Xbox One Getting TV DVR Functionality - Report

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

X1 does what PS4 don't with Windows 10, DX12 and StormCloud on the way.... game over man, game over. :P

Seriously love hearing this and was hoping it would happen soon. Likely will cancel the cable, finally, get Only a fast internet connection and go the Sling TV route. :D

Oh yeah, recently got me a 5TB HDD so plenty of room for lots of DVR'ing.

What say you?

The Story.

----

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-getting-tv-dvr-functionality-report/1100-6427127/

With Windows Media Center going away, Microsoft looks to Xbox One for TV DVR.

by Eddie Makuch on May 6, 2015

Currently, Microsoft's Xbox One allows users to watch live TV, but the system itself does not support recording functionality. Instead, that process is handled by your existing cable box. But that's going to change--and maybe soon--according to Microsoft blogger Paul Thurrott.

Sources told Thurrott recently that the Xbox One will receive an update--likely this year--to include TV DVR functionality. Thurrott didn't have anything more to say on the matter, but we've followed up with Microsoft asking for more details.

Thurrott's report comes after Microsoft confirmed that Windows Media Center will not be included with Windows 10 due to "decreased usage."

"Of course, many Media Center fans actually use the product to record and watch TV shows via Media Center PCs in the living room," he explained. "Microsoft's solution for this need will apparently be the Xbox One."

Windows 10 launches this summer as a free upgrade for existing Windows users. It will arrive first on PC, followed by other platforms--including Xbox One later down the road

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

Just... no thanks for me

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice

@Chutebox said:

Just... no thanks for me

You have an X1?

I mean, the cost isn't prohibitive or anything right, I mean it's free so why no thanks?

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

I really don't watch TV so this feature does nothing for me personally but still a nice feature to add for others that do.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 musicalmac
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I'm surprised it didn't ship with that ability. I thought it would be built-in, to be honest, especially after all that talk about how it integrates with your cable box--which you still need to have. :/

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

I would try it. Right now we pay $11 a month for DVR service, if this replaces it as good as quality then maybe I'll use it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox  Online

@SecretPolice: I do. Don't have cable and don't want cable. Not trying to say it sucks or anything. Obviously its good for those that will use it

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SecretPolice

@musicalmac: @BigShotSmoov007:

My X1 has become an integral part of my living room entertainment center and is used everyday even if I never play a game that day so I'm loving this and yeah mac, I thought it may launch with this as well and wondered if the idea may have been scrapped but so pleased to see it's coming. :)

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

cool. not a big deal but a cool feature

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

People still watch TV?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 musicalmac

@SecretPolice said:

My X1 has become an integral part of my living room entertainment center and is used everyday even if I never play a game that day so I'm loving this and yeah mac, I thought it may launch with this as well and wondered if the idea may have been scrapped but so pleased to see it's coming. :)

When I used my 360 a lot, it was also pretty central to my living room. But then I got an Apple TV and we use it a whole lot more than the 360. It's quieter, faster to get to what we want, and supports Airplay. Tough to beat it in a house full of Apple stuff.

And now the talk of a new one with its own app store on the way....

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice

@finalstar2007 said:

People still watch TV?

Yup, TV, Music, Movies, Games, I still do it all just like X1, I only do everything. :P

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

People still watch TV?

pretty sure more people watch tv than play the dumb bullshit weebo games you're into.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@finalstar2007 said:

People still watch TV?

Stupid comment.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice

@musicalmac said:
@SecretPolice said:

When I used my 360 a lot, it was also pretty central to my living room. But then I got an Apple TV and we use it a whole lot more than the 360. It's quieter, faster to get to what we want, and supports Airplay. Tough to beat it in a house full of Apple stuff.

And now the talk of a new one with its own app store on the way....

Bit the opposite for me, I just bought a new 65" TV the same time I bought the X1 and it has all the bells & whistles including Smart TV and all that jazz but haven't used it once since my X1 does all the things I want.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Great news for cord cutters like myself....now lets hear about those games MS

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 musicalmac

@SecretPolice said:

Bit the opposite for me, I just bought a new 65" TV the same time I bought the X1 and it has all the bells & whistles including Smart TV and all that jazz but haven't used it once since my X1 does all the things I want.

What kind of smart TV? Not Samsung, I hope. They listen in to your conversations and share it with 3rd parties. It says so in the agreement.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SecretPolice

@musicalmac said:
@SecretPolice said:

What kind of smart TV? Not Samsung, I hope. They listen in to your conversations and share it with 3rd parties. It says so in the agreement.

Haha, no, I read about that as well, it's a Vizio, and not what I would have preferred but like the X1, I got it at a super low BF price, I just couldn't pass up the deal. Had been looking to replace my older 70" Hitachi with a new Hitachi but for the price deference, I had to go this route.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

#NoGames am confirmed. GG MS, better luck next gen.

Am I doing it right? :D

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 musicalmac

@SecretPolice said:
@musicalmac said:
@SecretPolice said:

Haha, no, I read about that as well, it's a Vizio, and not what I would have preferred but like the X1, I got it at a super low BF price, I just couldn't pass up the deal. Had been looking to replace my older 70" Hitachi with a new Hitachi but for the price deference, I had to go this route.

Vizio is good, don't fret. We have a small Vizio in the house that works like a charm.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice

@Desmonic said:

#NoGames am confirmed. GG MS, better luck next gen.

Am I doing it right? :D

It's almost like you've been doing it forever and became a master at it. :P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Nah, I'm good.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

People still watch TV?

Really? Maybe I'm giving you too much credit but figured the fact that TVs still bring new shows every season would be a dead give away that the majority still make use of it.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

X1 does what PS4 don't with Windows 10, DX12 and StormCloud on the way.... game over man, game over. :P

Seriously love hearing this and was hoping it would happen soon. Likely will cancel the cable, finally, get Only a fast internet connection and go the Sling TV route. :D

Oh yeah, recently got me a 5TB HDD so plenty of room for lots of DVR'ing.

What say you?

The Story.

----

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-getting-tv-dvr-functionality-report/1100-6427127/

With Windows Media Center going away, Microsoft looks to Xbox One for TV DVR.

by Eddie Makuch on May 6, 2015

Currently, Microsoft's Xbox One allows users to watch live TV, but the system itself does not support recording functionality. Instead, that process is handled by your existing cable box. But that's going to change--and maybe soon--according to Microsoft blogger Paul Thurrott.

Sources told Thurrott recently that the Xbox One will receive an update--likely this year--to include TV DVR functionality. Thurrott didn't have anything more to say on the matter, but we've followed up with Microsoft asking for more details.

Thurrott's report comes after Microsoft confirmed that Windows Media Center will not be included with Windows 10 due to "decreased usage."

"Of course, many Media Center fans actually use the product to record and watch TV shows via Media Center PCs in the living room," he explained. "Microsoft's solution for this need will apparently be the Xbox One."

Windows 10 launches this summer as a free upgrade for existing Windows users. It will arrive first on PC, followed by other platforms--including Xbox One later down the road

I don't get it why will you cancel cable this doesn't replace it it just let you record if you have it,if you don't have cable your DVR is useless unless you are into free air programming.

Or am i missing something.?

http://gizmodo.com/playstation-vue-review-online-tv-is-great-but-its-sti-1693819089

But like most times MS is a day late and a dollar short.

Before going too much further, let's talk about what PlayStation Vue is and what it isn't. At its very basic, Vue is like having cable, but you don't need to call a cable guy to set it up. It works over the internet—much like YouTube or Netflix—by streaming your shows. Oh, and you don't need to set up a DVR, either. Vue can "record" any show, any channel for up to 28 days with absolutely no storage caps. As long as you're somewhat vigilant with your viewing habits, you'll never miss an episode again. This means that all of the headaches you suffer from WiFi limitations will now apply to your television, but you don't have to deal with cable companies ever again. Unless you're paying them for your internet, of course...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice

@tormentos:

My cable box is my DVR so I have been flirting a long time telling the cable company to go pound salt but just needed a push, with the X1 being able to assume the role of my Cable/DVR box and using Sling TV, I'm gonna save a bundle instead of paying for my cable and rental on the cable/dvr box.

You saying suddenly PS4 has a pass through like X1 plus is acting as a DVR right now?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@SecretPolice: Aww, thanks. I'm no master........yet :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice

@Desmonic:

hehe, you may be a cunning linguist but I'm a mater debater. :P

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tormentos

@mems_1224 said:
@finalstar2007 said:

People still watch TV?

pretty sure more people watch tv than play the dumb bullshit weebo games you're into.

And this ^^^ is the reason you got a weak console that was center around Tv enjoy...hahahaaa

@SecretPolice said:

Nice brand i think they will be the next LG,have some nice TV they aren't best but the quality you get for the price is great beat most sad TV out there,i use to have a 42 inch smart one from Vizio even had a keyboard on the back of the remote control sold it to a friend to get a new one,and i miss it it was 120mhz led one..

And i still have an old one which cost me like $1,400 back then a 40 inch one..

@SecretPolice said:

@tormentos:

My cable box is my DVR so I have been flirting a long time telling the cable company to go pound salt but just needed a push, with the X1 being able to assume the role of my Cable/DVR box and using Sling TV, I'm gonna save a bundle instead of paying for my cable and rental on the cable/dvr box.

You saying suddenly PS4 has a pass through like X1 plus is acting as a DVR right now?

Yep, the PS4 doesn't have pass though it doesn't need it,PS Vue works using your online connection,is IPTV basically so you don't need pass through,in fact if you use PS vue your PS4 would replace your cable box,unlike the xbox one which you need a cable box to be able to display those channels on xbox one.

If i drop cable for PS Vue i would be replacing 1 cable company for another,if your drop cable you don't have those channels any more on xbox one,because the xbox one takes them from your cable box,what you can do is drop your PVR cable box and get one that is normal and use your xbox one as PVR,alto i don't know if your company will allow it.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

LOL

Your cable box has already had this function for years.

And odds are, it's sitting right above or below your XBone.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chikenfriedrice

@frank_castle said:

LOL

This isn't for those people....this is for the cord cutters like me who stream everything and have an OTA

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tormentos

@frank_castle said:

LOL

I know but cable companies charge you more for using a DVR box,you can save some money if your drop your dvr and use your xbox one.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chutebox  Online

@SecretPolice said:

@tormentos:

I'm pretty sure it's the app and not X1, but they need to hurry and get this shit fixed! Too many crashes/glitches right now. On X1 it'll just stop streaming randomly and the sound can become way, way out of sync. the sound problem also happens while using sling on PC.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chikenfriedrice

@Chutebox said:
@SecretPolice said:

@tormentos:

I'm pretty sure it's the app and not X1, but they need to hurry and get this shit fixed! Too many crashes/glitches right now. On X1 it'll just stop streaming randomly and the sound can become way, way out of sync. the sound problem also happens while using sling on PC.

Sling is pissing me off too....I am always 2 minutes away from cancelling until they figure their shit out but I am like today it will work! lol

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Cool feature that I probably will not use much, but it is always nice to have more options. I cannot stand cable and stick to Netflix/Xbox Video for pretty much all my TV/Movie needs. I'm very much looking forward to when Windows 10 hits Xbox One though, that should prove interesting.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chutebox  Online
@chikenfriedrice said:
@Chutebox said:
@SecretPolice said:

@tormentos:

Sling is pissing me off too....I am always 2 minutes away from cancelling until they figure their shit out but I am like today it will work! lol

It's almost perfect while watching on PC. When audio gets out of sync, which doesn't occur quickly, I just switch channels and it's fine. Just a minor annoyance. But I stopped watching on X1 for now because that shit got old.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chikenfriedrice

@Chutebox: Yeah works on my phone, Ipad and mostly on my PC ( sometimes the quality is sub-hd ) but yeah the X1 app, which I was most looking forward to is bad.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

Why not? No one plays games on it anyway.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Well at least XBONE good for something now.....right?

@finalstar2007 said:

People still watch TV?

DareDevil, GoT, TheWire, Sherlock, Hannibal, Banshee, BrBa....etc.

Heck I doubt the movie in your sig will even touch DD, if MoS is anything to go by.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

People still watch TV?

More people still watch TV than play video games dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

Sounds like a useful feature, if it works well.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

This will make a good addition and save people money who don't want to give their cable company an extra $10 a month or so for a DVR box. Just this feature alone in a three year period will pay for the cost of the console for those who have existing cable provided DVR's.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@musicalmac said:

I'm surprised it didn't ship with that ability. I thought it would be built-in, to be honest, especially after all that talk about how it integrates with your cable box--which you still need to have. :/

It has upsides - at least it doesn't take up your internet connection, imagine having TV snapped and Twitching and playing something at the same time if the TV was just streamed!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 musicalmac

@Salt_The_Fries said:
@musicalmac said:

It has upsides - at least it doesn't take up your internet connection, imagine having TV snapped and Twitching and playing something at the same time if the TV was just streamed!

What if it had shipped with a coax jack? There you go.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I'd be happier to see this if it weren't MS rubbing salt in the wounds of their Media Server customers.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

My DVR is a DVR...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SecretPolice

@tormentos:

Seeing as I'm hearing not so great things here about using Sling TV and that like cable also has a monthly fee.....

Yesterday I looked up all the Free TV stations I'd get in my area just by using a regular antenna and mang, most broadcast in HD and there's about 20 of them so I figure I may just use an amplified antenna and pick up a few more beyond those 20 or so, use the pass through and I'm all set. I think that works for me and if I want more I'll use Netflix and other services like it. :D

My X1 game playing time will likely increase since I'll spend less time watching a few hundred cable stations and movie channels. :P

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

Looks like MS is falling back on one of their original key points of the system

That is one way to get some use of the system all those people bought.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

A lot of salty people for a cool extra feature Microsoft created for their entertainment system. This is so much worse compared the Sony's "Stability" updates...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice

@playharderfool:

Way to prove mama right; stupid is as stupid does.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Eh at first I thought that would be cool....but there really isn't much memory so it's a waste.