Xbone BC review incoming - my own one

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Coming later on today:

Soon I'll be able to tell you how reliable this service is. However one cannot help but notice all the hitherto playable titles, all 18 of them are Microsoft titles in one way or the other so I'd expect them to work quite flawlessly.

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

You need a bigger hard drive soon.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#3 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Be interested to read dude. Look forward to it.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Salt_The_Fries

@cainetao11 said:

Be interested to read dude. Look forward to it.

I've written a comprehensive review but Glitchspot has eaten it.

I will write one in 5-6 hours from now on, I'm about to leave to work.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

from the whole press conference only limited BC causes some hype, not even halo

haha

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#7  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

haha

You dont like Halo. You dont like Xbox how could you even begin to guage the hype for it. If there is no Hype for Halo 5 what's your call on the sales numbers?

And BC will only be limited by whether devs will allow their games to go BC on X1. Fact is I wont need another console in my wall unit or need to rent the games. Xbox feedback forums. Check them out. What gamers are asking for on there is being delivered.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Send me an invite?

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@sts106mat said:
@lglz1337 said:

haha

everybody already knows halo is going to be fucking awesome, we don't need to keep going on about it.

war has changed

cod is the base FPS for dudebro's and star wars battlefront stole all the halo 5 hype

i can assure you cod will outsell halo 5 excluding ps4 and pc releases!

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Salt_The_Fries

@FireEmblem_Man: Sure, man. Just PM me your gamer tag.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

blog it

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

So here's the deal. If you own digital titles in your Xbox 360 history, they will appear in "My games and apps" -> "Games" section. From there you have to browse all the way to the right and you'll see a list that says "Ready to Install". All your BC 360 games are there.

After you install a game, upon launching, you see a beautiful launch screen, exactly in the same vein as current Gen ones. Then you see a xbox360 booting animation and after that the console will verify your 360 account. Upon my first launch it took a minute and a half because of the initial check but subsequent attempts took as little as two seconds. An old style notification with your gamer tag and info how many friends are online pops up which leads me to believe this is some kind of a proprietary emulator. Then you're in the game. I cannot say if games are enhanced by additional power offered by the Xbone but they look exactly the same as their 360 counterparts. Same for frame rate. Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise which I have tested earlier, worked flawlessly.

The console stores all your saves in the X1 cloud by default, and this is great as well as you can play multiplayer on emulated games, both with other X1 users or native 360 players.

You also get added pizazz in the form of screenshots and recording clips. However, since these games were originally 720p at most, screens and clips make the image seem truncated a bit because of changed aspect ratio.

I've recorded one clip already:

Loading Video...

What is more, You can snap any app alongside emulated game.

Overall I'm very satisfied but I'd like to test more games to be more objective in my assessment.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Salt_The_Fries

@lostrib: You blog * yourself *

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

The fact that Microsoft is doing this sends a really strong message. I'm sure Cows will label it as desperation or whatever bullshit, but committing to a huge task like backwards compatibility that won't yield an immediate profit can potentially be a bigger risk than whatever Sony's planning next for PS4. Yet this is still happening, and it won't cost Xbox owners a cent.

The Microsoft at E3 2013 and the Microsoft at E3 2015 are completely different.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Can you play Modern Warfare 2??

in terms of BC all i really want to play is MW2 and MW3

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@finalstar2007 said:

Not yet, but most likely you will. There will be 100 BC titles by this holiday, including Mass Effect 1 and Borderlands 1, but the rest remains to be seen.

BTW I wanted to add that 360 games also can be launched by Kinect-based commands and games themselves feature vibration, so it's a full unadulterated experience.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Good stuff, this might be the only thing stopping remasters.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Been working great for me too. I tried Mass Effect(disc) and Perfect Dark(digital). When you use the disc version it still downloads the game file from the store. So far I've not encountered any glitches, they really did a great job with this.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

BC is what is driving me more towards supporting my X1 over PS4 and is the reason my brother just chose an X1 over PS4. Givng BC is a classy move, especially when the competition is charging you to play the games you already own.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

This is huge for consoles, HUGE! One of the main reasons for not bothering with a new console this gen was the loss of all of my digital library and needing to have yet another set of boxes under the TV. I had the entire collection of Pinball FX tables and if they become available to me again I may well dive in and explore the bone.

Who knows, maybe one day consoles will be as great as the PC? Pfft, nah who am I kidding.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts
@iambatman7986 said:

BC is what is driving me more towards supporting my X1 over PS4 and is the reason my brother just chose an X1 over PS4. Givng BC is a classy move, especially when the competition is charging you to play the games you already own.

He chose a X1 to play ported version of mass effect and viva pinata?

We haven't even seen any triple AAA xbox multiplat yet anywhere

GTA 5 IS NEVER gonna go for this they WILL NEVER let u play ur 360 version for free on xbone

most probably won't even let you play skyrim or anything like that because these companies dunno if they can trust people pirating or sharing discs or whatever to get the download i certainly wouldn't trust ms with my digital game give aways if i had some huge friggin game or a remaster planned

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ProtossX

@finalstar2007 said:

would this make you get an xbox one if that stuff happened?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44060 Posts

Good thread Salt and good news, thanks for the info.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ProtossX

@sts106mat said:
@ProtossX said:
@iambatman7986 said:

GTA 5 IS NEVER gonna go for this they WILL NEVER let u play ur 360 version for free on xbone

most probably won't even let you play skyrim or anything like that because these companies dunno if they can trust people pirating or sharing discs or whatever to get the download i certainly wouldn't trust ms with my digital game give aways if i had some huge friggin game or a remaster planned

How is mass effect a ported version?

they aren't off the DISC, you download a PC port or whatever to hard drive an then play these games, the disc doesn't spin it doesn't install, we dunno what it does all we know is microsoft sends us the game which must be a port or else what the hell is it?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ProtossX said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Perfect Dark is AAA

You lost

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Do the 360 games work online, too?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ProtossX
@sts106mat said:
@ProtossX said:
@sts106mat said:
@ProtossX said:
@iambatman7986 said:

they aren't off the DISC, you download a PC port or whatever to hard drive an then play these games, the disc doesn't spin it doesn't install, we dunno what it does all we know is microsoft sends us the game which must be a port or else what the hell is it?

Do you even own an X1? the discs dont spin anymore after the install genius. it checks to see you have the disc and then runs from the HDD.

So no, its not a port its a 360 game, the game downloads from the xbox store. its 360 code, but the x1 emulates the 360 OS, even includes 360 achievements and the xbox guide.

okay but how could a weak XBONE handle a 360 emulator when most PC's can't even emulate 360 games without heavy lag something is def fishy bout this no way i buy that a xbone can emulate 360 hardware better than a high end pc and ppl workin oon those on pc

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ProtossX said:
@sts106mat said:
@ProtossX said:
@sts106mat said:
@ProtossX said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Do you even own an X1? the discs dont spin anymore after the install genius. it checks to see you have the disc and then runs from the HDD.

So no, its not a port its a 360 game, the game downloads from the xbox store. its 360 code, but the x1 emulates the 360 OS, even includes 360 achievements and the xbox guide.

okay but how could a weak XBONE handle a 360 emulator when most PC's can't even emulate 360 games without heavy lag something is def fishy bout this no way i buy that a xbone can emulate 360 hardware better than a high end pc and ppl workin oon those on pc

This is a new level of stupid

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@nutcrackr said:

Good stuff, this might be the only thing stopping remasters.

I'd rather have a remaster of a game I really like than a bad looking version that I can just play on my old consoles.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

This is interesting. I am hoping it will work out fantastically. Just got an Xbone after the Rare Collection announcement and BC.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@ProtossX: To answer your question, yes he bought an X1 over the PS4 because he already owned a 360 so he views it as he get's to keep a bunch of those games because of the BC. The list isn't huge right now, but at least they are doing something other than an overpriced rental service. I commend MS for trying this when they could go the PS Now route and make money on it.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: When it launches this Fall, it will have over 100 games ready to play.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Do the 360 games work online, too?

Good question.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@PurpleMan5000: @crashnburn281: according to Microsoft, yep

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PurpleMan5000

@Blabadon said:

@PurpleMan5000: @crashnburn281: according to Microsoft, yep

Well that is interesting. I'm really starting to like the new Microsoft.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Salt_The_Fries said:

So here's the deal. If you own digital titles in your Xbox 360 history, they will appear in "My games and apps" -> "Games" section. From there you have to browse all the way to the right and you'll see a list that says "Ready to Install". All your BC 360 games are there.

After you install a game, upon launching, you see a beautiful launch screen, exactly in the same vein as current Gen ones. Then you see a xbox360 booting animation and after that the console will verify your 360 account. Upon my first launch it took a minute and a half because of the initial check but subsequent attempts took as little as two seconds. An old style notification with your gamer tag and info how many friends are online pops up which leads me to believe this is some kind of a proprietary emulator. Then you're in the game. I cannot say if games are enhanced by additional power offered by the Xbone but they look exactly the same as their 360 counterparts. Same for frame rate. Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise which I have tested earlier, worked flawlessly.

The console stores all your saves in the X1 cloud by default, and this is great as well as you can play multiplayer on emulated games, both with other X1 users or native 360 players.

You also get added pizazz in the form of screenshots and recording clips. However, since these games were originally 720p at most, screens and clips make the image seem truncated a bit because of changed aspect ratio.

I've recorded one clip already:

Loading Video...

What is more, You can snap any app alongside emulated game.

Overall I'm very satisfied but I'd like to test more games to be more objective in my assessment.

Well there it is, megaton. But not just word of mouth from a conference, it's here, it works. Absolutely amazing work from Microsoft.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@ProtossX said:
@sts106mat said:
@ProtossX said:
@sts106mat said:
@ProtossX said:
@iambatman7986 said:

This is a new level of stupid

ROFLMAO !!!, just exactly what I was thinking.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Been working great for me too. I tried Mass Effect(disc) and Perfect Dark(digital). When you use the disc version it still downloads the game file from the store. So far I've not encountered any glitches, they really did a great job with this.

Do you have to put in the disc when you want to play the game the next time? Or does it just treat it like a digital download once you've installed it?

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

Any chance you'd be willing to send me an invite Salt?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@sts106mat said:

Do you even own an X1?

Do people on the board really have such a hard time spotting fakeboy sniper/uninspiredcup clones who play a character?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PurpleMan5000
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@sts106mat said:

Do you even own an X1?

Do people on the board really have such a hard time spotting fakeboy sniper/uninspiredcup clones who play a character?

Uninspired Cup is the best of them, imo. The Protoss/Sniper stuff is just hard to read. Then again, he is my friend, so I may be biased.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Salt_The_Fries

@CrossFire245 said:

Any chance you'd be willing to send me an invite Salt?

Sure, PM me your GT. I'm now busy with some big assignment and might not send it to you right away, but expect it in few hours at most.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Hopefully all future games with gold on 360 will be compatible too.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8046 Posts

@RR360DD said:

Hopefully all future games with gold on 360 will be compatible too.

That would be awesome..

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

**** man, im jelly. wish i was in the preview program

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice