XBOX LIVE COMPUTE: The Difference Engine

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

""We are giving this resource away to them for free, so there is a huge incentive to utilise it on Xbox One as much as possible"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-15-the-difference-engine

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free dedicated servers available to all developers!

GAME CHANGER, beat that Sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Emotion Engine vs Difference Engine

FIGHT!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

There's so many missing details as to whether this is actually any good. Personally i need to know:

1) How does the location of MS' data centres compare to the dedicated servers of last gen? MS seems to have only a handful at the moment, my nearest will give me near to 100ms of latency. There are many regions that simply don't have data centres, do they just have to wait?

2) How much is done server side? Is it more like Killzone where it's essentially P2P with the server connecting them together? His mention of "things like peer distribution" seems to suggest it.

3) What are Respawn using the cloud for exactly? They're consistently used as an example of offloading CPU tasks but all we get is the vague "AI" answer. We've no clue how substantial it is and it doesn't appear to be anything ground breaking going off the gameplay as it's not a particularly good looking game.

However this does seem to be offering good tools for the developers and taking a time constraint out of the process of building the multiplayer which is always nice.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@hoosier7: its funny watching the usual suspects here anf those at neogaf try to discount this news. Neogaf was saying it wasnt true until albert penello said explicitly it was.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

@XBOunity said:

@hoosier7: its funny watching the usual suspects here anf those at neogaf try to discount this news. Neogaf was saying it wasnt true until albert penello said explicitly it was.

Top post as usual XBOunity, added absolutely nothing, didn't try to argue any of my points...

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Well I'll say, it just so happens I have a picture of a "Difference Engine" handy:

Well what a modern piece of machinery it is.

This might seem like a joke, but as soon as I saw 'Difference Engine', this is what I thought of. Basically, the first 'computer' ever. Pretty funny to give a new piece of tech the same name as a super old piece of tech. lol, Xbox 'one'.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The news that cows don't want to hear. Seems to be more frequent these days. Sorry that Sony is stuck with a system from 2003. Bye.

TruthBToldShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthBToldShow
Member since 2011 • 352 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

There's so many missing details as to whether this is actually any good. Personally i need to know:

1) How does the location of MS' data centres compare to the dedicated servers of last gen? MS seems to have only a handful at the moment, my nearest will give me near to 100ms of latency. There are many regions that simply don't have data centres, do they just have to wait?

2) How much is done server side? Is it more like Killzone where it's essentially P2P with the server connecting them together? His mention of "things like peer distribution" seems to suggest it.

3) What are Respawn using the cloud for exactly? They're consistently used as an example of offloading CPU tasks but all we get is the vague "AI" answer. We've no clue how substantial it is and it doesn't appear to be anything ground breaking going off the gameplay as it's not a particularly good looking game.

However this does seem to be offering good tools for the developers and taking a time constraint out of the process of building the multiplayer which is always nice.

Well done

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@XBOunity said:

Well yeah. Because Sony is paying NeoGaf. lol!! They are their to promote the PS4 obviously and will bad mouth anything XBox One. I'm surprised they let Albert post.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

moron engine

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@blackace said:

@XBOunity said:

Well yeah. Because Sony is paying NeoGaf. lol!! They are their to promote the PS4 obviously and will bad mouth anything XBox One. I'm surprised they let Albert post.

Do you even read your posts sometimes to realize how ridiculous your conspiracy theory's are ? lol

as regards to the thread, Sony can't afford the servers because they're not filthy rich like M$, even though they have soo much money instead of investing some to make at least one last 360 game they're using up all that money on adds and T.V campaign.. the reason why i'm getting a Ps4 instead of an X1. They're gonna be the same in terms of capabilities, but i know for sure the PS4 will be handled with games. .while the X1 is just... unclear.. ?__?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

The XB1's move engines have custom compression hardware that is supposed to make cloud computing work well with current internet connections. It'll be interesting to see what devs can do with it, especially a few years down the road...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

@superclocked said:

The XB1's move engines have custom compression hardware that is supposed to make cloud computing work well with current internet connections. It'll be interesting to see what devs can do with it, especially a few years down the road...

Maybe core selling points of the console will be available outside the US by then as well. Exciting times.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

This will end up like Kinect, Sixaxis and Wii waggle: unused by most third-party devs (except for, in this case, MMORPG makers) and only really used by first-party. Prepare for major disappointment.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

@XBOunity said:

Top post as usual XBOunity, added absolutely nothing, didn't try to argue any of my points...

It's pnf4lyfe off Twitter, what did you expect?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@hoosier7 said:

@XBOunity said:

It's pnf4lyfe off Twitter, what did you expect?

I've just checked that out now and it's pretty tragic! Lol

murray69murray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 murray69murray
Member since 2013 • 127 Posts

whats this tech mambo jambo?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@XBOunity said:

You mean the same Panello who lied on neogaf and was call on its lies.?

The cloud is BS dude,and any game that requires it mean that is totally out of reach of people who don't have internet,king of make the whole 24 hour check up drop irrelevant when its games will need online if the use the cloud,developers know this that is the reason why only a hand full of games actually support the cloud,it cut potential sales which on launch already are low do to competition and low number of units available.

Cloud is a gimmick,funny how MS now refers to it more as compute and less in a cloud name like they did before,they know they were make fun with the whole cloud crap and want to drop the whole cloud naming,.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@superclocked said:

Move engines are nothing more than DMA on GCN all GCN have 2 the xbox one has 4,i don't think is in place for internet cloud computing,and i think they are more in place for Kinect.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Still wait and see for me but I'm paying attention. Hopefully it isn't long till we see how this is implemented

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

Old

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

There's so many missing details as to whether this is actually any good.

How could it possibly be bad?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@tormentos said:

@XBOunity said:

You mean the same Panello who lied on neogaf and was call on its lies.?

The cloud is BS dude,and any game that requires it mean that is totally out of reach of people who don't have internet,king of make the whole 24 hour check up drop irrelevant when its games will need online if the use the cloud,developers know this that is the reason why only a hand full of games actually support the cloud,it cut potential sales which on launch already are low do to competition and low number of units available.

Cloud is a gimmick,funny how MS now refers to it more as compute and less in a cloud name like they did before,they know they were make fun with the whole cloud crap and want to drop the whole cloud naming,.

Yes because dedicated servers and free resources is bad. Your fanboyism is pitiful.

Avatar image for ProjectNatalFan
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProjectNatalFan
Member since 2010 • 2471 Posts

@tormentos: its penello and of course its only real when you are playing that pseudo killzone dedis oh yeahhhhhhhh

Niles-Crane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Niles-Crane
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I prefer...the World Engine

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Here we go again!

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

Its not being done by Sony, so already for you its bad.

But i'll bite

1) Handful of main data centres maybe, but you're forgetting the numerous physical nodes they have around the world as well. I'm pretty sure everywhere the XOne is launching in is covered.

2) Well if Titanfall is any indication of whats to come, then no its nothing like the system Killzone impliments

3) They're using it for the AI. The AI is calculated server side. Dice are doing the exact same thing with the waves in BF4. They're calculated server side so that naval combat is actually feasible. (Riiight I guess its just accidentally winning awards left, right and centre)

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ProjectNatalFan

@RR360DD said:

@hoosier7 said:

But i'll bite

1) Handful of main data centres maybe, but you're forgetting the numerous physical nodes they have around the world as well. I'm pretty sure everywhere the XOne is launching in is covered.

2) Well if Titanfall is any indication of whats to come, then no its nothing like the system Killzone impliments

3) They're using it for the AI. The AI is calculated server side. Dice are doing the exact same thing with the waves in BF4. They're calculated server side so that naval combat is actually feasible. (Riiight I guess its just accidentally winning awards left, right and centre)

ohhhhh yeahhhh truth hertz. Cows wanna make believe that the cloud compute is a hoax and nothing positive will come of it, oh well it can only last so long for them. This move by Microsoft is awesome for devs. No other way to slice it, this kills neogaf and the usual suspects.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

People touting "the power of the cloud" remind me of the raccoon.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ProjectNatalFan

@Shewgenja: Yes I Know today has been a bad day for you. Driveclub delay, that horrendous 16 minute U.I video that looks like childs play compared to XBO UI and dedicated/cloud compute offer to every dev free of charge for XBO where Sony is struggling and way behind in this regard. lol if only you knew about software buddy.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

@blackace said:

@XBOunity said:

Do you even read your posts sometimes to realize how ridiculous your conspiracy theory's are ? lol

as regards to the thread, Sony can't afford the servers because they're not filthy rich like M$, even though they have soo much money instead of investing some to make at least one last 360 game they're using up all that money on adds and T.V campaign.. the reason why i'm getting a Ps4 instead of an X1. They're gonna be the same in terms of capabilities, but i know for sure the PS4 will be handled with games. .while the X1 is just... unclear.. ?__?

You're hating on a company for advertising? Really? Not a problem with the ads but the fact that they ARE advertising. Wow. Looks like SDF really has nothing to say about his.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

@RR360DD said:

@hoosier7 said:

But i'll bite

All i see is assumptions.

1) Nodes don't make up for a huge amount when it's still coming from the data centres, example, Dubai, i believe the nearest data centre is Belgium? You can't make up that sort of distance with nodes. This aspect feels planned from the initial standpoint MS took in having always on consoles in a handful of the biggest regions. If you travel as i do then there's no guarantee of these features yet again. It's a physical restriction, no two ways about this one.

2) Eh? Titanfall's no indication as there's been no confirmation of what's done server side hence point three, no mention of server mechanics involving the player. The devs themselves admitted the main improvement was in aspects in the multiplayer like host migration and the fact they don't have to source the servers themselves, which saved them time and money (as i acknowledged i might add). Given they've cozied up to MS they don't offer an example of what will be experience across all games too. Why do you think they're shipped out as the main bastion of MS' online power? It's plausible that the deal they've got is that Titanfall will receive full dedicated servers as you claim, but there's no proof of what every other game will receive. Why do you think everyone else is dead silent on the topic? There's a plethora of games that haven't been confirmed to be using the dedicated servers. It's odd that a developer wouldn't be screaming this from the rooftops that their game has dedicated servers and yet a few games such as EA's racing game were P2P last time they announced anything on the subject. Hence why i'm sceptical of all devs. I was clueless because of how well Killzone's system worked. It wouldn't surprise me if 9/10 of the last gen's games with dedicated servers ran off similar systems and it was just used as a marketing tool for the hardcore.

3) *slow clap* "all we get is the vague "AI" answer. We've no clue how substantial it is" Again, what parts of the AI? Interactions, pathfinding, group control of pathfinding or minor considerations such as the data collection as used in Forza? Data collection that is interpreted and applied to a limited set of criteria to give a play style to either mimic players (as Forza does) or to counter how a player is playing? We're utterly blind in this aspect. For a purely multiplayer title, it's fair to be sceptical as to the extent of the AI in the game. *facepalm* don't bring up awards we've all seen how that can go in unreleased titles and it seems little more than your fall back argument these days especially that as a lemming you now bring up awards when the Xbox was stomped most of the gen with MGS4 and Uncharted sweeping up the awards. You've also been critical of Killzone in the past despite it winning best multiplayer here before?

I'd love a link to the stuff on BF4's waves though. I'm interested how substantial it is given going off recent info the PS4 seems to be running BF4 at 1080p to the Xbox's 900p. If it is the case won't Dice be doing it across all systems removing any exclusivity to the Xbox anyway? Or is the PS4 hardware strong enough to make up the gap anyway?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

microsoft: why invest in decent hardware when you can misuse a word and hype it till idiots believe it.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@magicalclick said:

Free? Wow, MS is sure rich. It will take time to see more advanced and creative utilization on it. But, for starter, I sure love to see games hosted as dynamically allocated virtual server on the cloud. More players on the map and have more server side physics. Technically I love it is cloud over individual dedicated servers specifically build for one game and at most build for one publisher. The cloud is build for all Xbox One games, so, the workload is easily maxed at number of XBL Gold members online at same time. It is a much better use of resources and manage. No more opening up and shutting down servers. Logically, my use of online computational power can be moved from one game to another, which is not possible on traditional dedicated servers.

yep its definitely an awesome feature. Do you think indie devs will also use this cloud compute????