Xbox One is playing 'the long game'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/02/12/major-nelson-xbox-one-os-is-a-long-game/?partner=yahootix

sorry bro cable TV is not the future.

#2 Posted by Netret0120 (2160 posts) -

Lems can't catch a break.

#3 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9477 posts) -

That's definitely not reassuring. Microsoft's "long game" last gen consisted of less exclusives and more Kinect + entertainment services.

#4 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10432 posts) -

Chicks dig the long game

#5 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

"Ok we know we aren't doing as well as we hoped and we aren't selling massive amounts of systems and games and xbox one products as we want and generally aren't highly favored but...but but...ummmmm WERE PLAYING A LONG GAME! Yeah that's the ticket, we aren't worried about selling a lot right now we want to sell a lot over a long period of time!......yeah that's it"

#6 Posted by jsmoke03 (12906 posts) -

it should say the "wrong game" because trying to go all in one made the gaming part (which is the most important part ) weaker than it should have been. that 100 million dollars they spent on the controller alone should have been put for better ram or gpu or something

#7 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

That's definitely not reassuring. Microsoft's "long game" last gen consisted of less exclusives and more Kinect + entertainment services.

I honestly wished they never brought Kinect in last gen, I applauded the innovation but it wasn't needed and MS could have released so many new IP's thus my 360 started collecting more dust and my PS3 started to get more love.

#8 Posted by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Exactly how I feel and why i'm not buying another MS console. First party support for the majority of last gen was incredibly poor from MS :(

#9 Posted by dreamdude (4614 posts) -

Whatever you got to tell yourself.

#10 Posted by misterpmedia (3387 posts) -

It's definitely going to be a long ass gen for the Xbox lol Holy christ. Every multiplatform disparity will get hammered home again and again. I feel sorry for it to be honest as I felt the pain with the PS3 last gen.

#11 Posted by DaBrainz (7666 posts) -

They meant we will be waiting a long time for any decent games. I can only play so much madden on the thing.

#12 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

Best to wait a year for more games, a better OS, and more stable hardware.

#13 Posted by leandrro (871 posts) -

so is WII U

#14 Edited by always_explicit (2906 posts) -

I think people forget the last generation was 10 years long....Of course they are playing the long game...its not damage control its just a blindingly obvious fact. Of course its good fodder for the cows. The PS4 is so dull and uninspiring cows need something to hate on to pass all that time they arent spending playing games. Dont worry greatness waits.

#15 Posted by donalbane (16347 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/02/12/major-nelson-xbox-one-os-is-a-long-game/?partner=yahootix

You can hook anything you want into that HDMI input, though. For example, there are some great videos on YouTube where people have their PCs and tablets hooked up to the Xbox 1 and they are able to do some really cool stuff. So maybe terrestrial cable is going to die out, but it would be easy to adapt the current system to utilize any HDMI output device. And for what it's worth, the TV stuff is pretty great in the interim. I couldn't live without pay cable, personally... True Detective is the best show on television right now.

#16 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

The long game as in catch up? Yeah they're going to be doing that for awhile.

#17 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@leandrro said:

so is WII U

I think Nintendo makes a new console within the next 3 years. Microsoft is stuck with Xbox One for the long haul...they've wasted too much money to scrap it.

#18 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

@donalbane said:

You can hook anything you want into that HDMI input, though. For example, there are some great videos on YouTube where people have their PCs and tablets hooked up to the Xbox 1 and they are able to do some really cool stuff. So maybe terrestrial cable is going to die out, but it would be easy to adapt the current system to utilize any HDMI output device. And for what it's worth, the TV stuff is pretty great in the interim. I couldn't live without pay cable, personally... True Detective is the best show on television right now.

I wouldn't recommend using the HDMI input on the Xbox One for anything that you care about ... it adds latency and reduces image quality.

A much better option is to use a different HDMI input on your HDTV and switch it with your remote.

#19 Posted by kuu2 (7332 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel: I keep hearing this but that is not the case with my TV or the TV service I use.

#20 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@Dire_Weasel: I keep hearing this but that is not the case with my TV or the TV service I use.

You keep hearing it, because it is true.

But, if you don't notice the difference, absolutely, keep using the HDMI in. I'm sure it's "good enough" for whatever video source you're using.

#21 Posted by Shewgenja (9297 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

In Europe, it is quite noticeable.

#22 Posted by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel said:

@kuu2 said:

You keep hearing it, because it is true.

But, if you don't notice the difference, absolutely, keep using the HDMI in. I'm sure it's "good enough" for whatever video source you're using.

There is no degradation of TV signal (at least for me). The first time I hooked the cable box to the Xbox One there was degradation. But that was because the Verizon FIOS cable box reset the output resolution to 720p. Once I set the resolution back to 1080i, everything was back to normal.

Cannot comment about the 50htz issue for Euro Xbox Ones.

#23 Edited by ominous_titan (720 posts) -

cows have nothing to do while their greatness awaits but bash the xbone and have so much titanfall jelly its oozing all over.

#24 Posted by StormyJoe (5387 posts) -

Cows now pointing out deadlines for an OS update... how sad.

#25 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14106 posts) -

One could say this is just another term for procrastination.

#26 Posted by kuu2 (7332 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@kuu2 said:

In Europe, it is quite noticeable.

Moogenja acting like he has a One.............

Again it must be a small sampling because I don't hear this widespread at all.

#27 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7167 posts) -

Cows making a mountain out of a mole hill. Typical.

#28 Posted by Ghost120x (3897 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Agreed. I bought an xbox 360 first last gen, and the support for great exclusives that they had at the beginning just disappeared with the huge focus on kinect. Eventually the ps3 got better and now I don't even cut my 360 on. The same thing might happen so I got a ps4 this time around, although the Xbox one exclusives look tempting.

#29 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

It's definitely going to be a long ass gen for the Xbox lol Holy christ. Every multiplatform disparity will get hammered home again and again. I feel sorry for it to be honest as I felt the pain with the PS3 last gen.

Lol, and yet the PS3 sold 80 million :) Seriously, gamers are gamers are gamers world wide a,d when MS drops the price and the big name exclusives hit it will sell just fine all gen long, just as it has so far. Multiplatform disparity hurt PS3 online but gamers enjoyed their games just the same if the PS3 was their system of choice. The One needs a price drop this year is all really. Their next 2 years gaming line up is just amazing. And unlike Sony, they aren't near broke, lol.

#30 Edited by blackace (20753 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Strange, there was nothing mentioned about Cable TV in that article. Someone needs to put the Bong away and delete his Gamespot account. lol!! Stop embarrassing yourself making to STUPID bias threads. Your future doesn't look bright.

#31 Posted by blackace (20753 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

Cows now pointing out deadlines for an OS update... how sad.

http://www.newsrealblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Grasping-at-Straws.jpg

#32 Edited by SolidTy (43375 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel said:

@donalbane said:

I wouldn't recommend using the HDMI input on the Xbox One for anything that you care about ... it adds latency and reduces image quality.

A much better option is to use a different HDMI input on your HDTV and switch it with your remote.

Besides the latency and reduced image quality using the HDMI input noted by posters and reputable technology websites for Xbone, another great reason to not use the HDMI Input extends the life of your Xbone so it can be turned off when not actually needed. The idea of having that thing on all the time just seems iffy to me for a thread about "the long game". It's a new machine that hasn't been through the proper paces. All systems eventually break sure, so no need in speeding up the process imo. After suffering through multiple RRODs last gen, I don't see the need of stress testing my machines more than normal.

#33 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Lems can't catch a break.

#34 Edited by SolidTy (43375 posts) -

M$ PR Major Nelson can't really say anything else. They are letting top management go and saying what they need to say.

#35 Posted by bobbetybob (19278 posts) -

Well duh. Everyone mocks the Xbox One but in 4+ years time when it's cheap and has a bunch of exclusives worth playing you'd be dumb not to pick one up. Same thing happened to the PS3 last gen.

#36 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7872 posts) -

All hail the Sony master race!

#37 Posted by Heil68 (44649 posts) -

Yea, when your competitor is setting sales records you cant say much else. Least you wont be last lems, that goes to the WiiU.

#38 Posted by jeffmonster (511 posts) -

Xbox One caters to people that are.......more than gamers. Thx MS!

#39 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@blackace said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Strange, there was nothing mentioned about Cable TV in that article. Someone needs to put the Bong away and delete his Gamespot account. lol!! Stop embarrassing yourself making to STUPID bias threads. Your future doesn't look bright.

#40 Edited by blackace (20753 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@blackace said:

@SEANMCAD said:

IN THE ARTICLE DUMMY!! LEARN TO READ. lol!! Stay away from the "TOPIC CREATE" button. Do us all a favor.

#41 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@blackace said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@blackace said:

@SEANMCAD said:

IN THE ARTICLE DUMMY!! LEARN TO READ. lol!! Stay away from the "TOPIC CREATE" button. Do us all a favor.

and what part of 'future proof' do you think they were talking about exactly? The 1080p feature?

from the article....'shifting from a pure gaming device into a multimedia machine that proved the prototype for the Xbox One'

#42 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

If anything, the ps3 evening out with the 360 in terms of sales after it's terrible start shows that the first year of console can mean very little in the long run. As for the TV nonsense, I don't think cable will exist in its current form by the end of the Xbox One's lifespan. But comparing the Xbox 360 dashboard at launch compared to today shows that the direction of the system can always shift.

#43 Posted by blackace (20753 posts) -
@SEANMCAD said:

@blackace said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@blackace said:

@SEANMCAD said:

and what part of 'future proof' do you think they were talking about exactly? The 1080p feature?

from the article....'shifting from a pure gaming device into a multimedia machine that proved the prototype for the Xbox One'

They are talking about an ALL IN ONE Entertainment Box. With Games and everything else. It's not just TV/Sports and CoD The PS4 is going to have the same shit. The PS3 was Sony's device into multimedia machine for the PS4.

#44 Posted by getyeryayasout (7533 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Chicks dig the long game

They do indeed, Crash.

#45 Edited by KBFloYd (13686 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Yea, when your competitor is setting sales records you cant say much else. Least you wont be last lems, that goes to the WiiU.

the question is...when will the wiiu go to last place? when will ms pass it up?

#46 Edited by Sagemode87 (998 posts) -

@misterpmedia: the thing is, PS3 was every bit as successful as 360 was outside of US. It's just that PS2 set impossible standards that no other console can realistically live up to. At a starting price of 600 dollars, PS3 was not going to.