Xbone's Always On

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@nyadc said:

@Gue1 said:

To this date I still see a lot of people defending the "always online" approach of the Xbone, particularly the more hardcore MS fanboys. Now, could anybody tell me what would "always online" allow that is not possible with the current system? Because from my perspective there is nothing the "always on" could bring that would make the current system be less shitty, in fact, it'd be the contrary.

I was one of the few people who understood exactly where Microsoft was trying to go with their 24 hour check in version of the Xbox One, a lot of people confused that message horribly. As a 20+ year PC gamer and a day one adopter of the Steam platform Microsoft was simply moving into the PC realm of things, all digital, all online etc. Things are going this direction anyways and have been similar to this in the PC space for the last decade or so, Microsoft was just trying to be ahead of the curve in the console market.

With a console that is actually online focused it could have brought down the cost of games on the system as physical media could have been scrapped nearly all together and many more sales could be offered. Cloud computing could have been at the forefront of game development which could drastically change the gaming landscape. Since online is optional now that completely removed developer incentive in the same way that untethering the Kinect from the system as mandatory removed developer incentive, developers have no idea how many people are online/offline or have the Kinect/don't have the Kinect so developing for it is a waste of time.

Console games are like PC games these days anyways so this console needing to be connected to the internet is pretty much a requirement regardless, this is the same reality on the PlayStation 4. Games need to be updated post release, essentially all of them. Bugs come up, new features are added, DLC comes out etc, gaming these days is completely revolved around internet connectivity. I think the problem was not what Microsoft was trying to do but rather that the console community was just not ready for it or didn't like being told they needed to be connected to the internet, although most are anyways.

I think the whole thing was blown completely out of proportion by a lot of ignorant people who didn't really understand what this meant, I think that Sony wanted to do the same thing as well but seeing as how poorly it was received for the Xbox One they scrapped those plans before having announced anything. The ironic thing though is that the PlayStation 4 is becoming even more like the Xbox One was originally going to be than the Xbox One currently is. Sony is moving a lot of things over to the online side of things, they're pushing digital very hard, they're pushing their TV service, they're pushing their game streaming services, it has more online requirements to get every bit of use out of it than the Xbox does.

Either way by the end of this generation I think that both console will essentially require that you be connected to the Internet anyways so this whole mess was completely unnecessary.

Considering how often the networks for both systems go down, an always online console would have been a disaster. Both PSN and Live were completely shut down for several days near last Chirstmas. Imagine buying one of those systems and not being able to use it at all.

Even with an always online system, I don't see how Kinect would have been successful. Microsoft had a launch line up of games which failed to show off the potential of the device. Even if everyone had one, I imagine most developers wouldn't have bothered due to negative reception.

First off let me start by saying the Xbox One was never going to be "always online", it had a 24 hour check in. Secondly both PSN and Live were not completely shut down for several days, PSN was down completely for 5 days and Xbox Live had large but scattered outages for less than a 24 hour period, it never went down. Kinect based games are a stupid idea, however Kinect integration in games is not and works nearly perfectly. The problem is developers have no reason now to integrate its functionality into their games because they have no idea how many people actually have them.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Xbone's Always On

Please tell me that was intentional.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

I maybe the only one that has kept my Xbox One on 24-7.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@waahahah said:

@nyadc said:

And it wasn't even "always" online, it sent a damn ping to a server once a day...

The problem isn't always online, its the fact that you need to have an internet connection available every day. Not everyone has that available.

Who doesn't have that? Maybe in underdeveloped countries, but don't make me laugh by saying you care about them. This was just a hate campaign

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#55  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@lostrib said:

did we go back in time?

It feels like 2013.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

The hell is a xbox?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Gue1 said:

To this date I still see a lot of people defending the "always online" approach of the Xbone, particularly the more hardcore MS fanboys. Now, could anybody tell me what would "always online" allow that is not possible with the current system? Because from my perspective there is nothing the "always on" could bring that would make the current system be less shitty, in fact, it'd be the contrary.

Off the top of my head

1) Family sharing - we didn't get a lot of details, but one would assume it would be like steam's family sharing program. It would allow you to share online your games (disc or digital) with friends and family, safely and legally

2) Allow you to buy disc based games, but still enjoy the convenience of digital - be able to instant switch disc games with voice commands without having to get up and change a disc

3) allow trading in of digital games and gifting - pretty self explanatory, but as it stands now if you buy a game digitally, you own it for life. This system was going to allow you to buy a game digitally then later on trade it in for credit. Think of it as a digital gamestop. Also if you were done with a game, you could gift it to a friend.

4) allow you to create massive consistent worlds that are still alive while you are not playing - Although one could argue this can be done w/o the always online, it was one of the features they discussed about it.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#58 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

The PS3 was advertised as an always on device too. This is not a new concept.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

The always online thing wasn't even part of their original design, the original design called for discless play (which obviously means game installs, registration, online rights retention, and most most notably - no used games). This would essential mean games whether bought physically or digitally would be treated as digital titles, basically like PC games, and MS already had a strong rights system on the Xbox 360 that didn't require always online.

It was no secret MS was getting hammered on the rumor front regarding the no used game thing, ever before the reveal, and I think they only tried to reverse course on this way too late. They wanted to keep discless play but also allow for used games (which basically just cannot happen!!) 24 hour DRM check was their solution, and horrible one, and not just because it required always online connectivity, but because the used game trade system was going to be a very complex one that would require integration with the used game market. The obvious solution that should have been arrived upon after only a single hour of brainstorming would have been (1) getting rid of discless play (2) and requiring presence of disc; and this means (1) no used game restrictions and (2) no DRM verification.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@nyadc said:

@Bigboi500 said:

More like "sometimes on" because half the time when I press the home button on the controller it doesn't even turn the system on. Great tech going on there.

personal problem =/= system problem

More like a design problem. Faulty controller that loses connection frequently, despite batteries not being drained. Don't know why they opted for AA batteries instead of internal charging via usb.

nothing wrong with AA batteries and they would not be the cause of the issue, people call AA batteries obsolete but they are far from it, there are far more Toys sold every year that use AA's than game controllers for starters and most TV/DVD remotes still use them.

Besides, with USB charging at some point i would have to Slave myself to the console Via a wire which is not good when i sit on the Sofa across the other side of the room when i game, having to have my controller attached to the console to play whilst the Controller is charging kinda defeats the point of having a wireless controller.

But, let me digress, at what times does the controller lose Connection or cut out? is it when the haptic feedback kicks in?

I found with one of my 360 controllers it would cut out and turn off every time the controller rumbled

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

More like a design problem. Faulty controller that loses connection frequently, despite batteries not being drained. Don't know why they opted for AA batteries instead of internal charging via usb.

nothing wrong with AA batteries and they would not be the cause of the issue, people call AA batteries obsolete but they are far from it, there are far more Toys sold every year that use AA's than game controllers for starters and most TV/DVD remotes still use them.

Besides, with USB charging at some point i would have to Slave myself to the console Via a wire which is not good when i sit on the Sofa across the other side of the room when i game, having to have my controller attached to the console to play whilst the Controller is charging kinda defeats the point of having a wireless controller.

But, let me digress, at what times does the controller lose Connection or cut out? is it when the haptic feedback kicks in?

I found with one of my 360 controllers it would cut out and turn off every time the controller rumbled

Doesn't happen often, think I counted twice now. Just out of the blue I hear that achievement "pop" with a message saying to re-connect the controller when I'm in the middle of a game like Battlefield. I have to quickly remove the cover and tap at the batteries, then push the home button and it comes back on. Very weird.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#62 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56061 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@lostrib said:

did we go back in time?

It feels like 2013.

I know, right. I remeber AJ was piss as hell that day.

Loading Video...