"Xbone selling poorly, retailers are getting desperate"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Saw this on Yahoo's front page this morning. How long do you guys think M$ can go without a pricedrop or dropping Kinect? This shit is getting ridiculous lol.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/19/microsoft-corporations-xbox-one-is-selling-so-poor.aspx

Things aren't looking good for Microsoft's (NASDAQ: MSFT ) Xbox One. After what was admittedly a very strong debut, sales of the console have slowed to a crawl. Last month, according to research firm NPD, rival Sony's (NYSE: SNE ) PlayStation 4 outsold Microsoft's console in the U.S. by a ratio of 2 to 1.

Is the runaway success of the PlayStation 4 simply overshadowing Microsoft's latest console, or is the Xbox One not doing as well as Redmond expected? The latter is looking increasingly likely, as retailers such as Target, Wal-Mart, and GameStop (NYSE: GME) have begun to offer heavy incentives on the Microsoft console.

Pushing the Xbox One
If you're in the market for the Xbox One, I'd suggest purchasing it from Wal-Mart or Target. If you buy Microsoft's machine from Wal-Mart, the big-box retailer will throw in a free game worth $50. If you'd prefer to spend the money on something else, Target will give you a gift card for the same amount.

In addition to offering $10 off the purchase of a second wireless controller, GameStop is letting cash-strapped customers reserve the console on layaway.

Good luck finding a PlayStation 4
In stark contrast, Sony's rival PlayStation 4 is virtually impossible to find. Of the six GameStops I called in my area, not a single one had the machine in stock, and none of GameStop's employees could tell me when their next shipment would arrive.

They did, however, offer to ship a PlayStation 4 directly to my house when it turned up -- assuming that I was willing to purchase a nearly $700 bundle that comes with games and an extra controller.

Too expensive and too weak
I had no interest in purchasing that bundle, and I doubt many gamers would. Indeed, the PlayStation 4's greatest selling point remains its price advantage: At just $400, it's a full $100 cheaper than Microsoft's Xbox One.

The PlayStation 4 is also slightly more powerful. Metal Gear Solid V, a game coming to both Sony's and Microsoft's next-generation consoles, will look better when played on Sony's machine.

To many gamers, a minor difference in graphics quality might not matter much -- but combined with the $100 price difference, it may be too much for Microsoft's console to overcome.

Price cut coming?
The Target and Wal-Mart initiatives basically amount to an unofficial $50 price cut, suggesting that Microsoft may need to reduce the Xbox One's MSRP. There are rumors that Microsoft is working on a cheaper version of the console; if recent sales trends are any indication, that cheaper Xbox One can't come fast enough.

On equal footing, Microsoft's console might hold its own against Sony's system, but at what expense? Microsoft could sacrifice its controversial Kinect add-on, or, as has been rumored, roll out a version of the console that does not include a disc drive.

Although cutting out the disc drive would not, by itself, reduce the manufacturing cost by $100, Microsoft would ultimately see more revenue in the long run. Gamers who purchased a digitally dependent Xbox One would have no choice but to buy their games directly from Microsoft's online store, cutting GameStop and other retailers out of the equation.

But Microsoft had better do something. With excess Xbox One inventory driving retailers to drastic action, the company is far behind Sony in the current console war.

You know cable's going away. But do you know how to profit? There's $2.2 trillion out there to be had. Currently, cable grabs a big piece of it. That won't last. And when cable falters, three companies are poised to benefit. Click here for their names. Hint: They're not Netflix, Google, and Apple.

Sam Mattera is short shares of GameStop. The Motley Fool owns shares of GameStop and Microsoft. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

There was a thread already!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Meanwhile

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@I_can_haz: Already a thread on this...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:

@StormyJoe said:

My bad. Yeah this is a duplicate.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

Pro tip: If you don't like the thread, bumping it really doesn't help. Just ignore it.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By I_can_haz
@Heil68 said:

Meanwhile

@Shewgenja said:

@ni6htmare01 said:

@StormyJoe said:

Different source. Different thread.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see the thread by tormentos the lemming slayer. Mods lock this thread plz. Thanks

SDC

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Sorry bro, I was wrong. It is the same source.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 I_can_haz

@Shewgenja said:

:( It's okay.

Mods lock plz.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Cows are trolling poorly. I can haz is getting desperate. The word on the street is he has golden mouth.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

good. it needs a price cut before i consider buying it anyway.

the last thing i was ever going to do was pay extra for kinect.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

inb4 lock.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#13  Edited By leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

the guys says obvious things like x1 is 100 more and ts not sellingwell and then say stupid things like: minor visual difference, ps4 is 80% faster in every game you noob

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Titanfall will change everything

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

MS F Bombed the X1. No one wants One, & the more anyone buys One the more one regrets buying One. LOL!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@clr84651 said:

MS F Bombed the X1. No one wants One, & the more anyone buys One the more one regrets buying One. LOL!

TBH, they're not in an entirely different boat than Sony was last gen.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@ominous_titan said:

Titanfall will change everything

Ya, like change it by 10% maybe? Let's see how you feel come next week after the PS4 launches in Japan where the X1 can't sell even 1 console & sony sells like crazy there.

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#18 Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts
@I_can_haz said:

@Shewgenja said:

:( It's okay.

Mods lock plz.

Done.