Xbone's Always On

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

To this date I still see a lot of people defending the "always online" approach of the Xbone, particularly the more hardcore MS fanboys. Now, could anybody tell me what would "always online" allow that is not possible with the current system? Because from my perspective there is nothing the "always on" could bring that would make the current system be less shitty, in fact, it'd be the contrary.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Always online was scrapped before the console was even released, get with the old times man.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

It was never featured on the console.

Always helps to do research before spouting out nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@drinkerofjuice said:

That stopped being a thing a very long time ago.

except that MS qenuinely tried to pull off that "nonsense".

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

did we go back in time?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

But it's not always on. MS peddled backwards so fast it wasn't even funny.

thr1llh0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thr1llh0us
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

@lostrib said:

did we go back in time?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

@groowagon said:

@drinkerofjuice said:

That stopped being a thing a very long time ago.

except that MS qenuinely tried to pull off that "nonsense".

That they did, only to remove it when met with very negative reception. Despite the fact it was planned, it never actually happened which is what truly matters.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

People still play on xbox? LOL

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@finalstar2007: No finalstar, out of all the millions of xbox 360's and Xbox One's sold, no one ever plays theirs... Ever.. Like I'm not about to play MKX or FH2 on mine.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

This thread belongs in the first half of 2013

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

That's a long time ago, it's in the past bro, get with the times. The Past is history, The Present is the Future, The Future is now.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

halo 5 is the future hopefully

who doesn't love to play halo? kids teens adults its a classic

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

The console isn't shitty and the only people that say it is are Sony fanboys like you....this topic is shitty though.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@Gue1 said:

To this date I still see a lot of people defending the "always online" approach of the Xbone, particularly the more hardcore MS fanboys. Now, could anybody tell me what would "always online" allow that is not possible with the current system? Because from my perspective there is nothing the "always on" could bring that would make the current system be less shitty, in fact, it'd be the contrary.

I was one of the few people who understood exactly where Microsoft was trying to go with their 24 hour check in version of the Xbox One, a lot of people confused that message horribly. As a 20+ year PC gamer and a day one adopter of the Steam platform Microsoft was simply moving into the PC realm of things, all digital, all online etc. Things are going this direction anyways and have been similar to this in the PC space for the last decade or so, Microsoft was just trying to be ahead of the curve in the console market.

With a console that is actually online focused it could have brought down the cost of games on the system as physical media could have been scrapped nearly all together and many more sales could be offered. Cloud computing could have been at the forefront of game development which could drastically change the gaming landscape. Since online is optional now that completely removed developer incentive in the same way that untethering the Kinect from the system as mandatory removed developer incentive, developers have no idea how many people are online/offline or have the Kinect/don't have the Kinect so developing for it is a waste of time.

Console games are like PC games these days anyways so this console needing to be connected to the internet is pretty much a requirement regardless, this is the same reality on the PlayStation 4. Games need to be updated post release, essentially all of them. Bugs come up, new features are added, DLC comes out etc, gaming these days is completely revolved around internet connectivity. I think the problem was not what Microsoft was trying to do but rather that the console community was just not ready for it or didn't like being told they needed to be connected to the internet, although most are anyways.

I think the whole thing was blown completely out of proportion by a lot of ignorant people who didn't really understand what this meant, I think that Sony wanted to do the same thing as well but seeing as how poorly it was received for the Xbox One they scrapped those plans before having announced anything. The ironic thing though is that the PlayStation 4 is becoming even more like the Xbox One was originally going to be than the Xbox One currently is. Sony is moving a lot of things over to the online side of things, they're pushing digital very hard, they're pushing their TV service, they're pushing their game streaming services, it has more online requirements to get every bit of use out of it than the Xbox does.

Either way by the end of this generation I think that both console will essentially require that you be connected to the Internet anyways so this whole mess was completely unnecessary.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ProtossX said:

halo 5 is the future hopefully

who doesn't love to play halo? kids teens adults its a classic

I don't

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Gue1 said:

They had plans for it. Game costs would lower, because piracy wouldn't be possible. They had Family Sharing plan, which meant you could share your games with up to 10 people in your family, over multiple Xbox One's. So you could've bought a game, and I could play it... The only constraint there was that only the owner and one other person could play it at the same time.

I think those were two great reasons to have the always online.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NyaDC
@FastRobby said:

@Gue1 said:

They had plans for it. Game costs would lower, because piracy wouldn't be possible. They had Family Sharing plan, which meant you could share your games with up to 10 people in your family, over multiple Xbox One's. So you could've bought a game, and I could play it... The only constraint there was that only the owner and one other person could play it at the same time.

And it wasn't even "always" online, it sent a damn ping to a server once a day...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@nyadc said:
@FastRobby said:

@Gue1 said:

And it wasn't even "always" online, it sent a damn ping to a server once a day...

Indeed, once every 24 hours... And then everyone complaining about what if the servers are down for a day... What if Sony just shuts down MLB 14 servers after one year? Then what? Apparently nothing.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@nyadc said:
@FastRobby said:

@Gue1 said:

Indeed, once every 24 hours... And then everyone complaining about what if the servers are down for a day... What if Sony just shuts down MLB 14 servers after one year? Then what? Apparently nothing.

Same when Gran Turismo 5 gets its servers completely shut down after merely 3 and half years.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I hate piracy, but I also want to be able to own and collect my games physically, which is why I do not support the always online or downloaded games (unless they're PS+/GwG)

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

always online isn't a bad idea, required online is.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
Loading Video...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

The console isn't shitty and the only people that say it is are Sony fanboys like you....this topic is shitty though.

Agreed.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@nyadc said:
@FastRobby said:

@Gue1 said:

The problem isn't always online, its the fact that you need to have an internet connection available every day. Not everyone has that available.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

More like "sometimes on" because half the time when I press the home button on the controller it doesn't even turn the system on. Great tech going on there.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NyaDC

@Bigboi500 said:

More like "sometimes on" because half the time when I press the home button on the controller it doesn't even turn the system on. Great tech going on there.

personal problem =/= system problem

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@nyadc said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Happens on mine too, if it's not in standby mode it won't allow me to turn it on via the controller.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bigboi500

@nyadc said:

@Bigboi500 said:

More like a design problem. Faulty controller that loses connection frequently, despite batteries not being drained. Don't know why they opted for AA batteries instead of internal charging via usb.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NyaDC

@soulitane: Not once have I ever heard of this issue in a year and a half then two people post back to back in the same thread experiencing it, sounds legit...

@Bigboi500: The connectivity problem which mind you was only experienced by a limited number of users was fixed several months ago...

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soulitane

@nyadc said:

@soulitane: Not once have I ever heard of this issue in a year and a half then two people post back to back in the same thread experiencing it, sounds legit...

So you never having experienced it means it doesn't happen? Not particularly fussed whether you believe me or not, that doesn't change the fact my xbox one won't turn on via the controller when it's not in standby mode.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NyaDC

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

So you never having experienced it means it doesn't happen? Not particularly fussed whether you believe me or not, that doesn't change the fact my xbox one won't turn on via the controller when it's not in standby mode.

I didn't say I only never experienced, I'm all over the internet and I've never heard of another soul experiencing it. Like I said, personal problem =/= system problem, you likely have a defective unit.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bigboi500

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

That's probably what I'm experiencing too. How do you tell if it is in standby mode? I've always just turned the system off and on via controller and didn't know there were other options.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 soulitane

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

That's probably what I'm experiencing too. How do you tell if it is in standby mode? I've always just turned the system off and on via controller and didn't know there were other options.

If you look at the power brick, if the light is white then it's in standby mode (ie quickstart) and if it's orange or red, then it's properly off.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bigboi500

@soulitane said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

If you look at the power brick, if the light is white then it's in standby mode (ie quickstart) and if it's orange or red, then it's properly off.

All I've noticed about my power brick is it's loud as ****. Makes a high pitched humming noise that drives me crazy. :P

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By soulitane

@nyadc said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

I didn't say I only never experienced, I'm all over the internet and I've never heard of another soul experiencing it. Like I said, personal problem =/= system problem, you likely have a defective unit.

After doing a very quick google search, I am not alone in this.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By soulitane

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

All I've noticed about my power brick is it's loud as ****. Makes a high pitched humming noise that drives me crazy. :P

Ok, I can't say I've noticed that with mine, might have a listen next time I turn on my console =p

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bigboi500

@soulitane said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

Ok, I can't say I've noticed that with mine, might have a listen next time I turn on my console =p

I think I get it now: standby mode probably goes in to shutdown mode if you don't play the system for a few days. My power brick has a white light right now since I used the system yesterday. If I go more than a week or so without turning it on, it probably goes in to shutdown mode and then the controller wont turn it on, requiring a manual touch to the front of the machine.

At least I think that's how it goes...

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NyaDC

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

I think I get it now: standby mode probably goes in to shutdown mode if you don't play the system for a few days. My power brick has a white light right now since I used the system yesterday. If I go more than a week or so without turning it on, it probably goes in to shutdown mode and then the controller wont turn it on, requiring a manual touch to the front of the machine.

The console consumes 1.3 watts when completely shut down, this is simply so the console can be turned on by the controller, the PlayStation 4 functions the same, any console that can be turned on from a wireless controller does, there is something wrong with your unit.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By soulitane

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@soulitane said:

That's what I thought, though at times it seems like it shuts down after one day of being off. But yeah, generally it turns itself off after prolonged periods of not being used.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

To this date I still see a lot of people defending the "batarang" controller of the PS3, particularly the more hardcore Sony fanboys. Now, could anybody tell me what would "dildo handles" allow that is not possible with a normal controller? Because from my perspective I shouldn't have made a thread.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NyaDC

@ConanTheStoner said:

To this date I still see a lot of people defending the "batarang" controller of the PS3, particularly the more hardcore Sony fanboys. Now, could anybody tell me what would "dildo handles" allow that is not possible with a normal controller? Because from my perspective I shouldn't have made a thread.

>what would "dildo handles" allow that is not possible with a normal controller

>"dildo handles"

Use your imagination.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@nyadc said:

>"dildo handles"

Use your imagination.

Oh yeah, can't believe I didn't think about it sooner.

Ice skiing!

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NyaDC

@ConanTheStoner said:

@nyadc said:

>"dildo handles"

Use your imagination.

Oh yeah, can't believe I didn't think about it sooner.

Ice skiing!

Precisely!

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

@nyadc: This.

There was nothing wrong with it, I don't see anyone boycotting CoD,BF, Dota,CS, Starcraft 2, WoW and the thousands of other popular ONLINE games that would not work if your connection to the internet went down. Lets be honest, how many people play those single player campaigns?

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Yeah, short online life is pretty bad. How's playing MLB games on the Xbox One?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@nyadc said:

@Gue1 said:

I was one of the few people who understood exactly where Microsoft was trying to go with their 24 hour check in version of the Xbox One, a lot of people confused that message horribly. As a 20+ year PC gamer and a day one adopter of the Steam platform Microsoft was simply moving into the PC realm of things, all digital, all online etc. Things are going this direction anyways and have been similar to this in the PC space for the last decade or so, Microsoft was just trying to be ahead of the curve in the console market.

With a console that is actually online focused it could have brought down the cost of games on the system as physical media could have been scrapped nearly all together and many more sales could be offered. Cloud computing could have been at the forefront of game development which could drastically change the gaming landscape. Since online is optional now that completely removed developer incentive in the same way that untethering the Kinect from the system as mandatory removed developer incentive, developers have no idea how many people are online/offline or have the Kinect/don't have the Kinect so developing for it is a waste of time.

Console games are like PC games these days anyways so this console needing to be connected to the internet is pretty much a requirement regardless, this is the same reality on the PlayStation 4. Games need to be updated post release, essentially all of them. Bugs come up, new features are added, DLC comes out etc, gaming these days is completely revolved around internet connectivity. I think the problem was not what Microsoft was trying to do but rather that the console community was just not ready for it or didn't like being told they needed to be connected to the internet, although most are anyways.

I think the whole thing was blown completely out of proportion by a lot of ignorant people who didn't really understand what this meant, I think that Sony wanted to do the same thing as well but seeing as how poorly it was received for the Xbox One they scrapped those plans before having announced anything. The ironic thing though is that the PlayStation 4 is becoming even more like the Xbox One was originally going to be than the Xbox One currently is. Sony is moving a lot of things over to the online side of things, they're pushing digital very hard, they're pushing their TV service, they're pushing their game streaming services, it has more online requirements to get every bit of use out of it than the Xbox does.

Either way by the end of this generation I think that both console will essentially require that you be connected to the Internet anyways so this whole mess was completely unnecessary.

Considering how often the networks for both systems go down, an always online console would have been a disaster. Both PSN and Live were completely shut down for several days near last Chirstmas. Imagine buying one of those systems and not being able to use it at all.

Even with an always online system, I don't see how Kinect would have been successful. Microsoft had a launch line up of games which failed to show off the potential of the device. Even if everyone had one, I imagine most developers wouldn't have bothered due to negative reception.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

this moron would be ok by now if sony made it *waits for salty tears of rage*

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#50 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@nyadc said:

@Bigboi500 said:

More like a design problem. Faulty controller that loses connection frequently, despite batteries not being drained. Don't know why they opted for AA batteries instead of internal charging via usb.

Lower costs to MS of course. Why else would they?