Xbone won't lose its exclusives from now on

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9055 posts) -

They wanted to make it look like they have more games than they actually have at launch by securing timed exclusivity of Ryse and Dead Rising 3. They had neither that much time, nor resources to develop multiple proper exclusives to be ready for launch. I know it makes perfect sense. Same case for Sony. The only exception is Microsoft felt like they have some money to burn on that.

I don't get why people panic out of sudden. To be honest, the notion of exclusivity has now become a bit muddled to say the least with Sony employing exactly the same tactics as Microsoft, so in a way only Nintendo games are 100% safe in this regards. However, I don't think that many (or any) Xbone offerings will lose their exclusivity from now on. Maybe some lesser titles, like Master Chief Collection once Halo 5 has its premiere (but Halo 5 won't come to PC for sure). I wouldn't worry about it. That's my two cents.

#2 Posted by Vecna (3394 posts) -

Keep the change.

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (41036 posts) -

I don't think so, considering it's Microsoft.

I don't see stuff like Infamous, Little Big Planet 3, Driveclub, Killzone, Knack, and others go to other platforms, because Sony has proper in-house developers. Same with Nintendo.

#4 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1639 posts) -

No need to create new thread about this. could've posted it in the other thread.

#5 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9055 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

I don't think so, considering it's Microsoft.

I don't see stuff like Infamous, Little Big Planet 3, Driveclub, Killzone, Knack, and others go to other platforms, because Sony has proper in-house developers. Same with Nintendo.

Sony's 1st party is constantly shrinking as it's not profitable, out of what you listed LBP3 is made by a studio for hire, Sumo Digital. They're making 360 port of Forza Horizon 2. You just invalidated your own point. I will re-emphasize what you tried to say. You implied Sony has proper in-house developers - then you listed LBP3 as its example.

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (41036 posts) -
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Sony's 1st party is constantly shrinking as it's not profitable, out of what you listed LBP3 is made by a studio for hire, Sumo Digital. They're making 360 port of Forza Horizon 2. You just invalidated your own point. I will re-emphasize what you tried to say. You implied Sony has proper in-house developers - then you listed LBP3 as its example.

Congrats. You managed to snag one out of the list.

Doesn't stop Sony from having studios that put out actual exclusives though, instead of paying developers for a game that will inevitably end up on other platforms.

#7 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Yeah sure. Now what? Xone's a failing system. No exclusive will remain an exclusive.

#8 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9055 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Sony's 1st party is constantly shrinking as it's not profitable, out of what you listed LBP3 is made by a studio for hire, Sumo Digital. They're making 360 port of Forza Horizon 2. You just invalidated your own point. I will re-emphasize what you tried to say. You implied Sony has proper in-house developers - then you listed LBP3 as its example.

Congrats. You managed to snag one out of the list.

Doesn't stop Sony from having studios that put out actual exclusives though, instead of paying developers for a game that will inevitably end up on other platforms.

Doesn't stop me from not caring about what exclusives they make. Apart from Naughty Dog, there's nothing special in there for me. And even if with Naughty Dog, there's nothing there to make me buy it.

Just wait and see for more games to materialize and then we can talk. There is new Gears of War game from Black Tusk which I'm beyond confident won't appear on PC, just like Fable Legends or Sunset Overdrive or Scalebound won't.

#9 Posted by PS4TrumpsXbox1 (1076 posts) -

Well considering the relationship Insomniac has with Sony, I wouldnt be surprised if SO eventually came to a ps4 or pc....

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (41036 posts) -
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Doesn't stop me from not caring about what exclusives they make. Apart from Naughty Dog, there's nothing special in there for me. And even if with Naughty Dog, there's nothing there to make me buy it.

Just wait and see for more games to materialize and then we can talk. There is new Gears of War game from Black Tusk which I'm beyond confident won't appear on PC, just like Fable Legends or Sunset Overdrive or Scalebound won't.

You not caring about them has nothing to do with the point here.

Well, Gears of War won't go anywhere because the IP is owned by Microsoft. Might go to PC. Don't know about those other titles. We've all seen it happening before with the Xbox360. Wouldn't be surprised if they did end up on other platforms.

#11 Posted by Bigboi500 (30108 posts) -

That's the spirit!

#12 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9055 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Doesn't stop me from not caring about what exclusives they make. Apart from Naughty Dog, there's nothing special in there for me. And even if with Naughty Dog, there's nothing there to make me buy it.

Just wait and see for more games to materialize and then we can talk. There is new Gears of War game from Black Tusk which I'm beyond confident won't appear on PC, just like Fable Legends or Sunset Overdrive or Scalebound won't.

You not caring about them has nothing to do with the point here.

Well, Gears of War won't go anywhere because the IP is owned by Microsoft. Might go to PC. Don't know about those other titles. We've all seen it happening before with the Xbox360. Wouldn't be surprised if they did end up on other platforms.

I guess one point that didn't register in your system yet is that Sony has been using 3rd party exclusives for a long time (and now they have less relevant 1st party studios than before). Of course they might have paid the devs shitload more so that Sony would retain the IP - which is probably what caused them such massive financial losses. Of course this - in the eyes of System Warriors - is perceived as something beyond pure and Paladin-esque.

#13 Posted by freedomfreak (41036 posts) -
@Salt_The_Fries said:

I guess one point that didn't register in your system yet is that Sony has been using 3rd party exclusives for a long time (and now they have less relevant 1st party studios than before). Of course they might have paid the devs shitload more so that Sony would retain the IP - which is probably what caused them such massive financial losses. Of course this - in the eyes of System Warriors - is perceived as something beyond pure and Paladin-esque.

Yes. Sony does it, too.

Again, it doesn't stop them from having proper in-house studios that they put to work on games that actually stay exclusive. The part about them paying devs a shitload of money to retain the IP? Proof? No, okay then.

Anything else you wanna add that steers this even farther away from Microsoft?

#14 Posted by handssss (1837 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@freedomfreak said:

I don't think so, considering it's Microsoft.

I don't see stuff like Infamous, Little Big Planet 3, Driveclub, Killzone, Knack, and others go to other platforms, because Sony has proper in-house developers. Same with Nintendo.

Sony's 1st party is constantly shrinking as it's not profitable, out of what you listed LBP3 is made by a studio for hire, Sumo Digital. They're making 360 port of Forza Horizon 2. You just invalidated your own point. I will re-emphasize what you tried to say. You implied Sony has proper in-house developers - then you listed LBP3 as its example.

Media Molecule is still making games, so how would they be shrinking? That'd be growing if anything because they are able to keep the exclusive IP and use another dev while the original creates yet another new IP.

#15 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2609 posts) -

Who owns the Quantum Break IP? It's the only game I'm interested because it's made by Remedy.

#16 Posted by freedomfreak (41036 posts) -
@zeeshanhaider said:

Who owns the Quantum Break IP? It's the only game I'm interested because it's made by Remedy.

Remedy.

#17 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4333 posts) -

Any game series not owned directly by Microsoft can potentially be ported to another system. Even a game owned by Microsoft can potentially come to PC, but Microsoft (wisely) usually avoids doing so because it hurts their Xbox brand. We can't say Xbox One won't lose more exclusives, but we can figure out the least likely candidates. Those would be Halo 5, Gears of War, and Quantum Break (Microsoft owned IP despite being developed by Remedy) for my money. Sunset Overdrive and Fable Legends I could easily see on PS4 or PC some years down the line.

#18 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2928 posts) -

If they don't own the IP or aren't first party, there's a chance it'll come to pc.

What people seem to forget though, is that this is perfectly normal for MS. Even as a pc gamer, people seem to not realize the average console gamer doesn't care it's not on pc.

Just like with NMS and Grim Fandango, Sony and MS are far more interested in making sure the games don't end up on the others system. I liked Titanfall, and played on PC, but there's a reason it sold more on xb1. Because the average gamer who bought it doesn't care it's on pc since they don't have, and don't want a proper gaming rig.

#19 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25775 posts) -

Sunset Overdrive Sigma will happen a year later, I'm sure. They're not going to miss out on what will be a vastly bigger audience.

#20 Posted by pelvist (4875 posts) -

If the games dont sell enough on XB1 (and at this rate most of them wont) then those exclusives wont be exclusive any more.

#21 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17978 posts) -

you're like the only X1 fanboy, TC lol

#22 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5162 posts) -

Lemming damage control in overdrive.

At least Nintendo and PlayStation exclusives stay exclusive. Spin that.

#24 Posted by RR360DD (11997 posts) -

The exclusives served their purpose. People have bought an XOne for Dead Rising and Ryse (shocking, i know).

The console will be out almost a year by the time they make PC, they're old news and no use to MS anymore with all the new exclusives on the way. I know it damages teh consoles rep in System Wars (LOL) but in the real world it doesn't matter at all.

#25 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2595 posts) -

#26 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9055 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

The exclusives served their purpose. People have bought an XOne for Dead Rising and Ryse (shocking, i know).

The console will be out almost a year by the time they make PC, they're old news and no use to MS anymore with all the new exclusives on the way. I know it damages teh consoles rep in System Wars (LOL) but in the real world it doesn't matter at all.

You are, like, the sole voice of reason in this thread.

And for the record, how could I be a fanboy if a couple of days ago I ripped Microsoft to shreds for possible neglect of Tier 2 countries in Xbox Live infrastructure and functionality?

#27 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5075 posts) -

so what u are saying is ms from now on wont be using 3rd party to make 'exclusives' for them? so gears/halo/forza again??

#29 Posted by RR360DD (11997 posts) -
@Desmonic said:

@RR360DD said:

The exclusives served their purpose. People have bought an XOne for Dead Rising and Ryse (shocking, i know).

The console will be out almost a year by the time they make PC, they're old news and no use to MS anymore with all the new exclusives on the way. I know it damages teh consoles rep in System Wars (LOL) but in the real world it doesn't matter at all.

You'd have a point if the sales for the console hadn't dropped of a clif after the first 2-3 months. So the real world seems to care a litle bit. Price, as the past month proved, wasn't the sole reason for this.

Of course, if the sales were in their favour this tactic would work (much like it did with the X360), but alas it is not the case.

The real world doesn't care because if they did they wouldn't be buying a PS4 either.

I'd say the sales dipping were more to do with the fact we entered the post holiday period. It certainly wasn't because the XOne stopped getting Ryse-calibre exclusives LOL.

#30 Edited by GamersJustGame (322 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: Microsoft studios is the distributor of those games. They were not timed exclusives. They were planned to go to PC. Dumb, I agree. But DR3 is bad ass. I doubt anyone is upset over this. Great games should be played by all.

#31 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9055 posts) -

@gamersjustgame said:

@Salt_The_Fries: Microsoft studios is the distributor of those games. They were not timed exclusives. They were planned to go to PC. Dumb, I agree. But DR3 is bad ass. I doubt anyone is upset over this. Great games should be played by all.

So, DR3 on PC is also released by Microsoft Game Studios? And Ryse too?

Ok, so there's the issue of bipolarity of Microsoft's intents as it has two markets to cater to.

Anyway, only blind fanboys would make a fuss out of this, and I agree that great games should be played by all, though Dead Rising 2 pissed me off in a lot of ways so I'm not sure about DR3 anymore, but I might give it a shot since I loved the first one.

#33 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3759 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Who owns the Quantum Break IP? It's the only game I'm interested because it's made by Remedy.

Remedy.

Sadly , that's not true . Microsoft owns the IP and that's only console game that interests me as well .

http://trademarks.justia.com/859/56/quantum-85956954.html

#34 Posted by Zaibach (13457 posts) -

@Desmonic: I was just about to post this Verbatum.

Well done

#35 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16695 posts) -

AFAIK the IP of QB and Sunset Overdrive is owned by the devs so it could end up on other systems. Most likely PC.

Titanfall 2 won't be "exclusive" or rather excluding Playstation anymore either.

Nothing but Gears/Forza/halo for another gen incoming.

#36 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5162 posts) -

Remember, kids: the Xbone continually losing exclusives and seeding doubt into people's minds about just how "exclusive" the Xbone's exclusives are is no problem whatsoever.

#37 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3759 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

AFAIK the IP of QB and Sunset Overdrive is owned by the devs so it could end up on other systems. Most likely PC.

Titanfall 2 won't be "exclusive" or rather excluding Playstation anymore either.

Nothing but Gears/Forza/halo for another gen incoming.


M$ owns Quantum Break IP . May be a while until we see that game on PC . On other hand I don't expect many AAA exclusives this gen . Games are becoming expensive to make and porting the game to other platforms had never been so easy . It's easy money .

#38 Posted by Legend002 (7220 posts) -

MS depend too much on contracting exclusives externally. Obviously this is going to bite them in the rear especially when they don't own the IP. Nintendo won't have this problem and Sony pushes for IP ownership.

#39 Edited by freedomfreak (41036 posts) -
@Cloud_imperium said:

Sadly , that's not true . Microsoft owns the IP and that's only console game that interests me as well .

http://trademarks.justia.com/859/56/quantum-85956954.html

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks.

You happen to know if Microsoft owned the Alan Wake IP? I guess it's up to Microsoft to decide whether it's coming to PC or not. I can totally see it happening though.

#40 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16695 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

M$ owns Quantum Break IP . May be a while until we see that game on PC . On other hand I don't expect many AAA exclusives this gen . Games are becoming expensive to make and porting the game to other platforms had never been so easy . It's easy money .

Really ? Was Alan Wake owned by MS too ?

I really assumed QB was in Remedy's hands. Shame.

MS has zero interest in porting any games to PC. As shown by Forza 5 (which was even running on PC, never came to PC), Halo collection, new Gears, etc...

@freedomfreak said:

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks.

You happen to know if Microsoft owned the Alan Wake IP? I guess it's up to Microsoft to decide whether it's coming to PC or not. I can totally see it happening though.

Either remedy owned the IP

Or acquired it from MS in a way.

They had to own it in order to publish the PC version without Microsoft.

#41 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5075 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Sadly , that's not true . Microsoft owns the IP and that's only console game that interests me as well .

http://trademarks.justia.com/859/56/quantum-85956954.html

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks.

You happen to know if Microsoft owned the Alan Wake IP? I guess it's up to Microsoft to decide whether it's coming to PC or not. I can totally see it happening though.

remedy owned alan wake, which pissed ms off when they made the better pc version so this time they own the quantium break ip. ryse/dead rising are also owned by crytek/capcom hence the pc versions. fable is owned by ms but it releases on pc, even the fable anniversary is coming to steam

#42 Posted by freedomfreak (41036 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

Either remedy owned the IP

Or acquired it from MS in a way.

They had to own it in order to publish the PC version without Microsoft.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thank God they were able to.

@ghostwarrior786 said:

remedy owned alan wake, which pissed ms off when they made the better pc version so this time they own the quantium break ip. ryse/dead rising are also owned by crytek/capcom hence the pc versions. fable is owned by ms but it releases on pc, even the fable anniversary is coming to steam

So, there's a good chance QB will come to PC. I mean, probably over a year later, but still. I'm sure a lot of it depends on how well it sells.

Let's hope MS doesn't send it out to die like Alan Wake.

#43 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3759 posts) -
@freedomfreak said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Sadly , that's not true . Microsoft owns the IP and that's only console game that interests me as well .

http://trademarks.justia.com/859/56/quantum-85956954.html

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks.

You happen to know if Microsoft owned the Alan Wake IP? I guess it's up to Microsoft to decide whether it's coming to PC or not. I can totally see it happening though.

Alan Wake IP was owned by Remedy but Microsoft had some kind of rights to publish it because they financially supported them . Remedy convinced them to give them rights to publish it on their preferred platform , once they got permission , they released it on PC . Digital version was published by Remedy itself while box product was distributed by Nordic Games .

Quantum Break may appear on PC one day but not anytime soon . I expect it to come to PC, once Xbox One sales are slowed down .

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16695 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

remedy owned alan wake, which pissed ms off when they made the better pc version so this time they own the quantium break ip. ryse/dead rising are also owned by crytek/capcom hence the pc versions. fable is owned by ms but it releases on pc, even the fable anniversary is coming to steam

Hmmm, so MS still publishes Xbox games on PC, but only in some rare cases.

Dunno how they decide PC gamers want Fable Anniversary but not Halo MC collection.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Alan Wake IP was owned by Remedy by Microsoft had some kind of rights to publish it . Remedy convinced them to give them rights to publish it on their preferred platform , once they got permission , they released it on PC . Digital version was published by Remedy itself while box product was distributed by Nordic Games .

Quantum Break may appear on PC one day but not anytime soon . I expect it to come to PC, once Xbox One sales are slowed down .

Remedy actually wanted to do a PC version all along. MS canceled the PC version to promote the Xbox version. But they forgot to promote the game.

Remedy always had the PC code laying around. MS never wanted to do anything with it.

Dunno if they convinced MS or if they paid to acquire the IP. I think it's the latter.

#45 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16695 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Either remedy owned the IP

Or acquired it from MS in a way.

They had to own it in order to publish the PC version without Microsoft.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thank God they were able to.

I thank the Norse Gods daily for this masterpiece.

Own it both for PC and 360.

#46 Edited by Shewgenja (9638 posts) -

Thread # 1083280970894509230923023

#47 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3759 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

remedy owned alan wake, which pissed ms off when they made the better pc version so this time they own the quantium break ip. ryse/dead rising are also owned by crytek/capcom hence the pc versions. fable is owned by ms but it releases on pc, even the fable anniversary is coming to steam

Hmmm, so MS still publishes Xbox games on PC, but only in some rare cases.

Dunno how they decide PC gamers want Fable Anniversary but not Halo MC collection.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Alan Wake IP was owned by Remedy by Microsoft had some kind of rights to publish it . Remedy convinced them to give them rights to publish it on their preferred platform , once they got permission , they released it on PC . Digital version was published by Remedy itself while box product was distributed by Nordic Games .

Quantum Break may appear on PC one day but not anytime soon . I expect it to come to PC, once Xbox One sales are slowed down .

Remedy actually wanted to do a PC version all along. MS canceled the PC version to promote the Xbox version. But they forgot to promote the game.

Remedy always had the PC code laying around. MS never wanted to do anything with it.

Dunno if they convinced MS or if they paid to acquire the IP. I think it's the latter.

There you go :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-how-remedy-convinced-microsoft-to-let-it-make-alan-wake-pc

As @ghostwarrior786 said , Fable is owned by M$ but it also appears on PC . So , QB may appear on PC after some time . So far , they haven't said "NO" to PC version of the game . Things may become a bit more clear in interviews after gamescom demo .

#48 Posted by Alcapello (955 posts) -

It still has forza I don't see what's the big deal is..

#49 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16695 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

There you go :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-how-remedy-convinced-microsoft-to-let-it-make-alan-wake-pc

As @ghostwarrior786 said , Fable is owned by M$ but it also appears on PC . So , QB may appear on PC after some time . So far , they haven't said "NO" to PC version of the game . Things may become a bit more clear in interviews after gamescom demo .

Thanks man, I'll read up on it.

To be honest changes are very slim when it's a MS owned IP. I would've been more optimistic if Remedy owned the IP.

#50 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2928 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@RR360DD: Well, Ryse did sell 1 million >.>... Then again so did Knack....dat buyer awareness.

They did? I couldn't find any info on it. I did find solid info on DR3 and inFamous selling 1 million in 1 month. Shadow Fall passed 2 million (horrible), and it was stimated Forza 5 sold 1 million + aswell.

But i couldn't find concrete info on Ryse and Knack. Do yuo have a link?