Xbone GPU downclocked!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Borrowed from Wasdie in the other thread..

From Reddit:

snookums wrote:

So this article at the top of /r/games sounds pretty rosy. They're claiming the esram on the XBO can actually push 192.0 GB/s. That sounds really great...

Except if we read the actual statement, it is this.

However, with near-final production silicon, Microsoft techs have found that the hardware is capable of reading and writing simultaneously. Apparently, there are spare processing cycle "holes" that can be utilised for additional operations.

No, they didn't wake up one morning and realize there was an extra data line in their memory module, so lets drill down to what that actually means.

Apparently, there are spare processing cycle "holes" that can be utilised for additional operations.

In other words, no, it isn't capable of bidirectional data transfer. Their trying to push through a few extra memory operations, but the it's still strictly read or write.

Now, look at the actual numbers. I have to give credit to R_K_M and Boreras for pointing this out. I'm just aggregating, so I'm going to direct quote.

If I am not mistaken, that just means that they lowered the clock from 800 to 750 and are using the bi-directonal bandwith number for marketing when everyone else is using the bandwith number in one direction. - R_K_M

you're right the numbers do match up perfectly for that (750 (GPU clock) * 128 (bus width)*2(read&write during same cycle) = 192.0 GB/s --- if it were 800 MHz you would get 204.8 GB/s) - Boreras

So we can basically confirm that cboat was correct. The numbers tell the truth. The esram has been downclocked, and Microsoft's PR department is trying to spin it as an increase in total bandwidth based on some cycle tricks that are probably being exaggerated.

:lol: TLHBO! Looks like GPU will be going from 1.23TFLOPs to 1.152 TFlops (768sp x 2ops x 750MHz) now that they've downclocked the GPU from 800MHz to 750MHz

Lemmings....

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Wonder where I can buy the computers Microsoft was using at E3 for their Xbox One games
SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

Wonder where I can buy the computers Microsoft was using at E3 for their Xbox One gamesBlabadon

Yup, I'd much rather have that computer than the Xbox One.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

That rat picture freakes me out after playing way to much dishonored. I care little about this downlock anyway.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Lemmings = Chris Bosh

17-chris-bosh-high-five-fail-gif.gif

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

I guess the WiiU and XBO are the new HD twins.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 shadiezz2012
Member since 2012 • 2474 Posts
Wonder where I can buy the computers Microsoft was using at E3 for their Xbox One gamesBlabadon
ask nvidia :lol:
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Quantum break running in real time on XB1:

Shenmue-2.jpg

neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 neo418
Member since 2003 • 586 Posts

Don't worry guys it doesn't have drm anymore. Makes it better than PS4 am right? Halo not made by Bungie is better than PS4 am right? 

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts
Well, i would say wait until official numbers and specs are released and not some forum post................but cows are already celebrating so.......
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

:lol:

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 super600  Moderator

Don't worry guys it doesn't have drm anymore. Makes it better than PS4 am right? Halo not made by Bungie is better than PS4 am right? 

neo418

No one knows how good future halo games may be so it's stupid ot say that.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
How does Cboat get his information
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Bu- bu- they were closing the gap to PS4! :cry:

Cows were gonna be running scared! :cry:

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 super600  Moderator

Well, i would say wait until official numbers and specs are released and not some forum post................but cows are already celebrating so.......navyguy21

From what I read there may be no downclock, but I rather wait for more info first to confirm this. Even if their is a downlock it will be minor most likely.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_can_haz

Shenmue-2.jpg

Douevenlift_bro
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

hahahahahaha downgrade confirmed 

neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 neo418

[QUOTE="neo418"]

super600

No one knows how good future halo games may be so it's stupid ot say that.

You say no one knows a lot, you do know that right? On almost everything! no knows wiiu specs, no one knows xbone, no one knows etc. Where's the fun in that? And historically no game ever made that is made by a developer that is not its original creator has ever been as good as the games made by said creator. 

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 navyguy21
hahahahahaha download confirmedstereointegrity
lol, what was downloaded?
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 I_can_haz

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]hahahahahaha download confirmednavyguy21
lol, what was downloaded?

:lol: Autocorrect probably owned his post. I'm guessing he's posting from his phone or tablet, that happens to me sometimes :P. He probably meant "downgrade complete"

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shadiezz2012

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

Shenmue-2.jpg

I_can_haz

:lol: :lol:

dog-laugh-funny-lol.jpg

rell84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rell84
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

Bu- bu- they were closing the gap to PS4! :cry:

Cows were gonna be running scared! :cry:

Obviously_Right

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 navyguy21
This is the part of gaming that i will never understand i suppose, even at my age. Why do people enjoy bullying and demeaning others?
neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 neo418

This is the part of gaming that i will never understand i suppose, even at my age. Why do people enjoy bullying and demeaning others?navyguy21

Human nature. On topic, well it's a forum that encourages it. 

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

This is the part of gaming that i will never understand i suppose, even at my age. Why do people enjoy bullying and demeaning others?navyguy21

because-aliens.jpg

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

From Reddit:

snookums wrote:

So this article at the top of /r/games sounds pretty rosy. They're claiming the esram on the XBO can actually push 192.0 GB/s. That sounds really great...

However, with near-final production silicon, Microsoft techs have found that the hardware is capable of reading and writing simultaneously. Apparently, there are spare processing cycle "holes" that can be utilised for additional operations.

No, they didn't wake up one morning and realize there was an extra data line in their memory module, so lets drill down to what that actually means.

Apparently, there are spare processing cycle "holes" that can be utilised for additional operations.

In other words, no, it isn't capable of bidirectional data transfer. Their trying to push through a few extra memory operations, but the it's still strictly read or write.

Now, look at the actual numbers. I have to give credit to R_K_M and Boreras for pointing this out. I'm just aggregating, so I'm going to direct quote.

If I am not mistaken, that just means that they lowered the clock from 800 to 750 and are using the bi-directonal bandwith number for marketing when everyone else is using the bandwith number in one direction. - R_K_M

you're right the numbers do match up perfectly for that (750 (GPU clock) * 128 (bus width)*2(read&write during same cycle) = 192.0 GB/s --- if it were 800 MHz you would get 204.8 GB/s) - Boreras

So we can basically confirm that cboat was correct. The numbers tell the truth. The esram has been downclocked, and Microsoft's PR department is trying to spin it as an increase in total bandwidth based on some cycle tricks that are probably being exaggerated.I_can_haz

:lol: TLHBO! Looks like GPU will be going from 1.23TFLOPs to 1.152 TFlops (768sp x 2ops x 750MHz) now that they've downclocked the GPU from 800MHz to 750MHz

Lemmings....

102.4 GB/s per direction doesn't indicate down clock.

neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 neo418

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]

From Reddit:

snookums wrote:

So this article at the top of /r/games sounds pretty rosy. They're claiming the esram on the XBO can actually push 192.0 GB/s. That sounds really great...

Now, look at the actual numbers. I have to give credit to R_K_M and Boreras for pointing this out. I'm just aggregating, so I'm going to direct quote.

So we can basically confirm that cboat was correct. The numbers tell the truth. The esram has been downclocked, and Microsoft's PR department is trying to spin it as an increase in total bandwidth based on some cycle tricks that are probably being exaggerated.ronvalencia

Lemmings....

You're a comp. whiz. Can you be system war's unpaid intern and explain all tech related articles?  

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]This is the part of gaming that i will never understand i suppose, even at my age. Why do people enjoy bullying and demeaning others?neo418

I guess im missing that gene then
neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 neo418

[QUOTE="neo418"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]This is the part of gaming that i will never understand i suppose, even at my age. Why do people enjoy bullying and demeaning others?navyguy21

I guess im missing that gene then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI7VT9W587c

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

LOL seeing cows defending sony exactly as is their religion is so worth it 

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 super600  Moderator

nyzma23

I laugh at all fanboys especially the cows.

neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 neo418

nyzma23

Lol says a lem. Ironic, no? 

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
The Xbox one is a disaster.
shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shadiezz2012

nyzma23
wow look at this comeback from a lem complete ownge right there cows , this guy just destroy you all
neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 neo418

[QUOTE="nyzma23"]

super600

Your're like a sheep/lem hybrid who refuses to like Playstation for some reason. Ironic, no? 

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="nyzma23"]

neo418

Your're like a sheep/lem hybrid who refuses to like Playstation for some reason. Ironic, no? 

So if I don't love sony I hate the playstation. The PS4 interest me a bit(i.e some games like infamous second son interest me), but sony still has a lot of work to do to make me buy the ps4.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]

From Reddit:

snookums wrote:

So we can basically confirm that cboat was correct. The numbers tell the truth. The esram has been downclocked, and Microsoft's PR department is trying to spin it as an increase in total bandwidth based on some cycle tricks that are probably being exaggerated.neo418

Lemmings....

You're a comp. whiz. Can you be system war's unpaid intern and explain all tech related articles?

If X1's information is correct, SRAM is dual ports for read and write i.e. 128bit for read and 128bit for write.

DRAM (e.g. GDDR5) has a single port for read or write, but AMD designed GCN's GDDR5 memory controller to be 32bits wide i.e. more ports for read and write with 256bit or 384 bit external bus. With 256bit external bus(GDDR5), you could have 128bit (four 32bit channels) for read and 128bit (for 32bit channels) for write OR you have various mix of read and write ratios e.g. one 32bit channel in read mode while seven 32bit channels are in write mode.

Multiple 32bit channels for 256bit GDDR5 setup is more flexible i.e. you not fixed to 128bit read and 128bit write modes. AMD is not stupid when they designed their PC graphics.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

[QUOTE="nyzma23"]

super600

What percentage do you hate more cows than the other factions?
neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 neo418

[QUOTE="neo418"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

So if I don't love sony I hate the playstation. The PS4 interest me a bit(i.e some games like infamous second son interest me), but sony still has a lot of work to do to make me buy the ps4.

It's $100 cheaper. Has the best value of any sytem because the price won't be dropping for a long time. Will share 99% of all multiplats. Will have the ever so random awesome exclusive like demon's soul.What is there to not love?  BTW where did you get the sony part? 

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

[QUOTE="neo418"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

ronvalencia

If X1's information is correct, SRAM is dual ports for read and write i.e. 128bit for read and 128bit for write.

DRAM has a single port for read or write, but AMD designed GCN's GDDR5 memory controller to be 32bits wide i.e. more ports for read and write with 256bit or 384 bit external bus. With 256bit external bus(GDDR5), you could have 128bit (four 32bit channels) for read and 128bit (for 32bit channels) for write OR you have various mix of read and write ratios e.g. one 32bit channel in read mode while seven 32bit channels are in write mode.

Multiple 32bit channels for 256bit GDDR5 setup is more flexible i.e. you not fixed to 128bit read and 128bit write modes. AMD is not stupid when they designed their PC graphics.

eSRAM can only do read/write and the same time if two port. Dual port means that it can read/write at the same time but the read and write are at different clock speeds.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="neo418"]

neo418

It's $100 cheaper. Has the best value of any sytem because the price won't be dropping for a long time. Will share 99% of all multiplats. Will have the ever so random awesome exclusive like demon's soul.What is there to not love?  BTW where did you get the sony part? 

The problem is that the launch lineup is pretty small and poor compared to what is coming out for the One(even though that lineup is okay) and the WiiU's lineup for this year.I could technically buy most of the multiplats on the 360.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="nyzma23"]

Giancar

Probalbly 30%-35%. I hate the crazier cows more than the nice and down to earth ones.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 shadiezz2012

[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

Probalbly 3%-35%. I hate the crazier cows more than the nice and down to earth ones.

every console has it crazy fanboys and all of them sux
Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

Probalbly 3%-35%. I hate the crazier cows more than the nice and down to earth ones.

Lems are by far worse here. You just like Xbox so you agree with most of what they say. 

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Giancar"] What percentage do you hate more cows than the other factions?shadiezz2012

True. But the crazier cows are worse than the crazier lems most of the time.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 I_can_haz

[QUOTE="shadiezz2012"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

True. But the crazier cows are worse than the crazier lems most of the time.

lolz you're only saying that because you're a lem pretending to be a manticore.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Giancar"] What percentage do you hate more cows than the other factions?Sagemode87

Lems are by far worse here. You just like Xbox so you agree with most of what they say. 

Most people agree with me. The cows are way worse than man the lems most of the time.