Xbox Live vs. PS3 online

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts

I'm not sure what the name for PS3 online is called so cut me some slack...

Anyway, which is better? I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm trying to see the pros and cons of each, and hopefully help me decide if I should get a PS3 or not. I already have a 360.

Which has more people? What kinds of issues with lag are there? what kind of variety is there, etc.?

Thanks

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
It's called Playstation Network, or PSN for short. Overall, XBL is better in terms of content and services, but I tend to prefer PSN just because it's free.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Your gonna hear "it's so crappy they give it away for free" and crap like that, so you probably should have taken this to a PS3 forum... anyway.

To be honest, the PSN is much more solid in terms of online play. Little lag, and no god hosts like on the 360. Most games use dedicated servers so the games are more solid online. Xbox Live has the PSN in terms of features, but when Sony finally (it's been a long time coming) makes the in-game XMB due out this summer, they'll be much more evenly matched. Not to mention Home.

Right now, only way to send messages on the PSN is to exit your online game and check your inbox. Sometimes games have there own messaging system, as well as invite system.

The PS3 is awesome man, you should get one if you can afford it. Simply put, you wont regret it.

-HalleR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -HalleR-
Member since 2008 • 612 Posts
Take it from me, i own both.

Xbox pros: ingame dashboard and messaging, some people say better DLC but its opinion.

Xbox cons: no matter where i am, what game im playing, im always stuck on the 9 year old texan racists team. EVERYTIME.. other than that its good

-money for live, yea it counts.

PSN pros: Its free. Sony has litsened to its people and are, as we speak, renovating the PSN store or its done. lagless online ( same as xbox for me, others may differ)

PSN cons: No ingame dashboard or messaging, but the patch will fix that when it comes out.

- i didnt put in achievements, cuz personally i find them useless + home will kill that argument making it equal

-didnt put in music cuz i dont listen to it while playing games..
-HalleR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -HalleR-
Member since 2008 • 612 Posts

Xbox pros: ingame dashboard and messaging, some people say better DLC but its opinion.

Xbox cons: no matter where i am, what game im playing, im always stuck on the 9 year old texan racists team. EVERYTIME.. other than that its good

PSN pros: Its free. Sony has litsened to its people and are, as we speak, renovating the PSN store or its done. lagless online ( same as xbox for me, others may differ)

PSN cons: No ingame dashboard or messaging, but the patch will fix that when it comes out.

- i didnt put in achievements, cuz personally i find them useless + home will kill that argument making it equal

EDIT: PSN games usually uses dedicated servers which are usually better

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
blackice1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blackice1983
Member since 2006 • 2021 Posts

Your gonna hear "it's so crappy they give it away for free" and crap like that, so you probably should have taken this to a PS3 forum... anyway.

To be honest, the PSN is much more solid in terms of online play. Little lag, and no god hosts like on the 360. Most games use dedicated servers so the games are more solid online. Xbox Live has the PSN in terms of features, but when Sony finally (it's been a long time coming) makes the in-game XMB due out this summer, they'll be much more evenly matched. Not to mention Home.

Right now, only way to send messages on the PSN is to exit your online game and check your inbox. Sometimes games have there own messaging system, as well as invite system.

The PS3 is awesome man, you should get one if you can afford it. Simply put, you wont regret it.

carljohnson3456

sometimes i wonder if cows even oWn ps3's. theirs always going to be lag with dsERVERS or p2p . psn lags xbl lags.psn has a couple of d. sever games but most of tham are p2p just like xbl. but psn sucks because you have to quit out of your game to check messages

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

PSN is better because it's free and it has dedicated servers which means no lag what so ever.

zeldafan00013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 zeldafan00013
Member since 2004 • 6575 Posts

The PSN is Free to start - has much less lag, allows more players in one game.

Xbox Live has a better friends set up, more of my friends play on it, but overall lags more, cannot hold as many people and relys on hosts to often.

PSN is better but is still growing and needs more time before it will really become what XBOX LIVE originally was.

Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dion4ever
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts
I would say PSN is much better. It's free and the community is very nice. My friend says he always hears people swearing all over the place on Xbox Live.
blackice1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blackice1983
Member since 2006 • 2021 Posts

I would say PSN is much better. It's free and the community is very nice. My friend says he always hears people swearing all over the place on Xbox Live.Dion4ever

must be new to online gaming

Cubs360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cubs360
Member since 2006 • 3771 Posts
Live is a much better thought out online system, there are so many quirks that make it better, I am not going to list them all here, but just trust me.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

To summarise, XBL is better but you have to pay to play games online; PSN doesn't have as many features, but it's free.

/thread

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

Content wise, XBL is better, in Canada, it's barely better,
before you blast me with "you can watch tv shows on it", No. No you can't. Not available on XBL Canada.
Before you blast me with "over 300 movies" No. There is a small LIMITED selection of movies available on XBL Canada.
Before you give me "but, retro games!" Virtual console destroys PSN and XBL in that.
Current games? XBL has more, PSN has better ones, XBL has Uno which rules btw.
Themes? All cost money. (okay a couple free ones). All are free on PSN
So why do I say that XBL is better content wise? Simple, has more demos/downloadable content for games.

As far as connections,
ALL of xbl is p2p, except for PSU, which you pay additional monthly use fees for.
A couple PSN games have dedicated servers (Warhawk, Resistance).
Some is better than none.

Yes, I've had both.

hornymushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 hornymushroom
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts
psn is better becuase it provides the basic features for online but sony is improving this with xmb and home. Xbox is great but the x buttons features just feel like a bonus that isnt worth 5 $, Xbox sytem should be silver just lets you play online and give you little features but gold gives you everything. Forcing people to pay to play online is just pathetic and greedy
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

Live is better to be sure. The functionality is awesome & it's much easier for devs to get their games online whereas the net code is already in place & seemingly very stable. And Live has a metric ton of content.

PS Network is good & free, but it just doesn't have the amount of content you can find on Live & the ease of friends interactivity. But the games run well on dedicated servers.

Live is the better service at this time. I may change my mind once Home hits the PS3 though.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
xbl is superior. you get what you pay for.
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts

EDIT: PSN games usually uses dedicated servers which are usually better

---------------------------------------------------------------------------HalleR-

actually, only a few psn games use dedicated servers, and i think they're mostly first/second party. a few 360 games even use dedicated servers.

Arsenal325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Arsenal325
Member since 2005 • 4899 Posts

Pros of PSN as of now:

1. FREEE: no charge of anything except if you buy games on PS store

2. You can make up to 16 accounts and they dont have to be region locked.. So I can download demos from japan that haven't come out in the US PSN store yet.

3. Great online play : You think because its free that the online might not be that great and have lag but i actually have hardly ever recieved lag before on PSN.. only game i have seen lag was in rainbow six vegas.

4. hardware wise it comes with built in WiFi so you dont need a cord to travel all the way to a router.

5. simple to use. very easy to just sign in, download some demos or themes, go into video chats (6-way video chat), send messages, etc.

6. If you have a psp, youd be amazed at how well the ps3 and psp go together. they have really great features.

Cons of PSN as of now:

1. Xbox live usually gets demos before PSN

2. Home is not out but is coming soon

3. in game xmb is not out but is coming soon

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Pros of PSN as of now:

2. You can make up to 16 accounts and they dont have to be region locked.. So I can download demos from japan that haven't come out in the US PSN store yet.

3. Great online play : You think because its free that the online might not be that great and have lag but i actually have hardly ever recieved lag before on PSN.. only game i have seen lag was in rainbow six vegas.

4. hardware wise it comes with built in WiFi so you dont need a cord to travel all the way to a router.

5. simple to use. very easy to just sign in, download some demos or themes, go into video chats (6-way video chat), send messages, etc.

6. If you have a psp, youd be amazed at how well the ps3 and psp go together. they have really great features.

Cons of PSN as of now:

Arsenal325

With the PSN make-over going on now a lot of this could change a great deal in Sony's favor. I think these threads could go crazy once the remade PSN is finished.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Pros of PSN as of now:

Cons of PSN as of now:

Arsenal325

With the PSN make-over going on now a lot of this could change a great deal in Sony's favor. I think these threads could go crazy once the remake of PSN is finished.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts

PSN is free, and I have gotten less lag in the very few games I've played online, but as an overall service, XBL is much better, and has had it pretty much since day 1.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts

before you blast me with "you can watch tv shows on it", No. No you can't. Not available on XBL Canada.
Before you blast me with "over 300 movies" No. There is a small LIMITED selection of movies available on XBL Canada.
Before you give me "but, retro games!" Virtual console destroys PSN and XBL in that.
So why do I say that XBL is better content wise? Simple, has more demos/downloadable content for games.

As far as connections,
ALL of xbl is p2p, except for PSU, which you pay additional monthly use fees for.

Yes, I've had both.

Andrew_Xavier
Sucks for Canadians. You guys should go on strike, like in last weeks south park. I'd support you :D
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

As far as connections,

Yes, I've had both.

beast667

Sucks for Canadians. You guys should go on strike, like in last weeks south park. I'd support you :D

We want more moneys! From the internet, the internet has lotsa money, give us internet money!

Shift05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shift05
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts

PSN is better because it's free and it has dedicated servers which means no lag what so ever.

ReverseCycology

I dont understand why people try to point out dedicated servers for PSN when both systems are mainly P2P.To my knowledge The 360 even has more games which use Dedicated servers than the PS3.
R6V, Shadowrun, BF2 modern combat, Frontlines Fuel of war.

PS3
Warhawk, Resistance (Only dedicated after a certain numbers of players is met), and Fronlines Fuel of war.

Shift05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shift05

ReverseCycology

I dont understand why people try to point out dedicated servers for PSN when both systems are mainly P2P. To my knowledge the 360 even has more games which use Dedicated servers than the PS3.

360 Games with dedicated servers
R6V, PSU, Shadowrun, BF2 modern combat, Frontlines Fuel of war, Fantasy XI Online (not 100% sure on this one though, seems likely since it is an MMO)

PS3 Games with dedicated servers
Warhawk, Resistance (Only dedicated after a certain number of players is met), and Fronlines Fuel of war.

As well, there is no such thing as "no lag", even dedicated servers lag, sometimes even worse than P2P servers.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
You are wrong. Some XBOX LIVE games do use dedicated servers.
ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts

You are wrong. Some XBOX LIVE games do use dedicated servers.JiveT

bingo

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are wrong. Some XBOX LIVE games do use dedicated servers.ParadiddleFill

Name them, it's a fact that Uno shares servers with XBL itself.

huh?

It's a microsoft hosted game, it isn't on separate servers from the content retention servers.

Shift05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shift05

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are wrong. Some XBOX LIVE games do use dedicated servers.Andrew_Xavier

I named the games to my knowledge which have dedicated servers on the 360 in my above post.

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ParadiddleFill
[QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are wrong. Some XBOX LIVE games do use dedicated servers.Andrew_Xavier

huh?

It's a microsoft hosted game, it isn't on separate servers from the content retention servers.

whats your point its still run on a server on the live network

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are wrong. Some XBOX LIVE games do use dedicated servers.Shift05

I named the games to my knowledge which have dedicated servers on the 360 in my above post.

Shadowrun is on that games for window shared server, but, it still worked flawlessly for me, never had lag playing it, and trust me, I played it a ton.

R6V doesn't have dedicated

FFXI does, but, it's a $15.95 a month fee game

no idea about Frontlines

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts
Simply put XBL>>>>PSN. Anyone who says otherwise is being a fanboy...
Shift05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shift05
[QUOTE="Shift05"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Shadowrun is on that games for window shared server, but, it still worked flawlessly for me, never had lag playing it, and trust me, I played it a ton.

no idea about Frontlines

If you play Rainbow six vegas on the 360 you will see a box by the other information about the server you are about to join which indicates if the server you are about to join is Dedicated or not. It says "Dedicated" than will be followed by a Yes or no.

Shift05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shift05

no idea about Frontlines

If you play Rainbow six vegas on the 360 and search for a match you will see a box, by the other information about the server you are about to join, which indicates if the server you are about to join is Dedicated or not. It says "Dedicated" than will be followed by a Yes or no.

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ParadiddleFill

no idea about Frontlines

can you please provide some kind of link to back that up last time i checked shadow run ran on a dedicated server on the live network

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Andrew_Xavier

Simply put XBL>>>>PSN. Anyone who says otherwise is being a fanboy...DXGreat1_HGL

Or Canada, seriously, no one gets how screwed we are in Canada,
no tv shows, limited movies, points are WAY more expensive, live is more expensive, both are more expensive despite the canadian dollar being at par with the USD.... way less content, some live arcade games are missing/come later... it's annoying.

Don't believe me about the points?

You can't use an XBL USA point card in Canada, 4000 point cards for XBL USA are $50, 2800 point cards for XBL Canada, are $40, and things COST more points on the freakin Canadian XBL store, movies are more, download content is more...it's frustrating to the point of being pissed at MS.

Evilcator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Evilcator
Member since 2003 • 2306 Posts

It's a toss up for me...

One is free with less features but is developing new features while the other service will cost you but currently has more features.

Has MS announced new plans for Live?

I think by the year end Sony will have a better service that is free.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="Shift05"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are wrong. Some XBOX LIVE games do use dedicated servers.ParadiddleFill

no idea about Frontlines

can you please provide some kind of link to back that up last time i checked shadow run ran on a dedicated server on the live network

The games for windows version (PC) had one, it caused a ton of crashes/bugs/altered settings, so, it was rotated back in to the mix.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Rainbow Six Vegas has a dedicated server option users can choose designating they're 360 as a server and like all dedicated servers takes you out of the gameplay allowing for a faster connection for every one.

Battle field 2 uses dedicated servers.

Fuel of war uses dedicated servers.

Socom games AVG SIM players during peak hours AVG NUM of players per day

Socom:U.S Navy SEALs (ps2) 200-300 1,000

Socom II:U.S Navy SEALs (ps2) 1,500-2,000 6,000

Socom 3 (ps2 800-900 3,000

Socom:Combined Assault (ps2) 10,000 25,000

Socom: Fireteam Bravo (psp) 600-700 3,000-4,000

Socom: Fireteam Bravo 2 (psp) 2,000-3000 10,000-12,000

MotoRacer81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MotoRacer81
Member since 2007 • 720 Posts

I own both. XBL is better right now. Yes, you pay for it, but it's 4 dollars a month for pete's sake! It is soooooo much easier and a lot less pain in the a$$ than PSN. PSN isn't bad. It works pretty well. it just need to have in-game XMB pretty badly to start competing with Live. Until then XBL is still better Plus XBL has way more demos of games than PSN.

As far as game lag goes, I will give a little edge to PSN, but it's insignificant I think because XBL does not lag that much. I have had lag on both playing COD4. If all you care about is Online gaming, get the 360.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

I own both. XBL is better right now. Yes, you pay for it, but it's 4 dollars a month for pete's sake! It is soooooo much easier and a lot less pain in the a$$ than PSN. PSN isn't bad. It works pretty well. it just need to have in-game XMB pretty badly to start competing with Live. Until then XBL is still better Plus XBL has way more demos of games than PSN.

As far as game lag goes, I will give a little edge to PSN, but it's insignificant I think because XBL does not lag that much. I have had lag on both playing COD4. If all you care about is Online gaming, get the 360.

MotoRacer81

You're playing COD4 on BOTH systems? lol?

eric252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 eric252
Member since 2008 • 594 Posts
Personally, I love getting games with the people like the nine year old racist texans. Almost all of the time, people like that can be really funny in my opinion. Although, most of my friends on XBOX Live are either people I know, or the people that are bastards that make fun of people. Even though I have never played on PSN, my guess is that if you want a more serious gaming community, go with PSN, but if you want to just play a fun game and meet some cool/funny people, then go with XBOX Live.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

To be honest, the PSN is much more solid in terms of online play. Little lag, and no god hosts like on the 360. Most games use dedicated servers so the games are more solid online.

carljohnson3456

That's funny, because you are not being honest AT ALL. Most PSN games do not use dedicated servers, only Sony first party games have them so far. That's Resistance and Warhawk. Wow 2 games. (I might have missed one or two)

I really wish people would stop circulating the lie.

villa4europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 villa4europe
Member since 2004 • 7081 Posts

no lags whatsoever? im the only pro evo player here then :P

im more than happy with PSN, for me personally the built in wifi was a huge bonus, the shop is ok (create a few foriegn accounts to get the best out of it)

the only major downside ive seen is sometimes theres a lack of players, resistance for instance, you can always get an unranked game but you'd struggle to get a ranked meltdown game during the day

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 heretrix

no idea about Frontlines

Yes it does. Vegas 2 doesn't.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
XBL is great but now that PSN offers near the same amount of features, I see XBL less and less worth the money.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 heretrix
XBL is great but now that PSN offers near the same amount of features, I see XBL less and less worth the money.Wasdie
I'm definitely pro XBL, but I agree. Lets see what the spring and summer updates bring.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
XBL is great but now that PSN offers near the same amount of features, I see XBL less and less worth the money.Wasdie
XBL was never worth the money IMHO. I hate paying for an online service where I'm getting nothing in return. I demand a reliable service with dedicated servers.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
here is the real deal. ALL Sony made games that have online utilize dedicated servers (atleast all the ones i own) so the lag in those games is virtually none existant. Both onlines are good, but XBL is a little ahead. Maybe that will change with the release of home.
ajg891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ajg891
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

To summarise, XBL is better but you have to pay to play games online; PSN doesn't have as many features, but it's free.

/thread

EuroMafia
Are you sure you have played Xbox LIVE. Its totally and completely free to play online...and $50 dollars a year for the other content and is completely worth every penny due to the online advancements it has over other consoles. Please, check yourself before you speak.