Xbox One passes 5 million units*!!

• 177 results
#1 Edited by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

* Sold-in to retailers.

--------------------------------

Link:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/xbox-one-march-npd

Story:

The team and I had the honor of joining thousands of you in Austin, Texas at SXSW this past March as you waited in line for the Titanfall launch on Xbox One. We were blown away by your passion and enthusiasm on launch night and since then, it’s been exciting to see gamers around the world playing “Titanfall” on Xbox Live. Today, we congratulate our friends at Respawn Entertainment, and Electronic Arts, as “Titanfall” for Xbox One was named the number one selling game in March, according to NPD Group figures released today.

We’re also happy to share today that more than 5 million Xbox One consoles have been sold-in to retailers since our launch. The new generation is off to a strong start, with global Xbox One sales outpacing Xbox 360 by more than 60 percent at the same point in time, a true testament to your love of console gaming. Even more important to us is how much fun you are having on Xbox One. It’s amazing that Xbox One fans are spending an average of five hours per day on Xbox One and collectively have totaled more than one billion hours of time spent in games and apps on the console. We’re also thrilled to see your use and enjoyment of the latest features and apps we have released as part of our regular system updates. In particular, we broke new usage records with the number of unique Twitch broadcasters in the first week of availability.

Of course, we’re just getting started with this generation and the months ahead will bring several announcements we think you’ll love. The team will continue to deliver regular improvements and new features based on your feedback through frequent system updates. Many more games are on the way with titles like “Sunset Overdrive” and “Project Spark,” many new games coming to Xbox One through the ID@Xbox program, and many more entertainment experiences. We can’t wait to share more games with you in June at E3.

We are grateful for your support on Xbox One and the continued popularity of Xbox 360. We’re going to continue working hard to earn your loyalty and making Xbox the best place to play games.

Yusuf

Highlights from March 2014 NPD Group results include:

• Xbox One continues selling at a strong pace with 311,000 units sold in the U.S. in the month of March, surpassing Xbox 360 sales by more than 60 percent at the same point in time.
  • Xbox 360 continues to grow its install base with 111,000 units sold in March in the U.S., more than any other seventh generation console.
  • Xbox One continues to see impressive software sales with an average of 2.9 games sold per console.
  • With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold the most games across all console platforms with 4.1 million games sold. Xbox One sold 1.4 million games in March and Xbox 360 sold 2.7 million, totaling 49 percent of the total software market share (Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined).
  • During the month of March, Xbox One and Xbox 360 games in the top 10 title lists were as follows:
    • Xbox One held four top titles in the generation eight top 10 console game title list in the U.S. including: “Plans vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes,” “ Titanfall.”
    • Xbox 360 held six top titles in the generation seven top 10 console game title list in the U.S. include: “Minecraft,” “Dark Souls II,” “The Lego Movie Video Game,” “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “South Park: The Stick of Truth.”

Data from NPD Group, March 2014

*Internal Microsoft data

--------------------------------------------

So. "More than" 5 million vs 7 million. I can't recall the overall gap at the last time MS announced their numbers, but I think it might have grown slightly.

Still, 5 million in 5 or so months, in a 13 countries is impressive. If they could drop their price I think the race would be far more balanced.

Opinions, System Warriors?

#3 Edited by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

I will say that's better than the 4 most people though they were still at. But do they have anything coming out after this or are they still going to half to rely on cuts and TF?

#4 Posted by _Matt_ (8741 posts) -

That system is doing grand. So long as Microsoft remembers that with great power, comes great responsibility...

#5 Edited by Couth_ (9915 posts) -

On one hand they are really outpacing their previous consoles. On the other hand they could have done infinitely better if it was not centered around kinect. They are still very impressive numbers

#6 Edited by TwistedShade (3119 posts) -

Great number given the pricing gap, and the horrible Press they've had to deal with. Although since they say shipped not sold I wonder what the real sold number is.

Either way I'm sure they're very happy. Two Million while a large gap, isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. They'll surely improve throughout this year and next, as they start bringing in positive press and news.

#7 Posted by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

Change your title to SHIPPED TO RETAILERS

How about no.

#8 Posted by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

On one hand they are really outpacing their previous consoles. On the other hand they could have done infinitely better if it was not centered around kinect. They are still very impressive numbers

Pretty much this. Looking at this, if they at least matched the PS4's price, the race would be far, far closer than what it is now.

#9 Edited by NFJSupreme (5020 posts) -

Not bad at all. Healthy sales. Xbone will have second place locked down this gen by the end of the year.

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (38118 posts) -

I wonder if we're getting an official price cut at E3.

Besides that, it's doing good. Just keep these platforms alive, and the games coming, and that will make me a happy freedom.

#11 Edited by NFJSupreme (5020 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

Change your title to SHIPPED TO RETAILERS

as far as MS is concerned once it's shipped to retailers they already have their money. Unless it's all on consignment which I doubt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know for my company most of our loads aren't consignment. But we aren't traditional retailers and I don't work in sales (IT).

#12 Posted by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Couth_ said:

Pretty much this. Looking at this, if they at least matched the PS4's price, the race would be far, far closer than what it is now.

This is assuming Kinect is their only issue. Which it's not. They sold 5 million with the thing bundled. They just need to fix the gold paywall and price. I may dare say they have no need to remove Kinect if they make the parts cheaper to make.

#13 Posted by GamingGod999 (2891 posts) -

That's still a great performance from Microsoft, though I wonder how many of them made their way into consumers' homes. Their last announcement showed that only 3 million Xbones were sold from what they shipped to stores (3.9 million).

lolWiiU

#14 Posted by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

I wonder if we're getting an official price cut at E3.

Besides that, it's doing good. Just keep these platforms alive, and the games coming, and that will make me a happy freedom.

Hey, they both have the same attach rate so the software side of things is also going pretty well! :) Though I think the PS4 needs to more software sold to keep up with attach rate (and MS didn't share that number for a reason, obviously :P ).

#15 Edited by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

#16 Posted by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

@TigerSuperman: Btw, forgot to answer but I think both sides don't have anything big (as far as exclusives go) until the Fall. As for price cuts, time will tell! E3 may have some news on that.

#17 Posted by lawlessx (46236 posts) -

thats pretty impressive considering the price difference

#18 Edited by SolidTy (41427 posts) -

Good sales, too bad I'm not into sales as I've said since 2005.

I own an Xbone though and I would be pleased if as an Xbox Live Gold subscriber they gave me some Games for Gold. Hopefully they do something about that soon.

#19 Edited by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

You know that is an essential element to any Xbox sales thread/announcement :P

#20 Posted by freedomfreak (38118 posts) -
@Desmonic said:

Hey, they both have the same attach rate so the software side of things is also going pretty well! :) Though I think the PS4 needs to more software sold to keep up with attach rate (and MS didn't share that number for a reason, obviously :P ).

Obviously :p

Yeah, the Ps4 is just kicking ass and taking names when it comes down to units sold, but X1 isn't doing too bad. Remember how we all reacted to the DRM, and all that?

Feels so long ago. They seem to be doing okay though. People are buying it, and the games that are available, so it's not all doom and gloom for MS. They're trying.

Sony doesn't even have to try 8)
Not surprised though 8)

#22 Posted by tonitorsi (8112 posts) -

Its now being reported that this is apparently shipped to retailers, courtesy of Gaf.

#23 Posted by Couth_ (9915 posts) -

With them only selling 300k in march NPD i'm wondering how many of those are sitting on shelves. They probably aren't sold through too much more than 4 million

#24 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Maybe with all those Xbones crammed on store shelves, stores will take a loss to get rid of some of them. I might actually pick one up @ $400 with Titanfall bundled.

#25 Posted by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

Its now being reported that this is apparently shipped to retailers, courtesy of Gaf.

Sold in to retailers = shipped to retailers. It's the exact same, they didn't lie. They just used a fancier term haha :P

#26 Edited by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

When will people use their brains instead of a random internet forum? I see no surprise anymore why the activity here has no consistency. Recently, I saw Wasdie betray the forum when I took a took last week. Soon no one will be here

#27 Posted by stereointegrity (10668 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

* Sold-in to retailers.

--------------------------------

Link:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/xbox-one-march-npd

Story:

The team and I had the honor of joining thousands of you in Austin, Texas at SXSW this past March as you waited in line for the Titanfall launch on Xbox One. We were blown away by your passion and enthusiasm on launch night and since then, it’s been exciting to see gamers around the world playing “Titanfall” on Xbox Live. Today, we congratulate our friends at Respawn Entertainment, and Electronic Arts, as “Titanfall” for Xbox One was named the number one selling game in March, according to NPD Group figures released today.

We’re also happy to share today that more than 5 million Xbox One consoles have been sold-in to retailers since our launch. The new generation is off to a strong start, with global Xbox One sales outpacing Xbox 360 by more than 60 percent at the same point in time, a true testament to your love of console gaming. Even more important to us is how much fun you are having on Xbox One. It’s amazing that Xbox One fans are spending an average of five hours per day on Xbox One and collectively have totaled more than one billion hours of time spent in games and apps on the console. We’re also thrilled to see your use and enjoyment of the latest features and apps we have released as part of our regular system updates. In particular, we broke new usage records with the number of unique Twitch broadcasters in the first week of availability.

Of course, we’re just getting started with this generation and the months ahead will bring several announcements we think you’ll love. The team will continue to deliver regular improvements and new features based on your feedback through frequent system updates. Many more games are on the way with titles like “Sunset Overdrive” and “Project Spark,” many new games coming to Xbox One through the ID@Xbox program, and many more entertainment experiences. We can’t wait to share more games with you in June at E3.

We are grateful for your support on Xbox One and the continued popularity of Xbox 360. We’re going to continue working hard to earn your loyalty and making Xbox the best place to play games.

Yusuf

Highlights from March 2014 NPD Group results include:

• Xbox One continues selling at a strong pace with 311,000 units sold in the U.S. in the month of March, surpassing Xbox 360 sales by more than 60 percent at the same point in time.
  • Xbox 360 continues to grow its install base with 111,000 units sold in March in the U.S., more than any other seventh generation console.
  • Xbox One continues to see impressive software sales with an average of 2.9 games sold per console.
  • With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold the most games across all console platforms with 4.1 million games sold. Xbox One sold 1.4 million games in March and Xbox 360 sold 2.7 million, totaling 49 percent of the total software market share (Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined).
  • During the month of March, Xbox One and Xbox 360 games in the top 10 title lists were as follows:
    • Xbox One held four top titles in the generation eight top 10 console game title list in the U.S. including: “Plans vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes,” “ Titanfall.”
    • Xbox 360 held six top titles in the generation seven top 10 console game title list in the U.S. include: “Minecraft,” “Dark Souls II,” “The Lego Movie Video Game,” “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “South Park: The Stick of Truth.”

Data from NPD Group, March 2014

*Internal Microsoft data

--------------------------------------------

So. "More than" 5 million vs 7 million. I can't recall the overall gap at the last time MS announced their numbers, but I think it might have grown slightly.

Still, 5 million in 5 or so months, in a 13 countries is impressive. If they could drop their price I think the race would be far more balanced.

Opinions, System Warriors?

7 million sold to consumers vs 5 million sold to retailers...their is a difference

#28 Edited by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Maybe with all those Xbones crammed on store shelves, stores will take a loss to get rid of some of them. I might actually pick one up @ $400 with Titanfall bundled.

It'll probably be more like:

"For every $50 you spend we offer a free XB1!"

:P

#29 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (10888 posts) -

@Bigboi500: I got the TF bundle at Amazon just a few days ago for 450. I'm really enjoying it so far. If it were to drop to 400 I'd say it'd be definitely be worth it.

#30 Edited by SolidTy (41427 posts) -

I would say it's peculiar M$ are pushing a shipped number in that PR report, but I know it's not a surprise to most of us here. After the stumbled launch this will be the M.O. until things fall into place. They have investors and it's vital to scream success in every one of these reports. No Software attach, something M$ practically created and relied on last generation with these type of PR sales reports is also noticed.

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@Bigboi500: I got the TF bundle at Amazon just a few days ago for 450. I'm really enjoying it so far. If it were to drop to 400 I'd say it'd be definitely be worth it.

I own Titanfall on Xbone, but I don't play the game much. It's too solo centric to me and doesn't capture teamwork essence I like in my online shooters. COD was like that as well and I never loved it for the same reason. I like teamwork.

I would say $400 would be worth it if there were a few games the person planned on buying with the unit. As of now I'm waiting for E3 to get excited for games for all the consoles, but mainly the Xbone. M$ had a $400 TF bundle from their store and many of my friends held off. I tried but they weren't into the game lineup so I don't agree it's definitely worth it, but I do think it's worth it for some depending on their taste.

#31 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

Very impressive! And now, with Microsoft actively working to right the ship, I hope they get even better numbers in the future! :)

They're still third place though

#32 Posted by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Yeah, the Ps4 is just kicking ass and taking names when it comes down to units sold, but X1 isn't doing too bad. Remember how we all reacted to the DRM, and all that?

Feels so long ago. They seem to be doing okay though. People are buying it, and the games that are available, so it's not all doom and gloom for MS. They're trying.

Not surprised though 8)

Man if Sony managed another PS1/PS2 style domination it would be brutal.. Assuming they end up winning the gen, they'd tie with Ninty right? NES, SNES, Wii vs PS1, PS2, PS4. They'd be in the big boys league! lol

And MS would go 3 full gens without actually winning :P

Still, it's pretty good to see that the gap isn't big enough for many 3rd parties to decide to only one way or the other. Means more great games for all of us! :D

#33 Posted by Spitfire-Six (460 posts) -

I think this is great, and it shows the console market is very healthy. They aren't beating the competition but they are ahead of their own benchmarks from the 360 and that shows improvement. As someone trying to get into this industry its doing much better than film industry right now.

#34 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (10888 posts) -

@SolidTy: Yeah that's true. If you're not looking forward to much, then yeah it's not worth it. I personally don't mind. I know there will be more games coming.

#35 Edited by clr84651 (5274 posts) -

That is sold into retailers. How many are still sitting in stores? Sony's numbers of over 7 million were consoles sold to people and not sold to retailers. Looks like Sony is about 2.5 million ahead.

#36 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

That is sold into retailers. How many are still sitting in stores? Sony's numbers of over 7 million were consoles sold to people and not sold to retailers. Looks like Sony is about 2.5 million ahead.

Yay?

#37 Edited by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

I wonder if the MS conference next week includes april...

#38 Posted by I_can_haz (6440 posts) -

Lolz shipped numbers. They are probably around 4 million sold to actual customers.

#39 Edited by SolidTy (41427 posts) -
@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@SolidTy: Yeah that's true. If you're not looking forward to much, then yeah it's not worth it. I personally don't mind. I know there will be more games coming.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, I don't mind either. I'm hoping they roll out Games for Gold for Xbone someday soon because I would welcome the chance to turn the Xbone on and play some stuff that I would normally pass up. Somehow the financially strapped Sony has been releasing games with PS+ for the PS4. It's a tough run for new machines software wise (as expected at every launch window) so E3 should be fun.

Luckily, I'm still catching up on last gen backlog. :)

#40 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12748 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

That system is doing grand. So long as Microsoft remembers that with great power, comes great responsibility...

Where's the power?

#41 Posted by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

Very impressive! And now, with Microsoft actively working to right the ship, I hope they get even better numbers in the future! :)

They're still third place though

They will as soon as the price lowers a bit, globally. When can they do that? I have no damn idea.... E3? Fall? Holidays? 2015? Beats me really. It's not like they aren't selling well, the PS4 is just selling more.

#42 Posted by Prawephet (51 posts) -

@Desmonic: Sony has "sold-through" over 7 million. That means Sony has over 7 million consoles in people homes.

Microsoft has sold 5 million to stores which means that likely have sold-through 4-4.5 million consoles.

The gap widened. And that was with Titanfall launch, Titanfall bundle, price parity with ps4 in many regions and other things. Very sad for Microsoft. Very funny that apparently price point isn't the reason the x1 isn't selling.

#43 Posted by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

Lolz shipped numbers. They are probably around 4 million sold to actual customers.

That's way more stuffing than can fit in the turkey. Unless you spread it on top but who does that? Won't even stick unless you use butter. But who puts butter on turkey? Yuck.

#44 Posted by clr84651 (5274 posts) -

@Desmonic: Sony has "sold-through" over 7 million. That means Sony has over 7 million consoles in people homes.

Microsoft has sold 5 million to stores which means that likely have sold-through 4-4.5 million consoles.

The gap widened. And that was with Titanfall launch, Titanfall bundle, price parity with ps4 in many regions and other things. Very sad for Microsoft. Very funny that apparently price point isn't the reason the x1 isn't selling.

Shhh! Lems wont like this. They want to believe the price point is why the PS4 is selling more.

#45 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

That's way more stuffing than can fit in the turkey. Unless you spread it on top but who does that? Won't even stick unless you use butter. But who puts butter on turkey? Yuck.

NPD's hit ya hard mate. lol

#46 Edited by happyduds77 (1364 posts) -

Amazing. Even with bad business models and a lackluster library these consoles do ridiculously well.

Congrats Microsoft.

#47 Posted by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@freedomfreak said:

@Desmonic said:

Not surprised though 8)

Man if Sony managed another PS1/PS2 style domination it would be brutal.. Assuming they end up winning the gen, they'd tie with Ninty right? NES, SNES, Wii vs PS1, PS2, PS4. They'd be in the big boys league! lol

And MS would go 3 full gens without actually winning :P

Still, it's pretty good to see that the gap isn't big enough for many 3rd parties to decide to only one way or the other. Means more great games for all of us! :D

PS3 and 360 still have a chance to outsell the Wii.

Also, I don't think PS2 domination is possible. Such closeness even with shipped numbers would not even be possible. By now, Wii U and Xbox One would drop off to selling 300k word wide a month and the PS4 would be at 15 million shipped by now. That is not happening. Ps4 is not pumping out enough games for that momentum.

#48 Posted by xhawk27 (7071 posts) -

At least they are not combining sales of two consoles together. ;)

#49 Posted by stuff238 (610 posts) -

That is sad for microsoft. They probably have not even hit 4 million sold to actual consumers yet.

#50 Edited by Couth_ (9915 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Couth_ said:

This is assuming Kinect is their only issue. Which it's not. They sold 5 million with the thing bundled. They just need to fix the gold paywall and price. I may dare say they have no need to remove Kinect if they make the parts cheaper to make.

Well it's not the only issue but without kinect the system would have been some combination of cheaper/better spec'd. At the end of the day cost/performance ratio is the deciding factor for most consumers