Xbone Third party exclusive concerns

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Since there third party exclusive its pretty clear MS does not own the rights to these IP and are just funding and publishing but have no ownership of the IP. Like what Insomniac said one of the main reason they are making it an exclusive to the xbox one is because MS is letting them have ownership of their game they are developing.

Which leaves the question that there is a possibility of these games hitting other platforms like the PC like the case with Dead Rising 3 although its Capcom after all lol What do xbox fans feel about this would it not be a big of deal if it hit only the pc after a certain amount or time rather than the PS4. Do you guys think it might a big weakness in MS part in not trying to have more ownership of these IPs.

BloodyTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BloodyTides
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

Well the xbox one architecture is extremely similar to PC so its easier to port games nowadays than ever. I guess its pretty possible in the future if they really want to make more revenue. Giving that pc games is bought mostly by digital distribution digital sales they wouldn't have to pay any royalties to MS.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Microsoft rarely has a proper 100% exclusive

9/10 times an xbox exclusive title eventually makes it to the playstation and the PC, they have always been about timed exclusivity, the success the timed exclusive DLCs in CoD and many other games are proof of this

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

Well from what I hear MS would probably be be more concern with those third party exclusive coming to the ps4 since Sony is their direct competitor and they wouldn't want them to benefit.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@CroidX said:

Since there third party exclusive its pretty clear MS does not own the rights to these IP and are just funding and publishing but have no ownership of the IP. Like what Insomniac said one of the main reason they are making it an exclusive to the xbox one is because MS is letting them have ownership of their game they are developing.

Which leaves the question that there is a possibility of these games hitting other platforms like the PC like the case with Dead Rising 3 although its Capcom after all lol What do xbox fans feel about this would it not be a big of deal if it hit only the pc after a certain amount or time rather than the PS4. Do you guys think it might a big weakness in MS part in not trying to have more ownership of these IPs.

Honestly, you work with devs on a case by case basis, and I think alot of devs feel as though selling one IP to MS, but owning the rights to it (likely with provisions for bringing it or sequels to other platforms) is what alot of devs want these days. Dead Rising 3 is a great game, sold over one million copies on Xbox One and I could care less its going to PC. Same for Sunset Overdrive if that happens next year. The devs own their IP, which builds a great relationship with the parent company, and MS cares more about timed exclusivity (especially concerning PC) than anything else. I don't see a issue here if its excluisve for six or 8 months and then releases everywhere else. MS will reap the early rewards and after that move on to the next IP. Win/Win for both dev and console provider.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@CroidX said:

Honestly, you work with devs on a case by case basis, and I think alot of devs feel as though selling one IP to MS, but owning the rights to it (likely with provisions for bringing it or sequels to other platforms) is what alot of devs want these days. Dead Rising 3 is a great game, sold over one million copies on Xbox One and I could care less its going to PC. Same for Sunset Overdrive if that happens next year. The devs own their IP, which builds a great relationship with the parent company, and MS cares more about timed exclusivity (especially concerning PC) than anything else. I don't see a issue here if its excluisve for six or 8 months and then releases everywhere else. MS will reap the early rewards and after that move on to the next IP. Win/Win for both dev and console provider.

and win for SONY in exclusives race, right? :D

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

They seem to have a brilliant solution to this concern.

Contract for 3rd party exclusives nobody cares about, such as Ryse. I doubt that game will ever lose it's exclusivity.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

They seem to have a brilliant solution to this concern.

Contract for 3rd party exclusives nobody cares about, such as Ryse. I doubt that game will ever lose it's exclusivity.

Crytek has a lot more to worry about than making a pc version of a terrible game

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

I tell you what boy if this come to PS4, day 1.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#12 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I don't care in reality. I've heard all the "exclusives give a console its identity" shit for years. I don't need DR3 to still be exclusive. I played, because I wanted to. So I didn't wait I bought the game. This is entertainment. I can wait for a movie to come to HBO but if I want to see it, I go see it. I don't wait. I know the main reason I buy Xbox is Halo. I am a big fan. So I play some other games on it as well. I didn't wait for Alan Wake to go PC and am glad I didn't. I loved the game. I play games, don't care who can or cant play the same game on what system. I play games.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Having a game on more systems is good for the devs and the gamers. If you have the system that has a game you want, then you don't need to worry if it goes to another system because you can still play the game. It's not a concern at all in the real world, SW world in the other hand is a different story.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Im always happy when good games get to be on multiple systems.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Sony and its cow followers don't have a problem with sloppy seconds. They'll take what they can get on that "next gen" console.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

This seemed appropriate.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Sony and its cow followers don't have a problem with sloppy seconds. They'll take what they can get on that "next gen" console.

irony there is that the 'sloppy seconds' would be the definitive console edition and therefore wouldn't be sloppy seconds at all but a whole new thing altogether, while MS cries in a corner trying to come to terms with what it's done. Top kek. dat shitbat comment backfire

Why eat the initial badly made meal when you can wait for the chef to make a better one. :P. MS and lems are the beta testers for this entire gen, it'll be better for you to accept it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46198 Posts

@roler42 said:

Microsoft rarely has a proper 100% exclusive

9/10 times an xbox exclusive title eventually makes it to the playstation and the PC, they have always been about timed exclusivity, the success the timed exclusive DLCs in CoD and many other games are proof of this

I wonder if it is a success.

I.e. how can they prove that timed exclusive DLC or timed exclusive games lead to more console sales.

I have personally never bought and will never buy something for timed exclusivity. I have, on the other hand, bought many systems for exclusives.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#21 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

It's not a weakness at all, if you ask me. More people get to play. If you want to treat games like art then don't be such a tool. Be happy when more people get to enjoy the game.

If you're concerned about justifying the console purchase my perception on it is, you got to play the game much sooner than you would have otherwise. By the time the game is ported to other system it's a budget title on the original system so it's a better deal on the original system.

Over all, Microsoft still benefits from the partnership. Their version of the game gets more sales for the period of exclusivity and potentially gains more console sales too. Personally, I thin it's the best sort of "exclusive" deal.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

I don't care in reality. I've heard all the "exclusives give a console its identity" shit for years. I don't need DR3 to still be exclusive. I played, because I wanted to. So I didn't wait I bought the game. This is entertainment. I can wait for a movie to come to HBO but if I want to see it, I go see it. I don't wait. I know the main reason I buy Xbox is Halo. I am a big fan. So I play some other games on it as well. I didn't wait for Alan Wake to go PC and am glad I didn't. I loved the game. I play games, don't care who can or cant play the same game on what system. I play games.

Exclusives do give a console it's identity for multiple reasons.

1)First off, the vast majority of people only buy 1 console - not both. I'm sure many of us on here actually have numerous (if not ALL) consoles - but for most of the world, people are just buying 1 console - and it's a big deal because they might only be able to afford 1 console every few years. This is particularly true at launch when consoles are still relatively expensive. The lineup of games for many people is the highest deciding factor, so it's important. Hell, the only way to sell a console is basically either to have games, or to have marketing/hype. Sometimes they blur the line between these factors by having "timed" exclusives (which in a way, is just marketing).

2)In terms of "idenity", people also look at judging a console over the long term. If you look back at a system like the PS2, there are still tons and tons of amazing games that are ONLY available on PS2. We can barely say that about last gen consoles like PS3/360 since so many of those games are on PC. Rather than looking at the console's legacy in terms of hundreds of exclusive games, there are literally only a few dozen exclusives at most that are worth going back to the PS3/360 to play. The rest of the consoles non-exclusive libraries are worthless, because they are better played on PC.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

If you get an xbox, you'll have to come to terms with the reality that a lot of their exclusives will be released on other machines sooner or later.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@2Chalupas: I don't believe an inanimate object has to identify itself.