whatever story you want to create here, and you inform yourself a bit on the internet and read comments... I think it has an impact on people, it's also the fanboys that shout the loudest, just look at the user review MC score from Titanfall... If i don't have the time to read reviews properly and just check what other people think of it, I might not buy Titanfall.

#137 Posted by withe1982 (450 posts) -

Yup MS still suffering from the ridiculous launch DRM/online check in/No used games shenanigans IMO. Well MS don't f*uck with our games and you may not get shit on by gamers. If you treat your target audience like crap don't expect them to come back in their droves just because you get pulled on it and then say "sorry my bad, we've changed our minds".

I'd love to know the exact amount of 360 owners who defected over to the PS4. I'm guessing quite a lot.

#138 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

Doesn't Sony use sold to retailers numbers too ?*

*not flaming, just asking

#139 Edited by super600 (30134 posts) -

@Carbon_Le said:

So theres about one million xbones still sitting in the stores. This is shipped not sold. Get it right OP.

It actually may be half of that, but take this post with a grain of salt.

#140 Edited by BattleSpectre (5953 posts) -

Like I said with the PS4 as well, I'm proud to be part of that number. Long live the home consoles!

#141 Posted by finalstar2007 (24883 posts) -

@super600 said:

@Carbon_Le said:

The more MS hides its numbers the harder it is to figure out how big is the gap between the two and seeing how that a lot of stores still have xboxones on the shelf i wouldnt be surprised if over a million of those 5 million shipped are sold to consumers.. my guess is still at 3.5 to 4Mil to consumers.

there is a reason they are not saying the consumers numbers even if they were 4mil is still good yet they arent saying how much.

#142 Posted by lglz1337 (3115 posts) -

TLHBB

#143 Edited by super600 (30134 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

@super600 said:

@Carbon_Le said:

The more MS hides its numbers the harder it is to figure out how big is the gap between the two and seeing how that a lot of stores still have xboxones on the shelf i wouldnt be surprised if over a million of those 5 million shipped are sold to consumers.. my guess is still at 3.5 to 4Mil to consumers.

there is a reason they are not saying the consumers numbers even if they were 4mil is still good yet they arent saying how much.

It half way past 4 most likely according to some insider

Here's a link

https://twitter.com/DoddSci/status/457000757787496448

Take this info with a grain of salt.

#144 Posted by delta3074 (17797 posts) -

SONY's numbers can't be sold to customers, they have to be shipped numbers as well, every man and his dog knows you cannot get sell through data from europe

#145 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3711 posts) -

Welp, so much for that 4-1 lead Sony fanboys were gushing about in December anyway...

Non-American markets you dumb lemming.

#146 Posted by delta3074 (17797 posts) -
@Spartan070 said:

Non-American markets you dumb lemming.

it's obviously not a 4-1 lead outside of the american markets either judging by those figures you dumb cow.

#147 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3711 posts) -

Where I am there have been piles of Xbones available since day one. Right now at one shop I could get an Xbone with four games (Lego Movie Videogame, Titanfall, Forza 5 and PvZ) for $738. All of that separately costs $1080. A solo PS4 with one new retail game costs $767. Think about that. In another I can get an Xbone with Forza 5 and Titanfall for $648, separately $894. Ridiculous good bargains around if I was dumb enough to want an Xbone.

#148 Posted by delta3074 (17797 posts) -

Where I am there have been piles of Xbones available since day one. Right now at one shop I could get an Xbone with four games (Lego Movie Videogame, Titanfall, Forza 5 and PvZ) for $738. All of that separately costs $1080. A solo PS4 with one new retail game costs $767. Think about that. In another I can get an Xbone with Forza 5 and Titanfall for $648, separately $894. Ridiculous good bargains around if I was dumb enough to want an Xbone.

Anecdotal evidence confirmed,lol

#149 Posted by RR360DD (11517 posts) -

Not bad for a console that was destined for complete failure according to cows.

#150 Posted by tormentos (16756 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Indicud said:

Those are shipped numbers where-as Sony's are sold numbers.

I'd peg the Xbox One at a little above or below 4 million.

They are both SHIPPED numbers. They will say "Sold To Consumers" when it's NOT Shipped numbers.

Hahahahaha still on denial spinning facts... Thank god your unbiased right.?

"Over 3 million Xbox One consoles were sold to consumers in 13 countries before the end of 2013," said Xbox executive Yusuf Mehdi today in a statement.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-sold-3-million-units-in-2013-microsoft-says/1100-6416955/

MS sold 3 million units to CONSUMERS by the end of 2013...

During the final quarter of 2013, 3.9 million Xbox One consoles and 3.5 million Xbox 360 consoles were sold in to retailers, Microsoft announced today as part of its quarterly earnings release.

Earlier this month, the company announced that sales of its next-gen console had already surpassed 3 million units before the end of last year. Note that, unlike that figure, these latest Xbox One and Xbox 360 numbers reflect the number of consoles sold to retailers, a number which is always greater than the number actually sold through to consumers.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/39-million-xbox-one-consoles-shipped-in-2013

MS sold to retailers in 2013 3.9 million xbox one,from those only 3 million sold and MS reported sold through numbers,when they talk about sold through is to consumers period,when they say sold to retailers yeah that mean to stores,so basically 800k xbox one can be seating on shelves now.

@blackace said:

Whether it's shipped or sold. We know there are still PS4 on retail shelves.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

They've been in stock everywhere for almost a month now. Amazon hasn't sold out of them since the 2nd week of March.

So you want to act like part of those 7 millions are at retailers.? Dude learn to read..hahaha

Sony sold to consumers 7 million units by April 6 the PS4 on stores right now,are not accounted on those 7 million..lol why do you think they give a number and say in which day they reach it..hahahahahaha

It most be killing you...

Oh and look how MS say the attach rate is 2.9 but doesn't say how many games they sold to date,that is because that would give away the actual number of consoles sold,the xbox one has sell way less games than the PS4..lol

The PS4 sold 20.5 million which is 2.9 million as well,if the xbox one has sold 4.2 million units which is what i think is has now,that mean the xbox one has sold some 12.1 million games sony is almost doubling them in sales of games to..

I say by E3 Sony will probably double MS numbers or be close to.

@blackace said:

They aren't selling out is my point. Do you remember the Wii? Sold Out for a full year. Over 20 million sold it's first year. Over 24 million sold it's 2nd yrs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales

Yes, there is still demand for the PS4, but it's not high enough for there to be "Sold Out" everywhere like the Wii was. Sony said they would be sold out until Summer and they would have a hard time keeping up with demands. I guess not.

Dude the PS4 up until now has outsold the wii in the same time frame....lol

Did Nintendo sold 1 million wii in 24 hours.?

No..

How much they sold in their first 5 months.?

5.8 million units...

As for the console business, “Wii” hardware got off to a favorable start with sales of 5.84 million units within the first five
months after launch.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2007/070426e.pdf

In fact Nintendo claimed that they would sold 6 million wii by March 31,and failed by 200k,sony say they would sell 5 million and sold 7 million units..lol

The wii reach 9 million by the end of June i am sure the PS4 will past that easy.