Xbox One named a top "breakthrough" product of 2013 by P. M.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by blackace (21269 posts) -

From Gamespot front page news. Microsoft's XBox One is one of Popular Mechanic's Top 10 "breakthrough" products of 2013.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-named-a-top-breakthrough-product-of-2013/1100-6415539/

Popular Mechanics magazine calls Xbox One both evolutionary and revolutionary; Oculus VR founder named to list of innovators who changed the world in 2013.

************************************************************************************

Looks like they love what the Kinect can do. Seiki is also releasing a 50" 4K Ultra high-Definition TV for only ($1500)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/the-10-breakthrough-products-of-2013?click=pp#slide-4

#2 Posted by TheKingIAm (1531 posts) -

lol

#3 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2954 posts) -

Indeed it looks like quite an incredible device

#4 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

It is revolutionary but for all the wrong reasons.

#5 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (30 posts) -

Sure, why not!

#6 Edited by blackace (21269 posts) -

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

It is revolutionary but for all the wrong reasons.

Depends on how you look at it. We haven't really seen how the new Kinect will play games yet. Gotta give it a couple years.

#7 Posted by YD_11 (1867 posts) -

The only games system to make the list it says. I'm excited about the possibilities with a much improved and now standard feature for use by any dev

#8 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

As a person who is concerned about privacy I consider this console a revolutionary tragedy. Plus with all the latency tied in with this thing there's little chance any good games are going to come for it, but we'll just see in a "few years" how well poorly it turns out.

#9 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23433 posts) -

It'd be a breakthrough if they stuck to their guns and made it all-digital. The biggest disappointment with the Xbone was them caving in to the initial internet whining.

There's *always* initial internet whining Microsoft. You should know this by now.

#10 Posted by blackace (21269 posts) -

@jer_1 said:

As a person who is concerned about privacy I consider this console a revolutionary tragedy. Plus with all the latency tied in with this thing there's little chance any good games are going to come for it, but we'll just see in a "few years" how well poorly it turns out.

A lot of the latency issues have been fixed. It's improved over the previous Kinect. Even the Kinect on the XBox 360 was able to play some games very well. Kinect Sports, Dance Central, Kinectimals and Kinect Adventures were all decent games with some minor issues. I've played all of them with family and friends, dozens of times, so I know. Just knowing that this new Kinect is a huge improvement makes me interested to see what they can do with it. You've obviously have never owned a Kinect. Most people who have been bashing it, had never even tried it or just felt it wasn't for them.

#11 Edited by cainetao11 (18754 posts) -

@blackace said:

@jer_1 said:

A lot of the latency issues have been fixed. It's improved over the previous Kinect. Even the Kinect on the XBox 360 was able to play some games very well. Kinect Sports, Dance Central, Kinectimals and Kinect Adventures were all decent games with some minor issues. I've played all of them with family and friends, dozens of times, so I know. Just knowing that this new Kinect is a huge improvement makes me interested to see what they can do with it. You've obviously have never owned a Kinect. Most people who have been bashing it, had never even tried it or just felt it wasn't for them.

I do have Kinect and Gunstringer, and Child of Eden were fun. I also liked its use in ME3. We'll see about the new one. As for privacy, nothing invades privacy more than letting every person have a video camera on their phone. You are watched almost all the time by the people around you. And whats to stop hacking your PC, phone, anything. If you have something to hide, I guess you should fear Kinect.

#13 Posted by Gue1 (11005 posts) -

@Ninja-Hippo said:

It'd be a breakthrough if they stuck to their guns and made it all-digital. The biggest disappointment with the Xbone was them caving in to the initial internet whining.

There's *always* initial internet whining Microsoft. You should know this by now.

please, elaborate. How was the Xbone better before than now? Because all I hear is about the family sharing and lems thinking that they could buy only 1 game and 8 others would play it for free. You really think MS would allowed that? Do you realize that MS is the kind of company that block devs from giving free DLC, right?

#14 Edited by Douevenlift_bro (5729 posts) -

Sure. It was a revolutionary failure in everything gamers expected from it

#15 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

Its a great piece of forward thinking, creative tech for the living room and one hell of a game console from what I've seen so far. Sony wasn't on their because all they did was make a more powerful PS3. And there aint a damn thing wrong with that, as that's what their intent was. But I am very pleased with the route MS has take with the Xbox One. I wanted something different and that's what I'm getting. Good to see its recognized for being a breakthrough.

#16 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28464 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@Ninja-Hippo said:

please, elaborate. How was the Xbone better before than now? Because all I hear is about the family sharing and lems thinking that they could buy only 1 game and 8 others would play it for free. You really think MS would allowed that? Do you realize that MS is the kind of company that block devs from giving free DLC, right?

lol so does sony or is the fact I paid for dlc on psn my own delusioned mind or something?

#17 Posted by silversix_ (15549 posts) -

This is how MS is building hype for their pathetic system most gamers point fingers at and laugh? haha. Breakthrough in patheticness is more like it.

#18 Edited by Scipio8 (794 posts) -

The Xbox One is the only true forward thinking next gen system and I'll be playing it on Nov 22nd. Have fun cows with the pathetic PS3.5

#19 Edited by NFJSupreme (5386 posts) -

No shock here. It is an impressive device that does more than any other console has ever done right out the box. People will buy it and people here who think it will flop are just idiot trolls who don't represent even .1% of the prospective buyers. I'm still getting a PS4 first most likely but the xbone will look real sweet in my living room later down the line. Just waiting for the price to come down.

#20 Posted by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

I dunno. I honestly don't see what's so impressive about it. It has a few neat capabilities, but that's it--they're neat not impressive. Furthermore they add no real value to the device, they're auxiliary to the console. Great for the experience but the experience would still be great without those features.

As a consumer I see more value in the PS4.

#21 Posted by John_Matherson (2086 posts) -

I was wondering how Gamespot could afford such a fancy new website. Haha jk. Don't ban me.

#22 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

The kinect alone is definately a very robust technological feature that i think has not been seen in any medium to be frank.

#23 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43199 posts) -

Kinect does look pretty interesting piece of technology, but it's a pity that it's so incredibly limiting for gaming.

#24 Posted by Boddicker (2983 posts) -

I wondered how much MS shelled out for that endorsement.

#25 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@TheKingIAm said:

lol

#26 Edited by NFJSupreme (5386 posts) -

@shellcase86 said:

I dunno. I honestly don't see what's so impressive about it. It has a few neat capabilities, but that's it--they're neat not impressive. Furthermore they add no real value to the device, they're auxiliary to the console. Great for the experience but the experience would still be great without those features.

As a consumer I see more value in the PS4.

it depends on what you want from the device. If you are just looking for a gamecentric console that does that well then yeah the PS4 has more value. More power yet cheaper. More accomplished first party devs. And apparently slightly easier to develop for because of unified memory and not dealing with esram. So yeah as far as gaming goes it's more valuable. But not everyone is all about games games games. Some people want other features as well and to them having a device that turns their tv into a $2,000 smart tv that has voice controls, a slick interface that lets you swap between gaming and watching tv on the fly, lets you skype while watching tv or gaming, can actually recognize you and save your own personalized settings, while also being a very capable gaming machine with comparable capability to the PS4 in terms of power while also having much more established and reliable online ecosystem. Things like this appeals to a lot of people gamers and none gamers alike. The xbone to me is the more impressive piece of tech. That doesn't mean I'm going to get one at launch or at all but as they say, real recognize real and I can acknowledge its achievements.

#27 Posted by blackace (21269 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

This is how MS is building hype for their pathetic system most gamers point fingers at and laugh? haha. Breakthrough in patheticness is more like it.

Someones jelly. lol!! You mad?!?

#28 Edited by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

Streaming video? That's old hat, I tell you. The future of entertainment is the space age miracle known as Cable Television! No need to browse through confusing menus or fiddling with those confusing dubya dubya intermanet addresses-- you have the hundred channels off non-stop content, and you will never have to choose what to watch because those TV exec super geniuses keep it simple and choose all the content for you! It's even available in glorious 21st century HiFi definamition, for the easy price of just a hundred dollars a month!

#29 Posted by Thunder7151 (443 posts) -

Two things are very true, and they are:

XBOX ONE is definitely a breakthrough product.

Cows are definitely very jealous.

#30 Posted by navyguy21 (13053 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@blackace said:

@jer_1 said:

I do have Kinect and Gunstringer, and Child of Eden were fun. I also liked its use in ME3. We'll see about the new one. As for privacy, nothing invades privacy more than letting every person have a video camera on their phone. You are watched almost all the time by the people around you. And whats to stop hacking your PC, phone, anything. If you have something to hide, I guess you should fear Kinect.

So paranoid that its sad. (not you, the other guy)

No one is going to get their kinect hacked over XBL, let alone on a PC

You would have to install something on your console to give someone control, and their arent those kinds of programs on XBL or PSN, and you cant submit them. Lets be realistic here dude. Consoles arent open platforms like PC, where i can get suckered with an email.

If i give my XBL or PSN account info away, then thats me, but that STILL doesnt make my camera live.

And what logical reason would MS allow NSA to spy on people?

Are people seriously that naive?

lmao, fear kinect

#31 Posted by UNcartMe (632 posts) -

Whenever I see sstuff like this regarding Microsoft, I can't help but laugh. How much did they pay them or are they really that much of a MS fanboy?

#32 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28464 posts) -

@UNcartMe said:

Whenever I see sstuff like this regarding Microsoft, I can't help but laugh. How much did they pay them or are they really that much of a MS fanboy?

hmmmmmmm

http://gizmodo.com/344680/the-real-reason-warner-went-blu+ray

Odd Sony paying someone off?

#33 Posted by UNcartMe (632 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker: I'm not saying Sony doesn't do it, but with how bad the XB1 and MS have been in the press, you can't help but think that their PR team is hard at work.

#34 Edited by navyguy21 (13053 posts) -

@UNcartMe: With all the paying off of people you guys claim MS does..........you would think they would do it more often according to your logic.

Why would they choose to pay THESE guys off and not the media outlets that controlled their downfall after the reveal and E3?

How would THIS even help with the gaming image?

How would THIS help soccer moms?

You guys need to start thinking these accusations through.....

#35 Posted by UNcartMe (632 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

@UNcartMe: With all the paying off of people you guys claim MS does..........you would think they would do it more often according to your logic.

Why would they choose to pay THESE guys off and not the media outlets that controlled their downfall after the reveal and E3?

How would THIS even help with the gaming image?

How would THIS help soccer moms?

You guys need to start thinking these accusations through.....

Freedom of Press boy. You cannot pay everyone off. Every company does it, and in this case, it is can go either way. My guess is that they are either really intrigued with kinect or they were "paid off".

#36 Posted by navyguy21 (13053 posts) -

@UNcartMe: lol, so sad that you actually believe that

You cant pay everyone off............yet there were NO positive stories around that time. You'd think they'd pay SOMEONE............BOY!

#37 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Well it does seem to be one of the more progressive multimedia devices out there.

I mean it not only pushes multimedia, but pushes to actually enhance the experience people have while using it.

It's not just a beefed up version of what we got last gen.

#38 Posted by loosingENDS (11790 posts) -

Indeed, looks like selling inferior hardware for superior price has never been done before

MS is the pioneer here, noone can deny

#39 Posted by tormentos (19594 posts) -

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/201783/FROM_THE_ZIP_TO_THE_PS4_ndash_ONE_HUNDRED_YEARS_OF_THEWORLDrsquoS_MOST_INFLUENTIAL_GADGETS.php

AAnd sony won mos influential product of 2013....hahahaaa...

Top 100 gadgets in 100 years,the PS1,the PS2 and the xbox 360 make it into the list the PS3 was beat by SD cards..

#40 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3281 posts) -

The X1 will be a hot item on release, not only is it an intriguing piece of hardware, the game lineup so far is great. Looking forward to see what it will do next gen.

#41 Edited by blackace (21269 posts) -

@UNcartMe said:

Everytime a Microsoft hardware or game receive some award, jelly cows come on here to complain that M$ paid for the award. How stupid can you fools be? They did the same complaining when Titanfall won all those awards. Stop your whining, it's embarrassing.

#42 Posted by StormyJoe (6346 posts) -

@blackace said:

From Gamespot front page news. Microsoft's XBox One is one of Popular Mechanic's Top 10 "breakthrough" products of 2013.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-named-a-top-breakthrough-product-of-2013/1100-6415539/

Popular Mechanics magazine calls Xbox One both evolutionary and revolutionary; Oculus VR founder named to list of innovators who changed the world in 2013.

************************************************************************************

Looks like they love what the Kinect can do. Seiki is also releasing a 50" 4K Ultra high-Definition TV for only ($1500)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/the-10-breakthrough-products-of-2013?click=pp#slide-4

Proof of what people like me have been saying since E3: Xbox One: Next Gen. PS4: Hardware upgrade.

#43 Posted by Phazevariance (11032 posts) -

Kinect truly is a remarkable piece of technology, so i have to agree. That doesn't, however, mean that it will integrate into gaming flawlessly. So hardware wise, yeah its awesome, but for usage, we'll see and no high hopes on that.